Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1379 (002) (resized).jpg
s-l640 (resized).jpg
107820A7-E570-4393-9774-274819C7717C (resized).jpeg
There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

Apologies if this is a repost, I promise I did a search.

For some reason, this year my family's normally busy vacation schedule has transformed into "sit on a beach, far away from other humans, and read a good book." So I'm wondering what book series others consider good.

I lean towards Fantasy and Science Fiction, so I've read a bunch of the classic series in those genres (Lord of the Rings, Dune, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, to name some favorites). I love Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, though I'm not sure if I'll dive back into it even if he does ever finish writing it. I've read everything Neil Gaiman and some things Terry Pratchett. In my teens I was obsessed with horror, so I've read all the classic Stephen King and Clive Barker stuff. Also enjoy a good historical novel (Jeff and Michael Shaara's Civil War Trilogy).

I recently finished the first triad of Wild Cards. It was fantastic and I could probably read the series for the rest of my natural life considering how many there are, but reviews seem to drop off after the first three so I'm not sure if I want to continue down that path. So before I write a novel of my own here, what are some of your favorite book series?

#2 3 years ago

John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee books

#3 3 years ago

Looking forward to the 3rd book in this series from Steven X Masters. I really like how these are written with the author sharing his flashbacks of his past and what leads him to his future.
https://www.authorhouse.com/en/bookstore/bookdetails/276615-Feel-The-Pain-of-a-Shattered-Dream

#4 3 years ago

I'm a big fan of the Aubrey–Maturin series, which the Russell Crow Master & Commander film was taken from the first book.

#5 3 years ago

Another excellent series is the "Doc Ford" novels by Randy Wayne White

#6 3 years ago

I liked Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt series.

#7 3 years ago

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is good fantasy/d&d kind of story.

#8 3 years ago

Saga of Seven Suns. Kind of a slow burn that builds up, but if you like sci-fi world building and mysteries, it's a good series that I don't see get a lot of attention.

Dresden Files is another series I enjoy. Basically, a superhero wizard investigator. Kind of a mix between harry potter and film noir. A new novel in the series just came out in the past month or so.

For stand alone novels, Snow Crash and Ready Player One were pretty good.

#9 3 years ago

The Malazan series by Steven Erikson and Ian Esslemont (sp?) is a big, epic series. Not an easy read, and hard to get into, but incredibly awesome once you do.

#10 3 years ago

the Expanse series of books are pretty awesome, as well as the tv show being the best space show ever created.

#11 3 years ago

Not a massive reader but I love the Riyria books by M.J Sullivan.

#12 3 years ago

Games Pinball manuals. So useful.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from xamindar:

the Expanse series of books are pretty awesome, as well as the tv show being the best space show ever created.

I agree re: the show, guess I should've read the books first!

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from xamindar:

I’m on season 2 of the show now & its excellent. I read the first book but had a hard time getting into it but the I’m feeling the books deserve a second chance.

#15 3 years ago

I haven't read it yet, but my friends recommend the Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan.

I've been reading lots of kid/teen books to my daughter. Lord of the rings and Harry Potter.

Also a lot of Roald Dahl. Charlie and the chocolate factory, the BFG, Matilda, James and the giant peach.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Saga of Seven Suns.

Loved this series. Just finished the first book of the latest trilogy.

I would also recommend the Red Rising series. Its a familiar theme of a lower class attempting to overthrow an entrenched heirarchy, but I couldn't put those books down.

#17 3 years ago

lord of the rings is a great series...

#18 3 years ago

If you like books set in different times I recommend the Kingsbridge series by Ken Follett, starts with Pillars of the Earth which is a really long book at was made into a mini-series on Starz in the US. He writes a lot of books set in different times and the Trilogy Series is quite good but many of his others, while not actually series are all great period pieces too. A Dangerous Fortune, A Place Called Freedom, The Key to Rebecca and multiple others are all set in some period in history. He does tend to have some weird sex scenes in his books so if that is an issue you should avoid them but it's never terribly graphic or the focus of the stories.

#19 3 years ago

The Dark Tower series written by Stephen King.Just try the first in he series called The Gunslinger and see if you dig it.
I read this series three times the first time while I was reading the Harry Potter series to my youngest son.

