(Topic ID: 58241)

What are the best "Bang for the Buck pins" for a one pin collection???

By Mercury

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Jackontherocks
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

It doesn't matter what the game is. When you only have one, you WILL tire of it after a while.

I agree with this. As you say, some will last longer than others, but variety is a great thing when it comes to pins.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from bub2010:

I just skimmed over it, but don't think anyone referred to the section that specifically has the bang for the buck pins..
    http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/bangforbuck

Lol, good point

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I agree with this. As you say, some will last longer than others, but variety is a great thing when it comes to pins.

^^^^ This.

If I were just starting now, I'd make a list of 15 titles I want (which I would try to make by going out and playing them on location, if possible... if not possible, then by watching PAPA videos). Then, I'd start looking for the best deal on any of them.

Once I found it, I'd bring it home, play it 'til I was done... then trade and/or sell for the next one. That could take weeks to a month... to 6 months. Some pins would last longer than others.

Others can't tell you what to like. Just as an example... someone on this thread mentioned SG. I respect that they like the game... but, not me. I couldn't stand it.

Just my 2 cents.

#54 6 years ago

Or you could just go to PAPA next weekend and check some out. I am planning on going out... it would be my first time there. It is only about a 3 hour drive from central Ohio.

#55 6 years ago

Give Williams Getaway HSII a try, Its a keeper in my book.

#56 6 years ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Goldeneye or Batman Forever. Not the best bang-for-your-buck but still can be found around $2k.

#57 6 years ago

HEY EVERYONE THAT MENTIONED A PAT LAWLOR GAME, TSPP, OR JP IN THIS THREAD, did you notice the fact that the OP wants a game with a lot of flow?

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

If I were just starting now, I'd make a list of 15 titles I want (which I would try to make by going out and playing them on location, if possible... if not possible, then by watching PAPA videos). Then, I'd start looking for the best deal on any of them.

Honestly, this is what my suggestion always has been for those who are looking to get into collecting. Back when I started, I made a list of about 25 games that I knew that I wanted to own, and about 10 that I thought I might want to own. I then researched prices and put it to the side. Every time one of them would pop up cheaper than my list, I'd go out and pick it up.

It obviously works differently if you're only looking for one pin total, but it really isn't a bad idea to go about it in the same manner. For me at least, it made it so that I was always underpaying or at market for my games since I've started collecting, and I don't mean market as they, "I woke up and decided I must have a ____, who will sell it to me?!" It took me a five years to get certain machines, but I never overpaid.

#59 6 years ago

^^^ Yup. It's okay to ask opinions about certain titles... feedback is good. But I wouldn't go just on word of mouth. You gotta get your hands on it and play it first.

#60 6 years ago

Yes, Collin, some of us noticed that what he actually said was "I do prefer flow pins but need a list of pins that I can try and decide from there." So we're helping with building a reasonable list for the OP to try. By the way, my JP is stupid fast and my Lawlor NGG has tons of flow. He may not prefer those, but if he's never tried them then he wouldn't know if he does or not.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Honestly, this is what my suggestion always has been for those who are looking to get into collecting. Back when I started, I made a list of about 25 games that I knew that I wanted to own, and about 10 that I thought I might want to own. I then researched prices and put it to the side. Every time one of them would pop up cheaper than my list, I'd go out and pick it up.
    It obviously works differently if you're only looking for one pin total, but it really isn't a bad idea to go about it in the same manner. For me at least, it made it so that I was always underpaying or at market for my games since I've started collecting, and I don't mean market as they, "I woke up and decided I must have a ___, who will sell it to me?!" It took me a five years to get certain machines, but I never overpaid.

this is exactly the way to work it. well said. I do similar system. You can't be in a rush or have the "got to have it" mentality in this hobby, or you will pay through the ass and lose your ass when the bubble bursts. Which it's starting to do right now.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mercury:

best "bang for the buck"

best bang for your buck is to jump in your car and find a place with a pin . and a lady

#63 6 years ago

The best bang for the buck 1 pin "collection" (impossible by definition) would have to be the game you want the most. That's really the only way your collection has any chance of staying at 1.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this is exactly the way to work it. well said.

Thanks

Ironically, my list had dwindled to three games, and TWO of them basically fell in my lap in the last four weeks. The last one I'm kind of purposely not even looking for now.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

The best bang for the buck 1 pin "collection" (impossible by definition) would have to be the game you want the most. That's really the only way your collection has any chance of staying at 1.

Totally agree and that's what happened to me by searching 6 months for TFTC. Sure did everything go 100% no but in the end it came to be what I wanted. Always thought TZ would look good next to if since I love the show as well and if I cox squeeze one more to rotate in and out. Still waiting for pins to advance so I can buy a NIB when title, gameplay, etc all matches up. So many choices but I can't help but look or want the 90's era pins until drastic changes occur in new games being made and available besides limited runs to try before you buy, as the Cryptkeeper would say "If you know what I mean". Basically find a pin that is challenging but fun and not frustrating and my game does that for me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 125.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.50
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 18.95
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 259.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 239.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside