(Topic ID: 204469)

What are the best light up star post lights and why?

By Whysnow

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Evilive69
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

90835f53b54718505ffd6a9e3d3f331ab7370367.png (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I am not much for blinging out a game but I have to admit that I have always wanted to try out some light up star posts on a game at least once.

It appears there are a variety of differnet ones out there.

Please share your opinions and links for what you like and have used. I would also like to hear the pros/cons of using each.

thanks in advance.

#2 6 years ago

Comet Pinball sells some that I have used numerous times and they all look great. There is also 12V ones you can buy that are brighter and can wire them into your slings so they light up when a ball contacts a sling.

Comet: http://www.cometpinball.com/4-SMD-6-3V-LIGHTED-POST-LIGHT-p/mtxpost.htm

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Soulrider911:

There is also 12V ones you can buy that are brighter and can wire them into your slings so they light up when a ball contacts a sling

How do you wire those up? Do they wire directly to the coils?

#4 6 years ago

If you want to go with the 12v ones yes, I soldered a connector to the left and right coil I can post A pic later this evening

#5 6 years ago

only interested in models that would be always on like GI.

Are the Comet version noticable easily once installed? Hard to tell from photos how much the white board/base sticks out to the eye. In the close up photos I seem to focus on it.

Also, how do they hold up over time?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Soulrider911:

If you want to go with the 12v ones yes, I soldered a connector to the left and right coil I can post A pic later this evening

That would be great. I have some 12 volt ones I would like to use for that purpose.

#7 6 years ago

They hold up great as far as i can tell and yes very easy to install. I do suggest soldering a connector to whatever source you use for power to the lights... alligator clips your just asking for one to pop off and touch something else and cause a short, but alligator clips will work. Here is a pic of them on my INDY, I usually color match to the post.

90835f53b54718505ffd6a9e3d3f331ab7370367.png (resized).jpg90835f53b54718505ffd6a9e3d3f331ab7370367.png (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

Yeah I would for sure solder to install permenantly.

That quick connect stuff is for people that dont know how to solder I would guess.

Anyone have experience for what star post colors weem tolight up the best? Some seem washed out/translucent in photos (could just be the pics?)

#9 6 years ago

I'll post another tonight I have green and yellow color matched and they both are very nice saturated color... not blown out.. is this pic... bad photo

#10 6 years ago

I thought these might be a great choice for TNA, but not sure if it would work (or look right having posts constantly lit) with the RGB lights.

At least the posts on TNA are clear, so you could have plenty of color options.

#11 6 years ago

Like the ones on HH ??

John

#12 6 years ago

I used some that pinball life sells. They were 6v and worked great hooked up to GI. The directions say that they can flash but they really dont, that's why piNiall life doesn't advertise them as flashing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-the-best-light-up-star-post-lights-and-why and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.