8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 1,098 posts
  • 169 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by Playdium
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 857 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200808_091329 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8735 (resized).jpg
    20200807_205035_resized (resized).jpg
    IMG_1506 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1515 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1517 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1470 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20200806_221320458 (resized).jpg
    20200806_201610.jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    1D86D407-1A89-4498-804E-6ACBD2CB13D5 (resized).jpeg
    3AB6A552-D325-4DE4-B811-A5A494500FB2 (resized).jpeg
    8A1624A3-8C4A-40B8-959B-0ED5C1894064 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg

There are 1098 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 22.
    #1051 16 days ago

Spooksville is done!

20200722_153203 (resized).jpg20200722_144908 (resized).jpg20200117_211932 (resized).jpg
    #1052 15 days ago

Getting ready to smooth down the front of the lightbox insert with sandpaper so it won't scratch the backglass when I slide it back in.

I had to use clamps, glue and wood putty to repair the shadowbox part of insert insert back onto the board because it had broken into pieces.

116098467_312271036593907_97118792248220217_n (resized).jpg115718664_718975342276090_1597011406124727475_n (resized).jpg
    #1053 15 days ago

Williams Wild Card. Last Williams EM single player? Covid restore, I should have gotten to this about 3 years ago. Magic Erasure and keylines, new posts and buff anything metal. Bottom side clean and test, plus tons of coil sleeves. Coin door completely stripped by operator before being sold off route. I’ll wire up lights for the coin entry plates. Before photos.

5DEDDC40-0379-4424-A2BB-FC42E3441C7D (resized).jpegEA380DB2-0A5E-4D34-8218-8CCABDB6E2CC (resized).jpegEA5D3EF5-9A9D-4137-9147-A25B725D0FDC (resized).jpeg
    #1054 11 days ago

So I picked this Solar City up which should clean up nice. The rest of the cabinet is nice except for a few scuffs on the front. Someone painted the face trim of the head black. I’m debating whether to leave it or try and fix it. Thoughts?

FDE0F7B0-C77D-4242-B97D-3A0EE6B5B037 (resized).jpegE956C209-3D91-4AAF-A60B-F14D2B5AE170 (resized).jpeg

#1055 11 days ago
    Quoted from wayinla:

I tried to get Naphtha in Los Angeles but was told it is not allowed for sale in California. Is it the same for Nevada?

Interestingly, and you didn't hear this from me, lol. If you order on line, they will ship naptha right to your address - even in California. Although I personally would never do such a thing.

#1056 10 days ago

I did a bit of cleanup and repainting on my Grand Prix. I'm getting ready to do a repaint on the cab but I wanted to do a bit of work on the playfield first. The upper arch was all scarred up and the lower apron wasn't in good shape. The middle arch was dull as were the bars up there.

I had a decal I got from Pinball Rescue back before PPS shut them off on Williams stuff but it didn't match the original on this game. The upper arch was always the deep blue but the lower was white. I thought why not paint them the same and use the decal I had which was all white and red? So I gave it a shot.

There's still some fogging from the adhesive but it is clearing out well. I think it came out pretty good and adds some color to the game. This playfield is really nice. I redid all the keylines on the inserts while I was at it. Polished all the metal parts and it's back together and playing well. I re-rubbered it while I was at it.

GP1 (resized).jpgGP2 (resized).jpg

#1057 9 days ago

Lots of new stuff from PBR. Pops, targets, flippers, lane guides. Too bad they were out of the posts I need. Still need to decide what to do about the less than steller paint job on the cab.

15961304599681428246209 (resized).jpg
    #1058 8 days ago

Redo the cab. A playfield like that deserves a good cabinet. It s beautiful

#1059 7 days ago

Well it's August and Kings and Queens still isn't done. Today I make a push and get the pop bumpers and flippers rebuilt.

IMG_5927 (resized).JPG
    #1060 5 days ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Well it's August and Kings and Queens still isn't done. Today I make a push and get the pop bumpers and flippers rebuilt.
    [quoted image]

Feel your pain. Game I should have had done in May.........

