You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron_mod5.JPG
tron_mod_blue2.JPG
tron_mods.JPG
#1 12 years ago

So, my AFM is going to a good home and I've just struck a deal for a NIB TRON pro
I've followed a few threads and seen some great mods for this title, but it's hard to keep track of, and dig through, all of them.

Can I get some feedback on what great mods all you Tron and Tron LE owners would recommend?
I knew this game was an imminent purchase for me so I have already grabbed a few of the key ones. Just wondering if I've missed any? I will keep the list on this OP updated so any future Tron modders won't have to go far to find these.

Here's what I've got so far:

-I got the same EL wire setup as CoasterGuy, but waiting to see how LuisSurfer's setup goes.
-Thinking about getting LE ramps from PBL instead of drilling
-FLYNN sign (check)
-MiniArcade V.2 (check.. well, I'm #5 on the list when Pinballlooking gets his completed)
-FF animated LED backbox with motion (check)
-FF upgraded speaker kit (back-ordered, but in line)
-Hallmark lightcycles (check)
-custom target bank decal from pinball customs (thanks Brock!)

I also plan to get a shaker and the playfield support brackets. I'll probably play around with some LEDs as well.

I'm assuming this is a pretty good start, but is there anything else???

Additional mods suggested in this thread:
-Recognizer LED mod
-Cliffy's and Mantis protectors
-Colored post sleeves (Cliffy)
-Custom trim/legs/coin doors
-Action figures
-Mirror blades
-Colored star posts
-Lit flipper buttons (color changing or solid - pulsing)
-laserific topper
-under cab LED lighting
-standard or LSoG colored plastic protectors

#2 12 years ago

That's a pretty solid foundation brother!

On my LE, I did the light cycles, LCD arcade mod, FF Backbox + FF Subwoofer, Shaker, Target Bank Decal (installing tonight)....

If I had to call out anything you were missing I would say it would be the light up recognizer mod. On my LE it turns on and off with the movement but I remember instructions had a PRO install section too, so it must be able to be put on yours as well!

I believe it was "Pinball Doc" or someone who made it? I saw it on PinballHead.com months ago.

#3 12 years ago

So am I free to sell this NIB Tron to someone else then? Just checking!

Also I can grab you a set of playfield slide rails while I'm at PATZ tomorrow if you like. I'm getting a set for myself. If you're doing mods on Tron, this will be the first thing you'll want to do.. trust me.

- B

#4 12 years ago

I would add
Recognizer mod with blue down lights. http://www.kimballspinballs.com/products.html
orange sleeves.
Mantis protector
Get on the list for Ramp protectors. (Cliffy )

#5 12 years ago

Thanks Guys!
Forgot about a few of those.
Message sent to Kimball's Pinballs.

I'll talk to Cliffy and Kerry about some of the other stuff.

#6 12 years ago

I have this and would recommend it as well. However, I have the blue down lights and they are too dim, so I might go with white if I had it to do over again.

#7 12 years ago

Toy mods and maybe the mirror blades?
OHH ya the recognizer mod for sure.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I'll talk to Cliffy and Kerry about some of the other stuff.

Ya. Get the Mantis protector for the scoop hole ASAP. They tend to start wearing more quickly then I would like... (the one at PHOF is already kind of beat up)

#9 12 years ago

If you really want to go nuts, I put in a chrome coin door from pinball decalls with two coin slots, took a bit of extra parts to get it to have two working coin mechs.

#10 12 years ago

You want that Mantis protector now. Also, everyone that has a TRON needs to keep an eye on the beveled wood leading into that arcade hole. I had the glass off of mine the other day, and caught it in the right light. The clear was worn down to the wood, above the Mantis protector - at the front and the left side of the hole. I sanded the entire area on all three sides of the hole and shot a good layer of CA. Sanded smooth, and now I know for sure I have solid protection on that scoop forever.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

shot a good layer of CA.

What is CA?

#12 12 years ago

Super glue. Use something thin, with a pipette or applicator. Sand with a small block wrapped in 320 or 400 grit, until level. Novus 2 then wax.

