(Topic ID: 58897)

What are your favorite game modes and why? - least favorite?

By Wisconsinpinball

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MXV
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

What are your favorite modes to play in your games? Not Wizard modes, just regular game modes. Which ones do you love playing every time, and what makes them fun? And while we're at it, which ones drive you nuts, that you just can't wait to end and move on?

#2 6 years ago

I am a big fan of fast scoring (I'm sure I have said this before on Pinside).

Avatar with the seeds, IM with the guns ablazing sounds, TAF Mamuska, etc

#3 6 years ago

I like how the knocker is incorporated into Seance mode on TAF.

Bank Bust on Spiderman is my favorite mode on that machine for some reason. I like the full-orbit launch of the second ball to hit the ball off the magnet. I've heard this mode is great with a shaker motor, which is on my wish list.

Graveyard is fun on MSF, collecting the body parts to make a monster.

And I really like Dance Party and Whack a Gofer/Chicken! on my NGG.

#4 6 years ago

Neon Multiball! On CV

#5 6 years ago

STTNG has some great modes, stacking Q with multiball, or Asteroid mode. LOTR gandalf vs saruman, actually all the modes in LOTR are pretty good.

#6 6 years ago

I like those fast score modes as well, mamuska, boogie men on SS etc. I like the modes where the shot moves around as well.

#7 6 years ago

I like stacking modes with multiballs. I enjoy stacking multiballs most of all.

#8 6 years ago

AFM - Strobe Multiball in a dark room is awesome.

#9 6 years ago

Fast Lock on TZ. I love how it plays the multi-ball music from each of Pat's earlier games (BR, ES, WW, FH, TAF) depending on when you hit the lock target.

#10 6 years ago

1. Taf - Hitting thing mb right after lighting it for 14+ mil JP shots!
    2. Lotr - Escape the wring wraiths
    3. Xmen - sentinels, juggernaut, and shadow king
    4. Fgy - chicken fight "don't let that cock get on top if you!"
    5. TAF - the MAMUSHKA!

#11 6 years ago

Also FGY - stewie sexy party. Love collecting as many women as possible

#12 6 years ago

cftbl move your car mode is pretty cool, love nuking the drive in

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Graveyard is fun on MSF, collecting the body parts to make a monster.

I was going to post this too. That mode alone makes me miss my MSF.

#14 6 years ago

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet, but "Tommy Scoring" from Tommy with the Blinders on is SICK.

#15 6 years ago

Hate to say it but I like video modes. Something different for pinball and each pin should have one.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from fusion301:

STTNG has some great modes, stacking Q with multiball

+1 ......I got over 1.3 bil during a Q mode multiball, I'm sure others have done much better.

#17 6 years ago

Lots of great modes mentioned. Not much from the "don't like" category, so I thought I'd add my 2 cents there...

I don't like scoring modes that just ring up numbers for a period of time. Like "all switches x2 for 30 seconds" or "all ramps x2 for 30 seconds". That just doesn't rock my boat. I much prefer objectives to complete.

In that vein, I'd mention most of the LoTR and TSPP modes along with Bone Saw in SM as really cool - DTR from LoTR probably being my favorite.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Hate to say it but I like video modes. Something different for pinball and each pin should have one.

Hate to say it but I was going to be the first to mention a least favorite mode, and thats video modes. No offense to you jackontherocks, I respect that you like them and am not trying to put you down, but personally they are not for me. They take me right out of the game.

#19 6 years ago

Want to mention one of my favorite modes too so I don't seem like a total curmudgeon. Frenzy on Funhouse. When he yells FRENZY! its one of my favorite callouts ever.

#20 6 years ago

I'll second the votes for Bank Bust in SM and Escape the Ringwraiths in LOTR. Both great modes. Basically anything in LOTR is awesome. I'd also add Disc War Multiball from Tron:LE. I specify the LE, because the color changing disc lighting really takes that mode to a whole other level.

#21 6 years ago

wh20 camera mode is cool. I also like frenzy mode in FH. Sometimes things go well, sometimes I wanna smack that little bastard!

#23 6 years ago

Chaos mode in JP is fun but I'm partial to that game since I own one. Least favorite is actually on the same game, Stampede because its always the first mode and is quite boring.

#24 6 years ago

Hey,

Springfield Mystery Spot. It's one of those "put an idiot grin on my face just thinking about it" modes.

Luke

#25 6 years ago

For my games, gotta be Move Your Car on CFTBL. Really cool twist on the typical hurry up mode. For WCS, Final Draw MB. When you get into the groove alternating ramp and goal shots... Biggest adrenaline rush I've ever had playing pinball! Least favorite has to be Boston Tea Party because of the sound effects.

#26 6 years ago

Dennis Nordman adds multiplied playfield scoring into many of his games. "Five times the fun" in WW and "Triple playfield scoring in Indy 500 are just a few. I love these modes and the strategy of when to start them and setting it all up for maximum scoring.

Least favorite mode for me would have to be the "GNR" video mode. No fun to be had there, I wish you could disable it.

#27 6 years ago

Everyone talking about Move Your Car got me to remembering that I really like the Demolition Drive-In mode on RFM. I didn't know about CFTBL before playing it, then saw it and it all clicked. (Kinda like how I watched SpaceBalls before I ever saw Star Wars, I guess. One of those "Oh, I see... now it's funnier" moments.) "Stop throwing popcorn, humans!" "I just washed it!"

#28 6 years ago

The Shadow discover hotel monilith mode, absolutely love the sound fx.

Roadshow taxi cab modes and atlanta trapped worker, very funny dots.

#29 6 years ago

Seance in TAF

Video Mode in Dr. Who

Ferengi mode in ST:TNG, Search the Galaxy, multiball, asteroid

Midnight Magic in ToM

Barnyard Multiball in MM and Royal Madness

Strobe Multiball AFM and Spiral Multiball RFM

That Hotel Monolith in Shadow even though I seem to drain pretty fast in that mode.

Rock the Boat in FT

#30 6 years ago

interesting, I thought the video mode in Dr. who got the same hate as the video mode in Tommy.
    Not really a mode but I love hitting that ramp in Dr who and getting the Sonic boom combos going...Millions Millions

#31 6 years ago

For me probably Destroy the Witchking in LOTR. Epic music.

#32 6 years ago

surprisingly I like space jams on fire mode where you have to keep hitting the basket shot for points with the shot clock going.

#33 6 years ago

total annihilation on afm

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from fusion301:

interesting, I thought the video mode in Dr. who got the same hate as the video mode in Tommy.
    Not really a mode but I love hitting that ramp in Dr who and getting the Sonic boom combos going...Millions Millions

I like the speech and the sounds in it mostly. It's a pretty simple mode, just jumping, but for some reason I like it.

I LOVE the Sonic Booms and loops in DW. In fact when I play that's my main method of playing, I shoot those all day long. I never get tired of that. I'll end up getting video mode and multiball mostly by the act of recovering any missed shots. I think my best loop record was like 265 in a game that net me about 5.5B score.

#35 6 years ago

One of my least favorite is Pop a Gopher on NGG. That mode was so annoying it played a part in my finally selling the game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Lighting - Backbox
    Lermods
    $ 149.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 179.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 199.99
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 38.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 24.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 229.99
    $ 34.99
    Cleaner
    Pinball Pro
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Star Wars Premium Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 50.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside