You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

machsm (resized).jpg
da9cd99b3768460ad5518d9d96470392 (resized).jpg
pinball_eightballdeluxe_orig (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Are the only differences in these games artwork on the cab or are they the same?
How do you tell which is which if you cant find any data tag with serial numbers or year it was made?
Thanks.

#2 6 years ago

as far as i know backbox/cab is the only difference.

pinball_eightballdeluxe_orig (resized).jpgpinball_eightballdeluxe_orig (resized).jpg

da9cd99b3768460ad5518d9d96470392 (resized).jpgda9cd99b3768460ad5518d9d96470392 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

paging Gatecrasher

#5 6 years ago

I think the 84 uses metal lamp boards, while the original has individual sockets for the bulbs

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

as far as i know backbox/cab is the only difference.

Please don't mistake that picture of the original '80 version in your post as a real machine. That's just a 3d model created years ago for the 3dArcade frontend, and while it's close, the details aren't exactly the same as the actual pin.

One difference between '80 and '84 is the backglass; although they use the same artwork, the '84 is smaller and so the two are not interchangeable.

#7 6 years ago

Ok I found some more info.
I guess the 1984 version has a swing out backglass and head,no lift channel.
Correct?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

Ok I found some more info.
I guess the 1984 version has a swing out backglass and head,no lift channel.
Correct?

Yes, swings out just like Fireball Classic cabinet.

#9 6 years ago

Totally different wiring harness, apron was different, midway sticker on coin door, and I think a different shooter rod to add on what was said

#11 6 years ago

This has been talked about numerous times. Mostly cosmetic in terms of colors/artwork. Mostly just the head decals are different (good cowboy, bad cowboy) Apron, wiring harness. '84 had the 555 boards vs individual sockets as zacaj pointed out. Of course the original is still the most desirable. Sold my 1st one, then just had to get another a couple years later. Still the best SS pin. . .

1 month later
#13 6 years ago

FYI note on this game and the cabinet. Bally over ordered on Rapid Fire cabinets and scrambled to re purpose the overstock. Surplus Rapid Fire cabinets were stripped and reissued for EBD and Centaur. Both games had significant demand for another run. When I was at Bally we scrambled to adapt those games with modified cable harnesses and put into production using up surplus resources that were available with the cancellation of Rapid Fire.

Later on it was hard to find an engineer mumbling "...Rapid Fire...Woof Woof..." while walking around.
Other jokes about that game were contrived from the old expression, 'It's raining cats and 'insert your bad game name here' out there'

#14 6 years ago

There are many more aspects that are different than simply cosmetics.
I know this because I built one.

Watch this video for a full detailed explanation.

I documented a number of differences and point them out directly for historical reasons.
Some of this information was originally lost to history because when I built the game in 2004, there was spotty information regarding wire harness differences. Today, this is better understood.

If a person has an increased interest to know more about EBD and its history, watch Episode 3: Eight Ball Deluxe, the primary history-features-gameplay video before the BONUS video which provides the baseline for all models made in 1981, 1982, and 1984.

Keep Flipping
- TBK

#15 6 years ago

One of the more significant differences not yet mentioned is the adjustable bottom on the 7 target drop target bank not found on the original version. This improvement over the original drop target bank helped eliminate the occasional stuck ball in that area.

#16 6 years ago

That is correct. The 7 bank target assembly was adjustable starting with the 1982 LE. Previously the bank had to shimmed with washers on the ends to adjust height if needed for leveling.

#17 6 years ago

Another difference...

The '84 version cabinet is made of particle board, not plywood.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

FYI note on this game and the cabinet. Bally over ordered on Rapid Fire cabinets and scrambled to re purpose the overstock. Surplus Rapid Fire cabinets were stripped and reissued for EBD and Centaur.

Also Mr & Mrs Pacman

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Also Mr & Mrs Pacman

Mr & Mrs Pacman cabinet is unique to that game. The lower backbox sits atop the "neck" on its own, whereas Rapid Fire, EBDLE, and Centaur II lower backboxes have a long trapezoidal panel on each side that fits over and is bolted to the main cabinet. The lower backbox on M&MPM is also the same full width of the upper backbox, while on the other three it's only slightly wider than the main cab.

Even the lower backboxes on EBDLE and Centaur II aren't the same. Centaur II lower backbox use the full trapezoidal side panel found on Rapid Fire, while the lower corner on EBDLE is cut off at an angle, perhaps to allow more of the sideart on the main cab to show.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Mr & Mrs Pacman cabinet is unique to that game. The lower backbox sits atop the "neck" on its own, whereas Rapid Fire, EBDLE, and Centaur II lower backboxes have a long trapezoidal panel on each side that fits over and is bolted to the main cabinet. The lower backbox on M&MPM is also the same full width of the upper backbox, while on the other three it's only slightly wider than the main cab.
Even the lower backboxes on EBDLE and Centaur II aren't the same. Centaur II lower backbox use the full trapezoidal side panel found on Rapid Fire, while the lower corner on EBDLE is cut off at an angle, perhaps to allow more of the sideart on the main cab to show.

Good to know.

#21 6 years ago

Finding one with a mint/nice playfield is still hard though. I'd take a minty playfield in a 1984 version over a blown out 1980 version all day long (I don't restore and don't like sinking money I won't get back, so that's me).

Gameplay is identical also.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

That is correct. The 7 bank target assembly was adjustable starting with the 1982 LE. Previously the bank had to shimmed with washers on the ends to adjust height if needed for leveling.

I haven't seen this change in the three 1982 LEs that have come through my hands. That means it must have been a change late in the run. Almost need a scorecard to keep track of all the changes and when they were introduced.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

I haven't seen this change in the three 1982 LEs that have come through my hands. That means it must have been a change late in the run. Almost need a scorecard to keep track of all the changes and when they were introduced.

Damn, now I'm curious and I'll have to go look at mine

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-the-differences-in-ebd-1980-ebd-1984 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.