I like a product called Zap-a-Gap. You can buy it at Micheal's. It comes with the right kind of thin applicator tip, and it is the perfect consistency. It is also super strong. I build Stormtrooper and Clone Trooper armor kits, and that stuff holds up through beatings.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Ya. Get the Mantis protector for the scoop hole ASAP. They tend to start wearing more quickly then I would like... (the one at PHOF is already kind of beat up)

I played that game a few weeks ago. What a sin!!! An LE with uneccesary outole wear already

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

You want that Mantis protector now. Also, everyone that has a TRON needs to keep an eye on the beveled wood leading into that arcade hole. I had the glass off of mine the other day, and caught it in the right light. The clear was worn down to the wood, above the Mantis protector - at the front and the left side of the hole. I sanded the entire area on all three sides of the hole and shot a good layer of CA. Sanded smooth, and now I know for sure I have solid protection on that scoop forever.

Sounds like a small square of Mylar or heavy vinyl wrapping down into the hole (before installing the mantis protector) might not be a bad idea.

#15 12 years ago

The target bank decal is a definite must.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

The target bank decal is a definite must. []

HAHA! Definitely an unbiased opinion

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I build Stormtrooper and Clone Trooper armor kits, and that stuff holds up through beatings.

It's official: you are a NERD!!!

#18 12 years ago

Chrome legs and backbox hinges from pinballife. 119 and 75 respectively. flynn sign seems pricy at 75.

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Chrome legs and backbox hinges from pinballife. 119 and 75 respectively. flynn sign seems pricy at 75.

I kinda like the black trim. Probably one of the things I prefer over the LE. Have you got any pics to see what it looks like on the pro?

#20 12 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I kinda like the black trim. Probably one of the things I prefer over the LE.

Yes I agree with you on this.

#21 12 years ago

I've seen a lot of guys swap out rails on this game and other Sterns. Is this difficult to do without trashing the cabinet? TRON is going to be my first Stern (heaven forgive me) so I know next to nothing about them. Do they have an easier system for getting rails on and off?
When I do rails on a B/W there's a lot of heat and putty knives invoved.

#22 12 years ago

I did LOTR and they were just bolted on. It was very easy.

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Is this difficult to do without trashing the cabinet?

Easy enough. A couple bolts / screws.

#24 12 years ago

Thing I like about Sterns is they just work. Very reliable. My tools are gathering dust since I sold my Williams.

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

gambit3113 said:You want that Mantis protector now. Also, everyone that has a TRON needs to keep an eye on the beveled wood leading into that arcade hole. I had the glass off of mine the other day, and caught it in the right light. The clear was worn down to the wood, above the Mantis protector - at the front and the left side of the hole. I sanded the entire area on all three sides of the hole and shot a good layer of CA. Sanded smooth, and now I know for sure I have solid protection on that scoop forever.
Sounds like a small square of Mylar or heavy vinyl wrapping down into the hole (before installing the mantis protector) might not be a bad idea.

That's what I did.

#26 12 years ago

Wasn't someone else coming out with a new Recognizer mod soon? I remember a post about it recently but I don't recall who it was.

#27 12 years ago

Other things to consider that I've done to mine, you may want to do to yours.
I've added a few figures on my playfield. They were originally offered in packs of (2 per pack) at Target but have since been discontinued but can be found on Ebay. I've added Clu on top of the left sling, Sam above the right, Quorra above the Quorra spinner, Zuse back around the right loop and a Gem figure by her lane/pop bumper. Gotta put some DOLLS on your game
(attached are a couple of pics I took of my game shortly after owning it with the figures installed). I have them in place with hot glue, easy to remove and it doesn't damage anything.

Also I'd recommend buying the multi-colored plastic protector set from Curly at Little Shop of Games. Together with his plastic protectors and some colored LED's under the slings...this set rocks and makes the protectors look like they are glowing around the edges.

Another mod I did to mine was that I removed the narrow clear plastic posts under the left and right slingshots and replaced them with yellow star posts on the left and blue star posts on the right. Together with the above sling protectors and LED's it looks awesome.

Last but not least, I went all out and had my chrome redone in Candy Blue powder coat. It looks off the hook now.

Also I noticed you said you wanted the FF speaker kit. Let me tell ya. I went ahead and did what others were recommending by purchasing the Sony powered Sub that sits under my game. Trust me...this is all you need...and it's less expensive. It freakin' rocks the house and on top of that. I don't now about you...but sometimes I like to play a game when the rest of the family is asleep. The beauty of the powered sub is that I can turn it off and hear the factory speakers and not wake the whole house up. Once you put a subwoofer in the cabinet...it's bass all the time.

Enjoy your new pin.
Attached are a few pics of mods I did throughout the process of "blinging" out my Tron. There has been a few mods done since these pics. But you get the idea.....

tron_mods.JPGtron_mods.JPG tron_mod_blue2.JPGtron_mod_blue2.JPG tron_mod5.JPGtron_mod5.JPG

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Also I noticed you said you wanted the FF speaker kit. Let me tell ya. I went ahead and did what others were recommending by purchasing the Sony powered Sub that sits under my game. Trust me...this is all you need...and it's less expensive.

When I bought my Tron LE back from the person that I sold it to, he had removed the FF speaker/subwoofer kit and put it in another pin. I already had the Sony Subwoofer that I was using on another pin, so I went ahead and hooked it up to my Tron LE. Huge improvement in bass...but the overall sound was not as good as I had remembered with the FF kit.

So, I went ahead and ordered the FF kit again and put it back in my Tron LE. I definitely prefer the overall sound with the FF kit vs the Sony subwoofer alone. The bass may not be as loud, but it is tighter, not as boomy, and blends better with the upgraded FF speakers in my opinion. The overall sound quality is better with the FF kit in my opinion.

#29 12 years ago

Sorry, did I miss something? The FF kit I saw did not include a subwoofer... did it?

I also talked to Kim at Kimball's Pinballs and am also going to try the lighted flipper buttons in TRON blue I'm also adding a third button in orange so I can try an orange left and blue right configuration to match the theme.

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Sorry, did I miss something? The FF kit I saw did not include a subwoofer... did it?

I thought he had a kit with only the subwoofer, or with the subwoofer and the main speakers. I didn't think he sold just the main speakers without the subwoofer but I could be wrong.

The Blue LED flipper buttons look great on Tron. Love mine.

#31 12 years ago

Maybe I should order a Flipper Fidelity kit for Tron

I hear nothing but good things.

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

I hear nothing but good things.

You mean,
"I'll HEAR nothing but good things."
(with the FF kit installed.)
Do it, do it NOW RawleyD!

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Drano said:Sorry, did I miss something? The FF kit I saw did not include a subwoofer... did it?
I thought he had a kit with only the subwoofer, or with the subwoofer and the main speakers. I didn't think he sold just the main speakers without the subwoofer but I could be wrong.
The Blue LED flipper buttons look great on Tron. Love mine.

Nope, neither kit includes a sub.
He sells either a full kit or just the woofer. No sub-woofer. It is supposed to have more dynamic bass though. Not sure I need (or can actually use) an external sub. I'd never be able to turn it up where I play.

1 month later
#34 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I didn't think he sold just the main speakers without the subwoofer but I could be wrong.

You can e-mail and ask and I think he will sell just the main backbox speakers (2x 4") if you wanted them without the 8" woofer...

Quoted from Drano:

Nope, neither kit includes a sub.
He sells either a full kit or just the woofer. No sub-woofer. It is supposed to have more dynamic bass though. Not sure I need (or can actually use) an external sub. I'd never be able to turn it up where I play.

He has two "kits":

Complete Replacement Speaker System - System consists of one 8" Woofer with crossover, two 4" Speakers, all spacers, factory correct wiring, and hardware for installation. Now tuned for higher bass output.

Woofer Only Kit - For use with factory back-box speakers. Kit consists of one 8" woofer, spacer, level control, factory correct wiring, and all installation hardware.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Trade
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-the-must-have-tron-mods?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.