(Topic ID: 233136)

What are the 2 or 3 most essential mods for a new owner?

By brianmcculloh

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jorro
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

154687608145143186914 (resized).jpg
3ED4958A-9053-4F9D-8EFC-661E01649360 (resized).jpeg
7BD4E9FD-2101-43CA-89FE-56CA177F1725 (resized).jpeg
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

I just purchased my first Star Trek Pro and it's NIB, so I'm wondering what are the most essential mods to get started? Eventually I'd love to do all kinds of stuff, but what are those 2 or 3 mods you couldn't live without, or that really improve the gameplay or aesthetics or durability (e.g. cliffy's)? Another way to ask would be, which mods give the biggest return on investment?

#2 5 years ago

Wax the playfield. Install protectors and mylar. Put mylar down in the shooter lane and other potentially high wear areas.

#3 5 years ago

New balls

#4 5 years ago

Don't take the game out of the box.

#5 5 years ago

None of them will give any "return on investment". Pinball does not work like that. Every single play or $ you put on the game will decrease the "recovery" of your original purchase.

#6 5 years ago

You'll get a lot of answers. Most protect their playfield/plastics; I do that, plus a ColorDMD can't be beat! They really make the game pop. If you sell, you can pop it out and put it in another machine.

#7 5 years ago

Beer. Lots of beer.

#8 5 years ago

For a ST/Pro,I would suggest color dmd,and the "Vengeance" mod! I don't think Aurichs mods are still available! FF speakers also rock,and I use Pinnovators headphone mod! IMHO!!!!

#9 5 years ago

For myself I would avoid most mods entirely. I dont count mylar as a mod but would carefully consider its use.

For sure dont mod in a way that cannot be reverted to stock invisibly and easily.

If you want to add something or a bit of bling and you like it- its your game do whatever the heck you want. Just beware resale will take a hit if your mod is not reversible and that they basically dont add value to a game (who cares) so dont view them as an investment.

Toppers are not “mods” and can retain value if well done or widely known in the community.

Also- as others have said- wax regularly and check pinballs for wear and replace or tumble to renew whenever they look scratched.

#10 5 years ago

For Star Trek pro, the warp ramp defuser makes a big difference. Without it the arrow is hard to see.

#11 5 years ago

ColorDMD hands down is #1 on the list.

#12 5 years ago

Really noob question: should I wax the playfield prior to playing it the first time? Or should I just wax it regularly thereafter? (i.e. does it come waxed? lol - don't make fun of me plz)

So what I'm hearing is:

1) Wax/mylar/balls
2) ColorDMD
3) Warp ramp diffuser or vengeance mod

#13 5 years ago

They do not come waxed. Definitely wax it before play, as that extra layer of protection will cut down on the areas the ball might tend to wear. And Mylar as mentioned before.

#14 5 years ago

Shaker
Color DMD
External Sub

#15 5 years ago

I wouldn’t mess with waxing or Mylar. Better balls are a must though.
You can wax when you give it its first cleaning, approx 1000 plays.

#16 5 years ago

I’ve got shaker, colordmd and alternate translite. This is my wife’s favorite pin!

7BD4E9FD-2101-43CA-89FE-56CA177F1725 (resized).jpeg7BD4E9FD-2101-43CA-89FE-56CA177F1725 (resized).jpeg
#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

I’ve got shaker, colordmd and alternate translite. This is my wife’s favorite pin!
[quoted image]

Glad to hear it! One of the reasons I went with this pin is because of how accessible it seems to be. I really want my wife and kids playing it so I have some high scores to maintain!

Quoted from EricHadley:

I wouldn’t mess with waxing or Mylar. Better balls are a must though.
You can wax when you give it its first cleaning, approx 1000 plays.

So are you saying the balls it comes with are not good enough? If so, where should I purchase new ones?

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from brianmcculloh:

So are you saying the balls it comes with are not good enough?

From what I've seen posted, the balls that stern uses are junk and get scratched up quickly. You don't want to use balls that are scratched up, otherwise it starts wearing down the playfield faster.