#20 3 years ago

Hustler

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Also enjoy a good historical novel

I highly recommend Leon Uris' Trinity, set in 19th and early 20th century Ireland. The sequel, Redemption, is set in New Zealand and later in Galipoli during World War I.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

If you like books set in different times I recommend the Kingsbridge series by Ken Follett, starts with Pillars of the Earth which is a really long book at was made into a mini-series on Starz in the US.

Now that's something I never would have stumbled across on my own, but it sounds terribly interesting. Hmm, am I up for a thousand-page book?

Quoted from romulusx:

The Dark Tower series written by Stephen King.Just try the first in he series called The Gunslinger and see if you dig it.
I read this series three times the first time while I was reading the Harry Potter series to my youngest son.

Oh yeah, read The Dark Tower a couple times. I tried Harry Potter when my daughter was younger but we just couldn't get into it. I found it to be very derivative and not particularly well written.

I know, I just made a bajillion Harry Potter fans shoot death lasers out of their eyeballs.

#23 3 years ago

Ra Salvator- drizzt. Enough said!

#24 3 years ago

Now that's something I never would have stumbled across on my own, but it sounds terribly interesting. Hmm, am I up for a thousand-page book?

Oh yeah, read The Dark Tower a couple times. I tried Harry Potter when my daughter was younger but we just couldn't get into it. I found it to be very derivative and not particularly well written.
I know, I just made a bajillion Harry Potter fans shoot death lasers out of their eyeballs.

It's really, really good and will suck you in pretty quickly. Might want to start with one of his shorter books to see if you like his style though, I've read just about everything he's written starting with Eye of the Needle a long time ago.

#25 3 years ago

All time favorite is The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings / The Silmarillion. I haven't tackled Unfinished Tales or any of JRRT's works edited by Christopher Tolkien yet though.

Michael Moorcock's Elric books were a lot of fun, and then there are many other of his Eternal Champion incarnations as well: Corum, Hawkmoon, etc.

C.S. Lewis' Narnia series, also his space trilogy - Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength.

Richard Adams' Watership Down and The Plague Dogs.

H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos stories. I picked up a volume of his entire output of fiction to wade through come Halloween. There are many short stories and novels set in the Cthulhu universe by Clark Ashton Smith and August Derleth that I'd highly recommend as well - The Clock of Dreams and The Transition of Titus Crow were great. Hyperborea was a collection of Smith's non-Cthulhu fiction that I really enjoyed.

Also recently read the entirety of Robert E Howard's Conan stories, which, as expected, were terrific. Right now I'm in the middle of a number of Conan books written by L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter - Conan the Conqueror, Conan the Swordsman, Conan and the Spider God, etc.

#26 3 years ago

You referenced some classic sci-fi but did not include Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. If you have not yet read that, dive in! It will be good timing, too. They are working on a mini series based on it. It looks good, but read the books first.

#27 3 years ago

Larry Niven's Ringworld series.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

You referenced some classic sci-fi but did not include Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. If you have not yet read that, dive in! It will be good timing, too. They are working on a mini series based on it. It looks good, but read the books first.

+1

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Larry Niven's Ringworld series.

+1. All of his Known Space stories are good. Protector is the best IMO.

#30 3 years ago

Some of my favorite series:

Harry Potter
Hobbit / Lord of the Rings
The Dark Tower Series
Hunger Games
The Passage
Mr. Mercedes
Silo Series (I haven't finished this one yet)

Solo books that are long enough they could be a series:

The Stand or IT (sounds like you've probably read those)
Abraham Lincoln by Carl Sandburg (since you mentioned the Civil War books)
Lonesome Dove
Swan Song

#31 3 years ago

F. Paul Wilson’s Repairman Jack series. Semi Lovecratian mythos set in the modern world with such an interesting main character.

#32 3 years ago

Iain M. Banks, sadly no longer with us, is an excellent sci fi author and is particularly good at injecting a bit of understated humour.
Alistair Reynolds is also very good. Read Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap in that order if you wish to abandon all hope
Charles Stross' Laundry Files books are all pretty good too. More about battling interdimensional horrors than sci fi. There are quite a few so make sure you start at the beginning.
I'll throw Neal Asher in there too who is also excellent.
Enjoy!

#33 3 years ago

David Wingrove's Son of Heaven is the first of a mega series that has some disturbing parallels to what is currently happening in the world. Quite a disturbing read.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from xamindar:

+1, love the books and the show gets better every season!

Another of my faves is Jack McDevitt with both his Academy series and Alex Benedict series.

Other good authors are John Scalzi with the Old Mans War series. Mira Grant (though a bit horror-esque but nothing like S. King) with the Newsflesh and Parasiteology series.

And for quick one-offs / beach-reads try John Wyndham with The Day of the Triffids and Out of the Deeps.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Some of my favorite series:
Harry Potter
The Dark Tower Series
Hunger Games
The Passage
Mr. Mercedes
Solo books that are long enough they could be a series:
The Stand or IT (sounds like you've probably read those)
Abraham Lincoln by Carl Sandburg (since you mentioned the Civil War books)
Lonesome Dove
Swan Song

Mr Mercedes was great,Finders Keepers was my favorite.The HBO series was pretty good.

#36 3 years ago

I'm gonna need a bigger bookshelf.

#37 3 years ago

Some of my faves I haven’t seen listed yet:
- Jim Butcher “The Codex of Alera” series
- Pierce Brown “Red Rising” series
- Leigh Bardugo “Six of Crows” (2 books)
- Dennis Taylor “We are Legion” series
- Drew Hayes “Super Powereds” series
- Brandon Sanderson “the Reckoners” series
- Dan Simmons “Hyperion” series
- Peter Brett “the Warded Man” Series
- Lev Grossman “the Magicians” series

#38 3 years ago

Apologize if someone has already posted this highly recommended series

107820A7-E570-4393-9774-274819C7717C (resized).jpeg107820A7-E570-4393-9774-274819C7717C (resized).jpeg
#39 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Apologize if someone has already posted this highly recommended series
[quoted image]

Why does your recommendation make my teeth hurt?

#40 3 years ago

Joe Abercrombie - the First Law trilogy and the other books in that world
Scott Lynch - Gentleman Bastard Series
Glen Cook - The Black Company and Garrett PI series

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from dontpanicflip:

Some of my faves I haven’t seen listed yet:
- Brandon Sanderson “the Reckoners” series

Everything Sanderson writes is gold in my book. I'd start with the Mistborn series. I think Reckoners is marketed as a young adult series, like a Harry Potter would be, but I liked it too.

#42 3 years ago

Why does your recommendation make my teeth hurt?

Is that a dental waiting room reading material reference?
If so...well done!
Went right over my head for a few minutes : )

#43 3 years ago

Stephen King Dark Tower books

#44 3 years ago

An Absolutely Remarkable thing (and it's follow up A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor) by Hank Green were fun.

#45 3 years ago

Terry Goodkind's Sword Of Truth series is great up to a point. It's up to 17 books (the original series was something like 11 books, but he can't help himself and keeps writing more books, which haven't been so great)

Jeff Wheeler writes some decent fantasy series. I've read Kingfountain and Legends of Muirwood series

Robin Hobb's books are pretty good. Farseer trilogy and on up. There's 4 or 5 trilogies set in that world so far. I've read all but the most recent.

I'm reading Sarah Moss Throne Of Glass series now. It's alright, but I could see it being written more for teenage girls.

I've read a lot of the other series mentioned already (Dark Tower, Wheel of Time, Mr Mercedes, LOTR, etc). I much prefer fantasy over sci-fi.

I hate to even mention I've read the Twilight series, Divergent series, and some of the Sookie Stackhouse books. I'd avoid all of that garbage.

#46 3 years ago

Most if not all of Stephen King’s work is a series. Love his subtle references to his own literary canon.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Most if not all of Stephen King’s work is a series. Love his subtle references to his own literary canon.

Agree. He's my go to guy when I want a good book. Excluding his short stories, I've read about 90% of his catalog so far. I've only disliked two of his books.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

For stand alone novels, Snow Crash and Ready Player One were pretty good.

Ready PO is a good read (hence my pinsider name), and though pretty different from the book, I liked the movie too.

Quoted from pin2d:

Great series

Quoted from pin2d:

Harry Potter

Classics

And I found the 1632/Ring of Fires series an interesting read.

#49 3 years ago

I loved me some King back in the day. I was his number two fan right behind Annie Wilkes. He kinda lost me with Dreamcatchers and REALLY lost me with the horrid Tommyknockers. I hear his later work is pretty damn good so hoping one day to revisit his world again

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I've only disliked two of his books.

Curious ...what two?

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-favorite-book-series?hl=wayinla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.