#1061 5 days ago

Working on everyone's favourite game.... Gay 90's ! I got this one for $50 when I first got into the hobby. The playfield has a lot of paint loss, I'm doing a total repaint. In the meantime I've started repainting the cabinet, trying my new Iwata LPH-80 spray gun and using latex paint for the base. Seems to work well, I think I used about 400ml of paint for the head and cabinet (about half my quart can). More friendly to use than rattle can. I matched the colour under the side rail using the Nix colour scanner. Next up is silver splatter which I'll do with an airbrush. Then stencils using MDF stencils I had cut with sculpteo.com as my local library makerspace is closed...

Here's a sample of some playfield redraw for cutting stencils on the Silhouette Cameo:

pasted_image (resized).png

#1062 5 days ago

Have to stop playing on the RF because the playfield just keeps getting more torn up everyday. New balls didn’t help.

I’m going to have to decide between some sort of playfield protector or clear coat it. Question should I touch up playfield paint first or not? The pics are the worst parts. Thanks.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #1063 5 days ago
    Quoted from tyking:

Have to stop playing on the RF because the playfield just keeps getting more torn up everyday. New balls didn’t help.
    I’m going to have to decide between some sort of playfield protector or clear coat it. Question should I touch up playfield paint first or not? The pics are the worst parts. Thanks.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Have you cleaned the playfield and waxed it? Probably a dumb question but I wanted to make sure.

#1064 5 days ago

Yeh in this order I (1) took a few disinfectant wipes to it; (2) rubbed it with a magic eraser doused in denatured alcohol and a magic eraser; (3) polished it with the cleaner wax. After that I started playing it and the wood was starting to show, and then I rewaxed it but it did not seem to slow down the wearing down.

#1065 5 days ago
    Quoted from tyking:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from tyking:

Yeh in this order I (1) took a few disinfectant wipes to it; (2) rubbed it with a magic eraser doused in denatured alcohol and a magic eraser; (3) polished it with the cleaner wax. After that I started playing it and the wood was starting to show, and then I rewaxed it but it did not seem to slow down the wearing down.

I would definitely touch up the playfield. I did on my Royal Flush and got good results. I shared my paint mixes and photos on the Pinside touch-up paint color thread, post #54:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinside-touch-up-paint-color-thread/page/2#post-5651331

#1066 5 days ago
    Quoted from tyking:

I wouldn't use a cleaner wax. I also never never never, no matter how many people on this site say it is ok, use magic eraser and alcohol on an old em play field. The chance of damage for the additional cleaning, just isn't worth it to me. Personally use naptha, Novus 2 - carefully with a micro fiber cloth, and carnuba wax. I use Meguiars, but there are a number of good choices. As for touch up painting, when done carefully with good color matches can really bring the play field back to life. Looks like on this game, you might also want to level at least some of the inserts. A number of threads on Pinside with tips for doing that work. Good luck.

#1067 5 days ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

I would definitely touch up the playfield. I did on my Royal Flush and got good results. I shared my paint mixes and photos on the Pinside touch-up paint color thread, post #54:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinside-touch-up-paint-color-thread/page/2#post-5651331

Why have I not seen this thread before. Do a fair amount of touch up, will visit this thread regularly. One question, noticed you broke down mixes to 6 parts this color, 3 parts that color. My mixing is much more ad hoc little of this little of that, so can never duplicate a color which is dumb. What do you use to get precise measurements?

#1068 5 days ago

Silver splatter and a restamped serial number (stamped on top of original with 1/4" number stamps, guess they didn't change the font after all these years).
    image (resized).jpg

Splatter is done with an airbrush at around 10 PSI with the cap removed. Just repeatedly pull the trigger.

#1069 5 days ago

If you want precise measurements when mixing you can use a digital scale.

https://www.goldenpaints.com/mixer gives mixes by weight.

#1070 4 days ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Why have I not seen this thread before. Do a fair amount of touch up, will visit this thread regularly. One question, noticed you broke down mixes to 6 parts this color, 3 parts that color. My mixing is much more ad hoc little of this little of that, so can never duplicate a color which is dumb. What do you use to get precise measurements?

I measure by drops out of the bottle, and it’s generally been fairly consistent for me. For a fuller discussion on the basics of the thread, please read posts #1 and #3 of that thread.

I really hope that thread gains momentum to become a searchable mini-database for touch-up paint colors.

#1071 4 days ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

I wouldn't use a cleaner wax. I also never never never, no matter how many people on this site say it is ok, use magic eraser and alcohol on an old em play field. The chance of damage for the additional cleaning, just isn't worth it to me. Personally use naptha, Novus 2 - carefully with a micro fiber cloth, and carnuba wax. I use Meguiars, but there are a number of good choices. As for touch up painting, when done carefully with good color matches can really bring the play field back to life. Looks like on this game, you might also want to level at least some of the inserts. A number of threads on Pinside with tips for doing that work. Good luck.

yes, LEVEL THE INSERTS, TOUCH UP, THEN CLEAR... with that ball bouncing up and down on a non-flat surface, you're gonna wear that insert bonus area out in no time... plus you used ME to take what original clearcoat was left off of the surface.

#1072 4 days ago
    Quoted from tyking:

Yeh in this order I (1) took a few disinfectant wipes to it; (2) rubbed it with a magic eraser doused in denatured alcohol and a magic eraser; (3) polished it with the cleaner wax

A lot to be learned from here..

(1) disinfectant wipes are likely water based, which is a major NO on a playfield, as it will get in the grain of the wood and cause it to plank and destabilize the paint. (2) magic eraser will remove whatever is left of the 40+ year old clear coat/ lacquer, not to mention the % of the denatured alcohol may have included lots of water, which was rubbed into the play field. (3) cleaner wax has abrasives in it, turning even brand new balls into rolling sandpaper.

You need to get the cleaner wax off before you do anything else. Naphtha works great for removing wax, and also works as a safe way to clean your playfield( as long as you aren’t smoking while you use it) .

Might as well touch it up a little before you protect it. A playfield protector will be the easiest solution. Make sure to do your homework if you decide to clear.

#1073 4 days ago

My first EM. Have no idea what I’m doing!

8A1624A3-8C4A-40B8-959B-0ED5C1894064 (resized).jpeg
    #1074 4 days ago
    Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

My first EM. Have no idea what I’m doing! [quoted image]

Welcome

#1075 4 days ago

You found the right spot, and this thread is great proof of that

#1076 3 days ago

My first EM. Have no idea what I’m doing! [quoted image]</blockquote

I know what you’re doing. You’re finally starting a collection.

#1077 3 days ago

I'll be starting work on my newly acquired Jungle Queen this week. First Gottlieb EM. Love this game, so I'm eager to get her up and going.

#1078 3 days ago
    Quoted from treborlicec:

I'll be starting work on my newly acquired Jungle Queen this week. First Gottlieb EM. Love this game, so I'm eager to get her up and going.

Agreed, a great one right there, congratulations!

#1079 3 days ago

Starting the repaint of a Domino. First time I’m doing a repaint.

Updated with the after photo

Alberto

3AB6A552-D325-4DE4-B811-A5A494500FB2 (resized).jpeg

1D86D407-1A89-4498-804E-6ACBD2CB13D5 (resized).jpeg
    #1080 2 days ago

Getting ready to paint using laser cut stencils

image (resized).jpg
    #1081 2 days ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Getting ready to paint using laser cut stencils[quoted image]

Those are awesome! Much better than the paper stencils and tape I’m using.

Where did you get those made and what material are you using?

The Domino I’m painting is all straight lines, I would not try it if it had any curves

#1082 2 days ago

Soft edge detail. These are 1/8” MDF. I scan the cabinet with the HP 4670 then vectorize in Inkscape. These were cut by sculpteo.com but you may have cheaper options shipping wise in the US. Flip them over to do the other side.

Usually I cut them for free at my library’s Makerspace but it’s not open now.

image (resized).jpg

#1083 1 day ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Soft edge detail. These are 1/8” MDF. I scan the cabinet with the HP 4670 then vectorize in Inkscape. These were cut by sculpteo.com but you may have cheaper options shipping wise in the US. Flip them over to do the other side.
    Usually I cut them for free at my library’s Makerspace but it’s not open now.
    [quoted image]

2mm MDF? How much $ to cut full set of stencils at sculpteo?

#1084 1 day ago
    Quoted from Dono:

2mm MDF? How much $ to cut full set of stencils at sculpteo?

3mm; it was about $100 but shipping was expensive, about $200US total for 8 stencils

Check ponoko they ship free in the US. Sculpteo did have a larger maximum size

#1085 1 day ago

Just base painted a bally Mata Hari tonignt. #Dono what do you think of the montana white sunflower?

20200806_201610.jpg
    #1086 1 day ago

She's on legs. Cabinet cleaned up, coin door cleaned up. Legs derusted and shined up. Now I gotta go through the steppers and relays systematic Shaggy style.

IMG_20200806_221320458 (resized).jpg
    #1087 1 day ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Just base painted a bally Mata Hari tonignt. #Dono what do you think of the montana white sunflower?
    [quoted image]

That’s crazy you painted while it was hanging from the ceiling?

#1088 20 hours ago

my question is why? right now I'm working on a solar city that was attacked by the dreaded grease monkey. So far I have to fix the game add unit , the player unit and the bonus unit ......all attacked by an idiot grease monkey. Now i'm onto the drop targets and they are just as bad. I have just started in this hobby in January and the two cardinal sins I've learned from you guys is .....Absolutely no contact cleaner and no grease with the exception of only parts recommended by the mfg with a certain type of grease. This is my third EM and I had this problem with a SS unit. The SS unit was owned for 20 years by an auto mechanic, I don't know where this unit came from but you can see what happens when people that don't have any idea how to fix them try to fix them with grease

IMG_1470 (resized).JPGIMG_1506 (resized).JPGIMG_1515 (resized).JPGIMG_1517 (resized).JPG
    #1089 20 hours ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

[quoted image]

I like it! It looks a shade light compared to Molotow Signal Yellow, not necessarily a bad thing... can't wait to see the finished cab!

#1090 19 hours ago
    Quoted from Dono:

I like it! It looks a shade light compared to Molotow Signal Yellow, not necessarily a bad thing... can't wait to see the finished cab!

its probably a little darker, depending on the lighting

20200807_205035_resized (resized).jpg
    #1091 17 hours ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

its probably a little darker, depending on the lighting
    [quoted image]

I don't recognize the spray cans. (Montana???)

#1092 9 hours ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

I don't recognize the spray cans. (Montana???)

yea montana white series, for the record the yellow base is "sunflower", the red is "Chili" and the Black is...

dickblick is a source, bombing science another

https://www.dickblick.com/products/montana-white-spray-paints/

Molotow Belton is another good gloss paint for those of us that dont want to mix paints.

#1093 9 hours ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

my question is why? right now I'm working on a solar city that was attacked by the dreaded grease monkey. So far I have to fix the game add unit , the player unit and the bonus unit ......all attacked by an idiot grease monkey. Now i'm onto the drop targets and they are just as bad. I have just started in this hobby in January and the two cardinal sins I've learned from you guys is .....Absolutely no contact cleaner and no grease with the exception of only parts recommended by the mfg with a certain type of grease. This is my third EM and I had this problem with a SS unit. The SS unit was owned for 20 years by an auto mechanic, I don't know where this unit came from but you can see what happens when people that don't have any idea how to fix them try to fix them with grease
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I feel your pain. I had one where someone oiled every switch and then put grease on almost everything else.

#1094 8 hours ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Dixieland, Grand Tour and Black Hole.
    Bally light sockets suck.
    [quoted image]

Yep, just bit the bullet and changed out my Old Chicago playfield sockets. What a pain, since the ground wire is pinched in to the base of 3/4 and 1/8 height sockets; I ended up changing out the ground braid.

#1095 8 hours ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

yea montana white series, for the record the yellow base is "sunflower", the red is "Chili" and the Black is...
    Molotow Belton is another good gloss paint for those of us that dont want to mix paints.

Looks great!

#1096 7 hours ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

How did your caps work out? Mine get build up shortly after spraying. Using #5 and #6 caps.

IMG_8735 (resized).jpg
    #1097 5 hours ago

yea, I keep a dribble shop towel in one had to constantly wipe the face. I find that if I stop/start often then it builds up worse than a continuous spray. large areas I use the orage inset nozzel, smaller areas the gray insert nozzel
    20200808_091329 (resized).jpg

is that a bab you are doing?

#1098 5 hours ago

Williams World Series

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 39.50
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.00
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 4.00
    Playfield - Decals
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    There are 1098 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 22.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside