DSC04227 (resized).JPG
DSC04219 (resized).JPG
DSC04216 (resized).JPG
DSC04213 (resized).JPG
DSC04212 (resized).JPG
DSC04487 (resized).JPG
DSC03748 (resized).JPG
DSCN8169 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Good Morning all!

So far the strategy my wife and I have been following the last few months is to pick up a game, refurbish it and give it a try to see if we like it or not. I'd like to be a bit more selective in the near future though as this is not the best use of our spare time!

We tend to like games with at least 4 pop bumpers (there is exceptions) and fast paced. Drop targets are ok but not a high priority.

Our favorite at the moment is Williams Olympic Hockey which is great fun but an ailing and worn unit unfortunately. Domino is my favorite, with yellow dot coils and a steep table it gets going really good. Night Rider is fun with 2-4 players. Touchdown is another fast player, outlanes are brutal. Moon Shot is high tapped and gets crazy when the ball drops down in the flipper box and you try like mad to get it back up field.

What would you pick for a good, fast paced EM and why? Thank you for your input, I'll scope out a few of the suggested titles on Youtube to get an idea of the game play.

Gary

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from wizardblom:

But keep in mind, they need to be serviced the right way to play the right way, placed under the right angle, waxed, new set of rubbers to accomplish it.

Of course, I run my games no other way

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from wizardblom:

Most Williams machines are really fast, the later version on DC especially.
Strato-Flite, Star Pool, Dealers Choice, Grand Prix to name a few.

Olympic Hockey must be exceptional then, I played Strato-Flite at Pintastic and Grand Prix at a friends house and thought they were only so-so. Have a Big Ben here (a '75 with DC powered flippers) and just finished high tapping it and it is on the mediocre side of the ledger.

I should expand a bit- When I'm talking speed I'm referring to not just how fast the poppers and slingshots move the ball about but how well the game flows from point to point. Olympic Hockey has virtually no "slow sections," there is no respite from the action till the ball goes flying down an out lane.

Domino is like that in the lower part of the field with the upper being a touch slow, Night Rider the opposite with a lot of action up top but slowing down on the bottom half. Moon Shot has a lot of action in the poppers and it gets hectic down around the flippers, its fast but in a slower 2" flipper way if that makes sense.

Does this help?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

Williams DC games are all quite fast.

Not all DC games have good flow, not all AC games are slow.

Big Ben has no flow at all IMHO and is fun as watching paint dry, Domino and Moon Shot both have AC powered 2" flippers and put Big Ben to shame for speed and gameplay.

Maybe I phrased my question wrong in using the term speed as the primary criteria??

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

In terms of good flow and speed, I'd say the Sonic Games are decent. I personally like Mars Trek, but it does't have 4 pops. Dealers Choice in another fast game that requires some skills to complete the target and rollover sequence...great flow too. Both of these are relativity easy to find.

I have heard some good stuff about Sonic titles, they sound great. There is a Mars Trek I have had my eye on for a bit.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

Night Rider. Triple Action.

Have Night Rider, just picked up Star Action last week but waiting for parts.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi gdonovan +
I agree with wizardblom (post-3) --- I happen to have two "Fun Fest" - one is "normal tapped" and the other is "high tapped" --- I prefer the "normal tapped" but some friends prefer the speedy "high tapped".
The "play" of 3,4,5 bumper-pins is different to "one or two bumper-pins" --- I like all my pins so I like my 2-bumper Big Deal, Space Mission, Surf Champ. Greetings Rolf

Funny you should mention Space Mission, look what followed me home today?

We like it, lots going on. Needs a flipper upgrade though, they are a bit weak IMHO.

DSCN8169 (resized).JPGDSCN8169 (resized).JPG

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

I have been looking for an Olympic hockey in excellent cosmetic condition for a couple years locally.... someday! I would think hard about selling it if it's your favorite game.

I was thinking about selling Ice Fever, a Gottlieb SS title, keeping Olympic Hockey.

Speaking of which, shot a quick video while doing some troubleshooting.. its not set as steep as usual or even level but you get the idea.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That Struggle Buggies on the left is pretty darn lively too, as is Arrow Head out in the garage.

I forgot to mention the other day, Struggle Buggies looks like a delightful title and was chuckling when I found out what the slang term means. Some of these old games.. people had a wicked sense of humor.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ashburn, VA
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-the-most-fast-paced-em-games?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.