(Topic ID: 104074)

What are you most proud of "MacGyver-ing"?

By Miguel351

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7401.JPG
IMG_7400.JPG
2014-03-26 17.52.50.jpg
IMG_6433.JPG
IMG_6453.JPG
IMG_6431.JPG
IMG_6435.JPG
1202.jpg
156150-i.jpg
MacGruber.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider miguel351.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

A couple days ago, I was replacing some plastics with new ones and adding the clear protectors to my TZ. In particular, I was working on the slot plastic. A few days prior I found a press-rivet at my local hardware store that was the right diameter and, I thought, the right length. I didn't bother to check the plastic protector beforehand and just assumed it got riveted to the slot plastic. Well, there's a cutout in the protector so you don't have to remove the slot light from the plastic. You just slip it under it and you're good to go. Well, since I was replacing the plastic anyway, but now had too long of a rivet(and they didn't come any shorter in the store), I decided to improvise.

What I ended up doing worked out WAY better than I expected. I found a bag of 1/4" long 4-40 phillips head machine screws at Lowe's and thought, "why can't I just use one of these and fill in the head with solder"? Well, that's exactly what I ended up doing. I filled up the head with solder, sanded it down a little bit to match the contour of a regular rivet, then polished it up to a nice shine. It looks pretty damn convincing. You really have to be looking for it and know what I did to be able to pick it out. Besides, it sits behind the slot light anyway. You won't really ever see it.

What's nice is, now it's completely removable and serviceable in the future without the hardship of trying to remove the rivet without damaging the plastic. I'm sure to someone with ALL the right tools, that isn't normally an issue, but for those of us that don't have all the tools(yet), this was a nifty way to work around a problem without losing the overall look of what's supposed to be there. For me it was a win/win.

I know it sucks to tell this story and not post a picture of the finished product, so I'll take a picture of it when I get home. I have a BAD habit of not taking pictures, especially "before" pictures, when I start working on my machines so I can show the progress of all the work I've done or even how dirty something used to be versus how awesome it looks now.

So...how 'bout you guys? What's been your quick, most inventive, or most creative solution to a pinball problem? What was your favorite piece of pinball MacGyver-ing?

Edit: Here are a couple pics of how it turned out:

IMG_7400.JPGIMG_7400.JPG
Nice and ShinyNice and Shiny

#32 9 years ago

Awesome stories guys! I know we've pretty much all been there, that's why I knew this would be a fun topic. I've added the finished pics to the first post. My idea was more of a "I know this part looks factory, but it's actually made from.......". So, not really a hack if you ask me.

And for the naysayers, you'll have to excuse me if I want to only spend $1.50 and get my machine up and running in twenty minutes while looking factory correct versus spending upwards of $100 or more to get the right parts, machinery, and tools and wait days or more to do it "properly".

Nevermind the fact that if I need to take it apart again, my way is extremely faster, easier, and less destructive.

I fully believe there are such things as "beautiful hacks". That's what I wanted people to share about, and they have.

PS. Does anyone else think MacGyver would make a great theme for a pin?

#35 9 years ago

I added those pics of the way it turned out to my original post. I only mention it because I know if you just click the green number on the thread, it'll just take you to the newest post.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.50
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
$ 9.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider miguel351.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-you-most-proud-of-macgyver-ing?tu=miguel351 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.