(Topic ID: 294200)

What are your unwritten rules and courtesy in pinball?

By Bmad21

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Bmad21
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

96AB1EA6-C7AA-488A-9C57-AACDDF6FBCA2 (resized).jpeg
    24346c422b4369d1487647ccce5cf11742a76cf5.jpg
    91D6A20E-5312-47EC-ADC7-B0A90409B6EC (resized).jpeg
    E9BE1FEF-89B2-4F20-B76F-5E851952136F (resized).jpeg
    910E6D82-B400-447C-8F80-26D9FB4731C8 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    RWI6wNy.gif
    AF0CE7BB-81F6-43AA-9A89-83FEA815D509 (resized).jpeg
    FD51B74A-7B87-4BE6-AE9A-11ED89053BE4 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20210529-070534 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bublehead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s hard for this one to take. I don’t play on location nearly as much as I used to, but I’ve only seen this done like once or twice, and all it got was a weird look from the current player. Haha

There was a time when this was really the only "courtesy" rule. Respect the quarter!

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

don’t spill the bong

Inevitably the rule that will be broken at every party... which is why friends don't let friends take bong hits stoned. Which is an ironic paradox wrapped in an enigma, and tied with a existential bow.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

NO double gaming!....
    If you’re playing a 4 player over here, don’t go start playing something else between turns.

This is not a bad thing in our circles. If you are doing it right, there is no problem with double gaming, you just need a double game partner. My brother and I do it all the time when playing at shows. It just requires picking the primary game and switching off when its your turn on the main game. Or if your on the secondary machine and are kicking ass, you pass your turn on to your partner on the primary. Nobody has to wait, but the swap has to happen instantly even if you drain your ball on the secondary game. To the people around you it is no different than me playing the first solo and my brother playing the second solo. Both machines are being played, but by two people at once. This saves a boatload of time when there are literally hundreds of machines to get around to playing... and I don't begrudge anyone else doing this either, but when ball three on the last player is over, you give up the machine if people are waiting. And if people are waiting, I will always ask them to join us if we have an unused player. If they refuse to play multiple players, then thats when I don't mind making them wait, even if we play a couple of games, because they could join us and have fun at any time, then play it solo when we finish, or they can stand there, arms crossed, looking pissed until we finish. If you are one of those people, you have my pity, but not my sympathy.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Or be in the moment and engaged in the game you’re currently playing. Cheer on our friends and enjoy the show they are putting on for you.
    Why not just play by yourself all together if you’re going to double game?

We do this as well, it depends on how many people are in our group and how packed the hall is. We do not hog machines nor do we double game during crowds... we do it when the hall is empty and machines are sitting idle. And we pick secondary machines that people are not clamoring to play. If nobody wants to play a machine, why let it sit idle? These shows are about playing games you don't get to see often, if ever at all. We play pinball first, cheer and spectate second. And we are polite and cordial with anyone who wants to play with us, no matter what their skill level is, or how bad they stink. The biggest reason for doing this is we don't suck at pinball, and I don't know about you, but watching my brother kick the living shit out of a pinball machine for 20 minutes can get boring to a player itching to play his next turn.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah I don’t think your being disrespectful or anything, just saying that playing like that isn’t playing together. Just go your separate ways and meet up later if you’re going to play like that.

But then you don't have ANY cheering section (or more importantly a witness) when you really blow up a game! You would like playing with us, because we will give you shit about playing like it even while we are not watching you play. We keep track of what we hear... if yer bitching, we will let you have it, and then again, when you hear 'jackpot' over and over in the background, you know your own ass is getting fried right now... we have played this way even when paying to play since the 70's. Its kinda built into us now. But mostly we had to do it by need since our gang of pin playing hoodlums was always bigger than 4 players...

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I don’t think that stands to reason unless you’re playing one person games on each machine. It sounds like you’re playing two person games on two machines. If that’s the case, that seems closer timewise to each person being on a single machine playing two games by themselves - a total dick move.

You are playing a double on primary, single player on secondary, not double doubles, and only if the secondary machine is idle. Its all about playing instead of standing idle, not about monopolizing machines.

#55 2 years ago

Ok, you can all do you, we have been doing it this way for 40 years. I'm out.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Bublehead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-the-unwritten-rules-and-courtesy-in-pinball?tu=Bublehead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.