IMG_20240311_001954 (resized).jpg
IMG_1816 (resized).jpeg
20240316_185049 (resized).jpg
20240316_160131 (resized).jpg
20240316_152119 (resized).jpg
20240316_154657 (resized).jpg
20240313_113916 (resized).jpg
20240313_092443 (resized).jpg

There are 4,107 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 83.
#201 4 years ago

I'm putting the finishing touches on my Space Mission finally after reassembling the playfield, putting on the protector, and cleaning up the glass. Almost to the testing / debugging phase ..

Two questions:
- My spinning target is tilted too far forward at rest. I found a few threads from searching where people describe bending something in the frame to adjust the angle it sits at. Can someone clarify what exactly needs to be adjusted for this? Is it the wire 'axle' that it's spinning on? Or the outer metal frame that goes around the spinner?

- What is the best way to straighten / line up score reel digits relative to each other? Mine seem slightly wavy on a couple players. With the way the units lock into place in the backbox, and with the way the reels are screwed into place on the units, it doesn't seem like there is room for adjustment. I cleaned all 16 of them and don't recall anything being adjustable in how the mechanism fits together. Hmm?

I plan to poke around both of these later, and maybe it will become obvious. But if anyone has tips I'll take them!

#202 4 years ago
Quoted from LeChuck:

I'm putting the finishing touches on my Space Mission finally after reassembling the playfield, putting on the protector, and cleaning up the glass. Almost to the testing / debugging phase ..
Two questions:
- My spinning target is tilted too far forward at rest. I found a few threads from searching where people describe bending something in the frame to adjust the angle it sits at. Can someone clarify what exactly needs to be adjusted for this? Is it the wire 'axle' that it's spinning on? Or the outer metal frame that goes around the spinner?
- What is the best way to straighten / line up score reel digits relative to each other? Mine seem slightly wavy on a couple players. With the way the units lock into place in the backbox, and with the way the reels are screwed into place on the units, it doesn't seem like there is room for adjustment. I cleaned all 16 of them and don't recall anything being adjustable in how the mechanism fits together. Hmm?
I plan to poke around both of these later, and maybe it will become obvious. But if anyone has tips I'll take them!

Your score reels might be installed incorrectly. It is possible to screw the reels 1/3 out of phase as the screw holes line up but there is a tiny peg on the hub that lines up with a notch on the reel.

#203 4 years ago

Finishing up another Big Hit. I think this is the best design of the baseball themed Gottlieb wedge heads. Drop targets Galore.

20200114_174223 (resized).jpg20200114_174223 (resized).jpg
#204 4 years ago

Per o-din's request : Magic Circle the Before pix

P9140047 (resized).JPGP9140047 (resized).JPGP9140076 (resized).JPGP9140076 (resized).JPGP9140077 (resized).JPGP9140077 (resized).JPGP9140078 (resized).JPGP9140078 (resized).JPG
#205 4 years ago

Just started a Bally King Rex. It needs a new backglass but the playfield can be saved.

#206 4 years ago

There's a lot going on inside the head of an All-American quarterback!

20200111_131802 (resized).jpg20200111_131802 (resized).jpg20200111_131847 (resized).jpg20200111_131847 (resized).jpg20200111_132022 (resized).jpg20200111_132022 (resized).jpg
#207 4 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

There's a lot going on inside the head of an All-American quarterback!

And that's even way before the concussion protocol days and real helmets.

#208 4 years ago

Finally brought the cabinet home to match up with the head for my 1964 Bally 2 in 1.

1E4271BD-03F4-409C-A97A-59B3644E0965 (resized).jpeg1E4271BD-03F4-409C-A97A-59B3644E0965 (resized).jpeg5D1B66A0-C954-4FDB-8146-44F60A809FD6 (resized).jpeg5D1B66A0-C954-4FDB-8146-44F60A809FD6 (resized).jpegC749AAB7-5AC3-402E-B099-7B04A0FADFA1 (resized).jpegC749AAB7-5AC3-402E-B099-7B04A0FADFA1 (resized).jpeg
#209 4 years ago

Picked up Atlantis on this week’s work trip....did a good wipe down of everything while killing time in the hotel. Will fully shop it when it gets home.

9390BC50-2BA6-4CC5-95EE-D4F1E7229AD5 (resized).jpeg9390BC50-2BA6-4CC5-95EE-D4F1E7229AD5 (resized).jpeg
#210 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:February in the NY snowbelt.
I'd like to come, but the possibility of having to stay for a week makes me a bit apprehensive!

I can think of no better place to spend a week in February in the lee of Lake Ontario than Tim's place...

#211 4 years ago
Quoted from Stoomer:

I can think of no better place to spend a week in February in the lee of Lake Ontario than Tim's place..

Hey Sean. All the machines in the back room are freshened up, and yesterday I done up
Old Chicago, Bow & Arrow, Grand Prix, and the old Handicap shuffle bowler. Today will be
Sound Stage, Joker Poker, Surfer, and the Kick-a-Poo. The February party is on the 22nd
this year. Hope the weather is okay. It's always a plus when you can make it! (T)

#212 4 years ago
Quoted from Stoomer:

I can think of no better place to spend a week in February in the lee of Lake Ontario than Tim's place...

You got a coupla snowmobiles, no? Meet you at your place.

#213 4 years ago

Finally got the Little Chief cabinet rebuilt and the head back on so I can start working on getting the game to play again. On the first try, the scoring motor is turning, unfortunately other than a few bulbs on the playfield GI, not much else is alive. I have a schematic and a voltmeter, let the fun begin!

Leg bolt plates are on their way - the saw horse is going to have to suffice for now.

_6_Fixing_Cabinet1 (resized).jpg_6_Fixing_Cabinet1 (resized).jpg_10_Fixing_Cabinet (resized).jpg_10_Fixing_Cabinet (resized).jpg_11_Head_Finally_On (resized).jpg_11_Head_Finally_On (resized).jpg
#214 4 years ago
Quoted from Peruman:

Finally got the Little Chief cabinet rebuilt and the head back on so I can start working on getting the game to play again. On the first try, the scoring motor is turning, unfortunately other than a few bulbs on the playfield GI, not much else is alive. I have a schematic and a voltmeter, let the fun begin!
Leg bolt plates are on their way - the saw horse is going to have to suffice for now.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Was it just the back that was shot?

#215 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

Was it just the back that was shot?

The back was the worst part. Rotted out from getting wet. Some of the head mount needed to be shored up too. I’ll make it look better once I know the game will work.

#216 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

Finally brought the cabinet home to match up with the head for my 1964 Bally 2 in 1.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Mama's out of town?

#217 4 years ago
20200119_135317 (resized).jpg20200119_135317 (resized).jpg
#218 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

[quoted image]

Looks great, but I hope you did a high resolution scan of it before populating it.

#219 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Looks great, but I hope you did a high resolution scan of it before populating it.

i did and sent you a link?

#220 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

[quoted image]

What's your plan for the cabinet? Cool project! Worthy of a separate thread!

#221 4 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

What's your plan for the cabinet? Cool project! Worthy of a separate thread!

i picked up a nice target alpha at the york show that i will repaint for canada dry
i could do a thread if there was any interest

#222 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

i picked up a nice target alpha at the york show that i will repaint for canada dry

I, for one would be interested in that thread!

#223 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I know there are differences between the various forms of this pin; target alpha, solar city, el dorado and lucky strike. Is the rule set (and mechanical parts) of Canada Dry the same as target alpha?

#224 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

Interested

#225 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I know there are differences between the various forms of this pin; target alpha, solar city, el dorado and lucky strike. Is the rule set (and mechanical parts) of Canada Dry the same as target alpha?

yes they are same. gottlieb just changed the art on target alpha for the canada promotional pin.

#226 4 years ago

Nursed my Sky Jump back to health and got it playing about 98%. Extra bonus is the thematic backglass animation where big chunks of artwork are randomly going into free fall.

19D54982-E728-43D8-9496-E72559F81D75 (resized).jpeg19D54982-E728-43D8-9496-E72559F81D75 (resized).jpeg5788AD41-0B46-4A9C-B9CA-DA1E43BF09DD (resized).jpeg5788AD41-0B46-4A9C-B9CA-DA1E43BF09DD (resized).jpeg
#227 4 years ago

Pleased to report that my Genco Step Up is now working 100%! The residual issues related to a weak spring on the scoring stepper, and a cracked solder on one of the rolleover switches.

This weekend a buddy and I glued in all 16 new inserts, applied waterslide decals, and mylared the inserts. I also flowed new paint into the bumper caps. I may still have to replace a couple as they are really warped, but it’s a good amount of progress in a pretty short window.

I’m down to awaiting a delivery of new bulbs, getting the playfield spotless then waxing it, new playfield glass, and coming up with a coin door.

#228 4 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Pleased to report that my Genco Step Up is now working 100%! The residual issues related to a weak spring on the scoring stepper, and a cracked solder on one of the rolleover switches.
This weekend a buddy and I glued in all 16 new inserts, applied waterslide decals, and mylared the inserts. I also flowed new paint into the bumper caps. I may still have to replace a couple as they are really warped, but it’s a good amount of progress in a pretty short window.
I’m down to awaiting a delivery of new bulbs, getting the playfield spotless then waxing it, new playfield glass, and coming up with a coin door.

drsfmd,

As a restoration newbie, I have a question - how do you reflow paint into the bumper caps? My guess is you are getting the letter and details to pop again? I would love to do the same to the flippers on my Kicker game. The blue lettering is all faded.

Alberto

#229 4 years ago
Quoted from Peruman:

drsfmd,
As a restoration newbie, I have a question - how do you reflow paint into the bumper caps? My guess is you are getting the letter and details to pop again? I would love to do the same to the flippers on my Kicker game. The blue lettering is all faded.
Alberto

Basically, the paint was faded and chipped, but the caps are embossed, so I had hard lines to work with. I bought some .89 off white acrylic paint at Michael’s, and thinned it out a bit. Using a very small brush, I dabbed the paint in, and let it flow to the edges of the embossed area.

I don’t know if that’s the *best* way to do it or not, but it seemed to work well. 8 of the 10 caps could be replaced with new ones if needed (at, I think, $12 each). Two of them are pink, which I have not seen available anywhere.

#230 4 years ago

I have got to confess that I never did bring out some of the EMs out of storage
to work on them like I had promised myself last month.
Blaming it on the weather, too cold and rainy to move games.
But I did turn on my GTB Eye of the Tiger pin today after being dormant for months.
Part of reason I have not played it in a while was cause my wife took over the room it was in and
turned it into her ebay room with tons of stuff laying all over waiting to be listed and sold.
Well today we emptied another bedroom for her to use as her ebay prep room,
so now I have back my EM pinball room.
The good news was that the Eye of the Tiger fired right up and worked like a charm.

#231 4 years ago

Still working on Space Mission testing and cleanup/adjustments. Luckily the game logic seems to work almost 100%, so it's playable now .. there are just some hiccups here and there:

Issues:
- The game randomly advances beyond the number of players you've set. I understand how this is supposed to work and almost have it zeroed in .. just need a few more alligator clip tests.
- Some score digits getting stuck, which breaks the reset process. I was in a little hurry when I cleaned them all before, so just need to do these again more thoroughly.
- Player One 100K relay very intermittently stays on after game reset
- See about getting a little more power to the flippers. Already did a rebuild kit .. so going to adjust EOS gaps again and clean up cruddy button switches.
- Try to reduce flipper buzzing. Most of the time it's distractingly loud .. might be related to the rebuild kit since I had to make new screw holes for the coil stops.

Minor/cosmetic:
- Buy piano wire / welding wire and bend a new guide for the outlane
- Trim playfield protector to fit better in a couple spots
- Adjust dummy zero digits to line up with the rest of the digits
- Repaint spinner
- Buy new backglass from bgresto or CPR. Mine isn't too bad, but a bright new one sure would look fantastic.
- Print up entire new set of instruction/score cards. I bought the ones from Marco but they are too thin (light shines through them) and they don't have the adjustable high score cards .. so you're stuck with the ones they printed on there.

On a side note, I never realized that the score reels on mine are a different font than the ones I see online and in the manual (my digits are more rounded; the others are very square). When I was adjusting the dummy zero digits I saw behind them the original dummy zero stickers with the square font. Not sure how/why those got changed, or what game these came from. Hmm ..

#232 4 years ago

this is a first.. someone tried to re tune the chime box?

20200120_165918 (resized).jpg20200120_165918 (resized).jpg
#233 4 years ago

Just finished this one... might repaint the back box trim to the correct color...

I added some extra switches for scoring... I like it...

jubilee (resized).jpgjubilee (resized).jpg
#234 4 years ago
Quoted from Peruman:

drsfmd,
Alberto

Blue 3M masking tape, exacto knife, a headlight with magnifier (if needed) and patience. Alcohol/ naptha to lightly clean the surface to be painted (think small amounts).

#235 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

They are exactly the same game, but with different graphics. "Solar City" is also exactly the same in a two-player package, with it's own different graphics.

#236 4 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

this is a first.. someone tried to re tune the chime box?[quoted image]

And my guess it just doesn't sound "right".

#237 4 years ago

Picked up a nice looking Cow Poke over the weekend (First Wedge Head!) Some issues but the major one is someone stuck another games rotary target in there, didn't wire it up just left cut wires and left it as is. Ball count isn't counting down but does count up for add a ball, so hopefully that's just a minor fix. And it seems to be missing some of the bells, but the coils are there, just needs some TLC!

Love the bucking bronco kicking the cow boy's butt! At least that part works! ha!

IMG_9552 (002) (resized).jpgIMG_9552 (002) (resized).jpgIMG_9553 (002) (resized).jpgIMG_9553 (002) (resized).jpg
#238 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

And my guess it just doesn't sound "right".

horrible,almost as bad a bally chime box

#239 4 years ago

Wellllll, was down to one project game Gottlieb Baseball wedge head, then Wms Twenty Grand game had just sold to a non-pin collector developed an intermittent - randomly recurring problem I feel is my responsibility and can't seem to fix, then my Space Mission developed a weird intermittent - randomly recurring problem that I can't seem to fix. Sometimes.......

#240 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

Picked up a nice looking Cow Poke over the weekend (First Wedge Head!) Some issues but the major one is someone stuck another games rotary target in there, didn't wire it up just left cut wires and left it as is. Ball count isn't counting down but does count up for add a ball, so hopefully that's just a minor fix. And it seems to be missing some of the bells, but the coils are there, just needs some TLC!
Love the bucking bronco kicking the cow boy's butt! At least that part works! ha![quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats. Such an attractive playfield IMO.

#241 4 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

Picked up a nice looking Cow Poke over the weekend (First Wedge Head!)

A true Gottlieb classic!
Earlier this month, I had a good game on Cowpoke and was able to turn it over.
Like all other 4 digit Gottlieb AABs, not easy to do..

#242 4 years ago

Yesterday I worked on the Bally ABC Tournament Bowler (broken wire on the backside of the Score Motor's
wiper board), And today, I ground out a path over stress cracks on the Ten Strike's maniken.
Tomorrow I'll fill the cracks with Alandin's 3 in 1 rod. Never used it before, but it's similar to brazing, so
shouldn't be bad..

