(Topic ID: 277362)

What are the differences between the various Hobbit editions?

By Krupps4

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

I follow the Marketplace and see listings for the various editions of The Hobbit. However, in the Top 100 no distinction amongst the editions is made. I’m assuming that’s because the gameplay is all the same. With that being said, what are all the editions? I think there’s a Smaug edition and maybe a Black Arrow as well. Is one edition more desirable than the other?

#2 3 years ago

Game play is the same. I have the LE so 3 models. Cabinet art is different on all 3.

Black Arrow was added last. I love the game.

Cheers

#3 3 years ago

Pretty much Trim package, tho, I believe Smaug has a different opening in the credits area or such. Some may say Smaug is the most desirable. Smaug came out around the same time as the LE and I believe was 500 dollars more expensive. I would get the best condition, lowest price of the 3. My LE is a keeper. Bring a friend to move tho. Hobbit is one heavy SOB.

#4 3 years ago

Pretty much just the trim the Smaug has the added attract mode animation and the smaug head is gold rather than red. Black arrow has a black captive ball

#5 3 years ago

Have you played it? You might want to before buying. Its the worst pin JJP has put out by far. Resale value pretty much proves that as the others hold their value well.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Have you played it? You might want to before buying. Its the worst pin JJP has put out by far. Resale value pretty much proves that as the others hold their value well.

Good grief, here we go again. Do you realize hundreds of owners and non owners love the game? We know your Hobbit fell on you in 2017 or whatever, it smashed your car, it broke your sprinkler system, it ate your ice cream, it fell through your floor as the game weighs so damn much, etc. Something happened as you literally won't stop your 24/7 hate posts for this game even in a thread where someone is simply asking what the differences between versions are. Also, pricing depends on condition and location. I recently had someone offer $7200 for my LE and since I love the game I declined.

To the OP, don't listen to this guy, he also sold the game well before the code was completed and now has some personal vendetta against it. TH plays great, has multiple toys, multiple detailed molds, and probably has the deepest objective based ruleset in pinball. I have a cousin that has owned a LOTR since new in 2003 with over 6k plays on it. When he comes to my house to play pinball he will only play The Hobbit lol. If you love the Tolkien theme and are a fan of objective based rulesets nothing comes close other then LOTR.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Well, we may have to agree to disagree on that point . Hobbit has the maybe the most assets of any pin on the market. Yes wide open play field with pop ups to block shots (per design). Put in a pin woofer sound system and the sound is spectacular. Resale values dropped pretty hard at first , but, JJP was putting out a ton of them. They now seem to have stabilized in the low 7K range. Wonka and DI resales are not great. DI great shooter, but, too linear for me. Wonka , understand also a great shooter, but theme ?

Hobbit sitting next to JJP Pirates. Now that is a pair .

#8 3 years ago

Game play is the same just cabinet art and trim is different.

#9 3 years ago

Another thing to note, I don't believe The Black Arrow edition has the textured hammered powder coat that is featured on the Smaug and LE editions. Personally I think the hammered powder coat on the LE and Smaug is the best factory powder coat I've ever seen on a pin.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Good grief, here we go again. Do you realize hundreds of owners and non owners love the game?

And just as many hate it, find it boring, with no satisfying shots. Why does it take forever to sell on the second hand market? Why are people having to sell for $7k OR LESS if its so great?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

And just as many hate it, find it boring, with no satisfying shots. Why does it take forever to sell on the second hand market? Why are people having to sell for $7k OR LESS if its so great?

It doesn't matter what I say to you, you are a Stern fanboy and constantly bash TH and JJP. Hell, you just bashed JJP randomly for no reason in this thread lol. You may not admit but you do seem to have something against JJP.

Sorry to the OP that this crap is occurring in your thread.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Why are you in this thread anyway?
This about 3 different Hobbit's....
NOT YOU OR YOUR OPINIONS.
if you needed attention today, wrong way to go about it.

#13 3 years ago

I had an LE briefly (hated it). With that said, the regular version is missing some things the other versions have.

1. Shaker Motor
2. Invisiglass (or whatever JJP calls it)
3. The slings have little hammers that move on the LE and other fancy versions. It's neat.

Art is different on the different versions.

Smaug has an extra animation in attract mode.

Good luck!

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I bet this guy hasn't spent much time on the Hobbit. Just repeating what others said when it first came out and code wasn't complete.

The newest code makes this one of the best games of all time. If you haven't spent the time to understand the game and what the objectives are, you are doing yourself a serious disservice. I didn't like the game when it first came out either, now it's one of my all time favorites. Best value JJP pin by far.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I bet this guy hasn't spent much time on the Hobbit. Just repeating what others said when it first came out and code wasn't complete.
The newest code makes this one of the best games of all time. If you haven't spent the time to understand the game and what the objectives are, you are doing yourself a serious disservice. I didn't like the game when it first came out either, now it's one of my all time favorites. Best value JJP pin by far.

Personally, I hate it. However, I can see how someone could enjoy it. It has the best art package and sound system/package in any pinball machine ever made ever. I love the theme and love the look but the game plays to slow for me. With that said, to each his own. You could buy a Hobbit for about $6500, play it for a year and sell it for ~$6200. That's pretty cheap for home entertainment and totally worth it.

If you buy one used make sure the Dragon fully works. A replacement runs about $600 from JJP and about 1/2 that I see have a non-functional mouth.

#16 3 years ago

There is a standard Hobbit with chrome trim that saw very few units made. So there are actually 4 different models but all play pretty much the same.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Another thing to note, I don't believe The Black Arrow edition has the textured hammered powder coat that is featured on the Smaug and LE editions. Personally I think the hammered powder coat on the LE and Smaug is the best factory powder coat I've ever seen on a pin.

Black arrow has black hammered powder on the armors. Its pretty nice.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Black arrow has black hammered powder on the armors. Its pretty nice.

Awesome! Good to know, thanks. I wish JJP would have done that for Pirates.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Why are you in this thread anyway?
This about 3 different Hobbit's....
NOT YOU OR YOUR OPINIONS.
if you needed attention today, wrong way to go about it.

Because I owned this pin and the OP asked a question. I'll post wherever I want and you can cry like a snowflake about my posts or be a man and ignore it if you don't like it.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I had an LE briefly (hated it).
Good luck!

Hey shouldn't you fanboys start crying because he hated it too? Oh wait, everyone loves it but me right? LOL

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

They were only 8k nib for an le, 8500 for Smaug, and the standards were 7-7500 I believe. Not much drop considering nib price.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

If I could only own one pin, it may be Hobbit.

#23 3 years ago

Moderator's comment:

Please do not turn this into a debate and flame fest.

The OP asked to know what the differences were between the editions of The Hobbit. Please try to stick to that. Thanks.

3 years later
#24 52 days ago

Has one of the Hobbit Model the boards in the backbox ?

#25 52 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Has one of the Hobbit Model the boards in the backbox ?

Nope

#26 52 days ago

Ok thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 25.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-the-differences-between-the-various-hobbit-editions?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.