View topic image gallery

V8YaK5v.jpg
6Be9iUu.png
AttackFromMarsPlayfieldMiddle.jpg
IMG_2543.jpg
CrissCross.jpg
52.jpg
metallica-playfields.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I've been thinking about inserts a lot lately. I'm working on them for Alien, and it's really an interesting little exercise in typography and iconography. I'm enjoying the focus of it.

I'm an iterater. It's not a real word I don't think, but it should be. I redo, and tweak, and balance, and then go back and take the things I learned from the end back to the beginning. My wife tells me I change things that no one but me will notice. Maybe. But it's just how I find peace with the project. I'm rarely actually done, I just hit a point where it's time to stop.

Inserts are a great place for this kind of process. You want them to all feel a little different, and rule-connected ones be grouped visually, but you also want a consistent feel that binds the whole playfield together. For instance, I'm enjoying exploring the use of negative space. Shadow is a game that does that great with the mode design. It lets you bring forth the text in a great way. I'm really looking forward to what we can do with them with the RGB lights under all the inserts.

Maybe you've thought about this kind of stuff before, maybe not. There's a lot of great pins with boring inserts. We often don't think about them. They can be very utilitarian (especially older pins). But some stand out if you stop and look.

Without getting into it, there's been a lot of talk lately about the kind of inserts people *don't* like. What about sharing some designs that we really love?

Maybe take a few minutes and go look at your collection. Just pay attention to the inserts. See if anything strikes you. It's fun to examine something you're familiar with with a new perspective.

I'll kick it off with a favorite design by Greg Freres, from Scared Stiff.

You don't need to be an art critic, or know Photoshop. Just look at what you like. These inserts are great. So cleverly integrated into the drawings, and each referencing the theme of the associated mode so well. Greg Freres isn't doing the same kind of work now. But when he had the freedom to just draw from his mind he was really doing some classic work.

Or what about Metallica? There's almost no text on the playfield. The inserts are all done with iconography. So rad.

"Jack Fucking Pot!""Jack Fucking Pot!"

#2 8 years ago

I posted this at a horrible time of night probably, so giving it one more chance before deciding that people aren't that fascinated with the topic like I am.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

For something old school, I always thought the lighted snowman head inserts on Criss Cross were great.

CrissCross.jpg

Oh nice. I feel like old school games didn't do a lot of crazy insert ideas, I love that one.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Biv:

I really dig the inserts on The Hobbit.
These new pictures do show them in full beauty.

Agreed, very nice work. Lots of detail and attention given to them. If anyone missed it check it out:

http://files.ctctcdn.com/a938cca2101/14b5a1ea-166d-494c-9d73-832245d84052.pdf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 39.00
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

£ 38.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

£ 49.00
$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 249.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-you-favorite-insert-designs?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.