(Topic ID: 252384)

What are your favorite Halloween movies?

By ForceFlow

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2023-10-21 at 8.56.43 PM (resized).png
Elvira’s-Haunted-Hills-692x1024 (resized).jpg
713uuaLPkfL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
elviria (resized).jpg
IMG_6582 (resized).png
D3B66E06-5256-439B-9855-6690C15F655F (resized).jpeg
F2A947DE-12BB-436F-B26B-465464162B31 (resized).jpeg
5EC618BA-BFA4-445B-A07A-439DAEA87212 (resized).jpeg
 Frankenhooker (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
9892F69C-44B2-4DF4-B1B2-165932A7128B (resized).jpeg
0_EuAyvh3vyjUL8vtv (resized).png
Prince-of-Darkness-1-600x847 (resized).jpg
pod1-768x438 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191031_183756040 (resized).jpg
There are 227 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from smognote:

HOUSE 1 and 2. people under the stairs shocker. phantasm 1 and 2. poltergeist 1 and 2. Dracula the untold story

Great list... I was with you until the last one. the Dracula superhero movie?!?

#102 4 years ago

Time for the way back machine: King of the Zombies. YouTube is your friend.

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

Haven't heard of it...but I'll have to check it out!

Definitely worth checking out

#104 4 years ago

Just finished the Marianne series on Netflix. I kind of thought the first episode was the highlight, but it was pretty solid throughout.

#105 4 years ago

Also, don't remember if anyone has mentioned this one yet, but another great one from a few years ago.

collector (resized).jpgcollector (resized).jpg
#106 4 years ago

I'll be watching this tonight.
What about you?

it-follows (resized).jpgit-follows (resized).jpg
#107 4 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

I'll be watching this tonight.
What about you?[quoted image]

Great one. I saw that at the Alamo drafthouse In austin with my wife a few years ago before it was on wide release. Great late night flick’

#108 4 years ago
51O2em+jRjL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg51O2em+jRjL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
#109 4 years ago

the old tradition of disney ichabod crane

ich (resized).jpgich (resized).jpg
#110 4 years ago

Happy Halloween 2019! I just re-watched Trick r' Treat (2007). It's not my favorite horror movie, but it's my favorite Halloween horror movie. Supposedly, Trick r' Treat 2 (by the same writer/director) is in the works. Bring it on!

(NOTE: There's a lot of stuff that is rewarding to the viewer when watching Trick r' Treat a second time!)

#111 4 years ago

Had fun making a Fortnite pumpkin and a Stranger Things season 3 consume for Halloween.

IMG_7548 (resized).jpgIMG_7548 (resized).jpg

ST (resized).jpgST (resized).jpg

#112 4 years ago

The one having the biggest impact on people has not been mentioned yet. Fortunately it is my fav horror flick and so it won’t be easily forgotten.
55397432-D227-4FB9-96C2-247265A2B08C.jpeg55397432-D227-4FB9-96C2-247265A2B08C.jpegD5ACBB6A-F90A-472D-AF13-690F9CAF65F2.jpegD5ACBB6A-F90A-472D-AF13-690F9CAF65F2.jpeg

#113 4 years ago

I already talked about my favorite movies but I think the pinside community will enjoy this. A pic of my son representing monster bash and me the walking dead

IMG_20191031_183756040 (resized).jpgIMG_20191031_183756040 (resized).jpg
11 months later
#114 3 years ago

Bumping this up for 2020---what's new on the halloween film/show list?

I just started watching The Haunting of Bly Manor.

I also revisited the Silent Hill movies last week.

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I just started watching The Haunting of Bly Manor.

Caught some of Bly Manor, that was actually decent. Only saw a few minutes of a few episodes. The wife decided to binge one Saturday when I had stuff to do outdoors.

Curious to the thoughts of Apple TV buying the rights to It's the Great Pumpkin, and other Charlie Brown classics. Those specials will NOT air on any networks this year.

#116 3 years ago

Prince of Darkness, 1987, One of John Carpenter's under appreciated films.
Ominous creepy film.

Saw this opening night in 87, then went to Noah's Arcade at the La Mirada Mall, until they closed at 1 AM. Great night!

Message from the Future Freeeek Kingdom.

0_EuAyvh3vyjUL8vtv (resized).png0_EuAyvh3vyjUL8vtv (resized).pngPrince-of-Darkness-1-600x847 (resized).jpgPrince-of-Darkness-1-600x847 (resized).jpgpod1-768x438 (resized).jpgpod1-768x438 (resized).jpg

#117 3 years ago

Just watched this, don’t want to spoil anything but stick with it.

9892F69C-44B2-4DF4-B1B2-165932A7128B (resized).jpeg9892F69C-44B2-4DF4-B1B2-165932A7128B (resized).jpeg
#118 3 years ago

I’m going to be watching all the movies from the Elvira House of Horror pin from now until Halloween

#119 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Caught some of Bly Manor, that was actually decent. Only saw a few minutes of a few episodes. The wife decided to binge one Saturday when I had stuff to do outdoors.
Curious to the thoughts of Apple TV buying the rights to It's the Great Pumpkin, and other Charlie Brown classics. Those specials will NOT air on any networks this year.

