Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by agodfrey
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern_pinball.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Which games do you think are currently the most relevant in the hobby at this time, and why? This could be simply because a game is new, or perhaps it is something that people have been discussing a lot recently. Which games are the most current, topical, or controversial?

If you walked into an arcade, which games would be the most interesting to see?

I'll start with some my list of suggestions... do you agree with these?
    What else can you think of that would fit this category? I'd love to include more older games or even EMs.

AMH: current Spooky game
    RZ: next Spooky game
    Domino's?: seems weird, but whatever
    GOT: newest Stern game
    TWD: latest significant code completion from Stern
    Iron Man Vault: latest Vault edition
    Tron LE: everyone seems to love those lighted ramps
    GNR: hottest Data East game?
    WOZ: current JJP game
    Hobbit: next JJP game
    JJP3: Lawlor's JJP game
    FT: current Heighway game
    Alien: next Heighway game
    BOP2.0: latest Dutch pinball release
    TBL: next Dutch pinball release
    MMR: latest Planetary remake
    Multimorphic P3: newest technology
    Pinball Circus: could be interesting
    Fathom: beautiful Bally game
    Centaur: bizarre, fun, interesting art
    Fireball: skill shot and multi ball way ahead of its time
    Flash Gordon: one of the hardest games around
    Swords of Fury: lionman!

#2 8 years ago

Whoa nelly. Big juicy melons: I'd love to play one, have to find it first.

#3 8 years ago

Not to be a fly in the ointment, but this is like asking "which pizza topping is best on Tuesdays?"

Very subjective and arbitrary and is something that is constantly changing from day to day.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Very subjective and arbitrary and is something that is constantly changing from day to day.

I think that's the point of the thread. What are you buzzing about right now?

Although it would be cool to have a list of the most relevant games of all time. Game Feature firsts, designer firsts, unique historical relevance. Ect.

#5 8 years ago

FT= fishtales

#6 8 years ago

You could argue that the Forum Buzz section on the Forum homepage answers this question. TZ is the current most talked about game.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

What are you buzzing about right now?

Yes, that's it. WNBJM is definitely a no-brainer. TZ is a nice addition. I suspect most of the big "A" titles generate a lot of buzz.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Multimorphic P3: newest technology
    Pinball Circus: could be interesting
    Fathom: beautiful Bally game
    Centaur: bizarre, fun, interesting art
    Fireball: skill shot and multi ball way ahead of its time
    Flash Gordon: one of the hardest games around
    Swords of Fury: lionman!

I think these games with GNR shouldn't be on the same list as the others. These just aren't talked about as much as those newer games and it doesn't feel like the P3 has the same amount of buzz as the other newer games.

#9 8 years ago

I hear you, but without some of those, it would just be a "most recent" list.

In addition to the latest-greatest, are there certain older games that come in and out of the conversation?

Another I thought of, the original Kiss game, perhaps sitting next to the new Stern one?

Iron Maiden?

Or, (I admit this is a stretch) given the release of the movie "Creed", has the "Rocky" pin suddenly become a bit more relevant?

#10 8 years ago

You just asked a bunch of different questions there.

Anyways, I don't see how any EM or early SS game could be called relevant today.

#11 8 years ago

"Relevant" just seems like an odd word to use. All pins are relevant to pinball. The ones I own are most relevant to me. The ones I can't afford are not relevant.

#12 8 years ago

Relevant? The only machine I know with a relevant is The Pinball Circus

#13 8 years ago

Not sure I get the list. It's mostly all the new pins with a few old ss games. I don't think IM is any more relevant than say LOTR or any other Stern game. I would be more interested in what pins were most important in the history of pinball. Pins that brought pinball into the mainstream, saved pinball from extinction, first with a feature, or just sold the most units.

#15 8 years ago

RELEVANT to who, OP? The collector community? Quarter-drop players? Game manufacturers? Makers of aftermarket parts? Solid state enthusiasts and the vendors who support us?

Every pin is "relevant" to someone. I really don't understand what you're asking.

#16 8 years ago

Title with the most machines made!

#17 8 years ago

I included as many synonyms as I could think of. I'm sorry my idea is not clear to some. If it remains confusing or just isn't an interesting question for you, I don't think you're technically required to post.

#18 8 years ago

Humpty Dumpty. The game that started the flipper trend.

#19 8 years ago

High Speed and Space Shuttle. Saved pinball from a slow death in the mid 80's

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

I included as many synonyms as I could think of. I'm sorry my idea is not clear to some. If it remains confusing or just isn't an interesting question for you, I don't think you're technically required to post.

The idea is clear....it is just that the idea is obtuse in nature.

#21 8 years ago

Okay, I'll play:

Black Knight - first game with ramps (?)
    RFM - Only pin with video targets
    TSPP, LOTR - first pins that showed that Stern was going to be okay
    GNR - strippers on playfield

#22 8 years ago

I'd like to see a thread about the most irelavant titles. You could fill it up with a lot of the recent games.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'd like to see a thread about the most irelavant titles. You could fill it up with a lot of the recent games.

The most irrelevant voting poll came down to a tie between Striker Xtreme and WWE.

#24 8 years ago

Winner.

stern_pinball.jpgstern_pinball.jpg

#25 8 years ago

I'd have to say Metallica Pro or Premium. So many people like it for different reasons. Still in high demand since it came out. I would interested to know why it wasn't in a arcade if I walked in.

#26 8 years ago

Yeah, Metallica is tough to argue with.

What about Luci?

