(Topic ID: 282943)

What are your thoughts on driverless cars?

By rai

10 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by seeburg220
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1000x-1 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    long beach exit (resized).jpg

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 10 months ago

My car also has all that safety driver assist crap. Due to how this works - I won't trust driverless cars for a long, long time.

While on interstate going around a curve to right, it thought I was going to run into the car ahead and to left of me - it slammed on the brakes in the middle of a curve. Thank God there was nobody behind me.

The next week while going other direction on interstate and getting off, it thought I was going to keep going straight and hit the exit sign. Again, it slammed on the brakes on the interstate. Again, thankfully there was nobody behind me this time.

Set the cruise control and turn on lane keeper assist on the interstate, EVERY STINKING TIME it thinks I want to get off the interstate at the northbound 72nd street exit. Gotta pull it back every time and now turn it off before I get to that exit location.

I can also go off in rant mode about that stinking German 9-speed transmission. It usually has absolutely no idea as to what gear it should be in.

Still too many bugs in the software.

#102 10 months ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

My car also has all that safety driver assist crap. Due to how this works - I won't trust driverless cars for a long, long time.
    While on interstate going around a curve to right, it thought I was going to run into the car ahead and to left of me - it slammed on the brakes in the middle of a curve. Thank God there was nobody behind me.
    The next week while going other direction on interstate and getting off, it thought I was going to keep going straight and hit the exit sign. Again, it slammed on the brakes on the interstate. Again, thankfully there was nobody behind me this time.
    Set the cruise control and turn on lane keeper assist on the interstate, EVERY STINKING TIME it thinks I want to get off the interstate at the northbound 72nd street exit. Gotta pull it back every time and now turn it off before I get to that exit location.
    I can also go off in rant mode about that stinking German 9-speed transmission. It usually has absolutely no idea as to what gear it should be in.
    Still too many bugs in the software.

The key word in your story is “assist”. That car was only designed to assist if it thinks you may have made a mistake and has no actual AI technology. Completely different tech.

#103 10 months ago

Driverless cars.....w.o.f.t.a.m...

#104 10 months ago

The future
    No one owns a car, there will be public transportation (self driving taxi like cars) to transport you for the short drives.
    The air will be filled with self flying drone like vehicles (that you can own).

At the edge of the city there will be a kind of airport, you get there with public transportation.
    There you can rent or step into your private drone.

All electric, no more airplanes, no more normal cars.
    And there will be millions of e-bicycles for the lower classes.

Greetings Nostradamus

#105 10 months ago

I’m glad to have a nice manual RWD car with nothing except ABS and some stability control (minimal).

Very hard finding sporty cars with manual transmission anymore.

#106 10 months ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Wonder how LIDAR handles weather (downpour, snow, fog). That has to cause of bunch of refraction.

It makes no difference to LIDAR. If you look at some of their data on their site they explain all of that. They had a 40ish video on their site at some points explaining all of it. It was quite impressive.

#107 10 months ago

The issue with personal flight vehicles are unlike ground vehicles where there are ways to mitigate the fatality factor of accidents and make them safer, when you add flying to the mix, any fender bender is 90% likely to become a fatality.

#108 10 months ago

As always it will take longer than we expect to get real "driverless" cars, but also be here before we really know it. A ford leader was saying ~5 years ago something along the lines of "we will be selling a car without a steering wheel in ~5 years". Yeah right. Even IF you had a full driverless car, why would you make it brick when something like the sensors break?

So it is easy to get hyped up on all the progress made, but who knows, maybe in 10 years there will be cars without steering wheels on the roads?

#109 10 months ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

As always it will take longer than we expect to get real "driverless" cars, but also be here before we really know it. A ford leader was saying ~5 years ago something along the lines of "we will be selling a car without a steering wheel in ~5 years". Yeah right. Even IF you had a full driverless car, why would you make it brick when something like the sensors break?
    So it is easy to get hyped up on all the progress made, but who knows, maybe in 10 years there will be cars without steering wheels on the roads?

I don't even trust those cars that start with a button and no key. I will NEVER own a car that "boots up". Much less if there was no steering wheel. The car might crash when it needs a windows update or something like that. Its like Scotty told Captain Kirk "The more complicated that they make them, the easier they are to explode".

#110 10 months ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

...A ford leader was saying ~5 years ago something along the lines of "we will be selling a car without a steering wheel in ~5 years"...

I bet he didn't run that statement by the Ford Engineering team first.

#111 10 months ago

Pinballers are always slow....to adopt new tech.

Williams put mechanical clangers in the first solid state machines, fearing that players would be terrified of games run by computers

#112 10 months ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Pinballers are always slow....to adopt new tech.
    Williams put mechanical clangers in the first solid state machines, fearing that players would be terrified of games run by computers

Bally did that with Evel Knievel, Power Play, Eight Ball.

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside