(Topic ID: 134481)

What are some of the best EM rule sets and why?

By Atomicboy

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by bonzo71
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I would like some recommendations for some of the best rules in an EM. Which machines have the best strategy and depth?

#2 8 years ago

Here's something to think about.......

All manufacturers?
    50's?
    60's?
    70's?
    2" flipper games?
    3" flipper games?
    Do you like certain features such as drop targets, etc.?

Do you have any preferences?

#3 8 years ago

1976 Gottlieb Spirit of 76 is a good one.
    The game begins with a focus on drop targets (Located on lower PF) to light bonus hole features. Once targets are down then you attempt the risky bonus hole shot. When you make the shot (and don't drain) then the focus is star roll-over on the upper PF to build your bonus back up for another risky hole shot.

Then there's the famous 4x bonus available for every last ball for a not anticipated come from behind win.
    Both the electronic ruleset and layout work very well together.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from SteveFury:

1976 Gottlieb Spirit of 76 is a good one.
    The game begins with a focus on drop targets (Located on lower PF) to light bonus hole features. Once targets are down then you attempt the risky bonus hole shot. When you make the shot (and don't drain) then the focus is star roll-over on the upper PF to build your bonus back up for another risky hole shot.
    Then there's the famous 4x bonus available for every last ball for a not anticipated come from behind win.
    Both the electronic ruleset and layout work very well together.

They got a lot more advanced near the end of EM's. Bronco/Mustang has similar rules to Spirit of 76.

#5 8 years ago

They did- but not all complexity was used to enhance depth of rules-

Your almost not going to get anywhere with this question, its been asked and answered so many ways by so many people (in slightly differently worded question/answers) that you would basically reconstruct the top 100 list plus a good many more.

You need to decide if your a drop target person, a toy person (EM's have great toys- Roto Targets, swinging targets, VariTargets etc etc), a spinner person, someone who needs an in game special, if you like long shots, open play fields, or tighter games with more varied objectives that maybe combine a bunch of elements. Would you enjoy a back box animation?

There are just sooooooooo many good games- and in my mind, with EM especially, the art work influences the game a bit more than even for a modern game- there is just more art and less game to look at.

I love the EM's I own, and I am very picky about what I buy, so check out my game list for what I like- I am not selling any of these (never say never).

I will say that of the games I don't own- you should check out Gottlieb Soccer

#6 8 years ago

Gottlieb Neptune has a simple, yet frustratingly difficult, rule set.

Simply roll over the switches that control the card lights. Once you have completed the red or black set, their respective roll overs become "WOW" targets. You can light all roll overs to award "WOW".

Now the beauty of Neptune is that you can have it set as an add-a-ball game or as a novelty. In the add a ball case, the "WOW" targets will add a ball to your game. In the novelty mode, the targets become worth 50,000 points and they trigger a knocker that fires three times.

In novelty mode, the game is intense when you set it to three ball. Because the entire objective is to get the "WOW" lit so that you can start racking up points.

The thrill of victory is lighting the "WOW" lanes and cracking 1 million+ points.
    The agony of defeat is lighting all but one or two cards and then draining ball three.

It's this mode that generates the sensation known as "pinball crack". You always want to take another taste!

Marcus

#7 8 years ago

I have really been taking a shine to AAB games lately. There is something elegant about winning another ball to give yourself a better game. And most of them keep it difficult enough to be fun.

#8 8 years ago

I'm a whatever guy. I like good rules, challenging rules. I'm getting more into EMs, but am almost all DMD in my 30 pin collection. I love great rulesets, that get addictive. I know that doesn't really help narrow things down.

I do love ripping spinners, and that is likely my favourite thing in EMs (they just aren't the same for current games as the sounds are not as intense as the ringing chimes for a good rip).

I guess I'm just looking for some of the more complicated rule sets out there, likely standard flipper size machines, no add-a-ball, as I play everything on 3 ball only, even the EM's I have now.

I just have no idea what I should be focusing on. I started buying a bunch, and given they are like a tenth the cost on avg as DMDs and ten times as easy to find, I feel I need to start quickly focusing here

#9 8 years ago

Jacks Open has a great rule set. Attempting to fill card hands (2 of a kind, 3 of a kind, full house, straight flush) and having resets after each completion, along with ensuring the roll overs on top are maxed (3 out of 4) for maximum drop target values (getting 4 out of 4 roll overs will cause a reset and lower the values). If you're having a good game you'll have a chance at the end for the Royal Flush and replays. Replays for high score and matches too of course. Open in-lanes are a killer for those not accustomed.

Atlantis and Volley are a couple more.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I'm a whatever guy. I like good rules, challenging rules. I'm getting more into EMs, but am almost all DMD in my 30 pin collection. I love great rulesets, that get addictive. I know that doesn't really help narrow things down.
    I do love ripping spinners, and that is likely my favourite thing in EMs (they just aren't the same for current games as the sounds are not as intense as the ringing chimes for a good rip).
    I guess I'm just looking for some of the more complicated rule sets out there, likely standard flipper size machines, no add-a-ball, as I play everything on 3 ball only, even the EM's I have now.
    I just have no idea what I should be focusing on. I started buying a bunch, and given they are like a tenth the cost on avg as DMDs and ten times as easy to find, I feel I need to start quickly focusing here

Williams GrandPrix is good if you like spinners, and has a decent ruleset for an EM. I owned one for awhile and loved it. Only thing I didn't like about it was the style of chimes they used. Clanky clunky sound....

#11 8 years ago

Gottlieb Snow Queen/Snow Derby/Bristol Hills

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2229

Ripping either of the two spinners advances your snowmobile driver around the track and increases your bonus for every lap achieved. Bonuses count down at the end of each ball. Rule sets tend to be a little shallower for multi-player games but still a fun game. Kinda hard to find this one. A few in the Midwest/Northeast. I have Snow Derby but it's in the restore que right now. This is the 1st game produced by Gottlieb with the bonus ladder (countdown).

A few other good 2" flipper games with good rule sets:

Dimension/2001
    Pop a Card/Drop a Card
    Target Pool

3" flipper games with good rule sets:

Atlantis
    Jacks Open/Lucky Hand
    Abra Ca Dabra/Team One
    El Dorado
    Captain Card
    Volley

#12 8 years ago

If you want a game with three inch flippers, a rippable spinner, and good rule set Bally's Bon Voyage is one that comes to mind as it is a single player game with a unique layout and the playfield does not reset after each ball. I had one for quite a while but decided I prefer older games with two inch flippers so sold it a while back.

Grand Prix as mentioned is a great multiplayer with a couple of the best spinners in pinball and has very good rules for a multiplayer machine and that is one I still have.

#13 8 years ago

Tough question!

Seems to me all EM's were built to cycle through their games quickly, so none will be very deep, unlike games from the '90's and newer, (capable of 30+ minute marathons). I would say to begin, replay game multiple-ball objectives, awarding full replays for achieving them are obviously deeper. Since the reward is much less on an AAB Game, and the manufacturers' intention of the player accomplishing them more often, their objectives aren't nearly as deep.

I think the early '50's games, ('51-'57), offering 4-5 sequences to complete, compared to later EM Games is about as "Deep" as you can have it for the mere idea of being close to completion on 1 or 2 of it's features, but far away on a few others. You almost have to re-assess your game before shooting each ball. Then, towards the end of a well played game, there is usually a single-shot target or drop-hole offering multiple replays if you happen to collect it, yet another level of "Depth" (that came to an end by the mid '60's).

I do like the Jacks Open suggestion in that it's sequence is progressive, resetting the drops several times before offering it's ultimate reward, but it is only 1 sequence and the same bank of targets.

Amazing how many "Flavors" of EM Pinball there is! The idea of "Depth" in Pinball could differ quite a bit from one guy to another.....

#14 8 years ago

Jacks Open to me is a great one. Still looking for one.

