20240414_123040 (resized).jpg
20240414_122939 (resized).jpg
20240414_122952 (resized).jpg
20240414_122714 (resized).jpg
20240414_122838 (resized).jpg
20240414_122811 (resized).jpg
20240414_122854 (resized).jpg
IMG_1657 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beadwindow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1538 3 years ago

working on a Capersville which has always been a must-have pinball for me. everything from the deep and maybe the deepest EM rule set to the colors, gameplay, multiball, and art has always grabbed my attention. over the years i obtained 3 (2 English and one German) machines and sent off one playfield to be professionally restored and clear coated. now the reassembly has begun with some new parts as needed such as flipper rebuild kits and pop bumper caps. i've decided to get it all together and play it and put off some of the resto until later such as whitening all the playfield posts if they're ABS and repainting the cab. i've got the head pretty much complete and disassembling 21 score reels was tedious but necessary. the original backglass is in good shape but i have a repro from bg resto. the playfield assembly is coming to an end and working on the top now and i'm in the process of flattening a few plastics. the last step and what will be the longest will be going through everything in the cab.

IMG-3219 (resized).jpgIMG-3219 (resized).jpg
5 months later
#1957 2 years ago

i woulda done the lamp connectivity mod while working on it. i also have a surf champ and am about to do the mod to all the sockets.

7 months later
#2417 2 years ago

damn, that Gemini is a beautiful game! now i want one.

2 months later
#2679 1 year ago
Quoted from lazySUNBATHER:

Surf Champ getting a slight face lift…
She’s fully running after KS relay clean and AX relay properly adjusted. We are Hosting the IFPA 17 Worlds Championship this next week so flipper rebuild will have to wait.
[quoted image][quoted image]

great article on fixing gottlieb spinners in terms of having them score properly which they typically don't do.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surf-champ-slummin-spinner

6 months later
#3093 1 year ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Working on this Bronco. Cleaned it, new rubbers and LED’s. Now just gotta figure out why a game wont start. I’m a novice on EM’s so trying to learn
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

i don't think that post between the flippers is supposed to be there. looks like a ball can't drain if the flippers are down.

5 months later
#3473 11 months ago

Just picked up these two.

5ED8958D-74C5-4D54-AFA6-F65A8923D1D7 (resized).jpeg5ED8958D-74C5-4D54-AFA6-F65A8923D1D7 (resized).jpeg
#3486 11 months ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Wow, a pair of highly sought after rarities ! I know someone who has had this game on his want list for a long time.
Related question: I gather there is no existing replacement for that thermometer ribbon reel ? If that part ever failed and could not be repaired, you'd have to go looking for a situation where one of these got parted out, which is unlikely.

there's one member on here that makes replacement ribbons but he's out of stock at the moment. the red part of the ribbon on the one machine i'm working on is in good shape but the white part is dirty which is probably the issue with most of these. going to get everything cleaned and working and then revisit this issue.

#3487 11 months ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Thinking these are the pair that were on eBay? Was seriously gonna pull the trigger on those just didn't care to have shipping from the West Coast. They didn't look to be in bad shape from the eBay pictures. Congratulations.

yep, these are the ones. i'd say they're both in fair shape and there weren't many pics provided but i took the risk because i'd been looking for one for years and i figured they were gonna go pretty quickly. both playfields are in really nice shape from a wear point of view but unfortunately one has mouse urine stains on the playfield so it's on the backburner for now till i get the other one cleaned up, cab repaint, etc. i expected to see a huge mess of chewed wires and corrosion everywhere when first looking in the cab but evidently the mice didn't get into there and chew everything up, it's actually surprisingly clean. ideally i'd put one of wade's repro playfields in one and replace the stained playfield with the good one for the other machine. last pic is of the other playfield.
IMG-0980 (resized).jpgIMG-0980 (resized).jpgIMG-0981 (resized).jpgIMG-0981 (resized).jpgIMG-0982 (resized).jpgIMG-0982 (resized).jpg

IMG-0983 (resized).jpgIMG-0983 (resized).jpg
#3488 11 months ago

done so far on C-37:
-waited till i had the pins before ordering Pinball Pimp stencils since they're almost 200 bones per set w/ shipping.
-ordered Montana paints for the cab graphics, not sure what white i'll use.
-completed disassembly and cleaning of 2 of the stepper units in the head minus the credit unit. first time i've seen a completely immobile stepper (ball count unit) with globs of solidified grease. cleaned all the score reel units and saw that the 10k unit had all but the top switch in the stack bent down and forced into the lowest slot of the plastic armature. that was intentionally done for some reason but i'm pretty much done with the head.
started on the playfield underside and installed flipper rebuild kits, soldered all the lamp sockets for better connectivity, put in non ghosting color correct LED's and warm white ones for the white inserts. the main issue is going to be the drop target bank-it's a little sluggish and looks like a pain to get to all the internals.

#3490 11 months ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Rustoleum Heirloom White is my go to for a Gottlieb em repaint if you are using rattle cans.
[quoted image]

after doing some reading on here it looks like there's a few white colors that people prefer but i think i'm going to go with your recommendation. my Dimension cab was redone before i bought it and they did an outstanding job but the white is too bright.

#3493 11 months ago

here's my Dimension with the bright white cab paint which also demonstrates the results of a trigger happy webbing application, a can of montana pink panther and tiny can of kicking yellow.
this link shows a great drop target bank how-to of disassembly and reassembly:

IMG-1003 (resized).jpgIMG-1003 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3502 10 months ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Were you indicating that repro replacement playfields for C37 are available ? If so, how good are they, what's the price, are they pre-cleared, and a link please. (I had been under the impression that replacement playfields for EMs were pretty much nonexistent ? Insufficient demand to justify their manufacture.)

no, the only replacement playfields that I’m aware of are Wade Krause’s which are incredibly high quality works of art. he’s done a run of C-37’s so I was mentioning installing one of those would be the ideal situation if one comes up for sale. as for my second C-37 machine, I’ll be selling it at some point.