#27 8 years ago

My top 10 pinball relevancy list:
    Now, current, always, and in order IMHO (warning, long):

1. Capcom Kingpin. Because there is no debating a pinball that people pay over $45,000 for, willingly. If only Capcom stuck out pinball until 1998, pinball history would be unquestionably different. 8 confirmed units exist, maybe 9.

2. Capcom Bing Bang Bar. See #1--just a lighter version due to the 160 thereabouts repros in addition to the 15 or so originals. "Ooo...a little to the left." Would have flown in Europe.

3. Some Dutch pinball company...The Big Lebowski. The most anticipated game in the last 2-3 years, and now it's on the bubble and may never happen. This would be bad.

4. Bally Cactus Canyon...the last Bally/Williams full size pinball, ever, deserves a place here. Game is cool too, but I guess the software was never finished, or so I have heard.

5. Stern ACDC Premium. The pin brought in a lot of newbies, perhaps more than any other pin this decade, and is a quality game as far as most are concerned. First great sound on a rock pin. Note: Rating is for Premium only. Pro EXCLUDED from top 1,000 - the stationary target overload destroys it that bad..

6. Williams Flash. The first, Williams Steve Ritchie is also the first Williams system 7 pinball. If you were age 7 when this came out, which I was, then you get it. The first Williams title that made Bally say "Oh No!"

7. Williams High Speed. Because NONE of us would be playing any new pinballs right now if it were not for this title. This title, in 1986, and being the first Williams system 11 pinball, saved pinball. It saved it. Video games had won! I watched arcades go from 10 pins and 4-5 EM gun games./vids in 1978....to...13 video games and 2 pins by 1984. It was over. The end was near. Then, "dispatch this is 504, suspect ran a red light over."

8. Jersey Jack Pinball Wizard of Oz. Gave the masses something else new, when pinball needed something else new! Not a huge fan, but the game has grown on me over the years, and definitely is deep, and the designers reached--3 way multiball flips (weak, reverse, and no save) are incredible innovation, and this title achieved for the most part.

9. Bally Centaur. 5 Multiballs in 1981, auto-launched too. Game has a coolness factor to it that cannot be done by anyone other than Bally. Top 5 in price and value for the manufacturer to this day, 34 years later.

10. Bally Addams Family: More units made than any other pinball title, and it is fun, humorous, great ruleset for the time, and let's you hear Raul Julia's voice more than you heard it in all his movies combined, 20 times over. And he passed shortly after. Watch that yeyyo Raul. It's a great game, and always will be.

Always go with the first ten that pop into your head:
    Honorable mention: Bally Fireball, Bally Paragon, Bally Flash Gordon, Williams Firepower 1, Gottlieb Target Alpha and it's 8 sisters, Williams Monster Bash, Gottlieb Black Hole, and Stern Metallica.

Now tear me apart, by all means.

#28 8 years ago

Now THAT's what I was talking about. You made a lot of great points, and I love the list. Quite a few I hadn't thought of.

I didn't realize TBL was "on the bubble"...has there been news that I missed? I don't really watch those threads.

#29 8 years ago

Eight ball deluxe should be on the list.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Okay, I'll play:
    Black Knight - first game with ramps eld

Try Gottlieb Roller Coaster

#31 8 years ago

Kingpin, BBB and TBL are the least relevant pins I could possibly imagine.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Try Gottlieb Roller Coaster

Quoted from swampfire:

First pin with ramps the player can shoot? First game that laughed at you?

#33 8 years ago

I guess I can see why Kingpin and BBB are questionable in terms of relevance, due to being Unobtainium. However, they are certainly games that I'd be excited to see if I saw one in an arcade.

I can't imaging how TBL could be considered irrelevant. Timely, controversial, and by all accounts a pretty great game.

#34 8 years ago

Gorgar first machine to talk

#35 8 years ago

For me nothing can touch Aliens, coolest theme to date and long over due for a pin.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

First game with ramps was Marble Prince.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5122

First flipper game with a ramp was Skyway.
    http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=2206

Quoted from Taygeta:

The most irrelevant voting poll came down to a tie between Striker Xtreme and WWE.

Pretty ironic when you think about it as Striker Xtreme is probably the most relevant game of the 21st century as it came out right after all the others stopped making pinball machines.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from Russell:

However, they are certainly games that I'd be excited to see if I saw one in an arcade.

Heck, I'd be excited to just to see a pinball arcade...

I've been playing Firepower and Riverboat Gambler in the basement lately - so that's what is relevant to me these days.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

First game with ramps was Marble Prince.
    http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5122

Now THAT is something I'd love to see a remake of. Beautiful!

#39 8 years ago

ONLY THING Relevant... According to center flank... Tron

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Now THAT is something I'd love to see a remake of. Beautiful!

I have seen and played this game. Buy with confidence!

#41 8 years ago

More relevancy. Ballyhoo pinball machine. 50,000 units produced. Good luck with that in today's hardly relevant pinball market.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=4817

#42 8 years ago

What about Predator? Massively influential in the current pinball market.

#43 8 years ago

Man marble prince looks like a work of art.

#44 8 years ago

Brokers tip first with tilt
    Wizard first licensed movie theme
    Spirit of 76 first ss
    Checkpoint first dmd
    The Addams family best selling
    The twilight zone most modded
    Revenge from mars most high tech

#45 8 years ago

I would say SMVE is very relevant...good chance that it will pull $$$ away from some of these other new titles.

#46 8 years ago

Whatever stern puts out next as there just about the only ones making them anymore

#47 8 years ago

I thought it was Space Shuttle that saved pinball, not High Speed.

#48 8 years ago

I thought video killed the radio star.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

The Addams Family best selling

Not quite.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=4817

#50 8 years ago

Swords of Fury!! Hah

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-the-most-relevant-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.