(Topic ID: 163645)

What are the best settings for ColorDMD?

By AJB4

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CUJO
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160711_203918_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Just curious on what most people thought looked the best out of the choices for resolution on the ColorDMD.
    Right now I have mine set to Dots XL.

#2 7 years ago

I think it really depends on the game. To me, the Bally/Williams games look best in DotsXL. I just installed one in my Spider-Man VE and set it to HIRES ( I think). I like Metallica on the same setting. It truly is a personal preference with no right answer. Play around with the setting between balls until you find what you like.

#3 7 years ago

It all comes down to personal preference. I myself prefer the "Scan" mode the best.

#4 7 years ago

Tile Mode is the best when it comes to dots. However, its always an opinion. Some modes look better in different machines.

#5 7 years ago

The ones you like. Try them all.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spock:

Tile Mode is the best when it comes to dots. However, its always an opinion. Some modes look better in different machines.

I thought that before dotXL came out. Now it's dotXL all the way for me.

#7 7 years ago

DotsXL on B/W game. HiRes on newer Sterns like Met. You asked now go do it!

#8 7 years ago

Dots or death!!

#9 7 years ago

I have mine set on hi res on my Metallica premium.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

DotsXL on B/W game. HiRes on newer Sterns like Met. You asked now go do it!

OK that is what I will set to initially

Does anyone change the other setting s like contrast, etc?

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

OK that is what I will set to initially
    Does anyone change the other setting s like contrast, etc?

I always bump the contrast down a little on the movie based games (spiderman, ironman, batman, etc) because Stern jacks up the contrast to show more detail in monochrome and once you color that it looks bad. Turning down the contrast lowers the low end of the brightness levels to help it look nicer. I don't really move it off the default for non-movie games.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

I thought that before dotXL came out. Now it's dotXL all the way for me.

dotXL looks a bit bloated to me. The Tile feels more uniform. But again, everyone has different taste. No right or wrong.

I had a request a few years ago to have a random setting. On every power cycle it would randomly pick a different mode. I think that would be really cool. But not sure if Color DMD ever read the request.

#13 7 years ago

I have MB & CFTBL coming this week, any opinions on settings for these titles ? Thanks

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from dracula40:

I have MB & CFTBL coming this week, any opinions on settings for these titles ? Thanks

It's ridiculously easy to change the settings. Set it up one way, play (or watch) a game, then try something else. Find whatever you like.

#15 7 years ago

Thanks, I never owned or installed a color DMD. I wasnt sure if it was a pain .

#16 7 years ago

Seems like it was pretty easy although be sure to have everything powered off and follow the directions to the letter. If in doubt stop and email your question with pics to randy at colordmd - he will respond in like 5 minutes...
    I am in the process of doing all of my games.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

Just curious on what most people thought looked the best out of the choices for resolution on the ColorDMD.
    Right now I have mine set to Dots XL.

You are correct!

#18 7 years ago

I find I like the look of Dots XL the best so far -even on the film based action shots. But still playing around with it. But I was initially against the color dmd install but having seen it in person on SM I decided it was time; and I now see the world of difference it makes and can actually see some of the images that before where a frenzy of amber or red... installing in all of my games.

#19 7 years ago

Why no pics to help us without one yet?

#20 7 years ago

Will get some posted tomorrow....

#21 7 years ago

The Colordmd just looks awesome - the service and help from Randy was great and WOW what a difference!
    I resisted making this move and now i am going to convert all of my games with colordmd. Easy to install and update the program - can't recommend this highly enough.

20160711_203918_(resized).jpg20160711_203918_(resized).jpg

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

The Colordmd just looks awesome - the service and help from Randy was great and WOW what a difference...

+1, I have two of these units now, one in SM:VE and one in IM:VE love both of them. (although I have been caught looking at the colordmd and losing my ball down the center drain!!!!) don't know a fix for that one yet. LOL

oh yeah, and I am a dots XL guy...

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from AJB4:

The Colordmd just looks awesome - the service and help from Randy was great and WOW what a difference!
    I resisted making this move and now i am going to convert all of my games with colordmd. Easy to install and update the program - can't recommend this highly enough.

Congrats on your first purchase. I recommend getting one for SM and Tron next.
    I'm up to 7 displays and I cannot stop either.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

+1, I have two of these units now, one in SM:VE and one in IM:VE love both of them. (although I have been caught looking at the colordmd and losing my ball down the center drain!!!!) don't know a fix for that one yet. LOL
    oh yeah, and I am a dots XL guy...

Congrats on your purchases. I recommend getting one for Shadow and JD next.

#25 7 years ago

I used the dots on STTNG and WPT.

#26 7 years ago

Hi-res looks great on certain games - TSPP, for one. Really makes it pop like the actual cartoon.

3 years later
    #27 3 years ago

I accidentally changed some of the default settings on my ColorDMD for Metallica Pro when I installed yesterday.. Not sure what mode it is in now or if I can change both contrast and brightness. I remember seeing a color setting as well. I got the latest code in the board but it seems a bit dark. Was wondering if there is a good YouTube link to how to change settings. I think it is in HIRES as I don't see dots currently.
    Thanks

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

I accidentally changed some of the default settings on my ColorDMD for Metallica Pro when I installed yesterday.. Not sure what mode it is in now or if I can change both contrast and brightness. I remember seeing a color setting as well. I got the latest code in the board but it seems a bit dark. Was wondering if there is a good YouTube link to how to change settings. I think it is in HIRES as I don't see dots currently.
    Thanks

Update:

This is what worked best for me...

Set CONTRAST: 4
    Set BACKLIGHT: 5
    SET STYLE: HIRES

Not sure what the CONTRAST & BACKLIGHT default settings were for the DMD.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from CUJO:

Update:
    This is what worked best for me...
    Set CONTRAST: 4
    Set BACKLIGHT: 5
    SET STYLE: HIRES
    Not sure what the original CONTRAST & BACKLIGHT default settings were for the DMD.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-the-best-settings-for-colordmd?hl=fxdwg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.