20240414_123040 (resized).jpg
20240414_122939 (resized).jpg
20240414_122952 (resized).jpg
20240414_122714 (resized).jpg
20240414_122838 (resized).jpg
20240414_122811 (resized).jpg
20240414_122854 (resized).jpg
IMG_1657 (resized).jpeg
There are 4,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 83.
#651 4 years ago
Quoted from LWB250:

Already found a file for the playfield reels that I need to get printed out on vinyl..[quoted image]

Are you needing the round reels or the plastic cover that goes over the reels? Pinball Rescue makes the playfield reel plastic cover if that’s what you’re looking for.
http://www.pinballrescue.net/Plastics_Klondike.html

#652 4 years ago
Quoted from LWB250:

Just started on the clean up and light restoration of a Williams Klondike. I'm starting a blog about the work and will post a link to it here as soon as I get it set up. Already found a file for the playfield reels that I need to get printed out on vinyl..[quoted image]

This is on Ebay if you need it.
Williams Klondike & Yukon Instruction Manual & Schematic

#653 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-up:

Will do! I was also alerted to apb enterprises. They are actually about 15 min from me and make coils. Since I have a good working example to go off of, maybe it can be recreated as well. E-mail already sent.

I think that is who he used now that you mention their name, it was for the gun recoil; I believe he supplied the required spec's and they custom made it for him.

#654 4 years ago

Just came up from working on my Stern Rawhide.

When you hit the captive ball's target it would still trigger the relay but not everything was closing correctly to advance to the 2nd or 3rd level. Not so bad when 500 or special is lit but hate missing out on that 5,000 shot. So I got that adjusted so your odds of stepping up are almost 100%.

I also had some dirty wipers on my ball count so even though I had it set to 3 balls I was still getting 5 balls per game. Got that fixed too.

The 1000's unit was really sticky on player 2 so sometimes you'd miss out on a couple K every now and then, so I got that fixed.

For future tournament play I also cut the wire on extra ball relay to disable extra ball. Don't worry it's right at the coil lug and easily reversible.

I have a few other minor things to adjust and player 3 and 4 should have their reels cleaned but they don't stick incredibly bad and we usually don't have 3 or 4 player games running here on a regular basis. I think the 3rd player 100,000 light is out but I'm too tired to play around with backglasses this late at night.

#655 4 years ago

Almost finished with this project.

20200407_150020 (resized).jpg20200407_150020 (resized).jpg
#656 4 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Almost finished with this project.[quoted image]

Beautiful! Love it!

#657 4 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

Wow does the whole game look like that?

Pretty much. I was 70 percent leaning to parting it out. But just for kicks plugged it in and it lit up. Start button didn't work, but manually clicked S latch relay and it actually tried to start a game. Of course, then, parting it out felt like killing something alive, so took it on as a restoration. Actually fairly quickly got it to start a game correctly. Have now started on the cosmetic work. Could use a line on new bottom and upper aprons, and back glass. Can't really afford a BG Resto glass for this one and the back glass is marginally usable.

2020-04-03 20.01.24 (resized).jpg2020-04-03 20.01.24 (resized).jpg2020-04-04 07.31.25 (resized).jpg2020-04-04 07.31.25 (resized).jpgIMG_5603[1] (resized).JPGIMG_5603[1] (resized).JPG
#658 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Pretty much. I was 70 percent leaning to parting it out. But just for kicks plugged it in and it lit up. Start button didn't work, but manually clicked S latch relay and it actually tried to start a game. Of course, then, parting it out felt like killing something alive, so took it on as a restoration. Actually fairly quickly got it to start a game correctly. Have now started on the cosmetic work. Could use a line on new bottom and upper aprons, and back glass. Can't really afford a BG Resto glass for this one and the back glass is marginally usable.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You can get a decal from 'down under' and repaint your existing apron.
Good luck!

#659 4 years ago

I bought a 1953 United Leader Shuffle Alley 2 years ago for $50 at an auction. Everything was froze up, wheel contacts corroded, wafer contacts bent out of shape, burned out lights, half the pins missing or cracked, and shorts/broken wires. Been fun working on something I know nothing about. Played a 6 player game to completion the other night. Does anyone else have a United Shuffle Alley?

flyer 1953 (resized).jpgflyer 1953 (resized).jpg
#660 4 years ago
Quoted from BIG_Dave:

I bought a 1953 United Leader Shuffle Alley 2 years ago for $50 at an auction. Everything was froze up, wheel contacts corroded, wafer contacts bent out of shape, burned out lights, half the pins missing or cracked, and shorts/broken wires. Been fun working on something I know nothing about. Played a 6 player game to completion the other night. Does anyone else have a United Shuffle Alley?[quoted image]

Did you say United? Why yes I do - I also have made many videos during it's rebuilding (link below picture)
20191111_204331 (resized).jpg20191111_204331 (resized).jpg
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKBzlsEWMlPKNVRIHPr3cjAtAqjoL4dCK

#661 4 years ago

I have 2 Bally EM games. Old Chicago and Capt. Fantastic. They were both produced in 76, with Capt. coming out first. I have a question about the behavior seeing as they are both late model EMs from Bally, but have different behaviors.

Old Chicago will only put 5 maximum credits on the credit unit. You can keep clicking the coin switch, but no more credits will be added. Capt. Fantastic will let you keep adding credits until the wheel is maxed (I think 25 is max).

If you add a credit, during a game, Capt. Fantastic goes to game over, no matter where in the game you were or what player was up. Old Chicago will accept the credit and play on.

Not sure if this is correct or if one of them is not working right or both?

*I know I can rig free play, but I like to drop coins in my games.

#662 4 years ago

Right before the lockdown I picked up a original owner, HUO Jungle Queen. It was purchased for a husband in early '78 and was never moved from the room it was originally set up in. It is so amazingly clean with zero wear anywhere on the playfield. I'm going through and cleaning all the mechs now. My first EM! So excited.
D.

#663 4 years ago
Quoted from Pedleboy:

Right before the lockdown I picked up a original owner, HUO Jungle Queen. It was purchased for a husband in early '78 and was never moved from the room it was originally set up in. It is so amazingly clean with zero wear anywhere on the playfield. I'm going through and cleaning all the mechs now. My first EM! So excited.
D.

Great game. I'm on the lookout for one, as well. Congrats on finding such a nice one.

#664 4 years ago
Quoted from Pedleboy:

D.

Congrats, and a fun game too!

#665 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Old Chicago will only put 5 maximum credits on the credit unit.

There is probably a pin on the credit wheel that can be removed (unscrewed) and moved to a different spot on the wheel gear shaft to allow more credits to be won or paid, some operators were stingy or afraid of some pinball wizard, raping their games. That pin acts as a stop for more credits, to probably open some switch which disables the credit unit from adding more.

#666 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

There is probably a pin on the credit wheel that can be removed (unscrewed) and moved to a different spot on the wheel gear shaft to allow more credits to be won or paid, some operators were stingy or afraid of some pinball wizard, raping their games. That pin acts as a stop for more credits, to probably open some switch which disables the credit unit from adding more.

Thanks. I'll compare the 2 credit units for that pin position. Sounds like one anomaly solved.

#667 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Nailed it!

#668 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

That was it. Little metal pin can be screwed into one of four options. 5, 10, 15 and 25 credits. Moved that to the 25 option and Old Chicago goes all the way to the end of the credit wheel. One mystery solved.

Thanks.

#669 4 years ago

Where do you guys get your relays? I need to get a couple that are burnt. Thanks!
D.

#670 4 years ago
Quoted from Pedleboy:

Where do you guys get your relays? I need to get a couple that are burnt. Thanks!
D.

Coils?

#671 4 years ago
Quoted from Pedleboy:

D.

Pinball Resource is your best bet. If not Marco Specialties.

Alberto

#672 4 years ago

North Star, repopulating the playfield right now, really looking forward to playing it!!

20200409_040648 (resized).jpg20200409_040648 (resized).jpg
#673 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

If you add a credit, during a game, Capt. Fantastic goes to game over, no matter where in the game you were or what player was up. Old Chicago will accept the credit and play on.

Not sure if this is correct or if one of them is not working right or both?

I think the Capt Fan coin up operation is normal,
but it does differ from game to game (and Mfr to Mfr and era to era)
I have noticed this over the years,
possibly some variants due to an owner/operator hacks
but also maybe how the coin door and adding credits is set up by factory.

