Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1379 (002) (resized).jpg
s-l640 (resized).jpg
107820A7-E570-4393-9774-274819C7717C (resized).jpeg
There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

I loved me some King back in the day. I was his number two fan right behind Annie Wilkes. He kinda lost me with Dreamcatchers and REALLY lost me with the horrid Tommyknockers. I hear his later work is pretty damn good so hoping one day to revisit his world again

Start with The Gunslinger and then The Drawing of the Three and the next one Wastelands will blow your mind!

#52 3 years ago

isn’t there a Ready Player one sequel to the novel in the works?

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

isn’t there a Ready Player one sequel to the novel in the works?

November 24 is the release date

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

I loved me some King back in the day.

I generally don't like long books, but The Stand is probably my favorite novel of all time. In fact, it's one of only a handful of books I've read more than once.

#55 3 years ago

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.
Really loved this series ..
6 books total.
It's a good read.

s-l640 (resized).jpgs-l640 (resized).jpg
#56 3 years ago

Thanks romu...but I did stick with the KING throughout that entire series. Just awesome.
Stopped reading around 06/07? The Cell didn’t sell me so gave him up. Hear 11/22/63 is vintage King.

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Curious ...what two?

Dreamcatchers was awful....just terrible. I didn't read that until about 2 years ago and wish I hadn't.

The Dark Half was the other. I read it about 15 years ago. It wasn't really bad, just boring.

Tommyknockers I haven't read yet. Maybe I should avoid that. It's mostly his early works that I haven't gotten to yet. I haven't read Cujo, Firestarter, Salem's Lot, Christine, or Pet Semetary yet. I've read pretty much every novel he's published since around 1995 and I hit the older stuff when I'm in the mood for a standalone book instead of a 7 book series.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Hear 11/22/63 is vintage King.

That one was excellent. I read it when it came out. I need to read it again someday.

#59 3 years ago

Hear Hear for the Stand. Read both the original and kings expanded release. I want more Trashcan Man!
Speaking of sequels ....Still Standing?

You know you want to Steve : )

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Tommyknockers I haven't read yet.

Consider yourself lucky

Quoted from loneacer:

I haven't read Cujo, Firestarter, Salem's Lot, Christine, or Pet Semetary yet.

I envy you. I really do. Would love to read these again for the first time.

Highlight : ) - The Dead Zone

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Consider yourself lucky

I’ve read The Dead Zone. It was excellent too. Probably 15 years ago. It’s another I’d love to read again sometime.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Hear Hear for the Stand. Read both the original and kings expanded release. I want more Trashcan Man!
Speaking of sequels ....Still Standing?
You know you want to Steve : )

CBS has another Stand mini series
coming out soon.I probaly shouldn’t tell anybody after what they did to Under the Dome!

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

6 books total.
It's a good read.
[quoted image]

I remember reading the first Chronicles of Thomas Covenant trilogy when I was in high school, and could hardly wait for each book as it came out. I liked the first three books more than the next three books, still enjoyed all of them. Donaldson went on to extend the series by writing another four books much later so if you really like his writing you have four more books to read!

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from Rezdog:

Consider yourself lucky

My King library. Tommyknockers is still sealed in plastic, apparently where it should be...

There's one or two duplicates in there I haven't given away yet. The older books I got from buying out other people's collections.

IMG_1379 (002) (resized).jpgIMG_1379 (002) (resized).jpg
#65 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Tommyknockers is still sealed in plastic,

Burn it

Quoted from romulusx:

I probaly shouldn’t tell anybody after what they did to Under the Dome!

Agree. Kinda amazes me how his written word rarely translate well to the screen.

#66 3 years ago

Any Bernard Cornwall series but specifically The Last Kingdom

Any DeMille series.

The Game of Thrones series.

#67 3 years ago

You're kind of making me want to read it.

#68 3 years ago

Hey, 13-year-old me thought Tommyknockers was pretty okay.

Dreamcatcher, though... That was probably the beginning of the end of me reading his every word. So bad.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Any Bernard Cornwall series but specifically The Last Kingdom
Any DeMille series.
The Game of Thrones series.

I have mixed feelings about Game Of Thrones. I didn't love any of it, but the first 3 books were interesting. Book 4 was bad and book 5 was borderline unreadable. I have no desire to finish the series if he ever writes them. I haven't watched the TV series either.

#70 3 years ago

I actually really liked Tommyknockers. It was basically a parable into his cocaine addiction seen through an alien sickness.

But yeah, Dreamcatcher was terrible.

#71 3 years ago

Rothfuss: Name of the Wind (King Killer Chronicles)
- Really enjoyed these. Hope they finish strong.

Sanderson: Stormlight and Mistborne.
- Both were very good. Again, hoping Stormlight finishes strong, but it's still got a couple books to go still.

As a result of liking Sanderson, I'm currently reading The Wheel of Time series by Jordan. I'm on book 3 and am enjoying it. The first book was a little clunky I thought, but 3 is reading at a better pace. Sanderson writes the last couple books of the series.

Grossman: The Magician's.
- Fun series. Dabbled in the show but didn't really like it.

Crouch: Recursion and Dark Matter
- These 2 aren't a series, but they have similar storylines. Both are good thriller sci fi.

Card: Ender's Game
- The majority of these were excellent. Reading the first Bean book which is basically the first Ender's book from a different character(Bean's) perspective was interesting and the first time I'd encountered something like that.

Dreamcatcher has been mentioned. I really like that movie, except for the ending. Never read the book and not sure if it ends as poorly, but aren't bad endings kind of King's thing?

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

As a result of liking Sanderson, I'm currently reading The Wheel of Time series by Jordan. I'm on book 3 and am enjoying it. The first book was a little clunky I thought, but 3 is reading at a better pace. Sanderson writes the last couple books of the series.

It’s a really strong series up through at least book 5. Then it’s average until book 10. 10 is a disaster. Seriously it’s just 850 pages of dialogue. Nothing happens. The rest of the series is solid, especially when Sanderson takes over at book 12.

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

It’s a really strong series up through at least book 5. Then it’s average until book 10. 10 is a disaster. Seriously it’s just 850 pages of dialogue. Nothing happens. The rest of the series is solid, especially when Sanderson takes over at book 12.

Interesting. I had a brief talk with a friend who was mad at the series, but I never really got any explanation. Maybe he was on book 10.

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

6 books total.
It's a good read.
[quoted image]

By far the best series i have ever read. 3000 pages. I’ve read it twice but not in a long long time. Books got lost on one of my moves. Unfortunate. Should read again.

#75 3 years ago

If any of you are into comics as well,

Invincible by Kirkman, Ottley and Walker is absolutely amazing. The story is basic gang of super hero's story, but very much for adults. The artwork, especially by Ottley is just amazing. There are several 2 page spreads of just pure intensity and destruction throughout. The series is complete and well worth your time. I just completed my 2nd full read through recently.

Sandman by Gaiman is another all time classic. Very strong recommend. It has also just been released as an audio book and the cast of actors voicing the characters is very strong. I'm thinking about listening while following along with the comics.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

but aren't bad endings kind of King's thing?

Sad but true

#77 3 years ago

Wish I had more time to read or heck even play pinball for that matter but I used to read a lot and really enjoyed James Patterson’s Alex Cross series and Vince Flynn’s Mitch Rapp series...super sad when Flynn passed away

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from Vabeachrunner4:

Wish I had more time to read or heck even play pinball for that matter but I used to read a lot and really enjoyed James Patterson’s Alex Cross series and Vince Flynn’s Mitch Rapp series...super sad when Flynn passed away

The Merovingian:
Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

#79 3 years ago

We Are Legion (We Are Bob) is a fantastic sci-fi series with a good dose of humor a la The Martian. There are three books out now and the fourth will drop in September. A word of warning, the first chapter is a boring prologue, but then the protagonist dies and the story livens up.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32109569-we-are-legion-we-are-bob

#80 3 years ago

Not a series but Time’s Arrow by Martin Amis is the most unique read I’ve read.

