Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by accidental
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

V8YaK5v.jpg
6Be9iUu.png
AttackFromMarsPlayfieldMiddle.jpg
IMG_2543.jpg
CrissCross.jpg
52.jpg
metallica-playfields.jpg

#1 3 years ago

I've been thinking about inserts a lot lately. I'm working on them for Alien, and it's really an interesting little exercise in typography and iconography. I'm enjoying the focus of it.

I'm an iterater. It's not a real word I don't think, but it should be. I redo, and tweak, and balance, and then go back and take the things I learned from the end back to the beginning. My wife tells me I change things that no one but me will notice. Maybe. But it's just how I find peace with the project. I'm rarely actually done, I just hit a point where it's time to stop.

Inserts are a great place for this kind of process. You want them to all feel a little different, and rule-connected ones be grouped visually, but you also want a consistent feel that binds the whole playfield together. For instance, I'm enjoying exploring the use of negative space. Shadow is a game that does that great with the mode design. It lets you bring forth the text in a great way. I'm really looking forward to what we can do with them with the RGB lights under all the inserts.

Maybe you've thought about this kind of stuff before, maybe not. There's a lot of great pins with boring inserts. We often don't think about them. They can be very utilitarian (especially older pins). But some stand out if you stop and look.

Without getting into it, there's been a lot of talk lately about the kind of inserts people *don't* like. What about sharing some designs that we really love?

Maybe take a few minutes and go look at your collection. Just pay attention to the inserts. See if anything strikes you. It's fun to examine something you're familiar with with a new perspective.

I'll kick it off with a favorite design by Greg Freres, from Scared Stiff.

You don't need to be an art critic, or know Photoshop. Just look at what you like. These inserts are great. So cleverly integrated into the drawings, and each referencing the theme of the associated mode so well. Greg Freres isn't doing the same kind of work now. But when he had the freedom to just draw from his mind he was really doing some classic work.

Or what about Metallica? There's almost no text on the playfield. The inserts are all done with iconography. So rad.

"Jack Fucking Pot!"

#2 3 years ago

I posted this at a horrible time of night probably, so giving it one more chance before deciding that people aren't that fascinated with the topic like I am.

#3 3 years ago

Stern Star Trek... just kidding, those are pretty much the most plain inserts ever.

Personally I really like the inserts in Taxi. Super simple and explain what the player has to do in the easiest way possible, while still being attractive to the eye.

#4 3 years ago

I really like alot of the inserts on Congo.

#5 3 years ago

Anything with some representation or shape of the shot is nice...like the SS inserts you had, or the horses or gems on WOZ. Just text on an insert is boring...if you have to go the text route, make it like IJ (Williams) mode inserts where there is some art too. MUCH cooler.

#6 3 years ago

For something old school, I always thought the lighted snowman head inserts on Criss Cross were great.

CrissCross.jpg

#7 3 years ago

I love the jeweled look of the original inserts from Black Knight...

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

For something old school, I always thought the lighted snowman head inserts on Criss Cross were great.

CrissCross.jpg

Oh nice. I feel like old school games didn't do a lot of crazy insert ideas, I love that one.

#9 3 years ago

When I read the thread title Scared Stiff immediately came to mind. Freres did such an incredible job with that one. I especially like the way that the inserts have strong graphical and colour ties to the areas of the playfield that they refer to. Combined with the callouts the goals are super clear. I really love this game. Not deep but it is the total package — it executes it's goal perfectly. Incidentally, I feel the same way about Dr Dude, another Dennis Nordman and Greg Freres tag-team.

52.jpg

I feel that the artwork on this game has aged better than a lot of System 11s. I like the way almost none of the inserts have text on them, and those that do — the Reflex 1, 2, 3 numbers — are printed in vivid colour they really pop.

This is an early game that uses the now-commonplace 'shot collecting' mechanic (not sure if there is a proper name for it?). There are three shots on the game that each time you make spots one of the inserts associated with the shot. In Dr Dude the inserts are clearly coloured and framed with the visual language of the associated shot.

Compare to the same idea on Doug Watson's AFM artwork which has a much flatter and less interesting playfield artwork that uses basic frames with words on the inserts to communicate its ideas rather Dr Dude's vibrant graphic language. It serves as an interesting comparison because both games employ similar insert layouts. The series of inserts to 'collect' for each shot is totally uninspired in AFM, and the linear stacked progression inserts (Dude 'O' Meter vs Attacked Cities) are similarly uninspired, using only white silhouettes to communicate locale. It could be so much more.

AttackFromMarsPlayfieldMiddle.jpg

Incidentally, Freres drastically improved on AFM with RFM and has some of my absolute favourite playfield artwork on any game. Incredibly vibrant, dynamic, consistent and extremely polished. Great insert work here too — I love the alien faces on the target bank inserts, and the integration of the inserts on the UFO. It is such a shame what Freres has been reduced to putting out at Stern.

IMG_2543.jpg

#10 3 years ago

The WH20 rafts are perfect with the theme.

6Be9iUu.png

CFTBL has top tier inserts.

V8YaK5v.jpg

#11 3 years ago

I really dig the inserts on The Hobbit.
These new pictures do show them in full beauty.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Biv:

I really dig the inserts on The Hobbit.
These new pictures do show them in full beauty.

Agreed, very nice work. Lots of detail and attention given to them. If anyone missed it check it out:

http://files.ctctcdn.com/a938cca2101/14b5a1ea-166d-494c-9d73-832245d84052.pdf

#13 3 years ago

Wow that is awesome. I hadn't seen the Hobbit playfield art since that big kerfuffle around the first reveal. The improvements are night and day better than the original.

#14 3 years ago

Scared Stiff was what I was going to post.

I also like the crime insterts on JD with the different coloured globes for levels.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

I also like the crime insterts on JD with the different coloured globes for levels.

True! I wonder what would be the first game to have colour-changing inserts? Shortly it will become standard (if not already).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Jacob, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monclova, OH
$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
The Flipper Room
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 93.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Altos, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside