(Topic ID: 15671)

What are your outlanes set at?

By Turkey_Robinson

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I just set the outlanes on my Genesis to the easier setting. I felt too many balls were draining into the outlanes due to the side bumpers hitting it right towards the outline gaps. I didn't feel it was due to player error either. The way the bumpers line up it's pointing right at the tops of the lane entrances. A lot of times, even if you don't shoot it at the mid-bumpers it catapults it straight to the outline gap to the drain. Now it seems that they never drain into the outlanes. I feel like it might be too easy now, but it's only been 2 hours since I switched it. Let's just say that the third time I played it after changing them I got the 2nd highest score I've ever reached on it.

Genesis has no ball-save feature so it's rather cruel sometimes. When the lanes were set to the larger gap, it was about a 50/50 drain ratio between the outlanes and the center drain. Now i feel like that percentage is going to sway a bit.

So where are your outlines set? Also, what's your reasoning behind the setting? Do you like an easier or harder game or is there some other reason entirely?

#3 11 years ago

Mine are all completely open as far as I know. STTNG is for sure, and that's definitely the drain monster out of the three I own. I don't have the extended lane guides for it either.

#4 11 years ago

Middle mostly, but I'm not playing competitively so I like easy setting on some more challenging pins to even things out. Whatever makes it fun for you is what you should do.

#5 11 years ago

I like it when a pin has holes to adjust the outlanes instead of the slide slots. An odd number of holes preferably so I can have the pin in the middle one.

I'm all about running things default. I really wish tilt bobs had a default or notched setting though I never have a problem with tilting unless the tilt is unreasonably set. Tilting during excited play when you are not even trying to nudge is pretty crazy in my opinion. I was playing in a tourney this weekend and tilted 2 times during multiball and I wasn't even attempting to nudge. I saw players on other games move the machine over 6 inches and only get a warning. If there was a more standerdized system of adjusting a tilt...this wouldn't happen.

I would also have a hard time owning a game that needed a "fix" so the ball doesn't drain SDTM (AC/DC or Iron Man come to mind...or STTNG's extended outlane guides). I would really have a hard time feeling good about a score when I know I added something to make the game easier. If it's a design flaw...the game manufacturer should issue a service bulletin and make the "fix" official. Don't get me wrong....I wouldn't even play a AC/DC more than a game or two unless it had the fat rubber fix, but I would have an issue with owning one and having the unofficial "fix" in place.

Also if a game comes with a pin between the flippers....leave it there. (Default rant over).

#6 11 years ago

I've got all of my pins set at the most narrow of openings for the outlanes. I want all the fun I can get!

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

Also if a game comes with a pin between the flippers....leave it there.

Word. Drain pins are the best thing in pinball. I love watching the ball come all the way from the top of the playfield and BOINK off that thing, and knowing that I let it happen because it was less risky than flipping at the ball.

I like the drains on STTNG with the default lane guides. It encourages me to practice nudging. I just shake my head every time I see the ball go over there though....when my wife is playing. She just watches it drain.

#8 11 years ago

Narrow as I can get them, I play for fun and reaching the wizard mode on most of my games takes some serious work so I need all the ball time I can get.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

Also if a game comes with a pin between the flippers....leave it there.

Couldn't agree with you more +2 on that. Sometimes things can back fire when you think it is SDTM and it is slightly off resulting in a drain. If it is standard I leave it if it never came with one I don't add it. Those that tend to think they have a better idea of how a game should be laid out than the design team are often out of touch with reality IMO.

On games with holes for adjustments I usually keep them one or two notches above the tightest settings. On slides I keep them a bit tighter than the middle. I have friends and family that do not play all the time and I think setting them wide open could result in them having less fun. I like to see some of them that don't play a lot have a blast and still be able to complete a few things in the games.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Turkey_Robinson:

I just set the outlanes on my Genesis to the easier setting.

You only get two settings on each side on Genesis?

When the lanes were set to the larger gap, it was about a 50/50 drain ratio between the outlanes and the center drain.

About? Did you check your audits? Not sure if system 80's kept those audits, but if there, they'll tell you exact numbers. If it's too easy now and there is only two settings, try just opening the right outlane. Most players are right handed. The right outlane should always be even or wider open than the left outlane. Generally speaking, closed right outlane = bigger scores.

To answer your question, my FGY currently has the fat right outlane post completely removed. It was used in the tournament at CAX last year and I didn't change any settings when I got it home. The left outlane is 2/3 open and it's steep as hell. Center post is disabled (and stupid anyway).

#11 11 years ago

Middle, usually.

If I recall correctly my IM had four settings, I chose second hardest.

#12 11 years ago

So where are your outlines set?

For myself, I set them open...if the grand-kids or novices are coming over I set them either to the middle to to narrow...depends on the game.

Nothing bums out a novice like a side drain (through no fault of their own) when they can barely keep the ball alive with the flippers.

Robert

#13 11 years ago

I put rubber flipper rings in the outlanes for the kids. I like them narrow myself.

Jim

#14 11 years ago

PHISH, Yes, the genesis only has 2 hole settings on each side. I was thinking today maybe I could just drill another hole in between those 2 and have 3 settings, but I'm going to play it for a little bit longer and see how things go. As for checking the audit....well.....my test button doesn't work. I've thought about that long and hard too. I've come up with not replacing it. A little because it seems like a lot of work for something that, up until now, I haven't used or really needed and also because I'm not even sure that it's a part I can get. I looked a little bit but the test button and the volume knob are connected so it would have to be a pretty specific part.

I like the idea for opening up the right lane a little more. It makes complete sense and now that I think about it, I may have seen some pins out at bars that have that exact same setting.

Also, what's FGY? family guy?

#15 11 years ago

Fgy: middle
    TFLE: middle with rubber
    LOTR: open with rubber
    BBH: narrow/easy on left; middle on right

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-outlanes-set-at and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.