(Topic ID: 252384)

What are your favorite Halloween movies?

By ForceFlow

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-10-21 at 8.56.43 PM (resized).png
Elvira’s-Haunted-Hills-692x1024 (resized).jpg
713uuaLPkfL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
elviria (resized).jpg
IMG_6582 (resized).png
D3B66E06-5256-439B-9855-6690C15F655F (resized).jpeg
F2A947DE-12BB-436F-B26B-465464162B31 (resized).jpeg
5EC618BA-BFA4-445B-A07A-439DAEA87212 (resized).jpeg
 Frankenhooker (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
9892F69C-44B2-4DF4-B1B2-165932A7128B (resized).jpeg
0_EuAyvh3vyjUL8vtv (resized).png
Prince-of-Darkness-1-600x847 (resized).jpg
pod1-768x438 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191031_183756040 (resized).jpg
There are 227 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 2 years ago
Quoted from Rudy99:

Yeah, Waxwork, like a lot of other mid to late 80's horror was this perfect blend of ridiculous over the top comedy and horror where the movies were meant for fun and not meant to be taken seriously at all (with HBO's Tales From the Crypt being the pinnacle of it all).
Waxwork has such a brilliant concept where the movie could have the characters suddenly end up in any type of horror movie setting at any time and be as creative as possible and top it all off with a big monster mash at the end.
Cabin in the Woods completely ripped off Waxwork and was nowhere near as good or fun to watch aside from the final 15 minutes which is the only reason to watch that turkey.
Waxwork 2 was pretty good, not as good as the first but the movie really hit a snag for like half an hour midway when it went to the medieval setting. But it has so many great scenes that it's still definitely worth watching (it has Bruce Campbell in it so that alone makes it worth watching).

While I dont believe I have seen Waxwork, im curious if you understand what Cabin in the Woods is really about? Most people often dont understand what that movie is about..

#152 2 years ago

Halloween
Creepshow
Candyman
The Conjuring
The Exorcist
American Werewolf in London
Dawn of the Dead
Psycho
The Silence of the Lambs
Cape Fear
Nightmare on Elm Street

#153 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

While I dont believe I have seen Waxwork, im curious if you understand what Cabin in the Woods is really about? Most people often dont understand what that movie is about..

You mean the betting scenes?

#154 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Halloween
Creepshow
Candyman
The Conjuring
The Exorcist
American Werewolf in London
Dawn of the Dead
Psycho
The Silence of the Lambs
Cape Fear
Nightmare on Elm Street

I 100% endorse this list, and raise you a Night of the Hunter

#155 2 years ago

Just got word that my Halloween, H II AND III 4K Blurays have been delayed to the end of the month. This is after 2 previous delays. Arrrrrrgh!

#156 2 years ago

Just watched Hubie Halloween last night. God I hate Adam Sandler.

#157 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just got word that my Halloween, H II AND III 4K Blurays have been delayed to the end of the month. This is after 2 previous delays. Arrrrrrgh!

Not sure if they are China made but they reported on the news today that there were 76 cargo ships just floating in the pacific for over a week trying to offload at Los Angeles port. Don’t shoot the messenger.

#158 2 years ago

Halloween is the best Halloween movie, everyone knows that. But if JC's Halloween never existed, I'd go with The Exorcist.

#159 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Yes, I know what the movie is about. It's a bad copy of Waxwork that takes an hour to get started and ends with a similar monster mash-ending as Waxwork but in one movie the sacrifices are meant to stop evil gods from rising and in another the sacrifices are meant to bring back the evil gods to rule the world. Cabin in the Woods is basically just a rewrite of Waxwork.

#160 2 years ago

I love Maximum Overdrive by the way! I fail to see why it gets so much hate!

#161 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Dawn of the Dead

Some good choices, and I'd include Zack Snyder's remake as well. Yeah, it breaks "zombie rules" and it isn't going for the statements Romero was going for, but its entertaining and funny as hell.

#162 2 years ago

I hate to admit when I first saw this I thought you guys were talking about that crap movie from the 2000s with Paris Hilton. I've never seen Waxwork, but I'm a big fan of Cabin in the Woods, so I'll definitely be checking it out.

#163 2 years ago

Halloween 3 gets lots of grief but its actually about Halloween and good cheezy 80s horror fun.

Plus that silver shamrock song will drive you mental.

#164 2 years ago
Quoted from Rudy99:

Yes, I know what the movie is about. It's a bad copy of Waxwork that takes an hour to get started and ends with a similar monster mash-ending as Waxwork but in one movie the sacrifices are meant to stop evil gods from rising and in another the sacrifices are meant to bring back the evil gods to rule the world. Cabin in the Woods is basically just a rewrite of Waxwork.

Ok, so you really dont understand what the movie is about...

I didnt either after first watching it. But then a lot of forum talks and reading helped to explain it.

#165 2 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

I hate to admit when I first saw this I thought you guys were talking about that crap movie from the 2000s with Paris Hilton. I've never seen Waxwork, but I'm a big fan of Cabin in the Woods, so I'll definitely be checking it out.

I love House of Wax hahah.

#166 2 years ago

Cabin in the Woods is satire. It plays on the tropes of the typical haunted cabin movies and adds an end of the world element. It was original and very entertaining.

Waxwork is 80s cheese. I own it on blu ray along with its sequel. It’s entertaining but pretty forgettable.

House of Wax (remake) is another dumb remake, but fairly entertaining if you turn your brain to its lowest power setting.

Now, if you want to watch a really bad, schlocky and very entertaining shit show, check out Nightmare Sisters. Apparently the movie was made on a dare using some leftover footage from another bad movie. Utterly tasteless with bad 80s humor and worse acting, but somehow absolutely entertaining. And there’s tons of nudity.

#168 2 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

I hate to admit when I first saw this I thought you guys were talking about that crap movie from the 2000s with Paris Hilton.

House of Wax?

Not an instant classic, but I didn't think it was too bad.

#169 2 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

LOL house of Wax! Now that's a piece of crap remake. Give me the Vincent Price original any day.

#170 2 years ago

Ok, well to be fair, I saw it once probably 15 years ago. I honestly don't remember that much from it, other than Elisha Cuthburt had her mouth glued shut and then had a finger clipped off with garden shears or something? Which I'll admit wasn't a bad sequence.

#171 2 years ago

Might sound kinda silly, but I still do like "it's a great pumpkin, Charlie Brown"..as a favorite.

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Curious to the thoughts of Apple TV buying the rights to It's the Great Pumpkin, and other Charlie Brown classics. Those specials will NOT air on any networks this year.

Oh yes they will...as a update here. jfi
https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/10/05/great-pumpkin-charlie-brown-returns-tv-channel-date/6011082001/

Charlie Brown holiday specials: Broadcast times, how to watch

“It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” is scheduled to air on PBS and PBS Kids at 7:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, Oct. 24.

“A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving” will air at 7:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, Nov. 21.

“A Charlie Brown Christmas” will air at 7:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, Dec. 19 on PBS and PBS Kids.

#172 2 years ago

Since Amazon screwed me, I drove out to Best Buy, which really tells you how much I wanted that disc..

Anyway, major score!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#173 2 years ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this timeless classic:

FrankenhookerFrankenhooker

#174 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Anyway, major score

Man, I love quantum leap. Never got over how they ended that show.

#175 2 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

Man, I love quantum leap. Never got over how they ended that show.

First thing I popped in actually. I have the show on DVD but they had replaced a lot of the music with generic tracks to avoid licensing fees, and it is.. distracting. The bluray fixes all that and in addition the episodes look GREAT.

As far as the finale, yeah. that crushed me as a 13 or 14 year old. About 2 years ago somebody found an additional scene they should have included; not sure why it was cut, or if this is a rehearsal or what, but it’s SO much better than just that black text on a screen:

#176 2 years ago

I am a fan of comedy/horror

5EC618BA-BFA4-445B-A07A-439DAEA87212 (resized).jpeg5EC618BA-BFA4-445B-A07A-439DAEA87212 (resized).jpegF2A947DE-12BB-436F-B26B-465464162B31 (resized).jpegF2A947DE-12BB-436F-B26B-465464162B31 (resized).jpeg
#177 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

somebody found an additional scene

Yeah, definitely haven't seen that before. Sound is pretty rough but it definitely seems as though it would have been an improvement. I just remember sitting there shocked. They just put some text up saying "he never went home", and thats it? Just seemed like an incredibly lazy end to a great show.

#178 2 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

Yeah, definitely haven't seen that before. Sound is pretty rough but it definitely seems as though it would have been an improvement. I just remember sitting there shocked. They just put some text up saying "he never went home", and thats it? Just seemed like an incredibly lazy end to a great show.

100% They've never explained it fully, I think they were kinda hoping they'd get renewed for a season 6, which is why the half-assed explanation. But yeah basically no fan was happy with that. At least they *got* an ending I suppose. Even so, that clip would totally have worked as an intro to season 6. I saw some fan suggest that Beth could be the new hologram since Dean Stockwell's in bad shape. They could do a couple episodes with Sam as a way to transition to someone younger (e.g. the little girl that's supposed to be his daughter from season 5)

Anyway, watched Phantasm last night. Kinda still cheesy but the ending with the tuning fork where they see the glimpse of the alien planet is SO Great

#179 2 years ago

I watched Waxwork last night, and can't imagine how that one slipped through the cracks for me all this time. David Warner even! Rang a few bells when the butler opened the front door to let them in. I'm sure I've seen clips from it over the years, probably just not all at once. Anyway, pretty awesome.

#180 2 years ago

Midnight Mass on netflix was the most epic vampire tale Ive ever seen. A slow burn yes but excellent acting and writing. 4 out of 5 stars.

1 year later
#181 1 year ago

That time of year again. Anyone have any good recommendations? I watched "X" the other night, and thought it was pretty fantastic. Nice old school slasher with a grindhouse feel.

#182 1 year ago
Quoted from plovis:

That time of year again. Anyone have any good recommendations? I watched "X" the other night, and thought it was pretty fantastic. Nice old school slasher with a grindhouse feel.

That’s on my list, apparently there’s a prequel as well.

I am surprised at how much I enjoyed “Midnight Club” on Netflix. Another Mike Flanagan story, based on books I remember from middle/high school but I never read myself. Stephen King-ish themes with a great wraparound story. Despite the source material, it is NOT for kids (as my 8th grader announced last night)

I just bought Poltergeist on 4K bluray and I am still amazed at how much better 4K really is ON DISC, and miles beyond normal Blurays. Even my Universal Horror films look way better (you can actually see the film grain again!), which I thought was technically impossible.

#183 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That’s on my list, apparently there’s a prequel as well.
I am surprised at how much I enjoyed “Midnight Club” on Netflix. Another Mike Flanagan story, based on books I remember from middle/high school but I never read myself. Stephen King-ish themes with a great wraparound story. Despite the source material, it is NOT for kids (as my 8th grader announced last night)
I just bought Poltergeist on 4K bluray and I am still amazed at how much better 4K really is ON DISC, and miles beyond normal Blurays. Even my Universal Horror films look way better (you can actually see the film grain again!), which I thought was technically impossible.

Fantastic. I will definitely check it out.
Just sat through "grave encounters", I gotta say, I keep giving found footage stuff a chance, and it is just not for me.
I remember you're a quantum leap fan, have you checked out the new series? Haven't seen any myself, and I'm always cautious about what remakes can do to some of my favorites. However, that one has always been one that has screamed for a second chance.

#184 1 year ago
Quoted from plovis:

Just sat through "grave encounters", I gotta say, I keep giving found footage stuff a chance, and it is just not for me.
I remember you're a quantum leap fan, have you checked out the new series? Haven't seen any myself, and I'm always cautious about what remakes can do to some of my favorites. However, that one has always been one that has screamed for a second chance.

Just started the new Quantum Leap and so far I am digging it. Will at least watch the 1st season and have a better idea how it feels vs the original.

#185 1 year ago

Looking forward to Halloween Ends…..at this point I may as well see what “may” be the last one.

There are certain classic favorites I have seen way too many times so I look for odd/new stuff…Terrifier 2 just came out and it is actually playing nearby but limited showings and will have to wait and stream it later….I enjoyed the first one. That clown is creepy for sure.

#186 1 year ago

Trick r Treat
Blood Diner
All Hallows Eve (I like it more than Terrifier)
Any Halloween movie - even the Rob Zombie ones

#187 1 year ago
Quoted from plovis:

There’s a couple of found footage moves worth checking out - the “Rec” series from Spain are great (the 3rd one is not FF and is a little more silly action-y, but is still fun). …and that might be it.

I watched 2 episodes of the new QL, and… I mean I can tell they are trying to expand the story, they are throwing in a lot of nuggets from the original show. But I feel like the 2 leads have NOOOO chemistry at all, and they’ve changed the relationship between the leaper and the hologram, and I feel like they are just boring. The leaps are so far very lost opportunities. Sam would have been freaking out if he leaped into a getaway vehicle in the middle of a bank robbery, and this guy not only doesn’t freak out, he suddenly learns how to drive stick PERFECTLY after the hologram says “that thing on the left is the clutch”. That really bugged me. They are making a lot of great references to the original show but it seems the are also specifically avoiding things in the name of (my observation) not retreading old ground. For example, basically no Swiss cheese brain. There’s no “devil/Angel on the shoulder” teasing from the Al character, and I just don’t connect with the leads. The supporting characters are pretty interesting, but the leads and the leaps so far have been .. meh.

That said, they may be able to work on this and get the sow retooled. That’s only 2 episodes, and NBC is promoting the hell out of the show, so hopefully they put their backs into it eventually. So far it feels like a carbon copy of the Flash (which I really liked for years)

Ernie Hudson is AWESOME in it, he plays Magic from the Season 3 “Leap Home part 2”.

#188 1 year ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Just started the new Quantum Leap and so far I am digging it. Will at least watch the 1st season and have a better idea how it feels vs the original.

Watch season 2, it’s much more evenly written

#189 1 year ago

My gf didn’t appreciate the cinematic masterpiece that’s is Ernest Scared Stupid, and my daughter was a little too creeped out by Dont look under your bed. Any other family friendly recommendations beyond the obvious ones? Bonus if it’s streaming.

#190 1 year ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Looking forward to Halloween Ends…..at this point I may as well see what “may” be the last one.
There are certain classic favorites I have seen way too many times so I look for odd/new stuff…Terrifier 2 just came out and it is actually playing nearby but limited showings and will have to wait and stream it later….I enjoyed the first one. That clown is creepy for sure.

Thats a good reminder, still haven't checked out the "Terrifiers" yet. Back on the list.

#191 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There’s a couple of found footage moves worth checking out - the “Rec” series from Spain are great (the 3rd one is not FF and is a little more silly action-y, but is still fun). …and that might be it.
I watched 2 episodes of the new QL, and… I mean I can tell they are trying to expand the story, they are throwing in a lot of nuggets from the original show. But I feel like the 2 leads have NOOOO chemistry at all, and they’ve changed the relationship between the leaper and the hologram, and I feel like they are just boring. The leaps are so far very lost opportunities. Sam would have been freaking out if he leaped into a getaway vehicle in the middle of a bank robbery, and this guy not only doesn’t freak out, he suddenly learns how to drive stick PERFECTLY after the hologram says “that thing on the left is the clutch”. That really bugged me. They are making a lot of great references to the original show but it seems the are also specifically avoiding things in the name of (my observation) not retreading old ground. For example, basically no Swiss cheese brain. There’s no “devil/Angel on the shoulder” teasing from the Al character, and I just don’t connect with the leads. The supporting characters are pretty interesting, but the leads and the leaps so far have been .. meh.
That said, they may be able to work on this and get the sow retooled. That’s only 2 episodes, and NBC is promoting the hell out of the show, so hopefully they put their backs into it eventually. So far it feels like a carbon copy of the Flash (which I really liked for years)
Ernie Hudson is AWESOME in it, he plays Magic from the Season 3 “Leap Home part 2”.

Yeah, unfortunately thats kind of what I was afraid of. I'll still likely check it out at some point, but mostly whenever there a remake of some staple of my younger days (see Point Break, and I'm dreading to think about what they're going to do with Road House) its way off the mark.

Although interestingly, I was looking through older reviews and saw one for the Fright Night remake with Colin Farrell a few years ago. Didn't bother back then because I just assumed it would suck, but the review was actually pretty positive. Maybe I'll give it a try just to have a reason to be pissed at myself.

#192 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinash:

My gf didn’t appreciate the cinematic masterpiece that’s is Ernest Scared Stupid, and my daughter was a little too creeped out by Dont look under your bed. Any other family friendly recommendations beyond the obvious ones? Bonus if it’s streaming.

I'm probably not the best help for family friendly, but you might check out Nightbooks if you haven't seen it. Its sort of a dark take on a Grimm fairy tale, evil witch lures kids into her lair type of thing. Sam Raimi produced it so I was going to give it a shot no matter what and ended up really enjoying it. Again, not sure what your threshold is for family friendly, its still pretty dark and creepy, but its not, you know, like Human Centipede or something.

#193 1 year ago
Quoted from plovis:

Yeah, unfortunately thats kind of what I was afraid of. I'll still likely check it out at some point, but mostly whenever there a remake of some staple of my younger days (see Point Break, and I'm dreading to think about what they're going to do with Road House) its way off the mark.
Although interestingly, I was looking through older reviews and saw one for the Fright Night remake with Colin Farrell a few years ago. Didn't bother back then because I just assumed it would suck, but the review was actually pretty positive. Maybe I'll give it a try just to have a reason to be pissed at myself.

The remake of Fright Night was actually good. It’s not too campy but definitely worth watching. I agree that most of the shows/movies that are remakes/reboots are awful…as mentioned Point Break was horrible. I also thought the remakes of Footloose and Flat Liners we’re not good either there are just some movies/shows that should be left alone.

Back to Halloween stuff…….don’t want to derail this thread with too much non Halloween/horror talk.

#194 1 year ago

The wife & I are doing a Halloween movie marathon this Thanksgiving weekend. She hasn't really seen them and wanted to run the gauntlet of halloween movies this month.

We finished #6 last night. That one was really horrible lol.

#195 1 year ago

At some point in your life, you stop being scared of anything. And that's unfortunate, because I used to enjoy being scared by movies. Blair Witch had the right idea... capture genuine terror in the actors. Genius.

#196 1 year ago

If you're a Marvel fan (or even if you're not), Werewolf by Night is a really fun homage to old-timey monster movies.

I haven't watched The Midnight Club yet, but I'll definitely be checking it out since I'm a big fan of Flanagan's other Netflix shows.

#197 1 year ago
Quoted from plovis:

Yeah. I had planned to stay away from QL because the first few trailers looked REALLY BAD. I’m happy to say it isn’t as bad as I thought, but kind of falls into “why bother?” Territory. The show is 100% a sequel, and not a remake, which I do like. It just doesn’t have any of the charm, goofiness or emotion of the original.

The Fright Night remake it pretty different from the original - I think it’s worth a shot.

#198 1 year ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

The wife & I are doing a Halloween movie marathon this Thanksgiving weekend. She hasn't really seen them and wanted to run the gauntlet of halloween movies this month.
We finished #6 last night. That one was really horrible lol.

Original cut or Producer’s cut? Both are pretty bad LOL! But the producers cut has some more interesting back story on the Thorn cult and changes a bunch of things

#199 1 year ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

If you're a Marvel fan (or even if you're not), Werewolf by Night is a really fun homage to old-timey monster movies.
I haven't watched The Midnight Club yet, but I'll definitely be checking it out since I'm a big fan of Flanagan's other Netflix shows.

100% agree! Werewolf by Night was GREAT! Huge Val Lewton homage.

Midnight Club - we’ve only watched 4 I think, and there is kind of a “teen” angle with most of the episodes (the characters are kids), more spooky than scary (the first episode nails the coffin shut on “jump scares”) - it also has Heather Langenkamp so I am 100% in.

#200 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Original cut or Producer’s cut? Both are pretty bad LOL! But the producers cut has some more interesting back story on the Thorn cult and changes a bunch of things

Original. The acting wasn't the best either.

H20 is the next one on the list.

There are 227 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-favorite-halloween-movies/page/4?hl=plovis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.