20240414_123040 (resized).jpg
20240414_122939 (resized).jpg
20240414_122952 (resized).jpg
20240414_122714 (resized).jpg
20240414_122838 (resized).jpg
20240414_122811 (resized).jpg
20240414_122854 (resized).jpg
IMG_1657 (resized).jpeg
There are 4,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 83.
#3501 10 months ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

yep, these are the ones. i'd say they're both in fair shape and there weren't many pics provided but i took the risk because i'd been looking for one for years and i figured they were gonna go pretty quickly. both playfields are in really nice shape from a wear point of view but unfortunately one has mouse urine stains on the playfield so it's on the backburner for now till i get the other one cleaned up, cab repaint, etc. i expected to see a huge mess of chewed wires and corrosion everywhere when first looking in the cab but evidently the mice didn't get into there and chew everything up, it's actually surprisingly clean. ideally i'd put one of wade's repro playfields in one and replace the stained playfield with the good one for the other machine. last pic is of the other playfield.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Were you indicating that repro replacement playfields for C37 are available ? If so, how good are they, what's the price, are they pre-cleared, and a link please. (I had been under the impression that replacement playfields for EMs were pretty much nonexistent ? Insufficient demand to justify their manufacture.)

#3502 10 months ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Were you indicating that repro replacement playfields for C37 are available ? If so, how good are they, what's the price, are they pre-cleared, and a link please. (I had been under the impression that replacement playfields for EMs were pretty much nonexistent ? Insufficient demand to justify their manufacture.)

no, the only replacement playfields that I’m aware of are Wade Krause’s which are incredibly high quality works of art. he’s done a run of C-37’s so I was mentioning installing one of those would be the ideal situation if one comes up for sale. as for my second C-37 machine, I’ll be selling it at some point.

#3503 10 months ago

Finished repaint of High Hand head and cab. Pedestal was a wreck so I made a new one.

20230525_142038 (resized).jpg20230525_142038 (resized).jpg20230526_171625 (resized).jpg20230526_171625 (resized).jpg20230526_171637 (resized).jpg20230526_171637 (resized).jpg20230601_111524 (resized).jpg20230601_111524 (resized).jpg20230601_111533 (resized).jpg20230601_111533 (resized).jpg

#3504 10 months ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

The slog continues. I replaced the back and bottom of the lower cabinet and made new trim around the head on my Space Mission. Unfortunately I’m going to have to chemically strip the paint off the cabinet because someone attempted a repaint with latex over the original paint, and sanding it just gums up the sanding pad. The good news was that the kick plate on the bottom of the cabinet cleaned up nicely and looks good.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What a mess. Used Citrus Strip to get all the layers of paint off and sanded the cabinet down. Ready for primer and then more filling of dents and divots.

IMG_4577 (resized).jpegIMG_4577 (resized).jpegIMG_4576 (resized).jpegIMG_4576 (resized).jpeg
#3505 10 months ago

High Hand stripped down, ready for cleaning, touchups and clearing

20230602_153516 (resized).jpg20230602_153516 (resized).jpg

#3506 10 months ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

[quoted image]

That’s a clean High Hand playfield. Normally they show wear.

#3507 10 months ago

Finally finished Space Mission playfield touch-up, now to start on clearcoating.

I’ve listed the paint colors I used on the touch-up paint color thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinside-touch-up-paint-color-thread/page/4#post-7608689

IMG_7360 (resized).jpegIMG_7360 (resized).jpeg
#3508 10 months ago
Quoted from MikeO:

That’s a clean High Hand playfield. Normally they show wear.

Very little wear. Kickout hole is really nice. Just a few minor touchups will be needed.

#3509 10 months ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

no, the only replacement playfields that I’m aware of are Wade Krause’s which are incredibly high quality works of art. he’s done a run of C-37’s so I was mentioning installing one of those would be the ideal situation if one comes up for sale. as for my second C-37 machine, I’ll be selling it at some point.

Thanks. Sounds like that production run was very past tense, so there's no point in trying to get in touch with him ? Was the repro artwork based on high-res scans, or _____ ?

#3510 10 months ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

[quoted image]

One of my favorite Gottliebs from this era. Great to see this one getting some love.

#3511 10 months ago

Just finished refurbishing my Moulin Rouge coin door. Also wet sanded the restored playfield to 2000 grit.