Grand Prix is another and that one I have.

#15 8 years ago

I think Boatcat is spot on - you won't find any deeper rules than buried in the 50's Wood rail games. But unfortunately, it was all about ways to earn multiple replays so it may not be all that great for today's home collector (if earning a Replay means nothing to you). Like he mentioned, there was often dual scoring systems (points and 100,000's) as well as Sequence Features which near the end of your game, required you to decide which feature you were closer to attaining.

King Kool/Rock offers similar spinner scoring to Snow Derby with the addition of the K-I-N-G sequence feature providing Double Bonus or even Triple on last ball. Additionally, there is an Extra Ball (Same Player Shoots again) and Special target that run off the bonus position. But they are made more difficult by also running off the 3 possible score motor stopping positions. A tempting as well as frustrating feature.

Dealer's Choice (Lucky Ace for AAB) is one I always mention in this discussion. It provides 2 sequence features (not often found on later EMs). One (5 target Royal Flush) provides the lighting of Extra Ball and then Special, while the other (1-9 roll over buttons) provides double and triple bonus as well as awarding its own special. Good Fast DC bumpers to boot.

And yes, Jacks Open if certainly tops on my list. The only other game I know of with Drop Targets with the knock-down-after-reset feature is Fast/Quick Draw.

#16 8 years ago

Definition of deep rules can vary from game to game depending on how the playfield is set up. For example some games from the 50s rely on you basically hitting the same four targets repeatedly but depending on in what order or how many times you hit each one you can win multiple free games. But on other machines there are many more targets to hit and winning free games is dependant on completing all or sets of them to light specials. On either there can be more than one way to complete those letters or numbers or cards or what have you.

#17 8 years ago

Thanks, I have a grand prix, havent set it up to get it working yet. That is one I was aware of.

#18 8 years ago

I enjoyed my Fun Land - first, you have to knock out the 10 ducks in the shooting gallery by hitting all the targets. Then, one target lights for Special, but it would move with every pop bumper hit, so you're always chasing after a different target. 2" flippers with a wide gap make it more of a challenge. Wedgeheads seem to feature more of these challenges, as opposed to score-based multi-players.

I'm also looking forward to getting my Flying Carpet up and running - spell "FLYING" and/or "CARPET" with standups and rollovers to light the specials.

Good luck with the Grand Prix - that one looks like a fun and intricate ruleset to master. I'd bet the schematic is about 10' long.

#19 8 years ago

If you have a Grand Prix already then you've got the spinner and long flipper thing covered. I would then recommend finding a quality game from the 60s with two inch flippers to compliment it.

Slick Chick is one of the deeper rule games from Gottlieb of this era that has several features like bumpers and rollover lanes that must be completed in order to advance in the game. Or maybe something like Williams Teachers Pet that requires hitting all shots on the playfield to light all the letters on the backglass but is none too easy to do.

#20 8 years ago

I know slick chick is popular, but it looks like one of those types where you just fire it up in the bumpers, and let it pop around and hope for the best - is it not? I looks great for sure.

I have Hokus Pokus, which has been my only EM for about 4 years. Prior to getting this, I used to look at games such as TA and other drop target things, and think that I was a drop target guy, but since getting this, and ripping spinners, I realised I love spinners. I lube em up and let em fly!

I have a Williams Winner I almost have working (in and out of working, I just really like the horse race under the PF), Grand Prix, Night Rider EM, a Joker Poker SS (I know, but is an EM really), and a Fireball Classic (again, SS but really an EM design with bonus and multiplier). Only HP and FBC are working, Winner I haven't worked on in a bit, and the others I just bought.

I'm exited about the NR, as I played this all weekend at Allentown 4-5 years ago, and loved it. The cab is well worn, but the PF isn't too bad.

I started a thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-have-rebooted-their-collection, and I'm still thinking about selling all DMDs and going EM/early SS, but right now I decided to fill my back room (space for 8-9) and see how I feel. As it is, I'm more interested in the ones mentioned than any others I have.

#21 8 years ago

On another note, I'm now looking back on all the really nice EMs for dirt cheap, I mean next to nothing at all I turned down

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I know slick chick is popular, but it looks like one of those types where you just fire it up in the bumpers, and let it pop around and hope for the best - is it not? I looks great for sure.

I had one for a while and it does have a great rule set but using the bumpers as targets turned out to be not my cup of tea after a while. Same with others that came over so I sold it. To me the deep rules are not as important as having to hit targets that are very difficult or games that are very hard to keep the ball in play. Those are the ones I keep going back to.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

I enjoyed my Fun Land - first, you have to knock out the 10 ducks in the shooting gallery by hitting all the targets. Then, one target lights for Special, but it would move with every pop bumper hit, so you're always chasing after a different target. 2" flippers with a wide gap make it more of a challenge. Wedgeheads seem to feature more of these challenges, as opposed to score-based multi-players.
    I'm also looking forward to getting my Flying Carpet up and running - spell "FLYING" and/or "CARPET" with standups and rollovers to light the specials.
    Good luck with the Grand Prix - that one looks like a fun and intricate ruleset to master. I'd bet the schematic is about 10' long.

Grand Prix's ruleset isn't difficult to figure at all. It has two bonus ladders that are advanced by the spinners, the upper kickout hole or switches by the lower kickout hole. The ladders to be scored by drain alternate by ball. The drop targets will, by dropping either A and B or C and D, first light double bonus, second time down, extra ball on the inlanes, and third or fourth ball (adjustable) lights the alternating special (outlanes). But you have to do it on the same ball, it all resets when you lose the ball.

What you want to do is run up both bonuses but collect the bonus on the side that is not lit by going into the kickout hole on that side. You're going to get the lit bonus side on ball drain, so if you collect that one and then lose the ball quickly, you've not only lost all the bonus on the unlit side, but you have little bonus left to collect on drain. Getting that double bonus lit is key.

The spinners on it are just fantastic, you hit them solidly and they'll spin for days. Run them up to 50k and they light for 1000 points per spin. It's a game that is great on three balls and really, really fun to play. Powerful pop bumpers with DC power.

#24 8 years ago

Williams Trade Winds is an amazing game designed be Steve Kordek with a good set of rules and takes real flipper and nudging skills to win on or even keep the ball in play. Not only are games awarded for point thresholds but there are other ways to light specials depending on compass rollovers hit or advancing on the map.

But the real treat in this game is a playfield map where the object is to sail to Tahiti from either Hawaii or San Francisco depending on setting it for three ball or five ball play with stops at Wake, Fuji, and Samoa along the way. A special will lite as you land on each of these islands but the goal is to get to Tahiti with only three ways on the playfield to advance. Either the center hole that advances three spots, or the rollover button or the lit top bumper that advances one spot. I've seen several people stand there for hours trying, but not often does anybody complete the voyage. See you in Tahiti!

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2621

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Williams Trade Winds is an amazing game

What a great sounding, great looking pin!

#26 8 years ago

It fits in well around here and it falls into the never leaving catagory. They are hard to find.

#27 8 years ago

Super spin is a cool game- (Jet spin = 4 player).

Center roto target is always 10X (up to 5 K per hit plus equal to bonus)- so thats a focus (also, capture hole right side is same as hitting center drop target but tougher shot)... but the roto moves during play by hitting a vari target (or lit lanes above pop or side lanes). If you hit vari hard enough to full stop- it lites special plus 5K target on far left (difficult shot) which is also 5K score plus 5K bonus + free game. Bonus ladder accumulates to 15K and at even bonus multipliers you light a free ball target which alternates play field sides... and if your maxed at 15K bonus AND THEN move roto to the star, you get a special every time you hit the star- just a great rule set- diverse scoring, toys- bonus, free balls, etc etc etc... but not an easy game. Never gets boring. You have to make shots top to bottom of play field

Concur with Grand Prix- ripping the spinners is simply amazing, the light and sound show it puts on for an EM is amazing. A little clankly like a Williams should be- and not nearly as deep as super spin but its like playing the slots at vegas- only if they had penny slots and your could win all the time, and just hear the coins dropping into the bin... its addictive.

