20240414_123040 (resized).jpg
20240414_122939 (resized).jpg
20240414_122952 (resized).jpg
20240414_122714 (resized).jpg
20240414_122838 (resized).jpg
20240414_122811 (resized).jpg
20240414_122854 (resized).jpg
IMG_1657 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Flipsteen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1394 3 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

Worth the effort cleaning & polishing all the metal posts & hardware, so far so good [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How did you get them that shiny? I just polished up the very dull jeweled posts on a Bowling Queen with metal poiish and soft buffer and no way looks that good.

3 months later
#1689 3 years ago

#sea-shore Trying to adjust two Gottlieb score control relays with a total of 11 switches, 6 of which are make/break switches will turn your gray hair to white. I think I finally fixed the scoring but those short switch blades jammed into a small switch stack have zero margin of gap error and are not fun to mess with.

1 year later
#2487 2 years ago

Working on a 1964 Gottlieb Sea Shore restoration. Replaced broken switches, cleaned all the steppers and switches, rebuilt flippers and roto target and everything is working great and scoring accurately.

Cleaned nicotine stained cabinet with Mean Green.

Cleaned number score reels with soap and water.

Flattened the plastics in 190 deg oven and then cleaned with novus.

Replaced all the torn and yellowed relay labels and pasted with glue stik.

Yesterday I used Evapo-Rust for the first time and very happy with the resuts for the coin plate and coin door. Had to first strip off the gold paint, then soaked the parts in evaop-rust overnight and buffed with Mother's mag polish.

Still to go: PF is in pretty good shape but needs a good cleaning and waxing. Pop bumper caps all good. Replacing all rubbers.

nicotine stained cabinet (resized).pngnicotine stained cabinet (resized).pngMean Green Cabinet (resized).pngMean Green Cabinet (resized).pngMean Green Head (resized).pngMean Green Head (resized).pngUnder PF (resized).pngUnder PF (resized).pngDirty Score Reels (resized).pngDirty Score Reels (resized).pngCleaned score reels (resized).pngCleaned score reels (resized).pngNew labels (resized).pngNew labels (resized).pngpolished posts (resized).pngpolished posts (resized).pngGold coin door (resized).pngGold coin door (resized).pngRusted Coin Door (resized).pngRusted Coin Door (resized).pngEvaporust Door (resized).pngEvaporust Door (resized).png
#2489 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

One you don't see every day.
That door came out nice considering.

There was still blotches of rust after 17 hours but after 24 I was able to rinse and wipe it all clean. Definitely now an evapo-rust believer.

#2495 2 years ago
Quoted from Peruman:

Did you get new decals for the roto target? Those look great.
Alberto

Quoted from Wylte:

First EM I ever played! Please take lots of good pictures while you have it stripped down, it would be great to be able to update the virtual version

I already own a Sea Shore and love the theme and game play and picked up this project with the confidence that I could refer back to the one I have. Hoping to restore this one for a possible trade or sale.

The flippers were chewed up and I rebuilt with new parts from PBR and now the snappiest of all my games.

The roto target numbers are in decent shape but the mechanism was gummed up and had to be cleaned and polished to work right.

Roto target sea shore restoration (resized).jpgRoto target sea shore restoration (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#2562 2 years ago

Working on a Sea Shore Pin with very rusty legs. Soaked them overnight in vinegar and next day rinsed, wiped, and lightly buffed with Mother's mag and alum with a hand towel. I have used evaoporust in the past but the vinegar is a whole lot cheaper and thought the results were comparable. I bought the cleaning vinegar at Home Depot for $2 a half gallon but any white vinegar should work.

Rusty Sea Shore legs (resized).jpgRusty Sea Shore legs (resized).jpgSea Shore legs Vinegar treatment (resized).jpgSea Shore legs Vinegar treatment (resized).jpg
#2565 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Great results. What strength is the vinegar (%acidity)?

Hope Depot says 6%. They also have 30% vinegar but I wanted to try the regular first and it worked great.

#2570 2 years ago

Been working on Flipper Cowboy on and off and today after doing a little extensive
work on the Roto Target, she's all gone through and playing fine.

Looks great. Numbers look good on the Roto Target too that often get marred.

#2576 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Actually, those are decals from Pinball Resource.
This is the first time I went through a Flipper Cowboy, but on one of the
Cowpokes, I sanded down the numbered targets, taped off and painted

The PBR decals look great. Debating whether to use them on a Sea Shore restoration. Most of the roto numbers look good but a few have some paint missing.

#2581 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I put in a good size order to PBR when ordering the Roto Target decals so I took
another look at the receipt, and they were $18.00. For me it was worth it, but in
your case having only a few numbers missing paint, you might want to try a black
and white new fine point Sharpie.

I'm going to get the white sharpie. Do you think I need to cover with clear film or krylon spray after I use sharpie? Will the ball hitting the numbers chip off the sharpie ink? Thanks

6 months later
#3058 1 year ago

My Bowling Queen one’s score reel started sticking and after pulling the reels in and out to rebuild them, the plastic channels that hold the score reels in place started cracking and breaking apart which is known to happen on these older Gottliebs. Often the top or bottom channel edge where the cotter pin holds the score reel will break and if you’re lucky only one of them will crack so you can have at least one pin holding the reel. But these were totally gone and had to be replaced.

Until recently these channels were impossible to find. Fortunately John at Space Coast Pinball has made very nice replicas of the plastic channels (I guess with 3D printing) and sells them on Pinside. I drilled out the old rivets and bought new 3/32” x 7/32” brass rivets from Pinball Resource. The base of the new channel is a little thicker than the original so you’ll need 7/32” rivet length rather than the original Gottlieb 5/32” length. Since the rivets are tiny and relatively soft they were easy to bang in place using a steel nail punch and hammer on top of a steel vise. (A number of threads on Pinside discuss various methods for riveting.) You can also use #2 screws and nuts to secure the channels but the rivets are easy to install and I like to restore to the original.

new replacement channels (resized).jpgnew replacement channels (resized).jpginstalled replacement channels (resized).jpginstalled replacement channels (resized).jpgnew score reel channels in Bowling Queen (resized).jpgnew score reel channels in Bowling Queen (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3067 1 year ago

Working my way through a 1955 Williams Three Deuces - cleaning all the relay contacts and very rusty wire forms for the rollovers. Just cleaned and polished a very dirty score motor. Used dawn soap and water and then cleaned with wire wheel on the bench buffer. I found this early Williams score motor a lot easier to disassemble and clean than the later Gottlieb wedgeheads score motors.

Three Deuces Bottom Board (resized).jpgThree Deuces Bottom Board (resized).jpgDirty Score motor FB (resized).jpgDirty Score motor FB (resized).jpgDirty Score motor FB2 (resized).jpgDirty Score motor FB2 (resized).jpgThree Deuces score motor clean before assembling  (resized).jpgThree Deuces score motor clean before assembling (resized).jpgThree deuces all assembled FB (resized).jpgThree deuces all assembled FB (resized).jpg
1 month later
#3190 1 year ago

Spent the last couple of months restoring this 1955 Wiliams Three Deuces. Used polyurethane dropper method to level badly cupped inserts. They were too brittle to remove. Rebuilt score motor and all steppers. Removed rust from all rollover wire forms. Restored painted over coin door to original design, and did some pf paint touchup

Some before and after pics.

Looking forward to playing but working out a tech issue just posted in EM tech.

Before Score Motor (resized).jpgBefore Score Motor (resized).jpgAfer Score motor (resized).jpgAfer Score motor (resized).jpgBefore PF (resized).jpgBefore PF (resized).jpgBefore pop bumper (resized).jpgBefore pop bumper (resized).jpgBefore pf 2 (resized).jpgBefore pf 2 (resized).jpgBefore rail (resized).jpgBefore rail (resized).jpgBefore Coin Door (resized).jpgBefore Coin Door (resized).jpgBefore flippers (resized).jpgBefore flippers (resized).jpgBefore inserts (resized).jpgBefore inserts (resized).jpgAfter pf close (resized).jpgAfter pf close (resized).jpgAfter rail (resized).jpgAfter rail (resized).jpgAfter Coin door (resized).jpgAfter Coin door (resized).jpgAfter bottom board (resized).jpgAfter bottom board (resized).jpg
#3192 1 year ago

Thanks Mark. Mean Green works great as a degreaser on mechanics and steppers. Bench buffer for polishing. There are some good YouTube’s for rebuilding pop bumpers, stepper units and flippers. After sanding woodrails I used rub on poly - much cleaner and no odor that you get with rattle can.

#3198 1 year ago

Restoring Williams Rocket. Cleaned very dirty PF with Novus 2 and then 99.9% alcohol and magic eraser and repeated both. Touched up a lot of missing paint. Next will level inserts with polyurethane drip method. Then more cleaning and clear. Before and After pics.

Rocket PF Before4 (resized).jpgRocket PF Before4 (resized).jpgRocket PF before 3jpeg (resized).jpegRocket PF before 3jpeg (resized).jpegRocket PF before (resized).jpegRocket PF before (resized).jpegRocket PF After (resized).jpgRocket PF After (resized).jpg
#3203 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Great work! Wanna do mine next?

Thanks JR. I'm gonna be at this Rocket for awhile. All steppers, pop bumpers, flippers have to be cleaned, polished and rebuilt. Looking forward to the day when I'm finally playing these games.

#3205 1 year ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Nice looking touchups but may I suggest you completely clean the playfield before doing touchups. You risk ruining your good work cleaning more now. And pull out the nails and rollover wires, anything protruding so you can clean thoroughly. Looking good though.

Agreed - definitely don't clean with any chemicals after paint but I like to wipe off with microfiber cloth to remove any dust before clear. My last restore had a dozen rusty rollover wires that had to come off and clean so I got a little lazy here. Again you're right about nails - they also badly poke your hands badly no matter how much you try to work around them.

#3207 1 year ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

That looks great. Your touch up skills are incredible. I can’t wait to see this finished.

Had a lot of help with the paint touch up from an artist friend. She's amazing with color match.

1 month later
#3288 1 year ago

After rebuilding the slingshot kickers on a 1959 Williams Rocket restore, I noticed the old high current switches for the slings were mangled and damaged from years of play. Pinball Resource to the rescue with shiny new high current switches that includes the brackets. Easy to install and now they just need to be wired up.

Mangled Sling Switches (resized).pngMangled Sling Switches (resized).pngNew High Current Slingshot Sw PBR (resized).pngNew High Current Slingshot Sw PBR (resized).pngNew slingshot Sws intalled (resized).pngNew slingshot Sws intalled (resized).png
1 month later
#3431 12 months ago

Before and after restoration photos of 1959 Williams Rocket. In the lineup and playing great.

1a. Rocket PF Before4 (resized).jpg1a. Rocket PF Before4 (resized).jpg1b. Rocket PF before (resized).jpeg1b. Rocket PF before (resized).jpegRocket PF with touchup paint (resized).jpegRocket PF with touchup paint (resized).jpeglower pf Rocket touch up paint (resized).jpeglower pf Rocket touch up paint (resized).jpegRocket Motor (resized).jpgRocket Motor (resized).jpgDirty bottom board (resized).jpgDirty bottom board (resized).jpgga. Rocket Motor Board Before (resized).jpgga. Rocket Motor Board Before (resized).jpgam.Rocket Motorboard After 4 (resized).jpgam.Rocket Motorboard After 4 (resized).jpgRocket Mototboard After 3 (resized).pngRocket Mototboard After 3 (resized).pngRocket Motor Board After (resized).pngRocket Motor Board After (resized).pngSelection Unit Rocket Before (resized).jpgSelection Unit Rocket Before (resized).jpgSelection Unit Rocket After (resized).jpgSelection Unit Rocket After (resized).jpgca. Count Down Rocket Before (resized).jpgca. Count Down Rocket Before (resized).jpgcb. Count Down Rocket After (resized).jpgcb. Count Down Rocket After (resized).jpgRocket Before Flipper Plungers (resized).pngRocket Before Flipper Plungers (resized).pngRocket After Flipper Plunger (resized).pngRocket After Flipper Plunger (resized).pngRocket Bumper lamps (resized).pngRocket Bumper lamps (resized).pngRocket Before Cabinet Parts (resized).pngRocket Before Cabinet Parts (resized).pngRocket Coin Door Before (resized).pngRocket Coin Door Before (resized).pngRocket Coint Door before painting (resized).pngRocket Coint Door before painting (resized).pngRocket Coin Door Frame painted (resized).pngRocket Coin Door Frame painted (resized).pngCoin Door after (resized).jpgCoin Door after (resized).jpgRocket Rusty Cigarette Holder (resized).pngRocket Rusty Cigarette Holder (resized).pngRocket Cigarette holder after (resized).jpgRocket Cigarette holder after (resized).jpgRocket PF 3 (resized).pngRocket PF 3 (resized).pngRocket Red Legs Before (resized).jpgRocket Red Legs Before (resized).jpgRocket Complete After (resized).pngRocket Complete After (resized).pngRocket in the lineup (resized).jpegRocket in the lineup (resized).jpegRocket in the lineup (resized).jpgRocket in the lineup (resized).jpgCarl's Woodies (resized).jpgCarl's Woodies (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#3454 11 months ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Here's the finished head-[quoted image]

Wow - nice work.

#3460 11 months ago

Will be working on this 1949 Gottlieb Sharpshooter. I expect a lot of the work will be cleaning and rebuilding the mechanics. Playfield is in good shape and should clean up nicely. Came with a BGresto BG. This will be my oldest machine but hear it's a fun player.

Sharpshooter PF (resized).jpegSharpshooter PF (resized).jpegSharpshooter head BG (resized).jpegSharpshooter head BG (resized).jpeg
5 months later
#3913 6 months ago
Quoted from Bonk:

any tips for getting this piece off the ratchet shaft? [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I've rebuilt several of the Gottlieb roto targets and have found these videos very helpful. There are several in parts from complete disassembly to assembly.

#3922 5 months ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Egg Head cleanup continues…
[quoted image][quoted image]

I like that brass bell. The replacement bells have less tone.

2 months later
#4026 3 months ago

Just finished restoring a1949 Gottlieb Sharpshooter with the old style nickel coin slide that when you push it in, an attached bar pushes the playfield trap ball door open dropping the balls into the trough and the bar also pushes against a bunch of switches that starts the reset. Very cool.

This is also the year when Gottlieb introduced the pop bumper for the first time and there are two on his game with plenty of pop after cleaning up the mechs and polishing the metal rods and rings. The pf and cabinet were in good shape and cleaned up nicely. The coin door was missing most of the paint and needed to be restored.

A lot of the work was inside the game - cleaning up the dirt with grease and sand clogging up the score motor and steppers. Also soldered broken wires and missing contacts on relay switches. Replaced the missing bell on 10K stepper.

For a simpler game it’s a lot of fun to play with strong pop bumpers and flippers. The strategy is to Hit all 9 bumpers and then it resets for another go at hitting and resetting them. Replays are awarded for points and also advancing "Rounds" by nudging the ball over right and left rollovers. At game start the advance unit pop pop pops several times mimicking the sounds of a shooting gallery.

