(Topic ID: 252384)

What are your favorite Halloween movies?

By ForceFlow

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-10-21 at 8.56.43 PM (resized).png
Elvira’s-Haunted-Hills-692x1024 (resized).jpg
713uuaLPkfL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
elviria (resized).jpg
IMG_6582 (resized).png
D3B66E06-5256-439B-9855-6690C15F655F (resized).jpeg
F2A947DE-12BB-436F-B26B-465464162B31 (resized).jpeg
5EC618BA-BFA4-445B-A07A-439DAEA87212 (resized).jpeg
 Frankenhooker (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
9892F69C-44B2-4DF4-B1B2-165932A7128B (resized).jpeg
0_EuAyvh3vyjUL8vtv (resized).png
Prince-of-Darkness-1-600x847 (resized).jpg
pod1-768x438 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191031_183756040 (resized).jpg
There are 227 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 1 year ago

Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities looks promising (starts on 10/25). Any other upcoming releases you're looking forward to?

#202 1 year ago

Frankenstein (1931).

Mic drop. That guy is obsessed with his work. I love it. Colin Clive puts on a fantastic performance. Boris Karloff is over.the top.

Not only the best horror movie, but one of.the best movies ever.

... Except Star Trek 2:. Wrath of Khan. I still have whiplash from the first movie that sucked as so much then Khan being one of the best movies ever.

#203 1 year ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Frankenstein (1931).
Mic drop. That guy is obsessed with his work. I love it. Colin Clive puts on a fantastic performance. Boris Karloff is over.the top.
Not only the best horror movie, but one of.the best movies ever.
... Except Star Trek 2:. Wrath of Khan. I still have whiplash from the first movie that sucked as so much then Khan being one of the best movies ever.

The family just took in a double feature of Bride and the Mummy last week - I also prefer the original Frankenstein but there is no doubt Bride is a superior movie. Can’t beat crazy evil Dr Pretorius!

#204 1 year ago

Anyone catch the latest jeepers creepers movie yet? The ratings look abysmal, unfortuantely.

#205 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Anyone catch the latest jeepers creepers movie yet? The ratings look abysmal, unfortuantely.

The first Jeepers Creepers was OK….the rest pretty much are horrible.

A better movie IMO is Joy Ride…Paul Walker is in it and it’s actually a good flick.

Another thing with horror movies that makes a difference is what you prefer…suspense/scares or full on gore….I tend to enjoy more of the suspense and twists of a good story versus a predictable slasher flick….an example is the first Saw movie was great. It had a unique twist. The rest of the series just went for gore…it lost the charm of the first movie.

While not a movie the new Chucky TV series is OK if you enjoyed the Child’s Play movies.

#206 1 year ago
Quoted from Pickle:

A better movie IMO is Joy Ride…Paul Walker is in it and it’s actually a good flick.

Can confirm this. I'll have to watch it again this month.

More of a thriller than a horror, like you said. But still a good flick.

#207 1 year ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities looks promising (starts on 10/25). Any other upcoming releases you're looking forward to?

I plan to check it out!

#208 1 year ago

Killer Klowns from Outer Space! Would love to see a pinball machine. A video game is coming soon!

2 weeks later
#209 1 year ago

Instant classic, best horror flick I’ve seen this Halloween season.

D3B66E06-5256-439B-9855-6690C15F655F (resized).jpegD3B66E06-5256-439B-9855-6690C15F655F (resized).jpeg
11 months later
#210 9 months ago

It's that time of year again! What's everyone watching?

I'll definitely be checking out Mike Flanagan's new (last? ) Netflix series, The Fall of the House of Usher.

I started watching No One Will Save You on Hulu and got interrupted, but I liked what I saw so far.

#211 9 months ago

I just signed up for Shudder for the first time, a bit underwhelmed to be honest. Will be watching some Joe Bob Brigg’s, if you’ve watched them let me know your favorites.

#212 9 months ago

If you like the found footage thing, try Hell House LLC streaming pretty much everywhere. You can even watch it on YouTube.

It won’t win any academy awards, but there are some really creepy moments, even for a jaded horror viewer. The sequels are less than stellar, but the first is really good.

#213 9 months ago
Quoted from cookpins:

I just signed up for Shudder for the first time, a bit underwhelmed to be honest. Will be watching some Joe Bob Brigg’s, if you’ve watched them let me know your favorites.

Shudder rotates its content very frequently - Joe Bob certainly has brought a huge new life to the channel, so they're increasing his presence next year - 2 specials I think, and 30 some weekly episodes. I just watched the Hellraiser 2 episode; he has Ashley Laurence AND Doug Bradley on; great interviews.

The Shudder programming MO is a small handful of "big" movies, and a lot of cheaper-to-license indie movies or foreign films. Almost everything on there is really great for the particular sub-genre of horror (i.e. found footage / folk / slasher / asian horror / etc), but several of those genres are of the "bad on purpose" Z-movie variety, so you may want to kind of avoid those. Typically the "big" movies are of the more-successful-but-still-independent variety (for example, this is why Halloween is there)

Their unique content is REALLY good too. The horror documentaries (particularly "Cursed Films" and "Horror Noire") are awesome)

Finally: if you like the content but it's not bowling you over, subscribe to AMC+. Shudder is owned by AMC, and while the UI absolutely sucks, the AMC+ app has all the same content - except I think for the "live" Joe Bob events, which are added afterwards.

1 week later
#214 9 months ago

Here are my recommendations to fun halloween films you probably don't know:

Nomads 1986 - Peirce Brosnan, Adam Ant, John McTierman's first film.
The Uninvited - 1944 - Black and White, some humor too
Near Dark 1987- Kathleen Bigelow directed, Bill Paxton, Lance Hendriksen, vampires
Curse of the Demon 1957- watch the British version, called Night of the Demon in US, but US version cut out some scenes. Has an unfortunate bad model effect at the end, but still good - Kate Bush sampled this film's dialogue in "Hounds of Love"
Shadow of a Vampire - a movie about filming Nosferatu, with John Malkovich and William DaFoe
Legend of Hell House 1973 - mystery in a dangerous haunted house, the great Roddy McDowall

And then my favorites for the season (don't care for gore):

Fright Night 1986 - Brilliant performance by Chris Sarandon, and the awesome Roddy McDowall, Brad Fiedel score, just awesome
John Carpenter's The Thing, The Fog
Sleepy Hollow - Johnny Depp, Christina Ricci
The Mummy - more action adventure, I know, but still - Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz
1408 - John Cusack. Really great, tense, haunted hotel room
All of the Harry Potter films.

#215 9 months ago
Quoted from HobbyGuy:

Legend of Hell House 1973 - mystery in a dangerous haunted house, the great Roddy McDowall

Pretty darn good along with The House That Dripped Blood from 1971.

One Halloween they did a bunch of movies in a row on TV and House of Dark Shadows based on the TV show stole that show.

#216 9 months ago
Quoted from HobbyGuy:

Here are my recommendations to fun halloween films you probably don't know:
Nomads 1986 - Peirce Brosnan, Adam Ant, John McTierman's first film.
The Uninvited - 1944 - Black and White, some humor too
Near Dark 1987- Kathleen Bigelow directed, Bill Paxton, Lance Hendriksen, vampires
Curse of the Demon 1957- watch the British version, called Night of the Demon in US, but US version cut out some scenes. Has an unfortunate bad model effect at the end, but still good - Kate Bush sampled this film's dialogue in "Hounds of Love"
Shadow of a Vampire - a movie about filming Nosferatu, with John Malkovich and William DaFoe
And then my favorites for the season (don't care for gore):
Fright Night 1986 - Brilliant performance by Chris Sarandon, and the awesome Roddy McDowall, Brad Fiedel score, just awesome
John Carpenter's The Thing, The Fog
Sleepy Hollow - Johnny Depp, Christina Ricci
The Mummy - more action adventure, I know, but still - Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz
1408 - John Cusack. Really great, tense, haunted hotel room
All of the Harry Potter films.

This is an extraordinary list. I’m not into Harry Potter, but it’s not like they’re terrible. The rest of this list has some under appreciated gems. Uninvited, Curse of the Demon, Hell House.

#217 9 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is an extraordinary list. I’m not into Harry Potter, but it’s not like they’re terrible. The rest of this list has some under appreciated gems. Uninvited, Curse of the Demon, Hell House.

Thanks, back in college I had nothing to do weekends so I'd go to the local vhs movie rental store (showing my age) and take home 6 movies at a time. After awhile, you started to get into the lesser-known stuff. Coraline is another - great animated movie, but I figured some might know of it already.

Also forgot to put Alien on my favorites list.

#218 9 months ago

Just watched talk to me last night, definitely worth a watch.

#219 9 months ago
Quoted from Yoderboy:

Just watched talk to me last night, definitely worth a watch.

I have to say, that was probably the most creative horror film I've seen in YEARS. Great way to turn the form on its head. And some truly shocking moments.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but I have to mention the double-whammy of Pre-2K Japanese horror: "House" / "Hausu" from 1977. Totally insane, haunted house horror comedy that never gets old.

And "Sweet Home" from 1989 which inspired the Resident Evil game series. Strangely never released on bluray, there's a DVD rip on YouTube.

We are big fans of 70s horror at home, so "Burnt Offerings", "the Little Girl Down the Lane", "The Changeling" with George C Scott, and "Audrey Rose" which is kind of an Exorcist-ish plot, but with a unique twist that splits it off more toward "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" territory. Thats also a great film. Hm, never put 2 and 2 together on that one!

1 week later
#220 9 months ago

Not a movie but I’m enjoying The Fall of the House of Usher this Halloween season.

IMG_6582 (resized).pngIMG_6582 (resized).png
#221 9 months ago

Scary movie of course

#222 9 months ago

Young Frankenstein

#223 9 months ago

Classic movie.

elviria (resized).jpgelviria (resized).jpg
#224 9 months ago

After that, what’s the next best Elvira to watch?

#225 9 months ago

This one really hit the spot during one Halloween marathon.

713uuaLPkfL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg713uuaLPkfL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
#226 9 months ago
Quoted from cookpins:

After that, what’s the next best Elvira to watch?

Elvira’s-Haunted-Hills-692x1024 (resized).jpgElvira’s-Haunted-Hills-692x1024 (resized).jpg
#227 9 months ago

Screen Shot 2023-10-21 at 8.56.43 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-10-21 at 8.56.43 PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

There are 227 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.