(Topic ID: 210847)

What are some of the unique little added features on some EMs?

By Eph1fifty

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Stoomer
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D2875DB4-9834-42EC-BA51-F86E2E77D58B (resized).jpeg
671C692F-AEC7-4456-8B4F-FCAA3C90A94C (resized).jpeg
63E06E4C-4D8C-4A59-8AB0-2152E9C8F5F4 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1246 (resized).JPG
image-8 (resized).jpg
IMG_0742 (resized).JPG
IMG_0718 (resized).jpg
IMG_0717 (resized).jpg
IMG_0716 (resized).jpg
IMG_0714 (resized).jpg
IMG_0715 (resized).jpg
IMG_0713 (resized).jpg
image-4 (resized).jpg
Genco Springtime 4 (resized).jpg
Genco Springtime 3 (resized).jpg
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Starting this topic to see all the little design features that were somewhat uncommon and unique that were incorporated over the years.

For instance Suspense and a-go-go's roulette wheel. Or, Spanish eyes center loop.

#2 6 years ago

I like the wireform roller coaster in lane things on Gottlieb's Roller Coaster.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

I always liked 4 million bc, and Fireball. For being EM games they had an actual skill shot, zipper flippers, 3 ball multi ball, gates that close for a ball save. Lots of cool stuff back then.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I like the wireform roller coaster in lane things on Gottlieb's Roller Coaster.
LTG : )

Do you know if Roller Coaster was the only EM with these?

#5 6 years ago

Wizard!, Flip Flop and SlapStick had "flip flags". Don't know of any other Ballys that had them. Sure I'll be corrected.

#6 6 years ago

Bagatelles in a few backboxes. Williams Apollo I think?

A lot of the earlier Gottliebs had weird animated backglasses like dancing lady

Doodle Bug has the doodle bug?

Gator on Nip It

I always thought the black drops on Fast Draw were a cool feature, even if most people never see them in action.

#7 6 years ago

The Doodle Bug along with the flipper gaps on, uh, Doodle Bug.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Eph1fifty:

I have seen them on early wood rails as I recall.

I think there was already an EM features thread a year or two ago?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Bagatelles in a few backboxes. Williams Apollo I think?
A lot of the earlier Gottliebs had weird animated backglasses like dancing lady
Doodle Bug has the doodle bug?
Gator on Nip It
I always thought the black drops on Fast Draw were a cool feature, even if most people never see them in action.

The knock down feature also appeared on Jacks open to leave only the royal flush standing.

Gottlieb animated the roll over lanes apron lights off the score motor on Flying Carpet.

#10 6 years ago

Zipper flippers.

#11 6 years ago

Hitting a blue white pair of drop targets on Atlantis for a 5000 pt bonus, only used once.

#12 6 years ago

I rather like the sequence flashing of the Flying Carpet upper lane guide lights on each rotation of the score motor.

#13 6 years ago

I bought my Williams Travel Time because of the unique premise of the game. There is a big clock in the middle of the playfield. (and yes, you can tweak how fast the clock ticks down)

Traditionally, a pinball game was over after 3 balls. On Travel Time, as long as you have time on the clock, the game keeps going. If you can keep hitting the targets to add time to the clock, you could go through a dozen+ balls in a game.

#14 6 years ago

I like the "Rotary Flipper" (which Bally also called "Spinner Bumper") found on Rocket III. I thought it was unique to that game but researching this reply see it featured on others of that era including "Loop-the-Loop" and "Six Shooter"

#15 6 years ago

I don't know if it's unique to Fast Draw and Quick Draw regarding EM's but on those two games, the drops reset in two different arrangements and the center drops on either side have two different point values (1K or 5K) depending. I always thought it was way ahead of it's time for 1975 and you don't see games utilizing individual drop target changes again until games like Alien Poker and Eight Ball Deluxe.

In the same regard, a lot of foreign solid state games from 1983 and 1984 utilized "ramps that fed flippers" in machines that eventually made their way in to games like Space Shuttle and High Speed. I realize there were some "ramps" in EM games but the few that I've seen didn't really feed a flipper shot.

Bally Star-Jet has a cool "blast off" multiball feature where the balls are held in saucers on the play field until you hit the "blast off" targets to start multiball play.

#16 6 years ago

Zodiac has a magnet
swinging targets are cool as far back as Gay 90s
Six digit scoring! (you like cleaning score reels? Here's 20 of 'em sucker!)
Fireball has a bunch of cool stuff (multiball, spinning disc, zipper flippers, left kickback and right gate return).

My least favorite "innovation" of all time has to be the roulette wheel. They are usually pointless random awards, slow game play to a crawl, and are used way too much.

#17 6 years ago

Flying Turns and Race-Way both have a backbox animation where cars race around track, pulled by magnets.

The Hayburners pins also have an animated diorama in the backbox.

1301892167 (resized).jpg1301892167 (resized).jpg

hayburn1 (resized).jpghayburn1 (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Eph1fifty:

Starting this topic to see all the little design features that were somewhat uncommon and unique that were incorporated over the years.

This summary sheet of pinball milestones was being handed out at Texas Pinball Festival (or Houston Arcade Expo) last year or 2 yrs ago. I believe Mr. Dan Ferguson was handing out pinball info during his e-m pinball machine trouble shooting class.

pinball-milestones (resized).jpgpinball-milestones (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago

1963 SweetHearts last of the gobble holes...

#20 6 years ago

Was Neptune (in Novelty mode) the only game to feature 5 rapid knocker strikes for scoring 50K points?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Was Neptune (in Novelty mode) the only game to feature 5 rapid knocker strikes for scoring 50K points?

I haven’t tried novelty mode on my Lucky Hand, but the other instruction cards say WOWs are worth 50k points, just like Neptune. I’ll have to check my schematic to see if the knocker is in circuit with the 10k relay. I’m presuming it probably is.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

I rather like the sequence flashing of the Flying Carpet upper lane guide lights on each rotation of the score motor.

I liked this feature enough to wire in the other 4 lane guides, (Y, R, left and right side drains). Looks great! '55 Gtb. Sluggin' Champ and '63 Sweethearts are other games that have score motor-driven flashing playfield illumination.

Another rare feature is the "All-Rollover Special," available only on Gtb. Sweethearts and North Star, (as far as I know).

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Eph1fifty:

Williams used the wireform on a couple pre-flipper games including Cyclone. The most memorable and desirable flipper game with a wireform habitrail is 1953s Williams Skyway.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2206

Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

This summary sheet of pinball milestones was being handed out at Texas Pinball Festival (or Houston Arcade Expo) last year or 2 yrs ago. I believe Mr. Dan Ferguson was handing out pinball info during his e-m pinball machine trouble shooting class.

The list shows Bally as introducing the pop bumper, but I can't find any reference to what game it was. To the best of my knowledge, Williams Saratoga was the first.
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2055&picno=7433

Quoted from pinhead52:

1963 SweetHearts last of the gobble holes...

San Fransisco was the last.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2049

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

In the late 40s the knocker was not used to indicate replays. It was used as a "drumroll" sound effect on games such as Ali Baba and Buccanneer along with a few others. Max out and collect the bonus on Buccanneer and the knocker rattles of a ridiculous amount of times.

#25 6 years ago

Williams Thunderbird has a really cool wireform,too. Its a beautiful machine from playfield to backglass.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Robo1:

Williams Thunderbird has a really cool wireform,too. Its a beautiful machine from playfield to backglass.

Now we're really getting into the unobtainable. lol. I looked for a long time for one. I think there was one at that big auction a few weeks back.

Another game from that era of Williams, Big Ben has a bagatelle at the bottom of the playfield.

Not mentioned yet are the disappearing pop bumpers on Gusher and Sea Wolf along with a couple others.

I'm still quite found of the swinging target on Magic Clock, the first game to have one, although they became pretty common after that. And drop targets that progressively increase in value up to a special on several 60s games.

#27 6 years ago

The backglass cannon that fires a pinball as a cannon ball, when the game starts and when adding a ball. Who will be first to name that game?

#28 6 years ago

Making '4 corners' on the tic-tac-toe board on Williams Gulfstream was adjustable for up to 3 replays or extra balls (made for some fun risk-reward strategy)

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from oldtowner:

The backglass cannon that fires a pinball as a cannon ball, when the game starts and when adding a ball. Who will be first to name that game?

oh come on... Flipper Parade of course

#30 6 years ago

A second target behind a drop target, referred to as "New Back-up Targets" in the 1977 Team One and Kicker flyers, these are called dip targets in the parts catalog.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#31 6 years ago

A gobble hole behind a drop target on Jumpin' Jacks. I believe they were simply referred to as "gobble holes".

image-22 (resized).jpgimage-22 (resized).jpg

#32 6 years ago

1956 Fun House is an EM with a one of a kind feature not used on another game until the sequel Funhouse in 1990.

A trap door, or in this case three of them.

image-2 (resized).jpgimage-2 (resized).jpg

#33 6 years ago

Ball return gates, directing the ball back to the shooter lane.

#35 6 years ago

Or even a game where 9 dancers lift up their skirts.
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3815

image-12 (resized).jpgimage-12 (resized).jpg

#36 6 years ago

How about line voltage at the coin door switch? (Not all, but on a bunch of old Gottliebs)

#37 6 years ago

About the most unique thing I ever found on a Gottlieb were these little guys. Only used on two games.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1607&picno=28228

And the rock em sock em robots on Knock Out.

#38 6 years ago

Hi Pinhead - I didn't say the answer would be hard - just interested to see who would get there first. Congratulations, you did. And if the "52" part of Pinhead means what i think it might, maybe you even played Flipper Parade back when it was new?

#39 6 years ago

The "Snap" targets on the 1968 Royal guard & Palace guard pins

#41 6 years ago

Not completely accurate.
Elektra was the first Tri-level playfield
Haunted House is more popular, but came out 2nd.

Love the list though!

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Not completely accurate.
Elektra was the first Tri-level playfield
Haunted House is more popular, but came out 2nd.
Love the list though!

But the top or bottom level (can't remember) had a captive ball. In Haunted House, the ball traveled all thee levels.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

But the top or bottom level (can't remember) had a captive ball. In Haunted House, the ball traveled all thee levels.

That is correct. Elektra's under playfield has a ball down there all the time. Sort of a bonus round at the end of ball, but it is a tri-playfiled nonetheless and did come out prior to Haunted House.
Yes, HH the ball physically moves between all three playfields.

Sorry, off topic a bit. On with the EM innovations!

#44 6 years ago

Cool thread! I've not seen any mention of the rotating platter of pop-bumpers on Williams' Nags:

Nor the mirrored-reveal backglass on games like 3D, Jungle, and others:

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from oldtowner:

Hi Pinhead - I didn't say the answer would be hard - just interested to see who would get there first. Congratulations, you did. And if the "52" part of Pinhead means what i think it might, maybe you even played Flipper Parade back when it was new?

Actually I was 52 when I jumped into rgp then pinside. Games I remember from my childhood include Miss Annabell and TurfChamp as well as a baseball pitch and bat that had no hold relay. We would have 1 kid play a game and another with one hand on the plug. If the ball was going for an out hole we could rip out the plug, the out wouldnt register and plug the game back in and carry on playing. Play all day on 1 nickel.

I owned a Flipper Parade 10 years ago, a fun little game. I currently own 13 games but checking my records Ive bought and sold 77 games over the years.

Ken

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

We would have 1 kid play a game and another with one hand on the plug. If the ball was going for an out hole we could rip out the plug, the out wouldnt register and plug the game back in and carry on playing. Play all day on 1 nickel.

*LOL* Fantastic! Thanks for sharing, Ken, but how the heck did you guys figure that out?

#47 6 years ago

Hi Ken, that story made me laugh too. You've sold 77 games? Wow. Played my Flipper Parade today, need to tune up the bumpers.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Nor the mirrored-reveal backglass on games like 3D, Jungle, and others:

You just weren't paying attention then.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3815

#49 6 years ago

IMG_1341 (resized).JPGIMG_1341 (resized).JPG

Slot-machine device on Yukon, Klondike, several others.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Slot-machine device on Yukon, Klondike, several others.

Top Hand/Full House.
Student Prince has a single reel.

Any others?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-some-of-the-unique-little-added-features-on-some-ems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.