Please follow along on the full restore thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moulin-rouge-em-restore-a-remis-en-etat-un-flipper

PXL_20230525_041532053.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20230525_041532053.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20230531_014707261.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20230531_014707261.MP (resized).jpg

#3512 10 months ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

Thanks. Sounds like that production run was very past tense, so there's no point in trying to get in touch with him ? Was the repro artwork based on high-res scans, or ____ ?

wow, you’ve never heard of Krause’s playfields? he’s pretty much a legend and there’s tons of posts on here about his work. he does all the work himself to include cutting the boards, inserts, silkscreening, etc. they’re done just like the factory ones were but are of even better quality. he uses original playfields as templates for the art. he does limited runs and enough people have to be interested to get a batch done and it may take a year or more for completion as it’s extremely labor intensive. do a search on here and you’ll have plenty of reading material.

#3513 10 months ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Just finished refurbishing my Moulin Rouge coin door. Also wet sanded the restored playfield to 2000 grit.
Please follow along on the full restore thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moulin-rouge-em-restore-a-remis-en-etat-un-flipper
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Let's see how the playfield turned out!

#3514 10 months ago

Recel Criterium 80. Thread in the Hangout.

PXL_20230531_001550341 (resized).jpgPXL_20230531_001550341 (resized).jpgPXL_20230603_164138931 (resized).jpgPXL_20230603_164138931 (resized).jpg
#3515 10 months ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

One of my favorite Gottliebs from this era. Great to see this one getting some love.

It's amazing. The cab and head were total junk and we had to buy replacements. The lightboard outline section is crumbling and I'm going to have to make a new one. The glass was shot. But the playfield was so nice it was worth the money. Even more amazing, it actually played, to a point. These things were rugged. You treat a SS like these were, it wouldn't even boot.

#3516 10 months ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

These things were rugged. You treat a SS like these were, it wouldn't even boot.

Chances are that another 50 yrs from now,
most EMs will still be working (with a little tune up)
but most S/S Electronic games from 80s thru 2020s
will likely not be working (without a major overhaul).

If you put a properly shopped EM from 1973 and a NIB game from 2023
kept both in a controlled environment storage unit for 50 yrs,
which would you bet on, to fire up and play from the get go?

#3517 10 months ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Chances are that another 50 yrs from now,
most EMs will still be working (with a little tune up)
but most S/S Electronic games from 80s thru 2020s
will likely not be working (without a major overhaul).
If you put a properly shopped EM from 1973 and a NIB game from 2023
kept both in a controlled environment storage unit for 50 yrs,
which would you bet on, to fire up and play from the get go?

My Bally Surfers sat for 10 years in my basement without being played.

I plugged it in and started it up. Played like no time had passed.

#3518 10 months ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Nice work on the coin door restoration.

Ouch on the drilled out lock hole. Looks like someone used a 1" drill bit. Where do you even find a 1" drill bit?

A 1/4" bit right down the center, with a little oil lube, will usually do the job.

#3519 10 months ago

I may be restoring a cabinet on a Gottlieb Top Card. Is anyone familiar with what colors are normally used for this game? Obviously white cabinet with blue and red stencils, and from the pictures it looks like black specks. I was looking to spray with my spray gun and was considering using Rust-O-Leum oil base. Is there a specific color white, red and blue?

#3520 10 months ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I may be restoring a cabinet on a Gottlieb Top Card. Is anyone familiar with what colors are normally used for this game? Obviously white cabinet with blue and red stencils, and from the pictures it looks like black specks. I was looking to spray with my spray gun and was considering using Rust-O-Leum oil base. Is there a specific color white, red and blue?

looks like the blue and red stripes go beneath the leg attachment points and that may be a good spot to compare some paint samples to if no one can help with the exact colors.

#3521 10 months ago

Thats a good point. Blue, red and white all extend under the legs. Duh me! Good way to match if no one has prior knowledge. Thanks.

#3522 10 months ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Nice work on the coin door restoration.
Ouch on the drilled out lock hole. Looks like someone used a 1" drill bit. Where do you even find a 1" drill bit?
A 1/4" bit right down the center, with a little oil lube, will usually do the job.

Thankfully the hole is only there because I removed the lock for painting. It is reinstalled now and happy to be in one piece.

#3523 10 months ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Thankfully the hole is only there because I removed the lock for painting. It is reinstalled now and happy to be in one piece.

Yes, but the hole isn't supposed to be round. If the lock fits, and you can tighten it snugly, it shouldn't be a problem for a home use game.

#3524 10 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Yes, but the hole isn't supposed to be round. If the lock fits, and you can tighten it snugly, it shouldn't be a problem for a home use game.

Ahhh. Still learning!

#3525 10 months ago

started on surf champ last weekend. game has been sitting for ages, so will need everything pulled apart and rebuilt.

new pbr order confirmed as sent this morning

though our winter has just started so not as much will get done until it warms up a bit

20230514_181117 (resized).jpg20230514_181117 (resized).jpg20230514_182505 (resized).jpg20230514_182505 (resized).jpg
#3526 10 months ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

started on surf champ last weekend. game has been sitting for ages, so will need everything pulled apart and rebuilt.
new pbr order confirmed as sent this morning
though our winter has just started so not as much will get done until it warms up a bit
[quoted image][quoted image]

Your game looks to have a full playfield mylar. Is that the case? Assuming so, your playfield has survived well. Are you planning to remove it?

#3527 10 months ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Your game looks to have a full playfield mylar. Is that the case? Assuming so, your playfield has survived well. Are you planning to remove it?

yes mike, looks like day one mylar. not going to risk taking it up.

have since cleaned the playfield, also along the edges of the mylar, its hardly noticeable now.

#3528 10 months ago

I just started my Surf Champ and it was an export game to France and also had mylar from day one. The mylar was cut around posts etc just like yours. Was you game orginally an export? The mylar cam off easy and there was no ball track mark in the upper arch. Buffed the playfield and now it looks NOS. Interesting side note, once the mylar was off I used 91% alcohol to remove the glue. The inserts were sunk in and I wanted to level them. The alcohol apparently loosened the glue and I was able to remove all of the inserts with my finger in the matter of a minute. I was not able to budge the inserts prior to the alcohol.

#3529 10 months ago
Quoted from flipit:

I just started my Surf Champ and it was an export game to France and also had mylar from day one. The mylar was cut around posts etc just like yours. Was you game orginally an export? The mylar cam off easy and there was no ball track mark in the upper arch. Buffed the playfield and now it looks NOS. Interesting side note, once the mylar was off I used 91% alcohol to remove the glue. The inserts were sunk in and I wanted to level them. The alcohol apparently loosened the glue and I was able to remove all of the inserts with my finger in the matter of a minute. I was not able to budge the inserts prior to the alcohol.

i'm in australia - the game is stamped 'australia' on the relay board, so looks like it came here new

#3530 10 months ago

Hi Tony, long time! Hope all's well. My Aussie delivered Surfer had different mylar that came off ok, just some very minor paint loss. Cheers, Dave.

IMG_7456 (resized).JPGIMG_7456 (resized).JPGIMG_7461 (resized).JPGIMG_7461 (resized).JPG
#3531 10 months ago

Not an EM but starting a KISS repaint.

So many games have rounded off bottom edges and they look like crap. I've started using a router on the inside edge of the bottom of the cab sides and front and back to remove all the jagged plywood you always find there. Cut 1/4" fill pieces and glue in, then I cut skins to cover the bottom then glue and nail. Gives a solid edge and bottom to the cab and improves the finished look after filling and sanding back the outside edge

20230607_145617 (resized).jpg20230607_145617 (resized).jpg20230607_153525 (resized).jpg20230607_153525 (resized).jpg20230607_145610 (resized).jpg20230607_145610 (resized).jpg20230607_145033 (resized).jpg20230607_145033 (resized).jpg

#3532 10 months ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Not an EM but starting a KISS repaint.
So many games have rounded off bottom edges and they look like crap. I've started using a router on the inside edge of the bottom of the cab sides and front and back to remove all the jagged plywood you always find there. Cut 1/4" fill pieces and glue in, then I cut skins to cover the bottom then glue and nail. Gives a solid edge and bottom to the cab and improves the finished look after filling and sanding back the outside edge
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#3533 10 months ago

Brought home a Target Pool this morning. Teetering on the edge of project and player.

PXL_20230609_144619129.MP~2.jpgPXL_20230609_144619129.MP~2.jpg

Got the initial bugs squashed but not getting any activity on the ball advance lamps even when manually moving the stepper. Schematic on order.

#3534 10 months ago

target pool is a great game, lots of fun!
note that there is a leaf switch "under" the reset bank which can be really tricky to set right if its off as the act of tipping the bank up seems to change it

#3535 10 months ago
Quoted from mark532011:

target pool is a great game, lots of fun!
note that there is a leaf switch "under" the reset bank which can be really tricky to set right if its off as the act of tipping the bank up seems to change it

Thanks for the heads up. I need all the tips I can get on this thing. Ball count unit back to 100%. Next up is the gummed up arrow advance stepper.

#3536 10 months ago

Working on a Gottlieb Volley right now. I did 3 drop target assemblies today. Cleaned, polished, new targets, all new springs. I'm all set with drop targets for awhile.

