Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

p7895802_b_v8_aa (resized).jpg
    image-3 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheRudyB.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 4 years ago

Interesting that for all of the rock band/music themed pinballs out there that there are relatively few mentioned here. I think a big reason for that comes down to story.

The vast majority of the titles listed ultimately have built-in stories/bases for stories that many people are already familiar with. The designers play off that story and the images it invokes to create an immersive, integrated experience for the player to participate in.

Music, OTOH, from the average person's perspective, is a passive activity: most of us just listen to music that has been created; we do not get to participate in creating music for an AC/DC or an Iron Maiden or a Guns N' Roses. The closest we come to interacting with a band is at a live concert. So while we rock out to the music while playing, there is no inherent story accompanying the game which players are already familiar with so the designers must create a story/goals for the game. I humbly submit that's it's much harder to do this. I also acknowledge that when done well music games can be just as great as the best movie/TV show licensed games with pre-existing stories. And as we've all seen, games of each type can also be huge disappointments regardless of their license.

Tommy was a rare example of music that had a built-in story. Even if it did not have the huge pinball connection, there was a story in the music and I think that made it easier for folks to relate to a game based on it.

But it is interesting to see the relative lack of music/band-themed games showing up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheRudyB.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-the-all-time-best-themes-for-pinball-?tu=TheRudyB and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.