(Topic ID: 210847)

What are some of the unique little added features on some EMs?

By Eph1fifty

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Stoomer
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D2875DB4-9834-42EC-BA51-F86E2E77D58B (resized).jpeg
671C692F-AEC7-4456-8B4F-FCAA3C90A94C (resized).jpeg
63E06E4C-4D8C-4A59-8AB0-2152E9C8F5F4 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1246 (resized).JPG
image-8 (resized).jpg
IMG_0742 (resized).JPG
IMG_0718 (resized).jpg
IMG_0717 (resized).jpg
IMG_0716 (resized).jpg
IMG_0714 (resized).jpg
IMG_0715 (resized).jpg
IMG_0713 (resized).jpg
image-4 (resized).jpg
Genco Springtime 4 (resized).jpg
Genco Springtime 3 (resized).jpg
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

First game with an on playfield reel was Fiesta and there were several more after that in different incarnations.

#52 6 years ago

Star feature was only used on four games and gave you an opportunity to win up to 200 free games for one extra coin.

http://www.ipdb.org/glossary.php#Star_Feature

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from oldtowner:

Hi Ken, that story made me laugh too. You've sold 77 games? Wow. Played my Flipper Parade today, need to tune up the bumpers.

Here's my sorted past, Purchased (month year), sold, purchased price. Of course there are a couple of more columns on my tracking sheet for $s invested, sold, profit etc. This doesnt list the 13 games I currently own. I have numbers behind some game names, ive gone thru 4 grand slams etc

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I moved last year, had to sell of quite a number... Quite a number of these I restored back to beautiful condition before selling.

#54 6 years ago

Every game I've owned on that list, I sold too.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Eph1fifty:

Love this hot line feature

Because Williams decided not to use a one point bell, the ball rolling all over those rollover buttons sounds like a popcorn machine.

I've thought about wiring a 1 point bell to them but I've left it alone.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Here's my sorted past, Purchased (month year), sold, purchased price. Of course there are a couple of more columns on my tracking sheet for $s invested, sold, profit etc. This doesnt list the 13 games I currently own. I have numbers behind some game names, ive gone thru 4 grand slams etc

I moved last year, had to sell of quite a number... Quite a number of these I restored back to beautiful condition before selling.

Ken, I assume this list includes "our" Sky Jump that you spent so much time restoring, only to have it basically disintegrate on you?

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Ken, I assume this list includes "our" Sky Jump that you spent so much time restoring, only to have it basically disintegrate on you?

One of the sky jumps in the disposition column had a "parted out" notation As well as OuterSpace. A couple others were traded in traded out etc

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Chuck_Sherman:

Top Hand/Full House.
Student Prince has a single reel.
Any others?

These are all of the games listed on the IPDB that have slot machine reels. Some are in the back box.
I had a Playmatic Speakeasy with slot reels in the head. Fun game.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?ft=slot+machine&sortby=name&searchtype=advanced

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

These are all of the games listed on the IPDB that have slot machine reels.

Unfortunately that list is far from complete.
An early EM flipper pin with multiple slot reels on the PF was BLY Wild Wheels in 1966.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

This summary sheet of pinball milestones was being handed out at Texas Pinball Festival (or Houston Arcade Expo) last year or 2 yrs ago. I believe Mr. Dan Ferguson was handing out pinball info during his e-m pinball machine trouble shooting class.

A couple of possible errors in the list
GTB changed over to metal legs in mid 1956 with Auto Race, followed by Register and Flag Ship and Rainbow in 1956
Bally still continued to use wooden legs for all pins and bingos released in 1957. WMS did change over to metal legs in early 1957 with Arrowhead.
Also a little misleading when it states Williams increased the flipper size from 2 inch to present day 3 inches in 1968,
when in fact WMS Hayburners II in Aug 68 did experiment with 3 in flippers, but WMS continued to use 2 inch flippers on about 5 games in late 68 & early 69 until PostTime in April 1969 when they made a more complete switch to 3 inch flippers on all games there after. (albeit Suspense had both 2in and 3in flippers).

#61 6 years ago

Slingshots that shoot the ball back into the playfield instead of at each other (Strange World). The slings are turned much more upward so that the ball gets shot back into the field instead of the opposing sling. Makes for a better game.

#62 6 years ago

Not suer if that was mentioned yet, but the ball launches directly from the outhole into the field. No shooter lane needed (like Big Hit and some others).

#63 6 years ago

think majorettes was the only game to have a kickout hole between the flippers

16 (resized).jpg16 (resized).jpg

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

think majorettes was the only game to have a kickout hole between the flippers

Playfield (resized).jpgPlayfield (resized).jpg

#65 6 years ago

1957 Williams Arrow Head is not the only, but I believe it to be the first game that has a kicker between and below the flippers.

#66 6 years ago

One of my favorite unique features is the backglass bagatelle in the 1952 Genco Springtime. Flippers keep the playfield pinball in play while you hit various bumpers to advance glass marbles onto an elevator where they are subsequently collected on a trough in the backglass. The marbles on the trough are released when you lose the playfield ball through the rollover between the flippers. At this time, the collected marbles fall through a bagatelle (similar to Genco's 400 or Silver Chest) and land in various lanes.
You will replays (payout) depending upon the number of lanes that get lit. Should you get 1-12 lit, you'll get 20 replays...a feat that I've seen once in all the years that I have owned this game, but winning a few replays occasionally does happen.

I made a video from a few years ago that sort of shows the unique game play:

Genco Springtime 2 (resized).jpgGenco Springtime 2 (resized).jpg

Genco Springtime 3 (resized).jpgGenco Springtime 3 (resized).jpg

Genco Springtime 4 (resized).jpgGenco Springtime 4 (resized).jpg

#67 6 years ago

I was amazed the first time I played Gottlieb's Baseball and saw the backbox advance players around the field, and the game tracked game score and runs.

#68 6 years ago

The Light shows on Bally Sky Rocket and Fire cracker. Don't know of any other EM's that had them.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

1957 Williams Arrow Head is not the only, but I believe it to be the first game that has a kicker between and below the flippers.

arrow doesn't have it between the flippers really, it is more down the center. but i will give you 1/2 credit due to it does have flipers and does have a kickout hole. was that the arrow you got from don? i was tempted to get it when he had it

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

arrow doesn't have it between the flippers really, it is more down the center. but i will give you 1/2 credit due to it does have flipers and does have a kickout hole. was that the arrow you got from don? i was tempted to get it when he had it

Yeah that's the Arrow I got from Don. It's right up there as one of my top woodrail players. Yes the kicker is below the flippers is what I meant.

Lady Robin Hood is the one with the kickout hole between the flippers.

Not mentioned yet is 21 that plays like blackjack against the dealer and your card score is kept on two score reels, while your point score is traditional light scoring. There were a couple more similar to that.

#71 6 years ago

A few EMs have the outhole shoot the ball into play. At the start of each ball the right flipper button kicks the ball out. Pro Football, Gridiron, maybe others?
With no so shooter lane, it gives more space for the playfeild. I would love to see modern pins with this as it allows for more room for more shots. Shooter lanes take alot of space- for little value.

#72 6 years ago

This is one that is very unique and was probably only used on one game.

Williams Nine Sisters has a "whirlygig" where a lower kicker propels the ball through it and a second kicker under the whirlygig propels the ball to the top of the playfield.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1679

image-4 (resized).jpgimage-4 (resized).jpg

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Wizard!, Flip Flop and SlapStick had "flip flags". Don't know of any other Ballys that had them. Sure I'll be corrected.

Those are it. And recall that Slap Stick was not produced in volume. It never had a flyer made.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This is one that is very unique and was probably only used on one game.
Williams Nine Sisters has a "whirlygig" where a lower kicker propels the ball through it and a second kicker under the whirlygig propels the ball to the top of the playfield.
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1679

that "whirlygig" looks suspiciously like a ramp to me!

#75 6 years ago

I recently purchased an Exhibit Supply "Lancer" from Feb 1940. I was pretty blown away by all of the tech in the game:

Magnet (operated by contact switch in middle)
Stepper motors (4 of them)
Timed gameplay (with some funky hydraulic pump that is configurable)
Automated free games (earned by gameplay)
Operator configured coin or free play
Knocker (solenoid + captive ball in wooden box)
A/C powered or battery powered

IMG_0713 (resized).jpgIMG_0713 (resized).jpg

IMG_0715 (resized).jpgIMG_0715 (resized).jpg

IMG_0714 (resized).jpgIMG_0714 (resized).jpg

IMG_0716 (resized).jpgIMG_0716 (resized).jpg

IMG_0717 (resized).jpgIMG_0717 (resized).jpg

IMG_0718 (resized).jpgIMG_0718 (resized).jpg

IMG_0742 (resized).JPGIMG_0742 (resized).JPG

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Timed gameplay (with some funky hydraulic pump that is configurable)

That timer was very common feature on older push slide coin operated games. I think the point of it was to shut the game off when it wasn't in use. Sucks when you start an excellent game and get a little sidetracked and then it shuts off before you are done.

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

I was amazed the first time I played Gottlieb's Baseball and saw the backbox advance players around the field, and the game tracked game score and runs.

How about a pinball machine with an actual mechanical running man unit?

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2209

image-8 (resized).jpgimage-8 (resized).jpg

#78 6 years ago

Lest we not forget the pop-up ball blocker in between the flippers.
I like games with this feature, usually Williams.IMG_1246 (resized).JPGIMG_1246 (resized).JPG

#79 6 years ago

How about a pin with retractable shuffle alley bowling pins?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#80 6 years ago

‘Spot-em’ Feature, advertised on Gottlieb’s 1953 ‘Quintette’ flyer. Not sure if used elsewhere. ??

Quintette has 5 gobble holes to light (among many other ways to win). At the start of every game it randomly ‘spots’ you one already lit, but occasionally two (I think a 1-10 chance).

A setting in the head can be adjusted more liberal and give two lit at start, with the occasional three.

Kind of neat when you start a game and you have a little bonus right away.

Maybe other games have something similar?

That’s all I got

63E06E4C-4D8C-4A59-8AB0-2152E9C8F5F4 (resized).jpeg63E06E4C-4D8C-4A59-8AB0-2152E9C8F5F4 (resized).jpeg

11 months later
#81 5 years ago

The "1110 When Lit" rollovers on Gottlieb's Lucky Hand and Lucky Card which play the wonderful three-chime tune.

#82 5 years ago

1967 Gottlieb 2 player SUPER SCORE

671C692F-AEC7-4456-8B4F-FCAA3C90A94C (resized).jpeg671C692F-AEC7-4456-8B4F-FCAA3C90A94C (resized).jpeg

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

1949 GTB Sharpshooter: https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2112

One of the two I made out of 2 and a half games: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q9dsaBROVXeF8iVB3

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-some-of-the-unique-little-added-features-on-some-ems/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.