(Topic ID: 197627)

What are your favorite playfield features?

By PinballBJB

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by westofrome
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What are your favorite playfield features?”

• Ramps 43 votes
      22%
    • Upper playfields 14 votes
      7%
    • Scoops 6 votes
      3%
    • Drop targets 34 votes
      17%
    • Pop bumpers 7 votes
      4%
    • Spinners 22 votes
      11%
    • Magnets 31 votes
      16%
    • Bash toys / unique game-specific toys 31 votes
      16%
    • Other (loops?)(comment to say what; not "flippers" wiseguy) 9 votes
      5%

(Multiple choice - 197 votes by 92 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-21 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballBJB.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Would be interesting to get a general idea of the popularity of various playfield features relative to each other.

I'm not familiar with a way to do a Pinside poll that allows voters to give rankings for the options. (Sorry if I could've done that but didn't know how.) So I guess the simpler, non-scientific way to do it is just to ask you to vote for the two or three (or four?) features you prefer best from the list. The poll allows you to choose more than one.

Even better, if you're willing to post a comment to give some rankings or explanations, that would be much more fun.

Thanks for participating!

#5 2 years ago

I did realize too late that EXTRA flippers would've been a good addition to the list. I used all of the slots that the Pinside poll tool allows, but if I'd thought of extra flippers when I was building the poll, I might've listed them instead of scoops, maybe.

#9 2 years ago

Interesting - no votes yet for scoops. Probably I should've omitted them from the list and used that slot instead for something like subways, extra flippers, or loops.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Shaker motors and crazy habitrails

This is interesting; do shaker motors technically count as part of the playfield? They're great but maybe they're separate features like DMD, LCD, sound?

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

I went drop targets and pops. I love seeing my conquests in the form of drops. And pops because they offer variable outcomes and keep the ball fast. Plus both of those options gives you a physical and audible reaction.
    In regards to pops though, placement is key. If you're hiding them or if they don't really effect a possible drain, then they are less interesting.

Excellent points.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Scoops are fun, but they have to be deep below the playfield to really feel satisfying. Those shallow ones like on Ghostbusters just don't do it for me. Not sure why, though. I guess it just "feels" good when the ball goes under the playfield.
    I love drop targets. Absolutely love them. On new games, old games, they fun to shoot for, give a clear indicator of progression, and they transcend generations.

I agree. Especially about scoops having to go all the way under the playfield.

#20 2 years ago

Ramps and drop targets in the lead so far.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spagano314:

The hologram on Creature.

spagano314 That's a new angle -- not just generic features but which games have the most interesting unique features -- I like the interpretation. So many possibilities for that question; I'll have to think about it. Some contenders that come to mind quickly are the castle in MM, the magic trunk in TOM, the gumball machine in TZ, and the spinning house in WOZ.

1 week later
    #36 2 years ago
    Quoted from Toads:

Inline drops forget em.
    There's a new kid on the block.
    The Danesi lock.TNA.

I admit that the multiball lock on TNA is very cool. Played the prototype at Southern Fried Gameroom Expo in Atlanta in June and really liked that feature. It caught me by surprise when the ball locked between the drops but the second it did and I understood what was going on, it was a wow moment.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Yes! Loops and orbits are cool. When I was younger I always liked ramps. Now I love orbits and loops.
    Nothing more satisfying than hitting that tough outside loop and have the ball come screaming back around to the flipper just to hit that same loop again.

Definitely an awesome feeling.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Various Other Swag
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Hardware
    The MOD Couple
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 49.00
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 13.00
    Playfields
    Lermods
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 150.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 12.75

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballBJB.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside