(Topic ID: 260221)

What are your favorite OEM toppers of all time and why?

By Mr_Tantrum

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I know there are varying topper discussions here on Pinside, but after recently being reminded of a few toppers I thought I would ask everyone what their favorites of all time are and why? I'd also be interested if anyone has every bought a pin with the topper being their top reason why they wanted the title?

When I first got into pinball a few years ago, I wondered what the big deal was with toppers. I'd see threads here on Pinside or hear conversations, and pretty much thought, "meh!" After all, what significant interaction did they have with the player? Now that I've been in the hobby for a few years I've come to appreciate the art and creativity of pinball design, including toppers. Of course, many are more than just static artwork, and many are even interactive with gameplay.

With that stated, the few that come to the top of my mind that I really like are:

- AFMr LE | I love being taunted by the Martian leader.
    - Whirlwind | I was really surprised the first time I was playing this game at a show when the fans cranked up. I couldn't believe how much airflow they blew in my face.
    - The Jetsons | I know this pin doesn't get much love, but I really like how the topper actually represents game progress.
    - The Getaway, F-14, et. al | While the beacon lights on these games may not officially be defined as toppers, I love when I'm playing in a dark room and the beacons fire. Just seeing and feeling the lights rotate around on the walls of the room add to the overall excitement feeling of that moment in the game.

#2 4 years ago

Fish Tales it's interactive and it's always an eye catcher

F-14 the beacons matches the theme gets tou excited when they start going off

Twister and Whirldwind with the fans very cool topper

Game Of Thrones always thought it was pretty cool watching the dragon wings flap and the houses light up on it.

#3 4 years ago

White Water and Kiss.

#4 4 years ago

Whitewater topper is always a hit.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Whitewater topper is always a hit.

I've seen this at pinball shows and thought it was really cool. Does it look even better in a dark room? How exactly is the waterfall effect created?

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've seen this at pinball shows and thought it was really cool. Does it look even better in a dark room? How exactly is the waterfall effect created?

There's a special foil layer of the wterfall that reflects the light just right.
    Doesn't work with LEDs, & apparently, almost impossible to recreate.

#8 4 years ago

Hard to say. Is it dependent on artwork/design or theme integration? Hard to beat GB and KISS on the modern sterns for integration. As for artwork and design, the old Bally/Williams games had some really nice ones. In addition to those already mentioned, I always liked Judge Dredd topper.

#10 4 years ago

Modern topper: AFMLE
    Classic topper: Doctor Who with the moving dalek. Second would probably be W2O. Beacon toppers probably rank after that for me. I like toppers that actually do stuff.

Honorable mentions:
    Teed Off
    Bone Busters
    Whirlwind & Twister
    Fish Tales
    Rescue 911
    F-14
    High Speed

#11 4 years ago

The Kiss topper is awesome. I bought the topper before the game.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Steve_d71:

The Kiss topper is awesome. I bought the topper before the game.

I need to track down a video to see it in action. Photos look really cool. BTW, yesterday was Paul Stanley's b-day.

#13 4 years ago

Whitewater and whirlwind. This is why i think toppers should do something special.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I need to track down a video to see it in action.

LTG : )

#15 4 years ago

My 35 years ago teenage uber KISS fan loves it!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-favorite-oem-toppers-of-all-time and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.