IMG_1657 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1650 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1658 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1656 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1660 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1655 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1858 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_1851 (resized).jpg
There are 4,129 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 83.
#2301 2 years ago

I’m in the middle of cleaning the mech board of a Strato Flite and I want to do the score motor stacks justice.
I cleaned and polished each switch of the index. It took forever…
84579EF0-7903-4301-B65D-9155184C0F42 (resized).jpeg84579EF0-7903-4301-B65D-9155184C0F42 (resized).jpeg
Now I want the whole stack to have that golden mirror with each blade but I’d like to finish it before the world ends.
Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Not sure if there’s something I should soak them in or if it’s just a pain staking task that has no short cut
A6BAC095-BBB1-46EF-B8DF-54930B0671DB (resized).jpegA6BAC095-BBB1-46EF-B8DF-54930B0671DB (resized).jpeg

#2302 2 years ago

Hybrid EM and PM.

1976 Brunswick Pro Block A Shot

CDAB3434-BBFB-42F2-8420-E65BC2B24D2C (resized).jpegCDAB3434-BBFB-42F2-8420-E65BC2B24D2C (resized).jpeg1714F2EF-3ECD-4CBB-9FD6-10A413447FED (resized).jpeg1714F2EF-3ECD-4CBB-9FD6-10A413447FED (resized).jpegC6F6F8D7-F329-4AAD-9E4E-B52012A76F09 (resized).jpegC6F6F8D7-F329-4AAD-9E4E-B52012A76F09 (resized).jpeg
#2303 2 years ago

That game is so cool. Perfect example of simple yet fun.

#2304 2 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

I've seen people practically die laughing while playing that machine.
Even before buzzin'!

#2305 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

That game is so cool. Perfect example of simple yet fun.

It really is. I’m close to finishing the restore besides painting the cabinet. I’ll probably post the info here. I have a thread on KLOV now with all the info/pics.

#2306 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I've seen people practically die laughing while playing that machine.
Even before buzzin'!

Yes it really gets people excited. My son and I get really loud while playing.

#2307 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Now I want the whole stack to have that golden mirror with each blade but I’d like to finish it before the world ends.
Anyone have any tips or suggestions? Not sure if there’s something I should soak them in or if it’s just a pain staking task that has no short cut
[quoted image]

I had a similar question while trying to polish the score reel mechs and plates on my Ice Revue resto ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-restore-of-an-ice-revue ) the answer I got back was: "Try soaking these parts in CLR for about 1/2 hour, then follow up with hot water and a soap pad. After they're dry, a little Mother's Polish, had they look like new. Works for me. "

So I have some Calcium Lime and Rust remover on order. It looks promising!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U0GIKQU

#2308 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I had a similar question while trying to polish the score reel mechs and plates on my Ice Revue resto ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-restore-of-an-ice-revue ) the answer I got back was: "Try soaking these parts in CLR for about 1/2 hour, then follow up with hot water and a soap pad. After they're dry, a little Mother's Polish, had they look like new. Works for me. "
So I have some Calcium Lime and Rust remover on order. It looks promising!
amazon.com link »

Ha! That’s exactly what I did. Never dabbled with CLR with pin stuff so maybe I’ll let it soak a little longer. Alright thanks I’ll just chisel through it one stack a day for a while.

#2309 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

T.W. up next.
I'm primarily AAB, but I've heard
good things about this pin..
[quoted image]

Your backglass looks great! This game always seems to have major flaking.

#2310 2 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

Hey, I have one of these down in Brattleboro! There’s one at pastime in Manchester as well. Funny, seems like a relatively rare game and yet there’s at-least three of them here in VT.

The game is such a laugh. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone play it without laughing their ass off.

I’d love it if you made a repair thread. I’m going to have to do some work on my score reels. Burnt traces.. It’d be cool to see what work you did.

#2311 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

Your backglass looks great! This game always seems to have major flaking.

Yes, the original glass had paint loss. Quite a few years back, I made a good size package trading deal
with a fellow collector involving multiple machines with part of the deal giving him a project Flying Turns,
Flipper Parade, and a couple other machines that he highly wanted, so giving up the the new repro Trade
Winds glass with the machine was no problem for him. I remember 2 of the machines that I got was Ringer
and a better Majorettes. We were both happy with the trading deal..

#2312 2 years ago
Quoted from BeachPickle:

Hey, I have one of these down in Brattleboro! There’s one at pastime in Manchester as well. Funny, seems like a relatively rare game and yet there’s at-least three of them here in VT.
The game is such a laugh. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone play it without laughing their ass off.
I’d love it if you made a repair thread. I’m going to have to do some work on my score reels. Burnt traces.. It’d be cool to see what work you did.

Right on. Well that’s good enough reason for me to do the thread. Mine was in pretty rough shape when I got it. And besides the cabinet needing a paint job on the sides I’ve got it back in pretty good shape. Played probably 3x dozen games on it without any issue.

I agree it really is a hoot for people when they take the time to play.

#2313 2 years ago

Cleaning up this Team One sample game. AX relay was being a fussy bastard but I'll dial that in once I get it put back together.

TeamOneField (resized).jpgTeamOneField (resized).jpg
#2314 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Cleaning up this Team One sample game. AX relay was being a fussy bastard but I'll dial that in once I get it put back together.
[quoted image]

Looks super clean!

#2315 2 years ago

Finally got my Gottlieb Bronco back together and I knew my luck couldn't last forever. Game played fine when I brought it home. Today when I powered on for the first time, all that came on was the TILT light and coindoor lights. I added a ball to the trough and all the GI lights came on. I dropped a quarter in the right slot and an additional credit registered (already had a few previous credits on the reel). I dropped a quarter into the left slot and the motor began spinning and won't stop.

Game was/is extremely clean and well-kept so I'd think that all switches/reels/etc. are good to begin with, likely it's something I moved or did while cleaning it up. Just no idea where to even start as I'm an EM idiot. All score reels were already at 00000 if that matters. Should I leave this here or start a new topic?

#2316 2 years ago

Working on this Ship Ahoy. Playfield is all stripped and inserts are being glued down.

15A2FB8F-5830-4DA3-92AD-3350FF8D9ABD (resized).jpeg15A2FB8F-5830-4DA3-92AD-3350FF8D9ABD (resized).jpegAD8555DA-118F-400A-8ABE-AF704030A709 (resized).jpegAD8555DA-118F-400A-8ABE-AF704030A709 (resized).jpeg
#2317 2 years ago

Getting closer…

02972771-9F44-4EBA-8C07-61B47BF37B9C (resized).jpeg02972771-9F44-4EBA-8C07-61B47BF37B9C (resized).jpeg

#2318 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Getting closer…

At first glance it thought those banks of stand ups were banks of drops, and I almost dropped my phone.

#2319 2 years ago

Would be nice if they were, and I could do it… but probably shouldn’t.

Probably.

#2320 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Getting closer…
[quoted image]

Zaccaria games are so gorgeous. Supersonic is #1 on my dream list.

Alberto

#2321 2 years ago

Me too. Also would like a Nautilus and a Ski Jump.

#2322 2 years ago

The playfield on Queens Castle is phenomenal. The backglass wins the ugly woman award.

#2323 2 years ago
Quoted from TwinDavid:

The playfield on Queens Castle is phenomenal. The backglass wins the ugly woman award.

Nah. This does! Gottlieb "Dancing Lady".

1641826477810-866937894 (resized).jpg1641826477810-866937894 (resized).jpg
#2324 2 years ago

Working on a Williams Triple Action and I need three of these:

Green Atomic Gear Pop Bumper Cap (resized).jpgGreen Atomic Gear Pop Bumper Cap (resized).jpg
#2325 2 years ago

This. All of these late EM era Gottlieb games (especially the multi players!) were just packed with relays, steppers, target banks and anything else they could stuff under the hood!

20220101_122049 (resized).jpg20220101_122049 (resized).jpg20220101_165148 (resized).jpg20220101_165148 (resized).jpg
#2326 2 years ago

If you crop that it looks like someone walking by her with a bag over their head in shock of her hideousness. Jim Varney, Eric Roberts and Reverend Jim from Taxi with a Lloyd Christmas hairdo in a dress. Yikes.

6B7330B6-7042-45E7-8DB7-215477D20571 (resized).jpeg6B7330B6-7042-45E7-8DB7-215477D20571 (resized).jpeg
#2327 2 years ago

Started tearing into the Wagon Train I picked up last spring after getting it working pretty well. I’ve got the roto target stickers and stuff coming from PBL. Now to take it apart, clean it up and re-assemble in time for the MGC. The biggest battle will be trying to remove the awful tan cabinet paint job that the previous owner though was a good idea!
66282EC1-4F9A-468C-9645-33221A28229A (resized).jpeg66282EC1-4F9A-468C-9645-33221A28229A (resized).jpeg

#2328 2 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Working on a Williams Triple Action and I need three of these:
[quoted image]

OMG! You win!!!

#2329 2 years ago

For those who were interested. Restoration thread - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brunswick-pro-block-a-shot

#2330 2 years ago

T.W. all gone through and playing fine.
A few trial games, then she'll be going
in the line up..
It'll be the last machine I'll be working on for a
while. Time to do a little freshening up on some
of the other machines, and then straightening
out the game room(s)..

IMG_0807 (resized).JPGIMG_0807 (resized).JPG
#2331 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

T.W. all gone through and playing fine.
A few trial games, then she'll be going
in the line up..
It'll be the last machine I'll be working on for a
while. Time to do a little freshening up on some
of the other machines, and then straightening
out the game room(s)..
[quoted image]

Does that mean you didn't actually achieve that score with the glass on?

#2332 2 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Does that mean you didn't actually achieve that score with the glass on?

Haha, the glass was off, but being a pinball player from way back, I am talented
enough to do that pretty much every time even with the glass on. I manually activate
the score relays in the back box..
Now doing it with both the glass and back door on. That I have not yet achieved..

#2333 2 years ago

I am going to try and restore a 1969 Spin-A Card. I have a ton to learn. Going to start slow. First up, the coin door. How do I restore this? Buff? Sand? Re-Plate?, Wax after sanding? Any guidance appreciated.

IMG_0436 (resized).jpegIMG_0436 (resized).jpegIMG_0437 (resized).jpegIMG_0437 (resized).jpeg
#2334 2 years ago
Quoted from tourney9000:

I am going to try and restore a 1969 Spin-A Card. I have a ton to learn. Going to start slow. First up, the coin door. How do I restore this? Buff? Sand? Re-Plate?, Wax after sanding? Any guidance appreciated.
[quoted image][quoted image]

It doesn't look too bad. Take lots of pictures of the components on the inside of the door, then remove everything. Soak the door in a product called "EvapoRust", if you can find it.
Use a large enough container, and enough product to totally submerge the door. Leave it in for several hours, using a small brush to check the rust removal.
The door should come out rust free. Then, rinse it with hot water, and use a soap pad to polish the metal. Go horizontally only on the front (with the grain).
You can reuse the EvapoRust, so get a funnel, and return it to the bottle. If you can't find EvapoRust, you can try CLR, but it might take a little longer to remove the rust.

#2335 2 years ago

There's a little trick to reassembling the door to the hinge if you remove the hinge (four button-head Allen screws). Let me know when you reassemble the door, and I'll clue you in.

#2336 2 years ago

Oh, and be sure to THOROUGHLY dry the door after cleaning it, or it will quickly start to rust again.
I use compressed air, then heat it well with a heat gun or blow dryer. Then use a good metal polish on it like Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. Polish every surface you can reach. You can spray some WD-40 on the inner part of the door to prevent future rusting.

#2337 2 years ago

Thx for the info. One question. The soap pads. Are they the steel wool ones like SOS or Brillo?

#2338 2 years ago
Quoted from tourney9000:

There's a guy on here, from Minnesota (can't remember his name) who showed in a thread how to use white paint and push it back into the gottlieb logo with toothpicks and make it look new.

I purchased new ones for my machines, but that is pricey!

The Evapo-rust route will work, and sooner or later you'll be submerging a lot of metal in it, to get it free of rust. Some folks put it in PVC pipes with legs, and they come out rather fresh. Also, after evaporated-rust, get a small tumbler with walnut shells and spin those small bits in there for a few days! They come out sparkling and lots of rust and dirt is scraped off.

The hinge is a beast--there's a metal bar INSIDE the door and the hinge on the outside. You have to line those up with tender care and put the Allen screws through both. I did 3 doors and became proficient by the last.

Watch out for the coin flap. If you disassemble all that, make sure it can still swing when you re-assemble, or you will be taking it apart again and again.

#2339 2 years ago

Since 'we' are turning this thread into an advice column. My two cents. Leave the door in the evapo overnight! The hinge trick is simply put one allen head button on one end-without the door to hold the backer bracket in place. Line up the other end with the door, get one fastener started on the opposite end from the first. Rotate the door so you can remove the first one. Then line up the rest. Not magic, but a neat trick.

#2340 2 years ago

Do not interpret soap pads to mean 3M scrub pads. 3M scrub pads are abrasive and will scratch the door. Mothers with a blue paper towel will get you polished about as much as you can get. Or a buffing pad with Mothers will also work.

#2341 2 years ago
Quoted from tourney9000:

Thx for the info. One question. The soap pads. Are they the steel wool ones like SOS or Brillo?

Yes. It's amazing what Brillo and very hot water can do. I've made some pretty crusty looking legs look almost new with just a soap pad and hot water. Again, thoroughly dry (use heat) and polish immediately to ward off any incipient rust.

#2342 2 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Leave the door in the evapo overnight!

I like to keep an eye on the progress of parts left in EvapoRust or CLR. If left too long, unplated parts will start to develop a black-ox type of coating which becomes more difficult to remove with the soap pad and water as it gets heavier. EvapoRust makes short work of lightly rusted parts. I really like CLR for
the brass plated stuff and the parts which get that "white fuzz" on them. Sometimes only 20-30 minutes or so in CLR makes these parts look great again.

#2343 2 years ago
Quoted from Gott72:

The hinge is a beast--there's a metal bar INSIDE the door and the hinge on the outside. You have to line those up with tender care and put the Allen screws through both.

You have to know the trick to is as stashyboy described above. This makes reassembling the hinge easy. Also, when reinstalling the door, leave the four button head allen screws only just snug. Then, after screwing the hinge back into the cabinet, close the door, and gently pound the edges with the side of your fist so as to make the door sit flat in the opening. Then, carefully open the door and tighten down the button head screws. Recheck the fit after tightening and repeat the process if needed.

#2344 2 years ago

Thx all. Is this the appropriate thread to ask restoration questions? After the coin door, will be asking questions about cleaning leaf springs, steppers, etc.

#2345 2 years ago
Quoted from tourney9000:

Thx all. Is this the appropriate thread to ask restoration questions? After the coin door, will be asking questions about cleaning leaf springs, steppers, etc.

Leaf springs?

#2346 2 years ago

Am I the only one who gets a game working before spending time on cosmetics and getting the coin door functional?

#2347 2 years ago

great comment underdog. I told you I was a novice

#2348 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I like to keep an eye on the progress of parts left in EvapoRust or CLR. If left too long, unplated parts will start to develop a black-ox type of coating which becomes more difficult to remove with the soap pad and water as it gets heavier. EvapoRust makes short work of lightly rusted parts. I really like CLR for
the brass plated stuff and the parts which get that "white fuzz" on them. Sometimes only 20-30 minutes or so in CLR makes these parts look great again.

Agree that unlike metals will produce that black coating. Since he only mentions the all chrome coin door, my comment stands. Would do the same for only chrome plated legs in the pvc tube. I feel like anyone who has multiple questions *should* start a separate thread, just as I would not want this discussion in for sale threads etc. Yes, EM guys are pretty relaxed, but.....

#2349 2 years ago
Quoted from kangourou:

Bought in 2013, in my storage during 8 years and just finished the restoration to operation of my Drop a Card.
Next step : Paintwork maybe in 8 years !
[quoted image]

That would be a pretty easy cabinet repaint with just masking tape.

#2350 2 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Am I the only one who gets a game working before spending time on cosmetics and getting the coin door functional?

Yes, you are.

ETU0_GyUwAAGaxf (resized).jpgETU0_GyUwAAGaxf (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 51.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,129 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 83.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-you-working-on-right-now/page/47 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.