I like to use carbon steel balls from ballbaron.com as my first choice, and PBResource as a backup if ballbaron is out of stock.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

From what I've seen posted, the balls that stern uses are junk and get scratched up quickly. You don't want to use balls that are scratched up, otherwise it starts wearing down the playfield faster.
I like to use carbon steel balls from ballbaron.com as my first choice, and PBResource as a backup if ballbaron is out of stock.

Never would have guessed that, thanks for the heads up! Would this specific one work? https://ballbaron.com/product/ninja-super-shiny-chrome-pinball-g10/

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Shaker
Color DMD
External Sub

This ^

+ I’ll add invisiglass. Makes the playfield look high def.

#21 5 years ago

Never would have guessed that, thanks for the heads up! Would this specific one work? https://ballbaron.com/product/ninja-super-shiny-chrome-pinball-g10/

Yes for about 10 plays and get stuck in the shooter trough. I would get carbon like force flow said.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Yes for about 10 plays and get stuck in the shooter trough. I would get carbon like force flow said.

Ah I missed that. Just ordered some, thanks again!

#23 5 years ago

I just purchased my first Star Trek Pro and it's NIB, so I'm wondering what are the most essential mods to get started? Eventually I'd love to do all kinds of stuff, but what are those 2 or 3 mods you couldn't live without, or that really improve the gameplay or aesthetics or durability (e.g. cliffy's)? Another way to ask would be, which mods give the biggest return on investment?

Hey you're in my neck of the woods! I'm on the west side of Indy as well. I think shaker and ColorDMD are the biggest "bang for your buck" mods. I've actually got a lightly used ColorDMD that I was going to put up for sale, I can come over and help install it if you're interested. Plus answer/help with any general ?s you have. PM me if you're interested!

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Beer. Lots of beer.

Gonna need a cup holder for that beer!
That’s the first thing I put on a pin.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Cdemuro:

For Star Trek pro, the warp ramp defuser makes a big difference. Without it the arrow is hard to see.

+1. It works and cheap. In general, I would save your money for the next pin. Easy to blow hundreds on stuff that adds no value to the game. I wouldn't even worry about replacing the balls unless they are scratched/dinged up. If you do get new balls, look for ones that don't magnetize. Colordmd is the one exception. It's expensive but always has value since it can be moved to any game. I would of put one on my ST pro if I kept it.

#27 5 years ago

Glad to hear it! One of the reasons I went with this pin is because of how accessible it seems to be. I really want my wife and kids playing it so I have some high scores to maintain!

So are you saying the balls it comes with are not good enough? If so, where should I purchase new ones?

Ball baron carbons are the best choice. Since the game has a magnet you can’t use the ninjas as they will become magnetized.
https://ballbaron.com/product/pinball-carbon/

#28 5 years ago

pinstadium lights are a must.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

pinstadium lights are a must.

Oh God I was waiting for someone to start with that crap.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Oh God I was waiting for someone to start with that crap.

No I think he has a point. Brand new Sterns are very dim and hard to see.

#31 5 years ago

Other positives with the Color DMD, Shaker, and Subwoofer- they are not permanent and could be removed and put into another game somewhere down the road...

#32 5 years ago

I would say put a color dmd on it first, that’s the best mod and one you get just about all your money back.

#33 5 years ago

Color DMD
PDI glass
External subwoofer
Shaker

#34 5 years ago

I can agree with most posts here. I'll chime in on a few.

Balls: I've seen lousy ones come in NIB Sterns. I've also seen ones that looked perfect that I tossed because I was nervous about the past lousy ones. No brainer at a very small price. I've been happy with Ballbaron.

Protection: While it's never a bad idea, I'm not sure it's necessary on a home use game. Your drops probably already have mylar from the factory, magnet and shooter lane wouldn't be a bad idea. If the game had a scoop I'd be buying a Mantis protector.

Color DMD: Not only adds a lot to the game, it's easily reversible and works on tons of games. Pricey at $400 plus shipping. I think it's worth it.

Invisiglass/PDI Glass: If I could afford it every pin I own would have it. Again, if you sell the game, put the original glass back in. It will work in any standard width game. Expensive.

Shaker: Short money, easily reversible, works in many games.

Aftermarket Speakers/Subwoofer: In a 1 pin collection maybe. Stock speakers don't sound bad on this game. I've upgraded a bunch of games speakers and added a sub to Metallica. Certainly don't notice it much when 4 or 5 games and a jukebox are on. Headphones sound better than any of the speaker upgrades in my opinion, though I don't find myself using it that much.

Cup Holder: Such a great idea. If you are a pinball drinker buy one for every game.

Side art: I like the side mirror or mirror blades. I put them on almost all of my games. Any game I've had with side art it ends up getting torn. Side mirrors get scratches, but nothing compared to a torn decal. These will leave 3 tiny screw holes, somewhat reversible.

I would stay away from playfield mods and toys. They can get expensive and typically add no value. If I'm buying a game and it has extra figures all over the place I'd just be wondering how I can get them all off. Everyone says the Vengeance mod is great, this may be an exception.

Other than the balls, none of these are necessary to enjoy the game. And the balls may be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to play the game until the new balls came in unless they visibly look bad. Clean the oil off the balls, give the playfield a quick wipe and inspection and enjoy! It's an awesome game.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I can agree with most posts here. I'll chime in on a few.
Balls: I've seen lousy ones come in NIB Sterns. I've also seen ones that looked perfect that I tossed because I was nervous about the past lousy ones. No brainer at a very small price. I've been happy with Ballbaron.
Protection: While it's never a bad idea, I'm not sure it's necessary on a home use game. Your drops probably already have mylar from the factory, magnet and shooter lane wouldn't be a bad idea. If the game had a scoop I'd be buying a Mantis protector.
Color DMD: Not only adds a lot to the game, it's easily reversible and works on tons of games. Pricey at $400 plus shipping. I think it's worth it.
Invisiglass/PDI Glass: If I could afford it every pin I own would have it. Again, if you sell the game, put the original glass back in. It will work in any standard width game. Expensive.
Shaker: Short money, easily reversible, works in many games.
Aftermarket Speakers/Subwoofer: In a 1 pin collection maybe. Stock speakers don't sound bad on this game. I've upgraded a bunch of games speakers and added a sub to Metallica. Certainly don't notice it much when 4 or 5 games and a jukebox are on. Headphones sound better than any of the speaker upgrades in my opinion, though I don't find myself using it that much.
Cup Holder: Such a great idea. If you are a pinball drinker buy one for every game.
Side art: I like the side mirror or mirror blades. I put them on almost all of my games. Any game I've had with side art it ends up getting torn. Side mirrors get scratches, but nothing compared to a torn decal. These will leave 3 tiny screw holes, somewhat reversible.
I would stay away from playfield mods and toys. They can get expensive and typically add no value. If I'm buying a game and it has extra figures all over the place I'd just be wondering how I can get them all off. Everyone says the Vengeance mod is great, this may be an exception.
Other than the balls, none of these are necessary to enjoy the game. And the balls may be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to play the game until the new balls came in unless they visibly look bad. Clean the oil off the balls, give the playfield a quick wipe and inspection and enjoy! It's an awesome game.

I have really taken to heart all of the advice so far, but good night - this is one of the most thoughtful and well-written posts I've ever read. Definitely gleaned a LOT and am highly appreciative of your expertise! Glad I already ordered some balls which will arrive probably around when I receive the game. I'm thinking the first major purchase will be the color DMD since that is pretty universally praised.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

I can come over and help install it if you're interested. Plus answer/help with any general ?s you have. PM me if you're interested!

This is what it’s all about!!

#37 5 years ago

Get some pin skates to move your pins around. Their inexpensive and easy to store.

#38 5 years ago

Color dmd, speaker lights and acrylics, new balls, blades-lighted if available, and a laseriffic or tilt topper

#39 5 years ago

Dup

#40 5 years ago

Wax, wax applicator, microfiber cloth... As far as fun stuff goes: color dmd, shaker motor, powered sub

#41 5 years ago

Another vote for colordmd !!

#42 5 years ago

My vote for first mod has to be speaker upgrade. Star Trek has a great soundtrack and the factory set up does not do it justice. Besides color dmd is good for the spectator not the player.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

None of them will give any "return on investment". Pinball does not work like that. Every single play or $ you put on the game will decrease the "recovery" of your original purchase.

I’m going to say I disagree with this as a general statement. A well protected and cared for game is going to get more back. Plus it is going to be more fun to play over the years that you own it. The “recovery” of the original purchase will be mostly dictated by the market. But when someone looks at a dirty worn game, and compares it to a beautiful well kept and protected game, they will buy the good one first.

Plus, I look at pinball as a multigenerational hobby. I have games in my house that are almost 50 years old. Everything I can do to help them last another 50 is worth it. I really don’t care what you think of my game, but I care that in 2068 long after I’m dead someone might remove a Cliffy I put on my game and say “Nice shooter lane” as he puts on the new Electromagnetic Repulsion MK2 Cliffy. We are just stewards of these games during our time with them. Try to have them leave your house a bit better than they came in.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

We are just stewards of these games during our time with them. Try to have them leave your house a bit better than they came in.

Amen!

And if we do the same to the places we visit or live in we make the world a better place!

#45 5 years ago

I think the best mods are...

PDI glass or similar (Let the wars begin!). You literally look through it constantly. It’s THE best addition to any game, old or new.

Speaker Upgrades and external Sub. It’s what you listen to. I did most of mine with the Pinnovators coin door volume and headphones kit. It’s not the cheapest solution, but it’s very slick and easy to install.

Beyond that, it’s all eye candy, and will mostly not add anything to the play experience.

I COMPLETELY disagree with the Cliffy, Mantis, Mylar protector crowd. Who gives a shit if your pinball machine shows signs of wear?!! I have a HUO LOTR. Had it since 2004. When I clean it, it looks almost brand new. Most protectors effect ball movement in some way. The Mantis protectors do a slightly better job by being recessed in the scoops... but they are a PITA to install in many cases. You are unlikely to play your HUO machine enough to cause ANY noticeable wear.

If you sell the machine years from now, and somebody complains that there is slight wear around a scoop, or dimpling, or shooter lane wear... Laugh a hearty laugh, and tell them to get real. It’s a Pinball machine. You’re supposed to play it. It’s not a fu$&ing Museum exhibit.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

... It’s a Pinball machine. You’re supposed to play it. It’s not a fu$&ing Museum exhibit.

Man remember when the pinball world actually believed that? Good times!

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Man remember when the pinball world actually believed that? Good times!

Agree, we’ve gone way past essential.
Im a fan of incandescent lighting mods!!!
3ED4958A-9053-4F9D-8EFC-661E01649360 (resized).jpeg3ED4958A-9053-4F9D-8EFC-661E01649360 (resized).jpeg

#48 5 years ago

Totally agree woth MapleSyrup about cliffy and other protectors. They do offer great products and have their use. I just see no reason to put them on a nib pin that will see very limited use in a home environment. They can be a pain to install and change how the game plays. I put one on the scoop on my ST pro and hated how it made the shoot more difficult. On a game that is going to be routed hard or on a old game to cover some wear then maybe. Any well maintained home game will look just as good and play fine many years from now. There are still huo pins out there that have had basically no maintenance and still look brand new out there. Any slight hint of wear or slightly worn shooter lane is not going to bother anyone on a 20 or 50 year old game.

#49 5 years ago

NO metal protectors anywhere my #1 rule

New Balls at outset

Then play away. Wax it after about 1k plays like Wacky says

Remember, if you play it so much and go so much enjoyment out of it you can always replace the PF 10 yrs from now IF you can actually play it enough to wear it down!

Put some Mylar or self adhesive felt in the shooter lane

#50 5 years ago

ColorDMD
Shaker
Blades

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-the-2-or-3-most-essential-mods-for-a-new-owner?hl=brianmcculloh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.