IMG_0028 (resized).JPGIMG_0028 (resized).JPGIMG_0029 (resized).JPGIMG_0029 (resized).JPG
#243 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Yesterday I worked on the Bally ABC Tournament Bowler (broken wire on the backside of the Score Motor's
wiper board), And today, I ground out a path over stress cracks on the Ten Strike's maniken.
Tomorrow I'll fill the cracks with Alandin's 3 in 1 rod. Never used it before, but it's similar to brazing, so
shouldn't be bad..[quoted image][quoted image]

I like your work table!

#244 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I like your work table!

I was having problems keeping the grinding straight while on the work bench, so I used the
Rot-Target's 8 and 6 for an alignment guide. As you may have noticed, it proved to be one
of my better decisions that I had made throughout the years.. haha!
Well actually, after I was through, since DJ was one of the machines with the upper lights
close to directly behind it, I figured maybe it would take a better pic..
Since I'm now aware that the cast is a little meaty, tomorrow I'll grind a little deeper before
filling with the weld. Don't want taking the manikin off turn into a possible annual hobby..
Edit: btw, since I'll have to repaint his paints anyway, what color you think? Anything but pink.
He rolls the ball pretty hard..

#245 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I was having problems keeping the grinding straight while on the work bench, so I used the
Rot-Target's 8 and 6 for an alignment guide. As you may have noticed, it proved to be one
of my better decisions that I had made throughout the years.. haha!
Well actually, after I was through, since DJ was one of the machines with the upper lights
close to directly behind it, I figured maybe it would take a better pic..
Since I'm now aware that the cast is a little meaty, tomorrow I'll grind a little deeper before
filling with the weld. Don't want taking the manikin off turn into a possible annual hobby..
Edit: btw, since I'll have to repaint his paints anyway, what color you think? Anything but pink.
He rolls the ball pretty hard..

I think you should stick with the tan color...if you do change his pants for him, maybe a darker shade will help hide the repairs?

On another note...is the skee-ball game missing? Isn't it supposed to be in the pic of the ball bowler? Not that I ever played it that I remember...lol - just looked like something's missing there...

Sean

#246 4 years ago
Quoted from Stoomer:

I think you should stick with the tan color...if you do change his pants for him, maybe a darker shade

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe even a light brown, but after further inspection, the metal
shaft that slides in the playfield is cracked. I think I'm going to have an eye out for a spare manikin..
The Skee Ball's still in the game room. As you walk in, it sits on the other side of the pool table.
It'll be there to stay. It's one that was at Roseland Amusement Park. A Park that I use to go to when
a kid..

#247 4 years ago

More work on my Fireball. Relay board was filthy and I always replace my fuse holders.

20200119_185002 (resized).jpg20200119_185002 (resized).jpg20200122_225805 (resized).jpg20200122_225805 (resized).jpg20200124_072439 (resized).jpg20200124_072439 (resized).jpg
#248 4 years ago

Just starting on a RoGo in spite of all the haters. This one is in rough shape so it will be a test of skill. I really think I'm getting a buzz off all the nicotine stains on the playfield!

IMG_E3025 (resized).JPGIMG_E3025 (resized).JPG
#249 4 years ago
Quoted from Greybeard:

Just starting on a RoGo in spite of all the haters. This one is in rough shape so it will be a test of skill. I really think I'm getting a buzz off all the nicotine stains on the playfield![quoted image]

We don't hate, we just wonder why!
Just kidding. Best of luck on the restoration.

#250 4 years ago

Another "Gold Strike" in the works.
Just finished up the motor/relay panel.

20200125_145145 (resized).jpg20200125_145145 (resized).jpg20200125_200203 (resized).jpg20200125_200203 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Midlothian, TX
There are 4,107 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 83.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-you-working-on-right-now/page/5?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.