#3512 10 months ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Thanks. Sounds like that production run was very past tense, so there's no point in trying to get in touch with him ? Was the repro artwork based on high-res scans, or ____ ?

wow, you’ve never heard of Krause’s playfields? he’s pretty much a legend and there’s tons of posts on here about his work. he does all the work himself to include cutting the boards, inserts, silkscreening, etc. they’re done just like the factory ones were but are of even better quality. he uses original playfields as templates for the art. he does limited runs and enough people have to be interested to get a batch done and it may take a year or more for completion as it’s extremely labor intensive. do a search on here and you’ll have plenty of reading material.

#3520 10 months ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I may be restoring a cabinet on a Gottlieb Top Card. Is anyone familiar with what colors are normally used for this game? Obviously white cabinet with blue and red stencils, and from the pictures it looks like black specks. I was looking to spray with my spray gun and was considering using Rust-O-Leum oil base. Is there a specific color white, red and blue?

looks like the blue and red stripes go beneath the leg attachment points and that may be a good spot to compare some paint samples to if no one can help with the exact colors.

1 month later
#3600 9 months ago

EMsInKC
what did you use for the splatter paint on the cab? looks like localized areas of webbing.

2 months later
#3866 6 months ago

how would you get the plexi to lay flat on the playfield particularly where there isn't a playfield feature holding it down? the rollover buttons would be an issue too.

1 month later
#3988 4 months ago

i bought a pair of these machines and now one is working thanks to an extremely skilled, local pinball repairman. a ron webb backglass is on the way and i have a set of pinball pimp stencils to redo the cab with. still much cleaning and flattening of plastics left to do.

IMG-1463 (resized).jpgIMG-1463 (resized).jpg
#3991 4 months ago
Quoted from Garrett:

37 is a fun pin, nice playfield condition too.
Do you really have three Capersville pins?

thanks. playfield cleaned up better than i thought it would.
i have one c-ville set up and playing, a german version in storage and the third one is also in storage but is missing a few parts that i've pulled off for the other two.

1 month later
#4031 3 months ago

outstanding work!
regarding the more detailed work like the women’s faces, how did you replicate those?
Thanks.

#4038 3 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Lacquer from a spray can?

what I’ve done in the past and I believe I got the idea on here from Vid’s guide, is to cure the paint with a heat gun after application. takes just a few seconds.
I was using Createx Auto-Air paints via airbrush on a Bally Express playfield and the method worked great.

#4042 3 months ago
Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

I used Createx too. An expensive product but I guess you get what you pay for. I was a bit nervous in using the Frisket paper to cut the blue white and yellow areas as there's no black break line to fall back on but it was fine. The blue break lines around the white areas were cut from vinyl. I've used water-slide decals more in the past but they can be problematic whereas vinyl is more forgiving. It's not perfect but I'm happy enough with it considering how worn it was and it now lives to play another day.

createx may be pricey but it’s just about free when compared to the time and effort that goes into this kind of work.
why did you choose to go the 2 part clear route as opposed to heat curing? seems like significantly more hassle.

2 months later
#4104 27 days ago

About to do a playfield swap on SW.
Machine’s in great shape as is the original playfield but the inserts were about as sunken as any I’ve ever seen hence the new PF. New Webb Backglass too.

IMG_1816 (resized).jpegIMG_1816 (resized).jpeg
#4106 27 days ago
Quoted from PlanetExpress:

I posted a bunch of photos in the Kruzman thread, the most helpful will be this one about the misdrilled pop bumper on those Strange World playfields (@playdim documented the same error). https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kruzman-monthly-playfield-thread/page/76#post-7840746
Great game, enjoy!

thanks much! i had seen that post before but forgot about it.
it is a great game although when I reassemble it, I’ll be putting the posts to the conservative position. they’re all currently set to liberal and it’s pretty easy to roll it.

#4112 26 days ago
Quoted from PlanetExpress:

The flipper mech was an easy one, the pop bumper was harder. With the pop bumper there are holes nearby that your drill could get pulled into.

I think I’ll fill the existing pop bumper holes with epoxy putty and redrill them properly.
Wasn’t aware the flipper alignment was off too.
Wonder what happened with the initial drilling when the playfields were made.
Not a big deal though.

1 week later
#4124 13 days ago

after repopulating the bottom of the playfield i managed to get much of the top done. i'm waiting on some mylar pop bumper protectors to arrive to button everything up. for the misaligned pop bumper mounting bracket holes on these playfields i filled them with epoxy putty but i also slightly enlarged the holes in the brackets themselves. i have a drill press so it was easy to do it accurately.
i used ron's method of removing the clearcoat around the post holes and followed that up with super glue. worked great and had no issues.
IMG_1851 (resized).jpgIMG_1851 (resized).jpg

#4125 11 days ago

got it finished + pic of everything installed.
what's been done:
Webb backglass
Krause/Kruzman playfield
new plastics
non ghosting LEDs for the inserts
LEDs in head with blinking ones behind "Strange World" but i found a stash of original GE blinking bulbs i forgot i had so those will be going in.
44's underneath the plastics. 47's are too weak plus heat will never be an issue at home.
all playfield posts are set to conservative. too easy otherwise.

IMG_1858 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_1858 (1) (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Machine - For Sale
Baldwinsville, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 51.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beadwindow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-you-working-on-right-now?tu=beadwindow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.