I have noticed that prior to a game actually being started by launching a ball onto the PF,
one should be able to add additional coinage to gain more credits and/or
press the replay button to add more players (up to 4max).
But once a game is started with ball launched onto the PF, (and some minimum points scored)
if someone on purpose or accidentally hits the replay button, it can on some games
set the machine into a game over, then start up new game sequence action.
Normally any coins added during a current ongoing game is rejected back to the player thru the coin return chute
because there is a coil activated on the coin door that by default rejects new coinage during game play.

It is a bit weird that Old Chicago, being a Bally and also being from the same era
behaves different that the Capt Fan.

#674 4 years ago

Yes, coils, sorry. I needs some continuous duty coils (A-9736, A-9738, A-9740). Would any of you in the know recommend using a A-16890 with 2 1N4004 diodes to convert to half wave DC?
D.

#675 4 years ago

$50.00 CoVid-19 project. Cleaning it up and getting excited. Said it had electrical issues. Found that problem the wire nut on the plug wire had come undone. Put it back together and turned right on.

F47FC303-17C4-409F-917E-A920814FAC62 (resized).jpegF47FC303-17C4-409F-917E-A920814FAC62 (resized).jpeg4A9CBDE9-B29F-41CB-908F-5D1C95B3EE97 (resized).jpeg4A9CBDE9-B29F-41CB-908F-5D1C95B3EE97 (resized).jpeg
#676 4 years ago

Anyone know what voltage a 22-500 coil runs on? Common coil for the gun recoil on Twin Rifle and Twin Skeet Shoot. Looks to be the same physical size as the J-501 I need for the Davy Crockett games, just don't know if that's 100V coil as well....

#677 4 years ago

Waiting on PBR for flipper bushings, coil sleeves, rubber, new caps, Total restore, about 160 hours in it over last 3+ weeks.
IMG_1643 (resized).JPGIMG_1643 (resized).JPGIMG_1422 (resized).JPGIMG_1422 (resized).JPGIMG_1523 (resized).JPGIMG_1523 (resized).JPG
IMG_1603 (resized).JPGIMG_1603 (resized).JPGIMG_1641 (resized).JPGIMG_1641 (resized).JPGIMG_1620 (resized).JPGIMG_1620 (resized).JPGIMG_1602 (resized).JPGIMG_1602 (resized).JPGIMG_1574 (resized).JPGIMG_1574 (resized).JPGIMG_1595 (resized).JPGIMG_1595 (resized).JPGIMG_1400 (resized).JPGIMG_1400 (resized).JPG
IMG_1549 (resized).JPGIMG_1549 (resized).JPGIMG_1555 (resized).JPGIMG_1555 (resized).JPGIMG_1592 (resized).JPGIMG_1592 (resized).JPGIMG_1600 (resized).JPGIMG_1600 (resized).JPGIMG_1432 (resized).JPGIMG_1432 (resized).JPGIMG_1617 (resized).JPGIMG_1617 (resized).JPGIMG_1638 (resized).JPGIMG_1638 (resized).JPGMQIQ4746 (resized).JPGMQIQ4746 (resized).JPG

IMG_1481 (resized).JPGIMG_1481 (resized).JPGIMG_1479 (resized).JPGIMG_1479 (resized).JPGIMG_1415 (resized).JPGIMG_1415 (resized).JPGIMG_1385 (resized).JPGIMG_1385 (resized).JPGIMG_1386 (resized).JPGIMG_1386 (resized).JPG
#678 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Waiting on PBR for flipper bushings, coil sleeves, rubber, new caps, Total restore, about 160 hours in it over last 3+ weeks.

Great looking cabinet on that pin. The green is so unique.

#679 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Bravo sir! Bravo!

