(Topic ID: 130953)

What are the odds this Bally tranny is toast?

By Evets

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Rebuilt 54.jpg
Hardwired.jpg
More Splice.jpg
Splice.jpg
Power Supply EBD.jpg
pinball03.jpg
More Bally Tranny Puke.jpg
Bally Tranny Puke.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I am hoping to get your more experienced opinion on the possibility that this Bally transformer might still be good. My limited understanding of these basic devices says the "puke" at the bottom of the transformer and on the heat sink/base plate is the insulation that was formerly in the transformer's windings.

Bally Tranny Puke.jpgBally Tranny Puke.jpg More Bally Tranny Puke.jpgMore Bally Tranny Puke.jpg
#4 8 years ago

Yeah, that thing caught fire. How do I know? The Transformer wax is melted all over the bottom of the cab. I think they used paper bobbins in these and waxed them to isolate the taps. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Bally Tranny
pinball03.jpgpinball03.jpg

#5 8 years ago

I've seen a little bit of transformer goo ooze out, but that's kind of ridiculous. Have you tested it with your meter for opens or shorts?

#6 8 years ago

Was it blowing fuses or getting very hot?

#7 8 years ago

This is a basket case project I'm just digging into. I haven't tested it with a meter as the power cord was cut off before I got it. I'm waiting for a new RFI, power cord, MOV to arrive, among other things, so I won't test it until they get here. I don't know its history, although there is no discernible evidence of fire, just of lots of heat. Here's a picture of the complete assembly as it was just after I removed it from the pin:

// Error: Image 418388 not found //

#8 8 years ago

I plan to document and share the restoration process in a more complete form in the not so distant future. For now, here are some more evidence of this power supply's repair history, in pictorial form:

Splice.jpgSplice.jpg
More Splice.jpgMore Splice.jpgHardwired.jpgHardwired.jpg

#9 8 years ago

Someone really didn't want to buy a new rectifier board.

#10 8 years ago

Yeh that rectifier board has seen better days. I see some connector pins have been bypassed and it looks like evidence of having been over-fused and maybe has some bad diodes or bridge rectifiers.

I would buy a reproduction rectifier board and try it with your transformer.

#11 8 years ago

It's not so bad... A little use of the air hose et viola! It cleans up nice.

// Error: Image 418526 not found //

#12 8 years ago

As part of my prep for this rehab, I picked up a "condition unknown" $10 rectifier board, stripped it, and then repopulated it with new parts. Once the MOV and EMI/RFI get here, I'll fire it up. Mostly just curious if the loss of so much of the insulation is a guarantee of failure. I'm hoping not to undo good work with bad power.

My thanks for the replies.

#13 8 years ago

That transformer probably saw a shorted rectifier and the fuse didnt blow. Someone probably way overfused it and cooked the transformer. If it melted wax out of it, i would bet it has a bad winding.

#14 8 years ago

Thanks, Barakandl. I may just start the search for a replacement transformer. I see the parts companies want $125-$198 for one, when they are in stock... Let's hope the private route is more favorable! Maybe it's time to research the possibility of a shop rewinding it for me. Thanks again, one and all.

Steve

#15 8 years ago

That transformer is toast. I work in an electric motor rewind/repair shop. It will 100% be shorted. Maybe not completely a dead ground. But some of the turns in the windings will be shorted together. = bad power to your game if it doesnt immediatly trip the breaker in your house.

A shop will not wind it for you. The price of a new or used one is cheaper than the labour to wind it.

If they already have the transformer data 8hrs+

Our best shop price $65-hr. You would be lucky if a shop would do it for under $600.

Throw it away. Buy a new one.

#16 8 years ago

Excellent pro advice. Will do. Thank you!

#17 8 years ago

Looks icky but probably works just fine.

Use it.

#18 8 years ago

If I needed a new transformer, I'd keep an eye out for a cheap parts machine. For $100 you can pick something up and have plenty of spare parts to sell or whatever. Transformers outlast the majority of machines they're installed in.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

That transformer probably saw a shorted rectifier and the fuse didnt blow. Someone probably way overfused it and cooked the transformer. If it melted wax out of it, i would bet it has a bad winding.

I had the same thing happen in a Vector I picked up off Ebay a while back. when I first switched it on it had a shorted HV diode and was way overfused (yes I know I should have checked the fuses) . Luckily I caught it in time as I heard the transformer windings starting to bubble! It never got as far as the state of that transformer fortunately!

Your transformer will be toast with shorted windings. It may not blow the main fuse immediately, but I certainly wouldn't like to leave the game unattended with that transformer taking power. As radium said, pick up a cheap parts machine and use the tranny out of that, or put up a wanted ad.

#20 8 years ago

I picked up a transformer on eBay not long ago, sys9, for $40. There is hope.

#21 8 years ago

I will keep hope alive and keep moving forward with EBD rebuild/repair. One has to turn up eventually, right? Thanks.

#22 8 years ago

You may be able to use one out of an older machine that had the original style rectifier board in it (the transformers may be the same, or at least have the same voltages)... they'd be easier to find, tons of parted out ballys out there and the transformer usually doesn't go bad.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

........ the transformer usually doesn't go bad.

^^^ What he said. ^^^

#25 8 years ago

Yeah, you should be able to find a transformer. Every AC voltage is fused on a Bally and there is a line fuse. The transformer is well protected and doesn't go bad unless someone over fuses or hacks around. You have to assume lots of blown out games have been parted with good transformers. Try making a WTB post in the market place here and on rec games pinball newsgroup.

Andrew

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 179.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-the-odds-this-bally-tranny-is-toast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.