B Before cabinet (resized).jpgB Before cabinet (resized).jpgB Before motor board (resized).jpgB Before motor board (resized).jpgB coin door missing paint (resized).jpgB coin door missing paint (resized).jpgBefore Flipper rod actuators (resized).jpgBefore Flipper rod actuators (resized).jpgBack of slide (resized).jpgBack of slide (resized).jpgdirty score motor (resized).jpgdirty score motor (resized).jpgC new bell installed (resized).jpgC new bell installed (resized).jpgC New bell (resized).jpgC New bell (resized).jpgC refinishing head frame (resized).jpgC refinishing head frame (resized).jpgC cleaned up cabinet (resized).jpgC cleaned up cabinet (resized).jpgunderside sharpshooter clean (resized).jpegunderside sharpshooter clean (resized).jpegInside cabinet after (resized).jpegInside cabinet after (resized).jpegC clean pf (resized).jpgC clean pf (resized).jpgclean pinball game (resized).jpegclean pinball game (resized).jpegSharpshooter final (resized).jpgSharpshooter final (resized).jpgSharpshooter lit (resized).jpegSharpshooter lit (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#4029 3 months ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

hand drawing stencils using scales. started 42 years ago as a survey draftsman back when it was all hand drawn.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Leroy Lettering days

#4034 3 months ago

Wow beautiful work.

1 month later
#4093 52 days ago

Started restoring a very nice 1958 Williams Satellite that was a lucky local find. It will join my Williams Rocket I recently restored and was in far worse shape. Cleaned and shined up all the steppers so they advance smoothly. Took apart the score motor and cleaned it up. Any mech that has a plunger and coil stop I take apart and clean especially the big coil on the Control bank that has to move the big reset arm. Coil stops clean up nicely on the buffer. If the brass coil sleeve is stuck inside a coil I don’t fight it and just clean it up with q-tip and alcohol.

The flipper plunger links were worn with lots of slop so I ordered and installed new plungers and links from Pinball Resource that are the closest to my size so hope they work. The cabinet is in very nice shape and found Pink Stuff product removes the nicotine and brown film without harming paint. Playfield also cleaned up nicely and then waxed. Used evaporust for the cigarette holders and the flipper button metal protection plates. I spray painted coin door with Rustoleum hammered paint an easy fix to restoring the metal doors on Williams games.

Satellite BG (resized).jpgSatellite BG (resized).jpgBefore satellite pf (resized).jpegBefore satellite pf (resized).jpegwaxed pf (resized).jpgwaxed pf (resized).jpg1 Satellite Coin Door Before (resized).jpg1 Satellite Coin Door Before (resized).jpg2  after cabinet (resized).jpg2 after cabinet (resized).jpgBefore score motor (resized).jpgBefore score motor (resized).jpgAfter score motor (resized).jpgAfter score motor (resized).jpgRusty cigarette holder 2 (resized).jpgRusty cigarette holder 2 (resized).jpgpolished cigarette holder on rail (resized).jpgpolished cigarette holder on rail (resized).jpgRusty flipper button plate2 (resized).jpgRusty flipper button plate2 (resized).jpgpolished metal flipper plate (resized).jpgpolished metal flipper plate (resized).jpgafter advance unit (resized).jpgafter advance unit (resized).jpgunder playfield (resized).jpgunder playfield (resized).jpgSatellite flipper replacement (resized).jpegSatellite flipper replacement (resized).jpeg
#4096 52 days ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Have you played it yet? Is it fun? Your work is coming out real nice!

Have not played it yet but other owners tell me it's a great game. I have the Williams Rocket that came out a year later and is super fast and lots of fun.

#4097 52 days ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

That is a really cool looking game.

After the Sputnik satellite launch and the beginning of the space race, Williams was quick to capitalize on all the space news with Satellite in 1958 and then Rocket in 1959 and I agree the art on both is very cool.

1 week later
#4099 45 days ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

EM pinheads would appreciate an early example of Gottlieb stepping into the puck bowler world for 1 game.

Beautiful! Nice work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Baldwinsville, NY
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 51.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Flipsteen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-you-working-on-right-now?tu=Flipsteen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.