#81 3 years ago

I highly recommend Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.
One can start with Cabinet of Curiousities.
I've rarely had someone start, and not get addicted.
19 books, Most were Best sellers, one movie, not so good from their first book relic.

#82 3 years ago

All of Pat Conroy.

#83 3 years ago

Did like the Hardy Boys, and even Nancy Drew wasn't that bad.

As I read more, and got older, something seemed off. Didn't read anywhere regarding kissing or holding your girlfriend very closely.

#84 3 years ago

John le Carré's Smiley series

#85 3 years ago

Not a series recommendation but for sci fi check out Philip K Dick. Blade Runner and Total Recall were based on his works. I really like the short story collection Collected Stories of PKD. Kurt Vonnegut has some rad sci fi and generally unusual stories too.

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Not a series recommendation but for sci fi check out Philip K Dick. Blade Runner and Total Recall were based on his works. I really like the short story collection Collected Stories of PKD. Kurt Vonnegut has some rad sci fi and generally unusual stories too.

Love them both. Come to think of it, I may still have some unread PKD books stashed away. Dude was prolific!

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Love them both. Come to think of it, I may still have some unread PKD books stashed away. Dude was prolific!

I'm listening to the first collection of Dick's short stories on audible now. Good stuff. I've already read a few of his books.

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

You referenced some classic sci-fi but did not include Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. If you have not yet read that, dive in! It will be good timing, too. They are working on a mini series based on it. It looks good, but read the books first.

Also he wrote the various robot stories, and then later tied together robots and Foundation. So if you want to revisit or read for the first time, read the whole wad as it occurs in its own timeline. As in here:

https://scl.bibliocommons.com/list/share/92757872/97942932

Then for Dune, read the entire series including the newer stuff written by his son in its chronological order, as in here:

https://www.dunenovels.com/articles/tags-blog/chronology

I recently did those, and I’m going to go through The Dark Tower again next, I only read that through once before. Might as well read it again. The very end of the last book is simply classic.

#89 3 years ago

Asimov's Foundation series

#90 3 years ago

What the hell. No love for Ra? How about Terry goodkind or Robert jorden? Come on y’all...where are the nerds?

#91 3 years ago

If you read the unabridged version of the Count of Monte Cristo, it might as well be a series. I recently finished the audio book. It was over 52 hours long. Great book. I thought I knew the story from the two hour movie. Not at all.

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Dreamcatchers was awful....just terrible. I didn't read that until about 2 years ago and wish I hadn't.
The Dark Half was the other. I read it about 15 years ago. It wasn't really bad, just boring.
Tommyknockers I haven't read yet. Maybe I should avoid that. It's mostly his early works that I haven't gotten to yet. I haven't read Cujo, Firestarter, Salem's Lot, Christine, or Pet Semetary yet. I've read pretty much every novel he's published since around 1995 and I hit the older stuff when I'm in the mood for a standalone book instead of a 7 book series.

The Shining is one of his best IMO. It you've seen the film it pretty much follows the book however.

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I have mixed feelings about Game Of Thrones. I didn't love any of it, but the first 3 books were interesting. Book 4 was bad and book 5 was borderline unreadable. I have no desire to finish the series if he ever writes them. I haven't watched the TV series either.

I only read the first book which I thought was very well written but with huge swathes of f*ck all happening. Put me off the rest.

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

What the hell. No love for Ra? How about Terry goodkind or Robert jorden? Come on y’all...where are the nerds?

You got me, I've never read R. A. Salvatore. I'll turn in my nerd card on the way out.

Robert Jordan was amazing. Have you ever read his Conan novels? I may need to revisit those someday.

I read the first several Sword of Truth books, but it got sort of ridiculous after a while. My most vivid memory of those is arguing with some guy at a yard sale about how little he wanted to pay for them.

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Card: Ender's Game
- The majority of these were excellent. Reading the first Bean book which is basically the first Ender's book from a different character(Bean's) perspective was interesting and the first time I'd encountered something like that.

I read the first two books and loved them. I didn't particularly care for the third book, and I don't think I even made it all the way through the fourth one. It just became way too focused on religion and philosophy for me. In fact, I was so turned off by the fourth one that I never even gave any of the books that came out later a try.

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

The Shining is one of his best IMO. It you've seen the film it pretty much follows the book however.

I read the Shining back in the late 90s. It wasn't really one of my faves. I like more fantasy/supernatural plots and The Shining seemed more like straight horror. Doctor Sleep is his sequel to The Shining and I liked it a lot better.

#97 3 years ago

I read the first several Sword of Truth books, but it got sort of ridiculous after a while. My most vivid memory of those is arguing with some guy at a yard sale about how little he wanted to pay for them.

I made it to around book 13 of Sword of Truth and it was so poorly written I sold the whole set I had been collecting. I really loved Nicci though and he's since written The Nicci Chronicles series. They're on my shelf, but I haven't started them yet. The reviews are good.

#98 3 years ago

You got me, I've never read R. A. Salvatore. I'll turn in my nerd card on the way out.
Robert Jordan was amazing. Have you ever read his Conan novels? I may need to revisit those someday.

I have not read the Conan novels. My older brother told me they are awesome. Robert Jordan detail is amazing. You sometimes feel like come on man get to the point! I only read the first of Sanderson finish up on the Wheel of time series. I thought he did a good job. I need to order the rest and Conan.

You need to read book ten of the Sword of Truth series. It took a lot will power to finish that. You wouldn’t of argued with the yard sale guy on that one. The series is good over all. It just goes down hill book by book.

If you never played dungeon and dragons. RA’s drizzt series may not be the one for you. If you do read it start with the ice wind dale trilogy.
If you are a star wars fan vector prime is good one to read. The highway man is a good series . Its a non DnD series also.

#99 3 years ago

Anyone into Warhammer 40k? If you want to instantly open pandora's box to an immense world and tons of books, this is your chance. Warhammer is an interesting blend of sci fi and fantasy and the universe is so immense that there is bound to be a story line that you would enjoy.

A coworker turned me on to 40k not too long ago. I was aware of it as a game, but didn't know there was the plethora of material to go along with it.

I started with the Eisenhorn series which is a nice gateway into 40k. Eisernhorn is a detective of sorts and the series gets you familiar with various sub sections of the universe.

Also read all the Chaos Marine books. The Chaos Marines are most definitely on team evil in the universe, but these books are written from their perspective. Leads to some uncomfortable moments when you start to side with them even know they are doing horrific things.

Quoted from gweempose:

I read the first two books and loved them. I didn't particularly care for the third book, and I don't think I even made it all the way through the fourth one. It just became way too focused on religion and philosophy for me. In fact, I was so turned off by the fourth one that I never even gave any of the books that came out later a try.

It has been like 10 years since I read them. I do remember some of that in the later books, but don't remember disliking any of them. I have been thinking about rereading some of them.

Dune is another series that falls in to this maybe gets too religious convo. It's also another series that I definitely read all or most of, but weirdly don't remember much of the minutia. In my mind Dune is still Sting and the floating Baron. Might have to revisit these again as well.

Digging this thread, so far I've added 'The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant', 'We Are Legion (We Are Bob)', 'The Saga of Seven Suns' to my list of books to check out.

#100 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I generally don't like long books, but The Stand is probably my favorite novel of all time. In fact, it's one of only a handful of books I've read more than once.

Great book. Sometimes I really like how King can go all in and make epic length novels. Yet at the same time he can craft really well done stories like Eyes of the Dragon that are pretty efficient in words/pacing.

I can also recommend the Wool series. Pretty interesting dystopian series.

There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-your-favorite-book-series/page/2?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.