(Topic ID: 294200)

What are your unwritten rules and courtesy in pinball?

By Bmad21

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 97 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Bmad21
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

96AB1EA6-C7AA-488A-9C57-AACDDF6FBCA2 (resized).jpeg
    24346c422b4369d1487647ccce5cf11742a76cf5.jpg
    91D6A20E-5312-47EC-ADC7-B0A90409B6EC (resized).jpeg
    E9BE1FEF-89B2-4F20-B76F-5E851952136F (resized).jpeg
    910E6D82-B400-447C-8F80-26D9FB4731C8 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    RWI6wNy.gif
    AF0CE7BB-81F6-43AA-9A89-83FEA815D509 (resized).jpeg
    FD51B74A-7B87-4BE6-AE9A-11ED89053BE4 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20210529-070534 (resized).png
    There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

To the people around you it is no different than me playing the first solo and my brother playing the second solo.

I don’t think that stands to reason unless you’re playing one person games on each machine. It sounds like you’re playing two person games on two machines. If that’s the case, that seems closer timewise to each person being on a single machine playing two games by themselves - a total dick move.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah I don’t think your being disrespectful or anything, just saying that playing like that isn’t playing together. Just go your separate ways and meet up later if you’re going to play like that.

But then you don't have ANY cheering section (or more importantly a witness) when you really blow up a game! You would like playing with us, because we will give you shit about playing like it even while we are not watching you play. We keep track of what we hear... if yer bitching, we will let you have it, and then again, when you hear 'jackpot' over and over in the background, you know your own ass is getting fried right now... we have played this way even when paying to play since the 70's. Its kinda built into us now. But mostly we had to do it by need since our gang of pin playing hoodlums was always bigger than 4 players...

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

But then you don't have ANY cheering section (or more importantly a witness) when you really blow up a game!

Let’s face it. Your group didn’t want to play together in the first place. They wanted to play as many unique games as possible. That’s fine, just go it alone.

I like actively watching my group and shit talking while they play and shit talking them while I play and best their score while they are watching.

It’s similar to being on your phone while having a conversation with someone. It’s just not best to be doing that.

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I don’t think that stands to reason unless you’re playing one person games on each machine. It sounds like you’re playing two person games on two machines. If that’s the case, that seems closer timewise to each person being on a single machine playing two games by themselves - a total dick move.

You are playing a double on primary, single player on secondary, not double doubles, and only if the secondary machine is idle. Its all about playing instead of standing idle, not about monopolizing machines.

#55 2 years ago

Ok, you can all do you, we have been doing it this way for 40 years. I'm out.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Ok, you can all do you, we have been doing it this way for 40 years. I'm out.

Whether it's double dipping or using paragraphs, nobody is gonna change you. I don't think that's the point it's just a general gripe thread!

My friends don't listen to me either, I just bitch pointlessly. It's kinda like being here! They do know that unattended games are gonna get turned off with extreme prejudice. Nobody listens to me in there anyway

NO DRINKS ON THE FLOOR GODDAMMIT!

#57 2 years ago

It all boils down to don’t be a d-bag. Unfortunately, d-bags are the only ones who don’t know what that means and there’s nothing anyone can do about that.

#58 2 years ago

OK,fans,I haven't heard of "crop dusting" Explanation of this phrase please???

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

#60 2 years ago

If you're at a pinball show, you can play one game, then move on if someone is clearly waiting. You don't get to play a game as long as you want.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~alecshea/itp104/howto.html

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

pull my finger

#63 2 years ago

Never hit the machine-glass when a ball does not go your way or you lose. Not impressive to be able to hit a machine because..

Pinball machines.... don't hit back.

#64 2 years ago

Don't rage tilt in front of your wife. It's not a pretty look.

#65 2 years ago

Don’t point your fingers and hands all over the glass....

#66 2 years ago

Thank-you for the explanation of "crop dusting" as Bart Simpson says"everybody has a accident sometimes"

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

[quoted image]

I agree with this. Why can’t they just be happy? It’s a mystery!

#68 2 years ago

No drinks, food, your fat ass or anything else on the glass. I even have cup holders on every game and people still sit their drinks on the glass of the pin beside it.
    Don't slide the machine hard enough to hit the game next to it. In my case my game heads are only between 1 and 2 inches apart so there is not a lot of room to slide.

#69 2 years ago

I have two:

Thou shall not abuse your brother's game.

Man this one gets me. I have a brother that thinks he's playing for a million dollars or something. He shakes, slaps, bangs, curses, etc. Free play, man...free play. I re-install the tilt bobs when he's coming over, but that usually means he quits after 2 games.

No excessive text/phone detractions.

you missing your squeeze? stay with your squeeze. you're here to play pinball, dude

#70 2 years ago

Don't be a dick pretty much covers all

#71 2 years ago

Pushing or dragging a pinball machine with the legs on the floor.

#72 2 years ago

Only playing one ball and then walking away.

#73 2 years ago

Simultaneously double flipping every flip

#74 2 years ago

Complaining about the outlines are to open.
    Complaining the ball save is was not long enough.

#75 2 years ago

Never tell someone how well they're playing such as " Dude, you're jammin'!"
    A sure drain will quickly follow.
    Hey, if your buddy is in the zone leave him alone.

Also, can't end on a match.
    The machine is being generous don't be rude, play it out.

#76 2 years ago

Don't talk about your work or family issues instead of playing your ball. Just play pinball and forget your troubles.

#77 2 years ago

Man...some of y'all need to lighten up in the game room lmao.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s still used for other bar games like pool, but never see it for pinball.

Had it happen to me once, and even though I'm familiar with the tradition, it's just as easy to say "hey, can I get the next game?"

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Had it happen to me once, and even though I'm familiar with the tradition, it's just as easy to say "hey, can I get the next game?"

always respect the quarter especially in a biker bar,enough said

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

NO double gaming!....
    If you’re playing a 4 player over here, don’t go start playing something else between turns.

There was an event at a popular location around here - pay a set fee, and all the games were on free play - picture around 30ish people, 10-12 games, and this group of 4 people had 4-player games going on 4 machines pretty much the entire time. Pretty damn rude.

#81 2 years ago

Don't offer to buy my game at the stated price, send a deposit to hold it and then try to get a lower price after driving across several states to pick it up when it was exactly as described. You played it, loved it and now expect to pay less? Why would I discount it rather then sell to next willing buyer in line and send you home hundreds of miles? Yes this happened to me.

#82 2 years ago

Try and squeeze it quietly when there's a line behind you playing at a expo!

#83 2 years ago

If I don't own it, I try not to tilt it. I don't know why I feel that way but it's just how I am

#84 2 years ago
    24346c422b4369d1487647ccce5cf11742a76cf5.jpg24346c422b4369d1487647ccce5cf11742a76cf5.jpg
    #85 2 years ago

Ok. Whatever those undersized jeans are, are now on my list of things not allowed in my game room. ROFL.

#86 2 years ago

Don’t mansplain pinball to all the women you see. Don’t get creepy

Put some upbeat music on the jukebox that adds to the experience

Let out a loud cheer whenever you hear a free game award

If you have a location with a good operator, sing their praises.

Participate in local tourneys, even if you’re going to get your ass kicked

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Hey, if your buddy is in the zone leave him alone.

definitely

#88 2 years ago

My general rule in life as well as pinball....

Don't be a dick!

#89 2 years ago

If I listed my rules here, they wouldn't be "unwritten" then, would they?

But just in general.....
    BADNAD
    (Be a dude, not a dick).

Later,
    EV

#90 2 years ago

I have a buddy that insistes on coaching you the rules as you are playing. No Shit Bro! Get from over my shoulder!

#91 2 years ago

Never open the slam switch to drop the hold circuit on a Gottleib EM with your finger in bare feet on a concrete slab.

#92 2 years ago

Many good points mentioned. One of the things I'll do at shows is if someone is watching me
    play a pin I'd like to play more, offer to include them in the next round.
    Quite often onlookers will be guys unfamiliar with the pin, wives or kids of pinheads
    and it gives them a chance to play an unfamiliar game with someone that (might be)
    more familiar with the rules.

Some of the things that turn me off at shows are; people or groups that hog a game
    for a long time, people that STINK and rug rats with sticky or wet fingers. All very
    inconsiderate.
    Steve

#93 2 years ago

Sooooo many rules for such a simple game.

Here’s my unwritten rule, hope you have fun and leave our home with a full belly and a buzz.

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

My general rule in life as well as pinball....
    Don't be a dick!

Thanks Bryan, I said this upon reading the title of the post. Agree. I am a generous host and have friendly gatherings at my home. If someone is rude or inappropriate with my guests, they don't get invited back.

#95 2 years ago

Don't jump up and down making chimpanzee noises when I'm having a good ball.

#96 2 years ago

Remember that it’s just a pinball meet up, NOT a costume party.
    96AB1EA6-C7AA-488A-9C57-AACDDF6FBCA2 (resized).jpeg96AB1EA6-C7AA-488A-9C57-AACDDF6FBCA2 (resized).jpeg

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Remember that it’s just a pinball meet up, NOT a costume party.
    [quoted image]

Dang, gonna have to put my Black Knight costume back in the closet. /s

If cosplay starts happening at pinball conventions and tourneys

Should we prohibit people coming suited up as Williams and Bally models given the subject matter they found themselves doing.

Better yet lets "Nip It" and keep the costumes at home.

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-the-unwritten-rules-and-courtesy-in-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.