IMG_4301 (resized).jpgIMG_4301 (resized).jpg
#3537 10 months ago
Quoted from Playdium:

Working on a Gottlieb Volley right now. I did 3 drop target assemblies today. Cleaned, polished, new targets, all new springs. I'm all set with drop targets for awhile.
[quoted image]

Looks great; new DT images will rub off fast on that one (based on experience with PBR repros installed during previous Volley restore; highly recommend you cover with mylar or your favorite clearcoat.

#3538 10 months ago
Quoted from Dono:

Looks great; new DT images will rub off fast on that one (based on experience with PBR repros installed during previous Volley restore; highly recommend you cover with mylar or your favorite clearcoat.

Thanks for the tip. Seeing they are all assembled, I'll get some mylar.

#3539 10 months ago
Quoted from Heretic_9:

There is a repro PF for sale in the seeking PF’s thread if anyone is interested.

#3540 10 months ago

I started the clean up of my Rock-ola Wings (I carried it out to the picnic table to keep the noise down, as the wife was working from home). IMG_1452 (resized).jpegIMG_1452 (resized).jpegIMG_1453 (resized).jpegIMG_1453 (resized).jpegIMG_1465 (resized).jpegIMG_1465 (resized).jpeg

Neat little mech to spin the upper playfield when you lift a ball. Cleaned up perfectly with just some Liquid Wrench and a Scotchbrite pad.

This is the first Rock-ola I’ve worked on, the build quality is fantastic!

#3541 10 months ago

That's really cool! I looked up your game on the IPDB - what a neat idea to spin the wheel.

My garage smells like Liquid Wrench right now as well, thanks to a little kicker/catcher which had been moldering in a barn.

#3542 10 months ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Order from Pinball Resource (845) 473-7114

I ordered a coil from PB Resource, but it didn't change a thing. I'm officially stumped here. The game turns on with lights and all. I reset the game to no avail. I performed the recommended relay "start reset' also to no avail. Nothing seems to work here. does anyone have any additional recommendations? At this point, I am open to witchcraft and home remedies to render this game functional and playable again. I'm at my wit's end, which is a rare spot for me. Alas, I am a newbie to EM Pinball repair and maintenance, so I ought to expect this inevitability and difficult outcome as such a hobbyist who is completely ignorant to the means and methods necessary to the essential tasks required to keep these EM machines going and playable.

#3543 10 months ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

I ordered a coil from PB Resource, but it didn't change a thing. I'm officially stumped here. The game turns on with lights and all. I reset the game to no avail. I performed the recommended relay "start reset' also to no avail. Nothing seems to work here. does anyone have any additional recommendations? At this point, I am open to witchcraft and home remedies to render this game functional and playable again. I'm at my wit's end, which is a rare spot for me. Alas, I am a newbie to EM Pinball repair and maintenance, so I ought to expect this inevitability and difficult outcome as such a hobbyist who is completely ignorant to the means and methods necessary to the essential tasks required to keep these EM machines going and playable.

You may want to start your own thread on this. If you haven't already. That way, people will see your post a little easier.There are some basic things to check if your game. Does not even power up?. Have you reviewed the pinrepair basics ? Check out clay's website, If you haven't already that is definitely the first order of business.
http://pinrepair.com/

#3544 10 months ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

I reset the game to no avail. I performed the recommended relay "start reset' also to no avail.

What's going on with your machine? You drop a coin/push replay button,
and it doesn't fire and reset the game?

#3545 10 months ago

Finished a mini restoration of Travel Time. Cab was just touched up. My partner touched up and cleared the playfield, and I did the rest of the polishing and mechanical stuff. A beautiful game, fun player. Definitely a different game.

20230619_102555 (resized).jpg20230619_102555 (resized).jpg20230619_105259 (resized).jpg20230619_105259 (resized).jpg20230620_104542 (resized).jpg20230620_104542 (resized).jpg20230620_104608 (resized).jpg20230620_104608 (resized).jpg

#3546 10 months ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Finished a mini restoration of Travel Time. Cab was just touched up. My partner touched up and cleared the playfield, and I did the rest of the polishing and mechanical stuff. A beautiful game, fun player. Definitely a different game.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice!

#3547 10 months ago

Love the theme, artwork and coloring on that game. So Attractive!

#3548 10 months ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

I've always felt Old Chicago was the best looking EM made. This one is right there with it.

Add in the unique game play with the clock and it's definitely a good one.

#3549 10 months ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

one of the few that does not have a white base coat

#3550 10 months ago

Nice work on Travel Time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Baldwinsville, NY
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 51.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 83.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-you-working-on-right-now/page/71?hl=flipsteen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.