(Topic ID: 298494)

What are they worth? 6 digit plasma displays…

By bigguybbr

71 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 70 days ago by snyper2099
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Ali Stern Electronics, 1980
  • Dracula Stern Electronics, 1979
  • Galaxy Stern Electronics, 1980
  • Hot Hand Stern Electronics, 1979
  • Magic Stern Electronics, 1979
  • Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979
  • Trident Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
611D4A9A-D893-47FF-A238-4E969F202742 (resized).jpeg
949C1492-DE10-40F5-9AF5-F986AEEFFD52 (resized).jpeg
9DFEF0A0-4412-44B4-84FB-60E51801505E (resized).jpeg

#1 71 days ago

I have 12 - 6 digit plasma displays that came from my Meteor and Trident restorations. 10 of them I know work, 2 were in the coin box when I got the machine, and assume don’t work. I don’t plan on using them, but would like to put them out there for someone who needs them or would use them in other restorations. Ideally I’d like to sell them as a lot, but have no clue what they go for. Any sage advice would be welcome.

9DFEF0A0-4412-44B4-84FB-60E51801505E (resized).jpeg
#2 71 days ago

Pinitech sells a kit ( or at least used to) to convert those to LED. You no longer would need the high voltage, and there was a variety of. Plots that may interest you.

I don’t have any idea on what to ask - the prices I’ve seen have been all over the place.

#3 71 days ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Pinitech sells a kit ( or at least used to) to convert those to LED. You no longer would need the high voltage, and there was a variety of. Plots that may interest you.
I don’t have any idea on what to ask - the prices I’ve seen have been all over the place.

That’s exactly why I have them. I converted my machines to use LEDs with one pinitech kit and one wolffpac kit.

However, some people prefer to keep their machines original like when they choose to use the old 44 incandescent bulbs rather than use LEDs.
611D4A9A-D893-47FF-A238-4E969F202742 (resized).jpeg949C1492-DE10-40F5-9AF5-F986AEEFFD52 (resized).jpeg

#4 71 days ago

Which kit do you prefer and why? I have a Wolfpack kit, but haven’t had a need yet. Just curious.

#5 71 days ago

You'd have to post better pics of the faces to show if they have burns in them to start... But even then it's a total weird thing. We were just going through a bunch of them the other night and had to pitch over half of them.
Buyer, or you, has to take the chance trying them out in a game and *poof* there goes their high power section of the board

#6 71 days ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

That’s exactly why I have them. I converted my machines to use LEDs with one pinitech kit and one wolffpac kit. I know some people prefer to keep their machines original however like how some prefer to use the old 44 incandescent bulbs rather than use LEDs.
[quoted image][q

Quoted from TheLaw:

You'd have to post better pics of the faces to show if they have burns in them to start... But even then it's a total weird thing. We were just going through a bunch of them the other night and had to pitch over half of them.
Buyer, or you, has to take the chance trying them out in a game and *poof* there goes their high power section of the board
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"1010105f0607db3492be18116eb83c9591a03bda-1628722237-1800"};
//]]>

The high voltage section is fused. It should just pop the fuse if there is a dead short.

image (resized).jpg
#7 71 days ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

The high voltage section is fused. It should just pop the fuse if there is a dead short.

Haha...do yourself a favor and never trust that fuse

#8 71 days ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

[quoted image]

Those three transistors do a great job protecting that fuse!

#9 71 days ago

"3.9.1 Stern Driver Board Revisions
...Revision C is is marked as "Revision C" in the center of the board. A fuse was added for the high voltage section for the displays. However, this fuse was proven to be largely useless, and did not blow if there was a short in the high voltage section's regulation transistors. "

#10 71 days ago

Even if clear and bright, I wouldn't ask any more than $30 each based on age alone. I would also make it crystal clear to the buyer that they come with no warranty (buy a spare) and are no longer made (not available new). Would probably also mention that LED replacements are roughly $50 each and all have to be converted at the same time. Cover all those bases and you're good. I've sold a few over the years and my price has dropped due to age.

#11 71 days ago

also show if they have the tit or flat back

#12 71 days ago

I bought a couple one time that were "good".
The seller put the two of them in a box and shipped them from south carolina to massachusetts.
What he failed to do was add any padding between them.
It was a cage death match inside that box as each person in the chain of stops along the way drop kicked it to the hext shipping hub.
Total waste of money.
Lesson to you: package them well.

#13 71 days ago

Avg $10 a piece $120 for the lot untested if you want them gone…

#14 71 days ago

Working 6-digit displays sell for 50-60 apiece. Displays with burned out bad panels are a dime a dozen. If you displays work I would be interested in acquiring some.

#15 71 days ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Working 6-digit displays sell for 50-60 apiece.

You sure you aren't thinking of 7 digit displays? I saw LOTS of 6 digit ones, working, at Allentown priced between $10 and $20 each... but sadly, no 7 digit ones to be found.

#16 70 days ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Which kit do you prefer and why? I have a Wolfpack kit, but haven’t had a need yet. Just curious.

The Pinitech is great if you don't want to solder, but you are paying for that work being done for you. They also have a nice brightness adjustment so you can dial in the look. I used those on my Meteor.

The Wolffpacs are actually really easy to solder up since it is all through components and work fantastic. They don't have a brightness adjustment, but they are also only half the cost. I used those on my Trident.

#17 70 days ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Working 6-digit displays sell for 50-60 apiece. Displays with burned out bad panels are a dime a dozen. If you displays work I would be interested in acquiring some.

Ive bought some for $40 but generally speaking your "perfect looking" ones ARE actually getting harder to track down.

I would sell one set of 5 (the better looking ones) for 200 and then sell the other "not so perfect" ones individually... FYI, every single one of my machines in my collection has ORIGINAL displays, all working perfect.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside