(Topic ID: 21864)

What are your thoughts about people who nudge/bang on your pins?

By mccoy2797

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Pintucky
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What are your thoughts/feelings about people who nudge/bang on your pins?”

• I allow people to do it. That's part of pinball 115 votes
      80%
    • I don't allow it. People need to respect my pins. They're not cheap, ya know! 28 votes
      20%

(143 votes)

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

I don't like to until I see the owner bangin' them around.

#2 11 years ago

I practised a 'dont you f_cking dare' look.

Post edited by SealClubber : language

#3 11 years ago

Hmmm....I would say there's a difference between "nudging" and "banging". I encourage all of my guest to nudge away. Once they tilt they know their limits.

#4 11 years ago

I set my tilts where i think they should be. If you tilt, you should get the point.

Keep tilting and you will not be invited back.

On other peoples games I play with very little nudging unless I am encouraged by them to nudge more.

#5 11 years ago

Set your pins up with tight tilts and all the bangin will stop. I have mine set up to tilt on the second warning.

#6 11 years ago

Nudging is okay, that's part of pinball. Banging, on the other, is not so okay...

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

Hmmm....I would say there's a difference between "nudging" and "banging". I encourage all of my guest to nudge away. Once they tilt they know their limits.

That's a good rule. I say banging, but it's more like slapping really hard.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from mccoy2797:

I say banging, but it's more like slapping really hard.

Yeah, there's still a difference between nudging and slapping really hard. Personally, I'm not cool with banging or hard hits/slaps. Nudging is just fine.

#9 11 years ago

Off with there heads
    Kidding,nudging yes,banging no.

I don't even have the tilt installed in my games.

#10 11 years ago

Nudging - Okay, it is part of how pinball is played
    Banging - No, most people usually do it as part because of frustration, and not trying to change the ball trajectory.

#11 11 years ago

The games can take it. Set your tilts properly and there is no issue unless someone is rage tilting (after a ball drains). Slap saves and nudging are part of pinball. Bang backs/death saves are frowned upon, as is banging on the glass.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

The games can take it. Set your tilts properly and there is no issue unless someone is rage tilting (after a ball drains). Slap saves and nudging are part of pinball. Bang backs/death saves are frowned upon, as is banging on the glass.

Exactly, I agree with this 100%. Set your tilts, slaps and nudging are a part of pinball.

Banging usually only happens once, then the room goes quiet and everyone stares at the person, that usually brings a "I am sorry" and ends banging on the machines abruptly.

#13 11 years ago

There is a stark difference in a nudge like a small one (machine doesnt move) or big one (machine is in a new position), slap, or death save. I (guilty nudger, and slapper when stuck, but i do not bang machines around on machines that in private collections. I nudge a little harder on machines in wild with loose tilt mechs.
    Owner plays into it
    on DougP's machines I nudge gently, and ditto on future father inlaws machines also.

#14 11 years ago

Slap saves are part of pinball also. It's one thing to be pounding on the machine in anger. It's quite another to be nudging or slapping to save the ball drain. These machines were built to take a beating.

#15 11 years ago

These machines aren't fine china and pinball as a game calls for a ton of physical nuance. As a host the tilt bob settings should speak for you, not dirty stares or awkward social cues.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Nudging - Okay, it is part of how pinball is played
    Banging - No, most people usually do it as part because of frustration, and not trying to change the ball trajectory

+1 same here

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

These machines aren't fine china and pinball as a game calls for a ton of physical nuance. As a host the tilt bob settings should speak for you, not dirty stares or awkward social cues.

#18 11 years ago

I reserve the right to nudge and bang back.

That usually keeps things civil.

LTG

#19 11 years ago

People who don't nudge or slap aren't fully experiencing pinball. Doing it hard enough where people look at you or the machine actually moves from its spot is not nice to do on other peoples machines.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

I practised a 'dont you f_cking dare' look.

I bet it looks similar to your avatar

I encourage nudging on my games. Banging...No Way. When I play other peoples games I only nudge if they say its ok.

#21 11 years ago

Nudging is okay. Pointless nudging or pointless flipper banging (like if the ball is in the upper playfield) bothers me for some reason.

#22 11 years ago

If you aren't getting a tilt warning on every game just go the f*#k home!

Nudging is a requirement. Jedi's must influence the ball, not observe a SDTFM & whine "not fair".

#23 11 years ago

>>bang on your pins?

As long as they Lysol the machine afterwards (and the woman is hot), they can bang all they want

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Nudging is a requirement. Jedi's must influence the ball, not observe a SDTFM & whine "not fair".

Please stay away from my house.

