Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1379 (002) (resized).jpg
s-l640 (resized).jpg
107820A7-E570-4393-9774-274819C7717C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EternitytoM83.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Apologies if this is a repost, I promise I did a search.

For some reason, this year my family's normally busy vacation schedule has transformed into "sit on a beach, far away from other humans, and read a good book." So I'm wondering what book series others consider good.

I lean towards Fantasy and Science Fiction, so I've read a bunch of the classic series in those genres (Lord of the Rings, Dune, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, to name some favorites). I love Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, though I'm not sure if I'll dive back into it even if he does ever finish writing it. I've read everything Neil Gaiman and some things Terry Pratchett. In my teens I was obsessed with horror, so I've read all the classic Stephen King and Clive Barker stuff. Also enjoy a good historical novel (Jeff and Michael Shaara's Civil War Trilogy).

I recently finished the first triad of Wild Cards. It was fantastic and I could probably read the series for the rest of my natural life considering how many there are, but reviews seem to drop off after the first three so I'm not sure if I want to continue down that path. So before I write a novel of my own here, what are some of your favorite book series?

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from xamindar:

the Expanse series of books are pretty awesome, as well as the tv show being the best space show ever created.

I agree re: the show, guess I should've read the books first!

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

If you like books set in different times I recommend the Kingsbridge series by Ken Follett, starts with Pillars of the Earth which is a really long book at was made into a mini-series on Starz in the US.

Now that's something I never would have stumbled across on my own, but it sounds terribly interesting. Hmm, am I up for a thousand-page book?

Quoted from romulusx:

The Dark Tower series written by Stephen King.Just try the first in he series called The Gunslinger and see if you dig it.
I read this series three times the first time while I was reading the Harry Potter series to my youngest son.

Oh yeah, read The Dark Tower a couple times. I tried Harry Potter when my daughter was younger but we just couldn't get into it. I found it to be very derivative and not particularly well written.

I know, I just made a bajillion Harry Potter fans shoot death lasers out of their eyeballs.

#36 3 years ago

I'm gonna need a bigger bookshelf.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Apologize if someone has already posted this highly recommended series
[quoted image]

Why does your recommendation make my teeth hurt?

#68 3 years ago

Hey, 13-year-old me thought Tommyknockers was pretty okay.

Dreamcatcher, though... That was probably the beginning of the end of me reading his every word. So bad.

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Not a series recommendation but for sci fi check out Philip K Dick. Blade Runner and Total Recall were based on his works. I really like the short story collection Collected Stories of PKD. Kurt Vonnegut has some rad sci fi and generally unusual stories too.

Love them both. Come to think of it, I may still have some unread PKD books stashed away. Dude was prolific!

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

What the hell. No love for Ra? How about Terry goodkind or Robert jorden? Come on y’all...where are the nerds?

You got me, I've never read R. A. Salvatore. I'll turn in my nerd card on the way out.

Robert Jordan was amazing. Have you ever read his Conan novels? I may need to revisit those someday.

I read the first several Sword of Truth books, but it got sort of ridiculous after a while. My most vivid memory of those is arguing with some guy at a yard sale about how little he wanted to pay for them.

#101 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

If you are a star wars fan vector prime is good one to read.

Big Star Wars fan (see my avatar?), but I've never been able to get into the books for some reason. I don't know, I guess Star Wars is more of a visual thing for me.

My wife and daughter absolutely devoured Timothy Zahn's new Thrawn series, so I can give those a secondhand recommendation.

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I have an hour long commute every day, so I go through a lot of audiobooks.

Not to derail the thread, but that made me wonder: How many of you are "alternative" readers?

I've had multiple e-readers, from the old RCA ebook to a Kindle Paperwhite. They're so convenient for traveling, yet I always end up going back to good old-fashioned paper. Not sure why that is.

Quoted from skink91:

Also I would recommend not limiting yourself to JUST series as you are missing out on most of the best books

Oh yeah, didn't mean to imply that I only read series. But there's something satisfying about finishing a good book and knowing you can spend x more books with that world/characters.

#119 3 years ago
Quoted from curiusgeorge:

But the one series I've read over and over again since I discovered it as a child is the The Belgariad series by David Eddings. I'd put it up there with the Lord of the Rings honestly.

Weird, this was published during the period when I was grabbing all the fantasy I could get my grubby little hands on, but I've never heard of it. I consider this a failure of that F&SF book club I unintentionally joined (the one that mailed you books you didn't ask for each month).

If anyone's feeling ambitious, Gormenghast seems to be the most influential fantasy trilogy that no one's read. I've seen it described as "if Dickens wrote fantasy" and I think that's pretty accurate. The third one sort of goes off the rails IMO, but the first two are worth a read of you enjoy incredibly crafted characters and settings.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EternitytoM83.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-favorite-book-series?tu=EternitytoM83 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.