#680 4 years ago

By the way pretty sure Old Chicago came out a couple of months before Capt Fantastic. I worked in a large arcade at the time and I remember opening up the box of a Capt after the arcade closed for the night. Old Chicago had already been their for a while. Mr. Pinball price guide has Old Chicago coming out April of 76 and Capt Fantastic coming out June of 76. Aladdin's Castle (4155) and a early version of Freedom (100) (4980) came in between Old Chicago (7155) and Capt fantastic (15,440). Between April and July maybe into August Bally produced around 32 thousand pinball's. That factory must have been goin full tilt. A side note. Capt Fantastic was my first new in the box pin. After playing the one in the arcade I had to have one. The arcade was called Gizmo's. It was the largest arcade in a shopping mall at the time. A couple of years after Gizmo's opened a arcade somewhere in California took the top spot. All the games Bally made during this time where great.

#681 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

That is one great looking pin. Very impressive,

#682 4 years ago

Very nice. That cabinet needed some major work. Love the photo spread documentation.

Quoted from John_in_NC:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#683 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

You really did a super nice job on this game... you're also a quick restorer... probably would have taken me double that to complete. Game looks incredible!

#684 4 years ago
Quoted from fingersport:

By the way pretty sure Old Chicago came out a couple of months before Capt Fantastic. I worked in a large arcade at the time and I remember opening up the box of a Capt after the arcade closed for the night. Old Chicago had already been their for a while. Mr. Pinball price guide has Old Chicago coming out April of 76 and Capt Fantastic coming out June of 76. Aladdin's Castle (4155) and a early version of Freedom (100) (4980) came in between Old Chicago (7155) and Capt fantastic (15,440). Between April and July maybe into August Bally produced around 32 thousand pinball's. That factory must have been goin full tilt. A side note. Capt Fantastic was my first new in the box pin. After playing the one in the arcade I had to have one. The arcade was called Gizmo's. It was the largest arcade in a shopping mall at the time. A couple of years after Gizmo's opened a arcade somewhere in California took the top spot. All the games Bally made during this time where great.

You are correct. I mixed up the timeline even after double checking IPDB. I wonder if the game ending upon a credit being added was a feature they added or if Capt. is malfunctioning. It also doesn't seem to work when setting the credits per coin correctly either.

Great story about getting NIB Capt. Fantastic. The most produced EM ever.

#685 4 years ago

Playfield touchups mostly done on Rocket. Glad I had enough of the correct paint left to do it. Now I'll let it dry thoroughly, lightly sand it, finish up the black outlines, and then spray it.

This one was easy! Not bad for a 60 year old pinball machine. Darn thing's older than me.
DSCN6775 (resized).JPGDSCN6775 (resized).JPG

#686 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Playfield touchups mostly done on Rocket. Glad I had enough of the correct paint left to do it. Now I'll let it dry thoroughly, lightly sand it, finish up the black outlines, and then spray it.
This one was easy! Not bad for a 60 year old pinball machine. Darn thing's older than me.
[quoted image]

Very nice. What paints are you using?

#687 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Very nice. What paints are you using?

Testor's oil based model paint. And it's all done by hand with the different brushes. I have to do a lot of mixing to get colors and shades that are close. Sometimes better than others. Had a little practice with this stuff when I was young. Takes quite a while to dry before I even consider sanding.
DSCN6777 (resized).JPGDSCN6777 (resized).JPG

#688 4 years ago
Quoted from fingersport:

Cleaning 2 switches on the credit relay and game over relay resolved the issue where adding a credit in game would end it. Woot.

#689 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Tester's oil based model paint. And it's all done by hand with the different brushes. I have to do a lot of mixing to get colors and shades that are close. Sometimes better than others. Had a little practice with this stuff when I was young. Takes quite a while to dry before I even consider sanding.
[quoted image]

Can I ask how come oil and not water based?

#690 4 years ago

Started in on my Gigi. Right now just assessing everything. I did get the artwork traced for stencils.

This one might have set a record for the number of names carved on one side of the cabinet. I think there's five different names on there.

These are all before except I have cleaned up the motor a bit and the ball lift mechanism. One thing for sure, the plywood used in the early 60s was superior to what was used later on.

Does anyone know when Gottlieb quit painting over the striker plate for the front door? I had a Bank A Ball and that was painted also. Saved me ordering a new one from PBR, I'll just clean it up and reinstall and paint with the cab. Pedestal was coming apart, I've reglued that and it's now solid. The backglass was bad, bgresto to the rescue. I haven't received it yet but Steve sent me the finished artwork, going to be beautiful

Fortunately the bumper caps are in good shape. I'll just have to touch up the numbers a bit. You'd go broke with 14 caps on this game. The bumper bodies are all trash but fortunately those a relatively cheap.

I love these old brass plated metal games. They shine up so nicely. You end up with a beautiful interior that unfortunately is rarely seen. 20200403_205445 (resized).jpg20200403_205445 (resized).jpg20200409_195500 (resized).jpg20200409_195500 (resized).jpgGigi motor (resized).jpgGigi motor (resized).jpgGtb-Gigi- (resized).jpgGtb-Gigi- (resized).jpgResized_20190727_102858 (resized).jpegResized_20190727_102858 (resized).jpegResized_20190727_102917 (resized).jpegResized_20190727_102917 (resized).jpegResized_20190727_102932 (resized).jpegResized_20190727_102932 (resized).jpegResized_20200409_211332 (resized).jpegResized_20200409_211332 (resized).jpeg

#691 4 years ago

Looks like you have a pretty nice example to start with I'm sure it will look incredible when done.
In regards to your question about coin door strike plates. Without looking it up, I would say maybe when they switched over to automatic ball lift mechanism? Like 1967?

Quoted from EMsInKC:

Started in on my Gigi. Right now just assessing everything. I did get the artwork traced for stencils.
This one might have set a record for the number of names carved on one side of the cabinet. I think there's five different names on there.
These are all before except I have cleaned up the motor a bit and the ball lift mechanism. One thing for sure, the plywood used in the early 60s was superior to what was used later on.
Does anyone know when Gottlieb quit painting over the striker plate for the front door? I had a Bank A Ball and that was painted also. Saved me ordering a new one from PBR, I'll just clean it up and reinstall and paint with the cab. Pedestal was coming apart, I've reglued that and it's now solid. The backglass was bad, bgresto to the rescue. I haven't received it yet but Steve sent me the finished artwork, going to be beautiful
Fortunately the bumper caps are in good shape. I'll just have to touch up the numbers a bit. You'd go broke with 14 caps on this game. The bumper bodies are all trash but fortunately those a relatively cheap.
I love these old brass plated metal games. They shine up so nicely. You end up with a beautiful interior that unfortunately is rarely seen. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#692 4 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

Very nice restoration. As you may know, it's important to install a simple reinforcement bracket or chain to prevent the backbox animated ball assembly from slipping down.

That slippage, inevitable from normal use, is what causes the plastic balls to crack. It's an easy and essential preventative fix.

#693 4 years ago
Quoted from novaguy:

Can I ask how come oil and not water based?

Well the original was probably oil based, but main reason is it comes in theses handy little jars that I can buy just a few blocks from here. At least I used to be able to.

And a guy known as "The Brush" who works for Herb Silvers showed me this is what he uses. Real nice guy that brush.

#694 4 years ago

Missing Davy Crockett gun recoil coil problem resolved! Andrew from APB was able to remake the coil. I just picked them up this afternoon, installed, and they fit and work perfectly! Love it!

If anyone else is in need of a J-501..... or many others, Andrew is the man.

Now to get the other 3 up and running.....

#695 4 years ago

Clearcoat finally done on Snow Derby.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#696 4 years ago
Quoted from LoPan:

[quoted image]

Assembly...getting there.

0808AB85-09C6-4928-BCC3-54D648516226 (resized).jpeg0808AB85-09C6-4928-BCC3-54D648516226 (resized).jpeg
#697 4 years ago

Just finished debugging and tuning my Bank A Ball restoration.

IMG_1655 (resized).JPGIMG_1655 (resized).JPGIMG_1657 (resized).JPGIMG_1657 (resized).JPGIMG_1658 (resized).JPGIMG_1658 (resized).JPGIMG_1659 (resized).JPGIMG_1659 (resized).JPG
#698 4 years ago

Back together. Time for play testing and tweaking.

20200411_224533 (resized).jpg20200411_224533 (resized).jpg
#699 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Back together. Time for play testing and tweaking.[quoted image]

Lovely! How I miss my Funland!

#700 4 years ago

Started on the old Sure Shot today. One of my favorite EM's to play.

sureshot (resized).JPGsureshot (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Nashua, NH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 51.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 83.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-you-working-on-right-now/page/14?hl=dcrand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.