Gottlieb Soccer is awesome with its backglass animation- and the rules are cool- love the progressive nature of the game, plays awesome as a 5 ball game- spinners, targets, pops, special, ball gate, very good game. I have a buddy with one of these and I can play it all night and leave wanting more.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I know slick chick is popular, but it looks like one of those types where you just fire it up in the bumpers, and let it pop around and hope for the best - is it not?

Not at all! It is actually a shooter's game as you'll find yourself constantly shooting for the left and right bullseye targets to spell "Slick" and "Chick." Spelling Slick Chick 5X and thereafter is a replay and will light the center drop hole special for 1 replay per side rollover 1-4 collected, (there's that single shot-multiple replay award again). The top center bullseye target is as you mentioned, a pop bumper hope-for-the-best shot.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Boatcat:

Not at all! It is actually a shooter's game as you'll find yourself constantly shooting for the left and right bullseye targets to spell "Slick" and "Chick." Spelling Slick Chick 5X and thereafter is a replay and will light the center drop hole special for 1 replay per side rollover 1-4 collected, (there's that single shot-multiple replay award again). The top center bullseye target is as you mentioned, a pop bumper hope-for-the-best shot.

I find EMs to be deceiving when looking at them sometimes, so this doesn't surprise me. Sometimes it seems like there is little to do, but there is, and other machines looks like they have a lot, but the rules are quite bland.

Slick's are hard to come by. I have had one offered to me, and it was not cheap! Seems many want this title.

#30 8 years ago

Fireball, Surf Champ and Atlantis

#31 8 years ago

Great thread and discussion, Thanks!

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I find EMs to be deceiving when looking at them sometimes, so this doesn't surprise me. Sometimes it seems like there is little to do, but there is

Funny you mention........ I probably ran into 3-4 Slick Chicks in my travels, selling/trading every one of them since space is of the essence, and wasn't a game that carried any pleasant memories of the past, but, I gave the last one I found a chance.

Like you said, there really is not much to do, only the left and right bullseye targets to shoot for, but what a challenge it is to set up for clear shots at them! There are the 1-4 rollovers to collect as well, and once they're cancelled, each rollover is a replay, but you really can't shoot for rollovers......Well, you can, but for me, the rate of success is too small. The drop hole spots a rollover, and you really need that as the upper #2 and #3 are a tough reach.

I know the gap between the flippers is kind of alarming, but noticing the lack of any side drains really does compensate. The center playfield drop hole is not nearly as intrusive as it looks in the pictures either. I never get the feeling I'm trying to avoid it. In fact, when lit for special, as you would imagine, the damn thing seems impossible to achieve! All in all, great game, perfect way to kill a few minutes waiting for dinner......

#33 8 years ago

Yeah I don't get the love for Slick Chica at all. Love me some Grand Prix.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah I don't get the love for Slick Chica at all. Love me some Grand Prix.

Slick Chick is a nudgefest but like I mentioned earlier after a while people stopped playing it at my house so I moved it on. Different players like different styles of gameplay is all I can figure. But it was very fun for a while.

#35 8 years ago

I've played it a bunch but never been excited. Maybe I'll sit down and give it some solid playtime to see if I'm missing something.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Maybe I'll sit down and give it some solid playtime to see if I'm missing something.

Try it standing up.

#37 8 years ago

I'm going to 2nd Dealers Choice.

First 1-9 Rollover=Double Bonus
    Second 1-9 Rollover=Triple Bonus
    Third 1-9 Rollover = Special

First 10-Ace Targets =Lights on playfield extra ball.
    Second 10-Ace Lights on playfield special.

These are fairly long sequences for a multiplayer EM. In terms of complexity, I think Williams OXO also deserves mentioning.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-some-of-the-best-em-rule-sets-and-why and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.