20240414_123040 (resized).jpg
20240414_122939 (resized).jpg
20240414_122952 (resized).jpg
20240414_122714 (resized).jpg
20240414_122838 (resized).jpg
20240414_122811 (resized).jpg
20240414_122854 (resized).jpg
IMG_1657 (resized).jpeg
There are 4,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 83.
#1601 3 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

Wow! Any chance we could see some more pics?

Not my game. The pic is from the IPDB. Here's one from an 8-ball that shows the actual mech.

image-41 (resized).jpgimage-41 (resized).jpg
#1602 3 years ago

I believe some jukeboxes used that same big coin mech as well.

#1603 3 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

Wow! Any chance we could see some more pics?

I have the AAB version of this game "Top Hand". a few years ago I completely went through it (mechanical restoration). 170 pics in the image gallery

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1966-williams-top-hand-aab-cards-babes-the-old-west

#1604 3 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I believe some jukeboxes used that same big coin mech as well.

Yep, jukes and certain vending machines also used it.

#1605 3 years ago

With one chute, I can't imagine that you AAB guys were happy when the only coin chute on a game you drove your bike 5 miles to play didn't work, resulting in your coin NOT starting a game, but dropping immediately into the coin return.

#1606 3 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

With one chute, I can't imagine that you AAB guys were happy when the only coin chute on a game you drove your bike 5 miles to play didn't work, resulting in your coin NOT starting a game, but dropping immediately into the coin return.

Real simple. You tell the dude with the change apron; "hey this game isn't working". He opens the door, unclogs the coin mech, and we play pinball!
I can't recall it ever being an issue.

#1607 3 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Real simple. You tell the dude with the change apron; "hey this game isn't working". He opens the door, unclogs the coin mech, and we play pinball!
I can't recall it ever being an issue.

Well, where I grew up the owner of the retail store/sub shop/bowling alley/putt-putt/bar, just about any location other than an arcade didn't have the key to any pins on site, so you would hosed; 75% or more of the places I played back then were not arcades; obviously that may be a lot different than where you lived JR.

#1608 3 years ago

Playfiled swapping today with a new Wade Krause Atlantis playfield

IMG_5192 (resized).JPGIMG_5192 (resized).JPG
#1609 3 years ago

Another classic wedgehead finished.

20210215_094554 (resized).jpg20210215_094554 (resized).jpg
#1610 3 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Another classic wedgehead finished.
[quoted image]

Looking great. Gottlieb Wedge Heads are the best!

#1611 3 years ago

Been a slow project with the holidays and that pesky full time job. But finally getting into the home stretch. Hoping to have it done in the next couple of weeks. Already has a new home waiting for it.

IMG_7832 (resized).JPGIMG_7832 (resized).JPGIMG_7833 (resized).JPGIMG_7833 (resized).JPGIMG_7834 (resized).JPGIMG_7834 (resized).JPG
#1612 3 years ago

Working on a Flip a Card for a friend. This came with the shooter lane and top arch coated in shellac or varnish. After I stripped the playfield he sanded the coating off and cleared it. His plan is to clean up the center area of the playfield as well after I'm done.

Surprisingly the mechanics and rest of the game are decent condition other than the varnish and wear abuse it has seen. Something tells me it will play well when I'm done.
IMG_0913 (resized).jpgIMG_0913 (resized).jpg

#1613 3 years ago

I need some help getting a Pro Pool up and running. It was working fine until I took it apart so I could get it out of the room and have carpet installed. When I put it back together, it was no longer starting a game. I made two mistakes when tearing it down and reassembling it, which were leaving a bag that had a couple of solenoids in it inside the cabinet, which fell towards the back of the cabinet when I lifted it, and I tried turning the game on with the plugs in the backbox improperly seated.

A friend of mine has had me check a few things, but unfortunately we haven't been able to diagnose the source of the issue yet. Here's what I know:

Start button doesn't do anything, it doesn't even activate any relays.

There is a broken wire near the start button and I don't know where it's supposed to go, if it's supposed to go anywhere at all. The game has been modified for free play and I don't know if the brown wire is disconnected as part of that mod.

The score motor doesn't spin itself when I manually spin it.

The backbox lights up, the playfield does not, but the tilt light is on so I assume that's why the playfield lights aren't on.

All the fuses that I could find are good (Three near the front of the cabinet, one in the back, and four near the middle of the playfield).

I've been told to look for switches that may have been bent by the bag with solenoids, but nothing stands out to me as noticeably wrong and I have no idea what switches should be normally closed and normally opened.

So that's where I am at the moment. I'm completely new to EMs, but hopefully I can learn about them quickly.
PXL_20210205_012645841 (resized).jpgPXL_20210205_012645841 (resized).jpgPXL_20210205_170721141 (resized).jpgPXL_20210205_170721141 (resized).jpgPXL_20210205_170732199 (resized).jpgPXL_20210205_170732199 (resized).jpg

#1614 3 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I need some help getting a Pro Pool up and running. It was working fine until I took it apart so I could get it out of the room and have carpet installed. When I put it back together, it was no longer starting a game. I made two mistakes when tearing it down and reassembling it, which were leaving a bag that had a couple of solenoids in it inside the cabinet, which fell towards the back of the cabinet when I lifted it, and I tried turning the game on with the plugs in the backbox improperly seated.
A friend of mine has had me check a few things, but unfortunately we haven't been able to diagnose the source of the issue yet. Here's what I know:
Start button doesn't do anything, it doesn't even activate any relays.
There is a broken wire near the start button and I don't know where it's supposed to go, if it's supposed to go anywhere at all. The game has been modified for free play and I don't know if the brown wire is disconnected as part of that mod.
The score motor doesn't spin itself when I manually spin it.
The backbox lights up, the playfield does not, but the tilt light is on so I assume that's why the playfield lights aren't on.
All the fuses that I could find are good (Three near the front of the cabinet, one in the back, and four near the middle of the playfield).
I've been told to look for switches that may have been bent by the bag with solenoids, but nothing stands out to me as noticeably wrong and I have no idea what switches should be normally closed and normally opened.
So that's where I am at the moment. I'm completely new to EMs, but hopefully I can learn about them quickly.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You might want to start a new thread on this.

#1615 3 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I need some help getting a Pro Pool up and running. It was working fine until I took it apart so I could get it out of the room and have carpet installed. When I put it back together, it was no longer starting a game.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yep, I would start a new thread in EM tech forum. Should be able to get lots of help.

#1616 3 years ago

Finished what would be called the motor board for Merry Go Round if the motor wasn't on the playfield itself. The coil for the 30v hold relay is toast but ither than that I cleaned and adjusted the relays and all the switches in the trip bank.

20210217_163032 (resized).jpg20210217_163032 (resized).jpg

#1617 3 years ago

Old Chicago w/CPR playfield; several hours of work left. Not the quickest swap ever, but this playfield is phenomenal... going with a mix of 2 colored posts - teal on bottom/middle, and dyed purple-red posts up top, with teal skirts. Teal posts are from Rocket City Pinball; they have a store page here on pinside... great quality and the owner was super pleasant and quick to get orders fulfilled.

823D9149-2335-4BC9-9088-CD1C168F62D3 (resized).jpeg823D9149-2335-4BC9-9088-CD1C168F62D3 (resized).jpeg8EC3EC3D-DB12-4B2C-A571-27A14F65242A (resized).jpeg8EC3EC3D-DB12-4B2C-A571-27A14F65242A (resized).jpeg
#1618 3 years ago

Last night, I finished shooting the orange stencil for the cabinet side on this Gottlieb 300 that I'm restoring for a customer. Apparently, a moving company dropped the machine off a lift gate. The head was broken into several pieces, and the bottom cabinet had a couple of nasty large scratches and gouges. The top glass also shattered into a million pieces (of course), but amazingly, the backglass survived intact.

Anyway, the customer ordered a full cab rebuild and repaint, along with a full mechanical rebuild and a playfield artwork restoration.

The side stencil for this cab was a bit of a pain for me. I have a stencil cutter that can go up to 12 x 24 inches, so I had to cut the main orange starburst without the three long arms that point towards the back, and then stencil each of those three arms by hand and shoot them separately. But so far, so good. Fortunately, the black stencils don't look to be as complicated.

side red stencil 300 (resized).jpgside red stencil 300 (resized).jpg

- TimMe

#1619 3 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Old Chicago w/CPR playfield; several hours of work left. Not the quickest swap ever, but this playfield is phenomenal... going with a mix of 2 colored posts - teal on bottom/middle, and dyed purple-red posts up top, with teal skirts. Teal posts are from Rocket City Pinball; they have a store page here on pinside... great quality and the owner was super pleasant and quick to get orders fulfilled.[quoted image][quoted image]

WOW. That looks stunning.

#1620 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Finished what would be called the motor board for Merry Go Round if the motor wasn't on the playfield itself.

Nice to see a full mech rebuild on these, it really makes the game operate more smoothly. For what it's worth, I never heard anyone in the industry call these motor boards back in the day. We always called them bottom boards, which would still apply to the Merry Go Round.

- TimMe

#1621 3 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

Nice to see a full mech rebuild on these, it really makes the game operate more smoothly. For what it's worth, I never heard anyone in the industry call these motor boards back in the day. We always called them bottom boards, which would still apply to the Merry Go Round.
- TimMe

LOL. Just like the lightboard in the head is sometimes called an insert.

It's the first game I ever have had with the motor on the playfield. So now I'll follow you and call it the bottom board. I sometimes go back and forth calling it the bottom or motor board.

I do this on just about all my games. The only one I haven't done this with is Grand Prix. It works great and that damned game just intimidates me.

#1622 3 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Teal posts are from Rocket City Pinball; they have a store page here on pinside... great quality and the owner was super pleasant and quick to get orders fulfilled.

They look beautiful -- I'm happy to see them installed and that they're such a great match. And I very much appreciate your positive review!

#1623 3 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Been a slow project with the holidays and that pesky full time job. But finally getting into the home stretch. Hoping to have it done in the next couple of weeks. Already has a new home waiting for it.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at the moving blankets protecting your games and thinking "I gotta get some of those"

Love watching these classic games come back to life!

#1624 3 years ago
Quoted from JudeRussell:

Meanwhile, I'm looking at the moving blankets protecting your games and thinking "I gotta get some of those"

Uline.com

#1625 3 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

They look beautiful -- I'm happy to see them installed and that they're such a great match. And I very much appreciate your positive review!

I used both the short and tall posts; I like that they're not hollow, allowing the pressure on the playfield to be more distributed once screwed in place.

#1626 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

LOL. Just like the lightboard in the head is sometimes called an insert.
It's the first game I ever have had with the motor on the playfield. So now I'll follow you and call it the bottom board. I sometimes go back and forth calling it the bottom or motor board.
I do this on just about all my games. The only one I haven't done this with is Grand Prix. It works great and that damned game just intimidates me.

I like to call it a motherboard. I think its kinda funny.....

#1627 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:So now I'll follow you and call it the bottom board. I sometimes go back and forth calling it the bottom or motor board.

I've always used main relay board vs. head relay board to distinguish them. An old timer that I know calls the relay board in the body the "floorboard" and is quite adamant about that name.

#1628 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I've always used main relay board vs. head relay board to distinguish them. An old timer that I know calls the relay board in the body the "floorboard" and is quite adamant about that name.

Yeah, that makes sense too.

Sometimes we call it the backbox, sometimes the head. I think I use them all interchangeably.

Calling it a relay board would be especially apt on a Bally because Bally games tend to have 524 relays down there. They really loaded them on there. Even my single player Bally has a ton of relays on that board.

This game is very minimal on relays on that board. Took me next to no time to clean those up. Those mag relays are so easy to disassemble compared to AG relays, especially the AG relays that have two stacks with a jumper between the stacks. Those can be a PITA. Nothing quite like an Ax but not a lot of fun.

#1629 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

An old timer that I know calls the relay board in the body the "floorboard" and is quite adamant about that name.

Wow Mike, that is a new one on me! Funny, I wonder if all these different names were regional variations.

#1630 3 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

Wow Mike, that is a new one on me! Funny, I wonder if all these different names were regional variations.

He is a retired aircraft mechanic. So who knows where he got his terminology.

#1631 3 years ago

blackboard from hell

#1632 3 years ago

Ended up picking some up at Harbor Freight because they were (a) local and (b) cheap. Not anything I'd use for serious moving but perfect size and heft to keep me from scratching up or breaking the glass. Now if I can just avoid turning the games into storage surfaces!

#1633 3 years ago

OK, one more cabinet repaint posting on this Gottlieb 300 I'm rebuilding. Today I did the stencils for the head. Here are pics showing first the orange stencil, and then the addition of the black stencil to complete the artwork of the woman bowling. If you look closely at the left-hand pic, you can just barely see some remnants of the original black stencil underneath the new cabinet base coat.

After all of that abstract cabinet art in the 1960s, I really liked it when Gottlieb started putting art on the cabinets in the 1970s that represented the theme of the game. Anyone know who did the stencil artwork for these 70s Gottlieb cabs? I think they're very well done.

orange_and_black (resized).jpgorange_and_black (resized).jpg

The bottom board and head insert for this game are already rebuilt, so next week I start stripping the top of the playfield to do the PF artwork restoration.

- TimMe

#1634 3 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

OK, one more cabinet repaint posting on this Gottlieb 300 I'm rebuilding. Today I did the stencils for the head. Here are pics showing first the orange stencil, and then the addition of the black stencil to complete the artwork of the woman bowling. If you look closely at the left-hand pic, you can just barely see some remnants of the original black stencil underneath the new cabinet base coat.
After all of that abstract cabinet art in the 1960s, I really liked it when Gottlieb started putting art on the cabinets in the 1970s that represented the theme of the game. Anyone know who did the stencil artwork for these 70s Gottlieb cabs? I think they're very well done.
[quoted image]
The bottom board and head insert for this game are already rebuilt, so next week I start stripping the top of the playfield to do the PF artwork restoration.
- TimMe

Gorgeous work, Tim.

#1635 3 years ago

Found another project. My 2nd Hit the Deck

IMG_6465 (resized).jpegIMG_6465 (resized).jpegIMG_6466 (resized).jpegIMG_6466 (resized).jpeg
#1636 3 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

That fake digital art on the score reels! That was so goofy when the game came out, but now I just love that look. John Osborne was always kind of embarrassed that Gottlieb decided to try using that style of score reel on his game. A rare wedgehead that is well worth saving.

- TimMe

#1637 3 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

[quoted image]
- TimMe

Agreed, integrating the theme into the cabinet was a great idea. Not sure about Gottlieb (Gordon Morrison for most from this era), but other companies often used the same artist as the rest of the game. Would love to find a decent Top Score to restore sometime. Let us know how you like the game play when done

#1638 3 years ago

what size lock cam for the front door of 1972 Fan--Tas-Tic and what size for the rear back box plate?

Thanks. Picked up a really nice one that will look good next to the A-Go-Go as they both have the roulette wheel spinner.

#1639 3 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I love that title and hope to own one someday. The card themed Gottlieb games are my favorite.

#1640 3 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

[quoted image]
- TimMe

That looks really great. Nice work, Tim!

#1641 3 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

what size lock cam for the front door of 1972 Fan--Tas-Tic and what size for the rear back box plate?
Thanks. Picked up a really nice one that will look good next to the A-Go-Go as they both have the roulette wheel spinner.

Let me know if you need any parts. I have a parts game. I’ll have to check on the cams when I get home from work. I forget with that game. Don’t hold your breath though. It’s a 16 hour shift.

#1642 3 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

Let me know if you need any parts. I have a parts game. I’ll have to check on the cams when I get home from work. I forget with that game. Don’t hold your breath though. It’s a 16 hour shift.

16 hour? What line of work?

#1643 3 years ago

In the process of bringing this 1973 Duck Hunt rifle game back to life. Found a new coin door but it was missing the slam switch and both coin chutes and a small bracket that the coin switch mounts too. I posted over in the EM seeking parts thread but got no hits. Definitely need to locate all those parts especially the slam switch. Just got the 3 sound boards back from Chris Hibler he swapped out all the old capacitors on them and they are good as new now. In the process of sanding down the stock now and getting it refinished. As soon as I finish the gun rebuild I will be tearing into the score reels. Still a long way to go but so far it's been a fun project.

20200424_144151 (resized).jpg20200424_144151 (resized).jpg20201102_142720 (resized).jpg20201102_142720 (resized).jpg20201105_143848 (resized).jpg20201105_143848 (resized).jpg20201107_154717 (resized).jpg20201107_154717 (resized).jpg
#1644 3 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

In the process of bringing this 1973 Duck Hunt rifle game back to life. Found a new coin door but it was missing the slam switch and both coin chutes and a small bracket that the coin switch mounts too. I posted over in the EM seeking parts thread but got no hits. Definitely need to locate all those parts especially the slam switch. Just got the 3 sound boards back from Chris Hibler he swapped out all the old capacitors on them and they are good as new now. In the process of sanding down the stock now and getting it refinished. As soon as I finish the gun rebuild I will be tearing into the score reels. Still a long way to go but so far it's been a fun project.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That formica top surface looks bad. That stain permanent......At least it's a simple color to match. Good luck. Midway shooters are worth the effort.

#1645 3 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

That formica top surface looks bad. That stain permanent......At least it's a simple color to match. Good luck. Midway shooters are worth the effort.

Yeah the formica's definitely worn from people's elbows. Being as though it is black it will be easy to match as you said.

#1646 3 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Yeah the formica's definitely worn from people's elbows. Being as though it is black it will be easy to match as you said.

I'm a lefty, it looks brand new to me!

#1647 3 years ago
Quoted from TimMe:

That fake digital art on the score reels! That was so goofy when the game came out, but now I just love that look. John Osborne was always kind of embarrassed that Gottlieb decided to try using that style of score reel on his game. A rare wedgehead that is well worth saving.
- TimMe

I’m missing those reels on my neptune.
Mine has come a long way from how it looked when I got it. Wedge head woodwork repair, playfield swap, backglass swap, new shooter bezel, etc.

Congrats bicyclenut !

Dave

#1648 3 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

I’m missing those reels on my neptune.
Mine has come a long way from how it looked when I got it. Wedge head woodwork repair, playfield swap, backglass swap, new shooter bezel, etc.
Congrats bicyclenut !
Dave

I remember someone picking up a game with the Neptune reels in it a short time back. I wish I remember what game it was and when so you could hunt them down for them and trade. I just remember it looking really odd.

#1649 3 years ago
Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

playfield swap

I'm currently looking for a better playfield. Maybe I could get enough of us together and have Wade Krause make reproduction playfields.

#1650 3 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Agreed, integrating the theme into the cabinet was a great idea. Not sure about Gottlieb (Gordon Morrison for most from this era)

I think you're right, now that you mention it I do remember hearing that the artist who did the PF and backglass art on the Gottlieb games would also do the light shields and the cabinet stencils.

Once in a rare while I think a second artist would help out. On Bank-A-Ball (1965) I could swear that Art Stenholm did the light shields. The PF and backglass are definitely Roy Parker, but those shields don't look anything like Parker's style to my eye, they look like Stenholm's work.

- TimMe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 51.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Nashua, NH
$ 22.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 83.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-you-working-on-right-now/page/33?hl=dcrand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.