#25 11 years ago

To me the newer games like ironman and AC/dc and x men and tron make you want to nudge because the outer lanes are drainers but if you see the ball going to the outer lanes on these machines it is best to nudge the games.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

BSD gets a slide save at least once a day. I used to death save my TSPP if I was having a good game. I wouldn't go that far on someone else's machines but nudging is part of pinball and not nudging is like playing golf with half of the clubs.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from triadwatch:

To me the newer games like ironman and AC/dc and x men and tron make you want to nudge because the outer lanes are drainers but if you see the ball going to the outer lanes on these machines it is best to nudge the games.

yes I agree.

On AC/DC pro nudging is necessary. But I set my tilts properly so if you are very aggressive you will be tilting.

#28 11 years ago

When you watch the PAPA videos on pins, you see that it is a part of the game. I play my own games "harder" than I would anyone else's though.

My daughter has taken to lightly slapping the side of the machine to try and save out lane drains. She started doing that on my friends fully restored MM at his XM opening party.

I gently whispered in her ear that one machine was worth more than my 3 machines and car combined, maybe she could hold off a little...

#29 11 years ago

If I was that worried about my machines getting knocked around I would collect pictures or models of machines. Besides this is why there is a tilt. You get to rambunctious on one of my machines your turn ends. People learn to play within the limits of how I set my tilt.

#30 11 years ago

It's not just about tilt settings imo. Anyone getting aggressive without asking first shows lack of respect for your property. It's a common sense, courtesy thing. Folks visiting my house need encouragement to nudge at all, even when they can plainly see I'm a nudger when it's my turn. I have good friends.

You don't drive someone elses car unless they throw you the keys. And even then, you take it easy unless they say 'give it some gas.'

#31 11 years ago

LOL, these games can handle more abuse than one thinks. It depends on what I see players doing. I have all the tilts in my games set as liberal as possible, but every adjustment on the playfields are set as conservative as can be. I let my guests figure out what they can get away with while I'm there. If they get real crazy and start dancin' my games around the room, I'll let them know. There are a few good players that can get away with it (when it's a small group at the house), sometimes it's fun to watch Fred and Ginger get it on.

#32 11 years ago

Set your tilt settings accordingly. If you're the type that doesn't want any nudging, you can set the machine's up extremely tight with only 1 warning (or no warnings if you really want no nudging). I have mine setup pretty tight, mostly so I don't get in a habit of moving them around too much.

As a rule, I always try to take it easier on other's machines more than my own.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from SPeD66:

It's not just about tilt settings imo. Anyone getting aggressive without asking first shows lack of respect for your property. It's a common sense, courtesy thing. Folks visiting my house need encouragement to nudge at all, even when they can plainly see I'm a nudger when it's my turn. I have good friends.
    You don't drive someone elses car unless they throw you the keys. And even then, you take it easy unless they say 'give it some gas.'

I disagree. Pinball is meant to be played physically, with the tilt setting the boundaries. Friends who come over to play here know how to treat a game. My tilts are medium, allowing a fair amount of motion. Slap saves are often helpful for saving the ball, and they can be loud and move the game a bit (legs are on pads on hardwood floor). I have no problem with that, and wouldn't think of asking someone to 'baby' my games when they're not even tilting. If you don't like the physical play, tighten your tilt as others have suggested. Slamming or kicking the game out of frustration is a no-no (and I will say something to that), but aggressive nudging is fine--I let the game decide what it can handle. I wouldn't inhibit guests from playing their own style. I have good friends too--they know how to play pinball, aggressively when needed, but won't abuse a game for the heck of it.

This thread and the comments illustrate a minor peeve of mine. Pinball machines are meant to be PLAYED. That basic purpose is being lost on a lot of the noobs to the hobby, who seem more obsessed with owning pretty objects and adding LEDs and new cabinet decals and leg protectors and crap than with having a mechanically tweaked and tuned game that plays perfectly. If you want something that looks pretty and pristine, buy some artwork and hang it on the wall. If you want to play some smooth pins your own way, no worries, then stop on by here!

#34 11 years ago

[double post!]

#35 11 years ago

I took Space Shuttle to TPF. Do I really need to qualify which way I voted?

I have had some EPIC saves on Tron from aggressive nudging... I wish I could get one on video. Like seriously the ball ricocheting between the mini post rubber and the outlane rubber for 3-4 seconds then coming out...no way.

#36 11 years ago

Well said StevenP, these are machines that were built to play, not to look at. Slaps and nudging are part of the game. If people are too hard then up your tilt and settings, that's what they are there for. If you are a person who wants no nudging or tilting, then you picked the wrong hobby. Look at all the forces on the play field, the metal ball smashes everything and hard, they were built for it. If you are punching or kicking the machine, you would be kicked out of the arcade, common respect should be easy to figure out.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Pinball machines are meant to be PLAYED. That basic purpose is being lost on a lot of the noobs to the hobby,

It's funny. All growing up, I've never really known anyone who liked pinball besides me. Before papa videos and all that, I always thought nudging and sliding was something you weren't supposed to do. Then I played a pinball videogame and they had buttons to slide and bump. Now why would they put those in a videogame if it was something you weren't supposed to do?

That's one of the reasons I love pinball, it's like a form of videogame that can be physically manipulated to your will. Too rough? That's what tilt is for.

#38 11 years ago

If you don't want it set the tilt tight and let the machine do your talking, no dirty looks required.
    I'm a nudger because TZ has trained me to be... lol

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Matt1724:

If you don't want it set the tilt tight and let the machine do your talking, no dirty looks required.
    I'm a nudger because TZ has trained me to be... lol

Yup, some games need to be nudged or they're not fun at all. Try playing the local IM that consistently drains halfway right-ramp shots unless you bump the cab on the way down. No way I would play it if I couldn't bump it to prevent the sdtm, and no way would I tell someone else they couldn't try to save the ball while playing my pins.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Well said StevenP, these are machines that were built to play, not to look at. Slaps and nudging are part of the game. If people are too hard then up your tilt and settings, that's what they are there for. If you are a person who wants no nudging or tilting, then you picked the wrong hobby. Look at all the forces on the play field, the metal ball smashes everything and hard, they were built for it. If you are punching or kicking the machine, you would be kicked out of the arcade, common respect should be easy to figure out.

Exactly. As a side note, what you say about the ball really beating on things inside the game is true. Check out the slo-mo close-up shots on the Pinball 101 DVD. It's amazing how much the various parts bend and move when hit. OTOH, the cabinet is a heavy reinforced wooden box on solid steel legs. And people are afraid of it being nudged or moved a little? *sheesh* What exactly do these people think will be damaged anyway?

#41 11 years ago

I'm starting to understand why most folks on here hate WoF....they are anti-nudging. Yeah, yeah the theme isn't good (although very well-integrated) and the software needs some polish....

#42 11 years ago

Nudge away. These are commercial games, and mine are kept tight, so if you're banging away too much it'll tilt. If you bang it around after that point, no worries -- it's a commercial game, it can handle it.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

This thread and the comments illustrate a minor peeve of mine. Pinball machines are meant to be PLAYED. That basic purpose is being lost on a lot of the noobs to the hobby, who seem more obsessed with owning pretty objects and adding LEDs and new cabinet decals and leg protectors and crap than with having a mechanically tweaked and tuned game that plays perfectly. If you want something that looks pretty and pristine, buy some artwork and hang it on the wall. If you want to play some smooth pins your own way, no worries, then stop on by here!

Well said Steven! That's exactly what I was getting at when I said I might as well collect pinball pictures or models.
    I've actually been waiting for the day when somebody gets a high end restore and encases it in glass for display purposes only.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

I agree with you 100% there. I like to have a little wiggle room on mine and hate when some pins are set up so tight that they tilt on normal flipper pressing during multiball. That's going a bit to far IMO. So my tilts are not set super tight but tight enough so you can't go too far with it. I have no issues with guests getting a double danger to save a ball it's part of the game.

#45 11 years ago

Nudging and slapping are encouraged at my place. I nudge, push, slap soft, and slap hard all my machines. A few of my machines are $3k+ machines...

Kicking, punching, slamming the glass, or some similar machine destroying motion will get you a quick talking to for the first offense, and thrown out on the street for the second.

#46 11 years ago

I set my tilts tight so there is little room for excessive caveman style nudging/slaps but they can still be done skilfully which is all part of pinball! But if someone doesn't respect my pins and bangs them excessively my shovel tends not to respect their head!

#47 11 years ago

that's what they are for. They are made to handle little kids banging on them for hours, I think they can handle some mass shaking from friends when they come over. My LOTR was NIB and I shake the living shit out of that machine.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I reserve the right to nudge and bang back.

That usually keeps things civil.

LTG

Christ i have seen Eric move a machine 2 feet at your place.

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Christ i have seen Eric move a machine 2 feet at your place.

I know a guy (played with him in a local league) who could slide a machine 6-8" without even a tilt warning. Tilt was normal sensitivity too.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from Linolium:

Nudging and slapping are encouraged at my place. I nudge, push, slap soft, and slap hard all my machines. A few of my machines are $3k+ machines...
    Kicking, punching, slamming the glass, or some similar machine destroying motion will get you a quick talking to for the first offense, and thrown out on the street for the second.

Respect the machines, but don't baby them!

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-thoughts-about-people-who-nudgebang-on-your-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.