(Topic ID: 297112)

What are you using to clean contact switches?

By Trance220

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr_nybble.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 2 years ago

I usually use isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip to remove what I suppose is the silver oxide on the contacts. Sometimes the file or flexstone is employed, especially if the contacts are pitted or otherwise not mating well.

And always operate the switch stack to ensure proper opening/closing. The switches should not just touch, but bend a bit when they are closed. Sometimes the amount of travel in the relay or mechanism is small and it is a finicky job to get them properly adjusted.

The joy of an EM is that a single wonky contact can make things not work!

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Also, don't forget to tighten the switch stack if possible before cleaning/adjusting. The bakelite shrinks over the years and these stacks get loose.

Everyone always says this, I've never found it to be the case. Maybe just lucky.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I often get like 4 or 5 turns on the screwdriver!!!
Not every game is like this but it's very common in my experience.

I think you've had a lot more games pass through your hands than me! I'll consider myself lucky and check on my next EM project.

#29 2 years ago

I think the upshot is, I need to get off these DMD machines and work on more EMs! Well I am -- first pitch & bat so I'll pay particular attention to those switch stack screws.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 98.95
Electronics
Penny K Pinball
Electronics

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr_nybble.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-you-using-to-clean-contact-switches?tu=dr_nybble and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.