(Topic ID: 68683)

What are my options beside Auto CC and Varathane?

By vipe_1

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by pinballfan
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

worn MM.jpg
worn MM2.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Ok, I guess this will be my first real post on Pinside. I've heard this is a very tough crowd, so we'll see how this goes .

I have an early 80's Gottlieb playfield I've just finished tearing down, cleaning and touching up. Everything has gone well so far imo.

So, I need to now protect those touchups and the playfield itself. My options seem to be clearcoat or mylar I guess. Let me say that I would like to have a finish that is close to the original. I will not do an automotive clearcoat on this playfield. I'm told after that my main option is Varathane. I don't want to do Varathane. It takes too long to cure and seems to have the same downsides as similar products.

Therefore, what are my options beyond slow curing Varathane and completely unnecessary auto clear? I've heard Minwax Poly, but then others say no on that. I've heard Krylon CC is easy to apply and is close to the original factory finish, but then I hear from everyone that is a terrible idea as well. Beyond just getting a sheet of Mylar and covering it with that, I don't know what to actually go with.

I'm looking for something that cures in less than a month, will protect the touchups, isn't difficult or hazardous, and has a nice sheen but not the "sheet of glass" look. The only reason I haven't just given up and gone with new mylar is the fact I question whether the flatter finish touchups I've done will blend in as well as they would under a clear.

#2 10 years ago

You could check out the post about UV curing resin. I tried some of the stuff and it is pretty amazing! It may not have the correct "sheen" you are looking for, but it cures in seconds. The stuff I used is called "clear cure goo hydro".

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-inserts-fogged-peeling-delaminated-with-uv-curing-resin

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from vipe_1:

Ok, I guess this will be my first real post on Pinside. I've heard this is a very tough crowd, so we'll see how this goes

Welcome to Pinside. This is an easy crowd when it comes to technical help.

#4 10 years ago

First choice is auto cc. Mylar I think fits our bill though. Cheap, simple, cures instantly. Remove able in case you ever wanna clear it.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for the welcome to Pinside....

Mylar isn't my first choice, but more of a fallback type of idea. Sometimes I think I wouldn't mind it, other times I think it probably isn't the way to go. I wouldn't be in this position if I had only had to touchup around the pop bumpers (I would just Mylar ring those), but I also had several insert circles and a few small areas around other parts of the field to do in black as well. While my touchups look good and match up, the acrylic paint I used doesn't have the right finish to match the glossier look of the original playfield artwork.

I was told clear would even that out, but that Mylar may not. It won't look good having areas that are "flatter" locked underneath Mylar.

The UV resin doesn't seem to be a full playfield option, but I appreciate the suggestion.

#6 10 years ago

Welcome to pinside, it is a good group of folks

I have only used the Spraymax 2k (can autoclear) shown here:
http://www.duo-county.com/~rob/pinball/clearcoat.html

But as you are looking for something a little different, here is a great comparison of several products:

http://www.pinrepair.com/clear/

I Imagine there is more but this should get you started.

Welcome aboard... I would start making MORE room in your house, tell the wife/girlfriend you love her and buckle in, you came at a great time.

Kerry D

#7 10 years ago

What's the game? Some games have "playfield protectors" available. It's a solid sheet of plastic that sits in the playfield totally flat, it's also held in by gravity, so it can always be removed without damaging the game.

If you don't want something permanent, it's a good solution.

http://www.bestofpinball.de/catalog/index.php/cPath/636/session/true

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from vipe_1:

The UV resin doesn't seem to be a full playfield option, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Sorry I thought you were just touching up a few spots....

In your case I would go with luckydogg420's suggestion.

#10 10 years ago

That SprayMax stuff looks like a good option, but has the same problems as auto clear. I don't know if I really want to buy a hazmat suit + respirator and gamble with my health over this. The warnings and amount of extra preparation needed to do just one playfield is a little scary.

#11 10 years ago

I still want to try this out maybe on an old nasty playfield just to see what happens
http://www.harborfreight.com/rustoleum-12-oz-gloss-crystal-clear-acrylic-enamel-spray-paint-67939.html

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from vipe_1:

That SprayMax stuff looks like a good option, but has the same problems as auto clear. I don't know if I really want to buy a hazmat suit + respirator and gamble with my health over this. The warnings and amount of extra preparation needed to do just one playfield is a little scary.

It's not a big deal, you need some disposable gloves, goggles and a basic organic vapor respirator. We're talking about $30-40 worth of basic safety gear. And it has the same problems because it is auto clear. Two part just like the big boy stuff.

Either you do it right or you don't, but there's not a magic shortcut that's going to protect the work you did from having a 1 1/16th steel sphere repeatedly rolled over it. If you're serious then don't be afraid to pick up a mask and gloves, it's really not a big deal. I just did it myself for the first time, it was easy.

#13 10 years ago

Does anybody know what the material actually was which was called "diamond plate"? That stuff was bullet proof!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Does anybody know what the material actually was which was called "diamond plate"? That stuff was bullet proof!

Diamondplate was Imron, an automotive 2-component urethane by Dupont.

It was NOT bulletproof at all. Look at the thousands of B/W playfields worn all the way down to the wood.

It was also not very clear and had a frosty look over inserts.

Today's 2 part isocyanate clears are both harder wearing and much more clear, allowing colors to really pop.

worn MM2.JPGworn MM2.JPG worn MM.jpgworn MM.jpg
#15 10 years ago

finitec 3000 is better than varathan.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-my-options-beside-auto-cc-and-varathane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.