(Topic ID: 66080)

What are the Top SS Non DMD 70's-80's Pins?

By PorkChopExpress

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Jags
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

What are the Top 20 Non DMD 80's Pins and why?

Please keep in mind about cool features, appearance, originality, and a pin that most everyone would enjoy playing.
Many times the most challenging or toughest pin is a big turnoff when getting non pin friends to enjoy pinball. You can include the few 90's pins as well.

**Most Important would be a very cool theme**

#2 10 years ago

Um, none of the 80s games had DMDs, and nearly all of the 90s games had DMDs, so this basically boils down to "what are the best pins from the 80s?"

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Um, none of the 80s games had DMDs, and nearly all of the 90s games had DMDs, so this basically boils down to "what are the best pins from the 80s?"

fixed it. ty

#4 10 years ago

I've done quite a few threads with similar topics. What I've seen is that in the non DMD SS machines you have basically 2 schools of play with a few pins are that kind of in the middle.

First you have the what I call the "Old School" Pins that basically have flat playfields, no ramps, no toys, and are usually single ball (no multiball). They also usually have basic sounds and no voice. They are pretty much an extension of the end of the EM era but with some advancement in scoring capabilities. My favorite in this category would be Skateball. It has drop targets, 4 flippers, a spinner, lane change, pop bumpers that have a purpose, and a great bonus collect multiplier rule set. My second favorite would be Blackout. It has many of the same attributes as Skateball but the rule set is not quite as good.

You also have what I consider the "New School" category. These are very much the same as what we see in the DMD machines except they don't have a DMD!. These pins will have toys, ramps, multiball, music, voice callouts, often with a fan play field layout, loop shots, and most of the attributes that are familiar to games even offered today. I personally do not like this style of play so I don't have any favorites.

Then you have what I find to be some of the more interesting pins of the 80's. Pins that are sort of a cross between both schools. I would like to call these the "Middle School" pins. These pins still maintain some of the really good "Old School" traits such as upper roll over lanes with lane change, pop bumpers that play an important roll in ball play and scoring, play field layouts that keep the importance of target shots along with bringing the ball back to the top for the lanes and pops, and good multiplier and bonus scoring schemes. But along with these traits they often will add some "New School" features such as music and voice call outs, multiball, loop shots, and maybe a ramp and or some sort of toy. I'm just now doing more research regarding these fascinating "cross breeds". My favorites so far are Sorcerer with it's simple ball lock ramp for 2-ball multiball and sound and voice call outs. And also Road Kings with a bit more advanced music and voice call outs along with 2 ramps in which one of them raises and multball. I also like Andromeda. Pretty much an "Old School" Pin with 2-ball multiball.

The non DMD SS Pins truly offer a wide diversity to choose from. "Old School" to "New School" and everything in between. It's unfortunate that this was also the time of heavy competition from the new electronic arcade games and the pin manufacturers had a very difficult time to survive. I can just imagine what sort of incredible pins may have been produced during this time if the arcade games never existed!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 70.00
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1,059.00
$ 45.95
$ 18.95
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 27.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-the-top-ss-non-dmd-70s-80s-90s-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.