10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

just what are they-- and also was told that there was a fair amount of bubbling on the mylar could someone explain just what that is. I am new to hobby and I would like to learn just what all this means. Thanks

#2 10 years ago

They're a 3rd party company that makes replacement displays for machines. So say you wanted to replace an old alphanumeric plasma display, they'd sell you a new LED one that's a drop in replacement.

Mylar is the clear sticker that you can put over the playfield to protect it. When it gets warped etc it can bubble up, so you can see air pockets in it.

#3 10 years ago

Mylar is a clear plastic film that's used to protect parts of the playfield , if there's bubbling in it that means that parts of it are trying to come off.... Can be a pain to remove it too

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinHeadz:

if there's bubbling in it that means that parts of it are trying to come off

More specifically, it means that air has gotten under the mylar because the adhesive has weakened. Usually mylar in this condition is much easire to remove than mylar that is fully flat on the playfield. Bubbling mylar not only looks bad, it can affect ball travel. It should be either removed and replaced, or removed and left off - which is what I prefer. There are two prominent methods for removing the mylar and many threads about them: freezing or heating to release the mylar sheet is the first step, then rmoving the glue which is a process in itself which can be even more difficult to complete.

Read up the threads on these processes, if you can possibly practice on an old used playfield that would be even better. Personally I have had excellent results with the heat method using a heat gun, with no damage to the playfield at all. The most important thing to engrave in your mind with either process is TAKE YOUR TIME and do not rush. Good luck!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-rottendog-displays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.