I’m bummed.. but from my understanding, Apple bought it AFTER ABC dedicated not to run it this year. Too bad though, like when Wizard of Oz stopped being shown every thanksgiving

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Prince of Darkness, 1987, One of John Carpenter's under appreciated films.
Ominous creepy film.
Saw this opening night in 87, then went to Noah's Arcade at the La Mirada Mall, until they closed at 1 AM. Great night!
Message from the Future Freeeek Kingdom.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This!!!! Great call! Plus Alice Cooper is in it!

#121 3 years ago
Quoted from HoneyBadger:

I’m going to be watching all the movies from the Elvira House of Horror pin from now until Halloween

Many of them are available as Movie Macabre episodes on Shout Factory TV

https://www.shoutfactorytv.com/elvira-s-movie-macabre/elvira-s-movie-macabre-the-werewolf-of-washington/53cd482269702d27d37c2f00

These are the ORIGINAL run, 1981 or so. The later 2010 revival (which actually does include all the movies in the game) is on Amazon I think.

#122 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Yeah, it’s the end of an era in some respects. ABC apparently decided to not renew the license. (I think it was CBS that originally produced them.) Apple is actively producing new Peanuts content, so it’s a good fit. They are also offering free streaming close to the holiday for the various vintage shows. I’d say no harm, no foul in this case.

11 months later
#123 2 years ago

Its that time of year again, has anyone seen anything they enjoyed recently? Been kind of a quiet year on the horror front for me, but have recently seen 12 hour shift, Clovehitch Killer and Coherence which were all pretty good. Also Goodnight Mommy was nice and disturbing. Wife had somehow never seen Frailty, so we checked that out last night (RIP Bill Paxton and Powers Booth).
Need to fill up my October queue with some fresh stuff.

#124 2 years ago

I recently watched Midnight Mass on Netflix. It's probably worth watching just for Hamish Linklater's performance alone, but I still feel like Flanagan has yet to top The Haunting of Hill House.

#125 2 years ago

Agreed. Was pretty disappointed in Bly Manor. I'll give Midnight Mass a look.

#126 2 years ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

I recently watched Midnight Mass on Netflix. It's probably worth watching just for Hamish Linklater's performance alone, but I still feel like Flanagan has yet to top The Haunting of Hill House.

We are in the middle of it - my wife isn’t as engaged with the slow burn- and usually i am not either, but the combination of the Amity atmosphere, Salem’s Lot meets Exorcist undertones set in a modern complicated mix of personalities … so far it’s phenomenal.

I dug Bly Manor, but Turn of the Screw is a tough thing to adapt. It was good, plenty better than a lot of other stuff - didn’t match Doctor Sleep, which I avoided for a long time but turned out to be SO good.

#127 2 years ago

I need to watch Doctor Sleep! I've read the book, but have yet to catch the movie for some reason.

#128 2 years ago

I thought it was pretty good as far as King adaptations go. Mainly off the strength of the leads. Ewan McGregor is always solid and I really enjoyed the actress that played Rose.

#129 2 years ago

I’d recommend Oculus. It’s another Mike Flanagan movie, one of his earlier ones, but he has great style.

It’s a movie about a haunted mirror, which sounds totally ridiculous, but works really well.

#130 2 years ago

Man, thats actually the last time a movie has cost me some sleep. We have (had, that thing had to go) a mirror pretty similar to that and I remember laying awake staring at it just pissed at myself.

#131 2 years ago

Finished Midnight Mass. DAAAAAAAAMN!!!! That was seriously awesome. So much packed into a very quick 7 (!) hours

Check this out: one of Flanagan’s earlier films, “Hush”, not only stars some of the same actors, but the opening scene shows the friend of an author coming by to tell her how much she enjoyed her latest book. The title? “midnight Mass”! She even name-checks Riley and Erin. Hush came out in 2016!

Definitely agree on Oculus, and I’ll throw in the 2nd Ouija movie (the first one is pretty bad), which was BONKERS. He’s had a couple of misfires but even those are still worth checking out.

Currently watching “get Duked” which is like a silly Most Dangerous Game, and is hilarious but still has a bunch of seriously creepy parts

#132 2 years ago

Yeah, I read somewhere that Midnight Mass started way back when as a novel he was writing, and the first scene of the series is taken directly from the first scene of the novel. There was just one thing that soured it a bit for me, but I won't go into details for the sake of those who haven't seen it yet. (Is there a spoiler tag on here?)

Speaking of silly, What We Do in the Shadows is ridiculous in the best possible way. The whole series is available on Hulu.

#133 2 years ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Yeah, I read somewhere that Midnight Mass started way back when as a novel he was writing, and the first scene of the series is taken directly from the first scene of the novel. There was just one thing that soured it a bit for me, but I won't go into details for the sake of those who haven't seen it yet. (Is there a spoiler tag on here?)
Speaking of silly, What We Do in the Shadows is ridiculous in the best possible way. The whole series is available on Hulu.

Totally agree on WWDITS. I have to get on that series again. We ditched cable for the most part so now have to stream the show on Hulu, which I hate with a passion because of all. The. Commercials.

#134 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

which I hate with a passion because of all. The. Commercials.

Ad blockers nuke most of them.

#135 2 years ago

Halloweentown, The Haunted Mansion, Casper and of course The Addams Family cause the kids watched them so much. Lol

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Totally agree on WWDITS. I have to get on that series again. We ditched cable for the most part so now have to stream the show on Hulu, which I hate with a passion because of all. The. Commercials.

The commercials on Hulu are PAINFUL. We switched to the commercial-free plan for a few more dollars. It was worth it since we use it quite a bit (we ditched cable long ago).

#137 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Ad blockers nuke most of them.

Ours is on a Roku and I’ve not successfully been able to block them; maybe I’ll revisit that today

#138 2 years ago

Did anyone catch Malignant? I’ve enjoyed most of the James Wan horror movies, even Dead Silence which is pretty whack-a-doodle

#139 2 years ago

Lots of votes for Midnight Mass, definitely put that on the list. Hush was great, so if its tied into that I'm onboard. Haven't seen Malignant yet, but Dead Silence was a good time. My ma had creepy ass dolls all over the house growing up and I've never really shaken that off.
Just checked out He Never Died with Henry Rollins the other night and really liked it. His House is lined up for later tonight.

#140 2 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

Dead Silence was a good time

Yeah, that was a good one. Right balance of spookiness, mystery, and horror wrapped up together without getting too ridiculous or disturbing.

#141 2 years ago

Recently, I saw Color Out of Space with Nicolas Cage. Typical kinda bad kinda interesting Cage movie. Don't set your expectations too high.

#142 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yeah, that was a good one. Right balance of spookiness, mystery, and horror wrapped up together without getting too ridiculous or disturbing.

Ha, I just watched that one last night. Total guilty pleasure. The movie makes no sense but has great atmosphere and some genuine scares. James Wan loves his haunted dolls.

I’d also recommend The Invitation, available to stream. Not scary, but very suspenseful. It’s about a couple invited to a dinner party… that’s all you need to know.

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Recently, I saw Color Out of Space with Nicolas Cage. Typical kinda bad kinda interesting Cage movie. Don't set your expectations too high.

Oh man, I'm sorry you didn't like Colour out of Space. Lovecraft is one of my favorite authors, and this was a phenomenally good interpretation of this story. Also nice to see Richard Stanley finally redeem himself

Apparently Elvira is introducing a new horror film on Netflix every Wednesday this month. After JUST appearing on Shudder! By the way check out "Messiah of Evil". I hadn't seen that before and wow. Kind of slow, but creepy throughout, like Carnival of Souls.

How about:
Annihilation (2018)
Sound of Violence (2021) - this was pretty disturbing
Lucky (2021) - semi-Groundhog Day (not exactly like "Happy Death Day") structure
The Witch (2015 ? )
Babadook
It Follows

Haven't seen but on my list:
The Power (2021)
Saint Maud (looks exorcist-y)

#145 2 years ago

We enjoy the two Houses October Built movies among most of the others mentioned here.

#146 2 years ago

Watching the original Halloween 1 and 2 back to back is quintessential.

Night of the Demons 1, Halloween 3, Trick r Treat, Demon Knight, Dolls, The Funhouse, Waxwork and House on Haunted Hill (1999) are perfect for Halloween.

The Friday the 13th films are more for summer imo

#147 2 years ago

Jeepers Creepers…

#148 2 years ago
Quoted from Rudy99:

Watching the original Halloween 1 and 2 back to back is quintessential.
Night of the Demons 1, Halloween 3, Trick r Treat, Demon Knight, Dolls, The Funhouse, Waxwork and House on Haunted Hill (1999) are perfect for Halloween.
The Friday the 13th films are more for summer imo

Waxwork! Nice!!

#149 2 years ago

Yeah, Waxwork, like a lot of other mid to late 80's horror was this perfect blend of ridiculous over the top comedy and horror where the movies were meant for fun and not meant to be taken seriously at all (with HBO's Tales From the Crypt being the pinnacle of it all).

Waxwork has such a brilliant concept where the movie could have the characters suddenly end up in any type of horror movie setting at any time and be as creative as possible and top it all off with a big monster mash at the end.

Cabin in the Woods completely ripped off Waxwork and was nowhere near as good or fun to watch aside from the final 15 minutes which is the only reason to watch that turkey.

Waxwork 2 was pretty good, not as good as the first but the movie really hit a snag for like half an hour midway when it went to the medieval setting. But it has so many great scenes that it's still definitely worth watching (it has Bruce Campbell in it so that alone makes it worth watching).

#150 2 years ago

While I disagree that Cabin in the Woods is just a big rip off of Waxwork, this does make me want to go back and re-revisit Waxwork. I don't know that I've ever seen Waxwork 2, despite it including The Chin! Huge Bruce fan. I've even seen "Crimewave"

There are 227 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-favorite-halloween-movies/page/3?hl=wugly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.