(Topic ID: 101497)

What are people's feelings about modding?

By Trekkie1978

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by futurepinhead
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0395A.jpg
IMG_0442.JPG
mods.JPG

#1 6 years ago

Just looking for feedback.

My feeling is, like cars, I like the games to be original. I don't view updating lighting to LED as a mod.

2 of 3 games have no mods.

#2 6 years ago

Mods are ok IMO as long as two conditions are met:

1. They're tasteful and look like they belong in the game (I.E. Look "Factory")
2. They're reversible

#3 6 years ago

I think most of it is completely stupid, but to each their own. I like the look of LEDs, but I don;t like the look of putting dolls on top of my machines and calling them toppers.

#4 6 years ago

I love modding! People like Gio and Tim Mezel and all the other independent modders make it that every time I log onto pinside I end up sending a pay-pal payment for something I can't resist.

#5 6 years ago

I like them to be original as possible.

#6 6 years ago

My TZ is pretty french whored up becasue it was my first machine and I got into it for sure. Then I realized I'm spending so much money that could be going towards another machine.
I do still get one no and again...like the mezel snake fangs which are cool.

#7 6 years ago

I'm for it.

#8 6 years ago

The good mods are well worth it. At some point someone thought they could make a lot of money selling crap as mods and thats where the fun stopped.

#9 6 years ago

My Game / My rules.
If I want to mod it; it's my preoperative.
Think my stance on Modding is pretty well known given Star Trek: The Mirror Universe

#10 6 years ago

I keep most of my games all original but by the trends of my customers I would say I am in the minority. As long as it's reversible, no big deal.

#11 6 years ago

Reversible + tasteful = OK!

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

If I want to mod it; it's my preoperative.

Love it! God bless auto-correct.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Mods are ok IMO as long as two conditions are met:
1. They're tasteful and look like they belong in the game (I.E. Look "Factory")
2. They're reversible

I agree, my opinion is as long as its reversible they are okay. As soon as I get a game, I am usually taking out all of the LEDs and the action figures and what not. Some stay such as scoop lights and Uncle Lester has remained. Under cabinet LED strips I just disconnect.

#14 6 years ago

I love tasteful mods. All of our machines have minor mods.

In the photo below:

Top Left: Cyclone - The flags on either side of the Spookhouse were all but falling apart, so I made new ones that are very us.

Top Right: Maverick - My husband made & attached a set of smoke stacks, complete with "smoke"... an over sight in the design in our opinion

Middle Left: Hook - We added a Disneyland Blue Bayou souvenir light up Tink (off a straw) to the back corner She is connected to the pin & lights up white. My husband covered the back plate with a page from an over-sized Pirate calendar page. If I remember correctly, there was a "mirrored" back and it was all kinds of messed up.

Middle Right: DE Simpsons - Added a little figurine of Bart, Homer, Lisa, Marge & Krusty scattered around... double sided tape only.

Bottom Left: EATPM - We put Elvira's Caddy Hotwheel on top of the plastic covering the Coffin BBQ

Bottom Right: BoneBusters - We put an Ecto 1 Johnny Lightning on top of the center skill shot housing.

Not shown: My husband installed red LED's under all the boulders at the back of White Water & replaced some of the targets in Mystery Castle with eyeball targets from Tales from the Crypt... mostly because we could find any of the targets from Alvin G & because he got a screaming deal on the Tales targets... but now we love it... they look great!

mods.JPG
#15 6 years ago

I'm new to "modding". I have gotten into vacuum forming custom ramps. I have no desire to just reproduce a ramp, I want to improve it. I did a ramp for High Speed out of clear PETG that was not only stronger...and clear... but ball trajectory was re-engineered to eliminate the need for the cover over the ramp. Just completed a round of ramps for Space Station where I made it out of transparent dark blue acrylic (and clear PETG) then added a ball guide at the entrance as well as a Lexan ring at the drop hole...should last a long time.

#16 6 years ago

Modding is part of the hobby. In my opinion it's "one" of the best parts. But like others have said,as long as its blended in as if it was factory.

#17 6 years ago

I think you mean Uncle Fester...

Your uncle Lester is something else entirely.

RE Mods: Eh, whatever. It's your machine, so have fun. Not sure I get the fascination with LEDs, but it seems to be everywhere- not just pinball. LEDs?!?!?! Ooooooh, how trick.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from PIN_GROOM:

I think you mean Uncle Fester...
Your uncle Lester is something else entirely.

Haha, no, Uncle Lester was the name of the mod to avoid copyrighted infringement.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

to avoid copyrighted infringement

So...most likely pun intended, then.

#20 6 years ago

Not crazy about modding, I prefer even my instruction cards original (or exact copies on new paper). However....

Quoted from LunaStone:

DE Simpsons - Added a little figurine of Bart, Homer, Lisa, Marge & Krusty scattered around... double sided tape only.

....I was gonna do this exact same thing with the mini-figurines from my Simpsons movie dvd.

#21 6 years ago

I know some people hate mods because it's "not the original experience", but what about Stern having 3 versions?

If I was a young kid and I played nothing but pros at the arcade (because that's what usually gets routed), isn't buying a premium years after release going to give me a "not original experience"? And why does it need to be original? People mod cars all the time, doesn't mean it's wrong (though purists will devalue it).

I like mods that change it into what it should have been (led playfield bulbs vs incadescent bulbs, led displays instead of plasma, better speakers, powder coated metal, tasteful toppers when it didn't have one).

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

My TZ is pretty french whored up becasue it was my first machine and I got into it for sure. Then I realized I'm spending so much money that could be going towards another machine.

To be fair, it seems like there are more mods available for TZ than there are for all other machines combined.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Finrod:

To be fair, it seems like there are more mods available for TZ than there are for all other machines combined.

Not more then Tron, not even close.

#24 6 years ago

If someone wants to mod their machine, more power to them. They own it, so go crazy.

But, don't be surprised when you try and sell that modded machine that you either don't get the money out of it that you put into the mods, and/or you have a hard time selling the machine if potential buyers don't share your personal tastes.

Reversible mods seem like the safest bet.

#25 6 years ago

i dont like mods. some get in the way when you actually have to work on the game.
only leds i like is to save burned connectors or pop bumper caps.
A color changing led here and there is ok for light a lit spinner or lit mode.
not crazy bright leds.
All in my opinion (from a players point of view) of course.
very hard to play some pins with leds and they give me headaches.

#26 6 years ago

I think LEDs, speakers, and shakers are mandatory mods. I have a Pinball Refinery Metallica Premium that is loaded with mods, and I can't think of a single one that I would want to get rid of. The game experience is much improved with all of the mods on this game. There were mods that I didn't think would be worth the cost, but they turned out to be some of my favorites. Like custom painted Sparky and the hammer. The stock ones just look cheap to me now.

Things like backbox lighting, speaker lighting, and undercab lighting really make the whole experience better.

#27 6 years ago

I'm generally in favor of the idea of modding, but it's not uncommon for a mod to actually detract from the game. I'm not a fan of adding action figures or even toys that weren't originally on the game, or blocking the view of any part of the playfield that wasn't blocked prior to modding. I am a fan of replacing existing toys with higher quality or lit or otherwise more interactive versions, though.

I love making improvements to the lighting of a game, but very often the results are not an improvement. LEDS have the *potential* to improve the look of a game, but sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error to get it right.

And then there are also a lot of off-the-shelf mods that are just inarguably great:
- ColorDMD
- LED OCD and GI OCD
- Tron mini-arcade mod
- Cliffy protectors

#28 6 years ago

I love modding my pins......in a tasteful (subjective) and 99.8% reversible way. The only mod I've done that was not reversible was custom painting the Borg ship on STTNG......but it looks much better now.

Who doesn't like speaker upgrades? Or color DMD's?

I also have totally fallen for LED's. So, pretty much all of my pins get LED's and speaker upgrades at minimum.

#29 6 years ago

There is a difference between functional mods, and fancy mods.

Some functional mods have become a necessity to maintain a pinball in a better condition, like protectors. I consider LEDS a necessity too, considering the fact that the original lights produce a lot of heat and consume much more energy. Speakers just offer such a huge improvement.

I was not pro fancy modding, but it grew on me. I agree: Reversible + tasteful = OK!

#31 6 years ago

Hehe, this is a neverending story. If you want a heated discussion in a pinball event, this is the subject to pick.

I'm almost childishly impressed by all (professional) playfield mods from the likes of Pinball Decals and as earlier mentioned Mezel.

"He Who Dies With The Most Mods, Wins".

Based on a true story:
- All parts of my pin are o-r-i-g-i-n-a-l.
- But it doesn't work particularly good to even play on it.
- No, but it is all o-r-i-g-i-n-a-l.
- Seems like you are one too.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I'm new to "modding". I have gotten into vacuum forming custom ramps. I have no desire to just reproduce a ramp, I want to improve it. I did a ramp for High Speed out of clear PETG that was not only stronger...and clear... but ball trajectory was re-engineered to eliminate the need for the cover over the ramp. Just completed a round of ramps for Space Station where I made it out of transparent dark blue acrylic (and clear PETG) then added a ball guide at the entrance as well as a Lexan ring at the drop hole...should last a long time.

any pics ?

#34 6 years ago

Some mods are like grown men playing with doll houses (I'm crying over some of the Twilight Zones of the world). If the mod doesn't improve gameplay or that stock looks out of place, I can't be bothered.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Some mods are like grown men playing with doll houses (I'm crying over some of the Twilight Zones of the world). If the mod doesn't improve gameplay or that stock looks out of place, I can't be bothered.

HA

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
£ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 350.00
Boards
Pinball Basement
$ 19.99
$ 81.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside