Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by beini
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

as8 (resized).jpg
    A92AA166-536B-4C2D-A127-FA93C688CE33 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

What do you think are great pins to introduce kids to the hobby?

#2 2 years ago

World cup soccer would be a good one.

#3 2 years ago

What age range are you talking about, and if specific kids what are their interests?

Most all kids love dinosaurs - Jurassic Park
    Are they Mario fans - Super Mario Bros.
    Simple rule sets - early 90's Bally/Williams of your choosing

#4 2 years ago

Shrek. My son loves it.

#5 2 years ago

I agree with @mr_tantrum, ages and interests. Also, what is the budget?

Plenty of "family friendly" themes, and plenty of neutral themes as well. I also agree Jurassic Park is a good choice if the budget allows, but a nice 80's SS like Pinbot or Black Knight make a great introduction pin as they are simple enough to understand but complicated enough to be fun. Space Shuttle is another good choice.

#6 2 years ago

Data East Star Wars or Monster Bash. Both simple and fun.

#7 2 years ago

Another vote for World Cup Soccer. That one always comes up in these discussions and for good reason.

#8 2 years ago

I'd consider a Comet. Family friendly theme, not a deep rule set, ramps, which are fun. Way underpriced still,(in my opinion), especially given how everything is going up so fast. I got my Comet when my eldest son was 1. My kids are now 24,23,20 and 18 and they still love Comet. I realize that may be because they grew up on it but a lot of their friends will walk past everything else to play Comet!

#9 2 years ago

I have a 3 year old I swore would like JP. Nope. He only likes Chexx Hockey (as do I!)

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Quoted from Krupps4:

Another vote for World Cup Soccer. That one always comes up in these discussions and for good reason.

Make it 3 votes
    Easy to understand and kids love when they score a Gooooooooool

#12 2 years ago

My 11 yo loves Willy Wonka

#13 2 years ago

Data East rocky and Bullwinkle
    Get the Color DmD

#14 2 years ago

I have four kids and most of their friends skipped my Funhouse, Addams, and Whirlwind. My king of diamonds was the most popular.

#15 2 years ago

Monster Bash and Medieval Madness are my 7 yr old’s favorites. Blowing up the castle is his and his friends favorite thing.

#16 2 years ago

Our twins now 5, absolutely love playing Transformers since they were 3. Before I sold, they also really enjoyed Sega Harley Davidson and Lost in Space. Nightmare on Elm Street they enjoy, it’s kind of a spooky fun for them.

Depending on age, kids love the lights and sounds period, it mostly doesn’t matter the title. Our teenager loves pinball in general, so just about any game. Although, she gets aggravated when I keep topping her high score....

#17 2 years ago

World Cup soccer 94

#18 2 years ago

My daughters (8 and 3) love World Cup Soccer. They also enjoy playing Monster Bash and Junk Yard quite a bit. None of the other games in my garage (CV, Shadow, PZ, Funhouse) get much love from them.

#19 2 years ago

My girls' favorites are hot wheels, party zone, space shuttle, Godzilla, ghostbusters, and Jurassic park

#20 2 years ago

I’ve got a lot of young kids in my family. Top 4 favorites:

-Super Mario Bros
    -Jacks Open (shockingly)
    -Lights Camera Action
    -Attack from Mars

The Gottlieb flippers really lend well to them being able to actually control the ball. They love it. None of them actually know what’s going on gameplay wise but they like each one for a different reason:

-Mario because it’s Mario.
    -I genuinely don’t know why they like Jacks Open. I thought it was for the chimes, but they don’t gravitate towards any of my other EMs. I’m thinking it’s because the drops are easy to hit.
    -Lights Camera Action exclusively for the gun fight and watching the playfield spin around. Literally nothing else.
    -Attack from Mars because they like “killing” the mothership.

Also, I’ve found they definitely prefer games with the button launcher. It’s just easier for them to launch the ball into play than it is to grasp and pull back on a plunger.

#21 2 years ago

EM: Any drop target game. I would recommend El Dorado
    Early Solid State: Black Knight
    The above games are easy to explain to a young child.
    80s A/N: Pinbot
    90s DMD: World Cup Soccer 94: Broadest appeal agewise. Little kids can always just score goals.
    90s DMD with budget: My little one plays Attack from Mars the Most
    90s DMD for older kid, Data East Jurassic Park... kids love watching the dinosaur eat the ball.
    Modern: Not much for little kids, but Stern Jurassic Park, Mandolorian, or Star Wars for theme.

Remember that little kids have a tablet in their hands from a young age and they are more interested in the tactile feel/experience of the game.

If I had to give a single recommendation it would be World Cup Soccer.

It's easy. There are lots of toys. If you don't understand the rules you can just shoot goals. There is a giant puppy dog on the translite for crying out loud.

Source: I have a 5, 8, and 10 year old.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I’ve got a lot of young kids in my family. Top 4 favorites:
    -Super Mario Bros
    -Jacks Open (shockingly)
    -Lights Camera Action
    -Attack from Mars
    The Gottlieb flippers really lend well to them being able to actually control the ball. They love it. None of them actually know what’s going on gameplay wise but they like each one for a different reason:
    -Mario because it’s Mario.
    -I genuinely don’t know why they like Jacks Open. I thought it was for the chimes, but they don’t gravitate towards any of my other EMs. I’m thinking it’s because the drops are easy to hit.
    -Lights Camera Action exclusively for the gun fight and watching the playfield spin around. Literally nothing else.
    -Attack from Mars because they like “killing” the mothership.
    Also, I’ve found they definitely prefer games with the button launcher. It’s just easier for them to launch the ball into play than it is to grasp and pull back on a plunger.

Hi, i was also thinking the button launch for the younger kids and yes mario pin because its mario

#23 2 years ago

If you can afford it the P3 by multimorphic would likely be a hit. Big screen and some good kids games like rocs and barnyard

#24 2 years ago

Another vote for WCS'94 ! Have had mine for years and it not only draws in and gets the kids interested, but I've found it's the one that non-pinball adults tend to gravitate to since it's so easy to understand. Gooooooaaaaaaalllllllllll !!!

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

EM: Any drop target game. I would recommend El Dorado
    Early Solid State: Black Knight
    The above games are easy to explain to a young child.
    80s A/N: Pinbot
    90s DMD: World Cup Soccer 94: Broadest appeal agewise. Little kids can always just score goals.
    90s DMD with budget: My little one plays Attack from Mars the Most
    90s DMD for older kid, Data East Jurassic Park... kids love watching the dinosaur eat the ball.
    Modern: Not much for little kids, but Stern Jurassic Park, Mandolorian, or Star Wars for theme.
    Remember that little kids have a tablet in their hands from a young age and they are more interested in the tactile feel/experience of the game.
    It's easy. There are lots of toys. If you don't understand the rules you can just shoot goals. There is a giant puppy dog on the translite for crying out loud.
    Source: I have a 5, 8, and 10 year old.

Hi, i already own el dorado, in fixing mode, little left but i clearly need to check out world soccer.

#26 2 years ago

Most kids will get bored with anything after playing for a few months. Just keep rotating when it happens. Keeping it fresh is the best thing if you want them to stay interested.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

What age range are you talking about, and if specific kids what are their interests?
    Most all kids love dinosaurs - Jurassic Park
    Are they Mario fans - Super Mario Bros.
    Simple rule sets - early 90's Bally/Williams of your choosing

My 4y old girl loves mario and i tjink the launch butyon could be very helpfull for the young once.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Most kids will get bored with anything after playing for a few months. Just keep rotating when it happens. Keeping it fresh is the best thing if you want them to stay interested.

I cant rotate as there isnt much of a community here or pins around in Iceland. So i was thinking what pin would be great to ship and this is the best place to ask about it, of course.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

This. My boys when younger played whatever was new for a little while and then never again. They are now teens and never play. I always say buy what you want to play.

1 month later
    #30 2 years ago

I’ve been thinking long and hard on this, and my top 3 pins for young kids would be:

1. The Walking Dead
    2. Rob Zombie
    3. The Sopranos

#31 2 years ago

Perfect answer for 1.april

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I’ve been thinking long and hard on this, and my top 3 pins for young kids would be:
    1. The Walking Dead
    2. Rob Zombie
    3. The Sopranos

Perfect answer for april fools

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from beini:

Perfect answer for 1.april

Perfect answer for april fools

Yeah, I’m slow like that sometimes.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Yeah, I’m slow like that sometimes.

Happens to everybody

#34 2 years ago

My kids, 9 and 12, and I, 47, have had our Whirlwind since the beginning of March and have put around 1000 games on it. To this day, the kids will turn it on and start playing on their own, as well as join in if I start up a game, and that’s coming up on 8 weeks since we brought it home. The fan topper is fun, as well as the playfield tornadoes, the compass targets are easy to understand, and while my 12yo has a more sophisticated understanding of the rules than my 9yo, they’re both very invested in the bragging rights of who’s hit the toll ramp the most times in a row. There’s just a lot to like.

That said…

Quoted from grantopia:

Quoted from Krupps4:

Another vote for World Cup Soccer.

Quoted from PappaDubz:

Make it 3 votes
    Easy to understand and kids love when they score a Gooooooooool

Quoted from NY2Colorado:

World Cup soccer 94

Quoted from Pwedge:

My daughters (8 and 3) love World Cup Soccer.

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Quoted from ChesterWhite:

Another vote for WCS'94 !

Damn! I apparently really need to check out WCS!

2 months later
    #35 1 year ago

My 5 year old son loves T2, despite how difficult it is (robots!)
    But just today put up 1.8b on WCS. I’m so proud.

A92AA166-536B-4C2D-A127-FA93C688CE33 (resized).jpegA92AA166-536B-4C2D-A127-FA93C688CE33 (resized).jpeg
    #36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Loganpinball:

Shrek. My son loves it.

Shrek, hands down. I have a large collection, that is the game that my five year old and his friends want to play all the time…

#37 1 year ago

My kid's favorite game is JJP GNR. The combination of the lights and sound draw them in and it's a game they can jam away on a bunch of multiballs. They play it 10 to 1 over any of my other games. It's also my 8 year olds favorite band.

#38 1 year ago

Funny, all the kids here liked Aerosmith. Because of 'The Lady' on the backglass.

as8 (resized).jpgas8 (resized).jpg

#39 1 year ago

When my nieces/nephews come to visit they like The Beatles the most. I don't think they're even fans of the band but they just love that pin for some reason. I think it's all the bright colors and spinning record disc that attracts them to it. Willy Wonka is probably their second favorite and Mando would be third.

They don't really care for the other kid-friendly stuff like TMNT, Avengers IQ, or Jurassic Park home pin.

#40 1 year ago

Ultimately, small kids like simple games they can understand. A game like Target Alpha will be easier for them to understand than Mandalorian, though they may like the relatable theme, flashy lights and nice display more…they will never the learn the rules but can easily learn the rules of Target Alpha.

Pinball machines are so complex today, they are a bit daunting for kids if the kids are not in to pinball. Shrek is pretty strait-forward, many of the SAM games are pretty approachable.

#41 1 year ago

When my boys were young, some liked pinball and some didn’t. I found their tastes were no less unique than mine. My only real pinball player of four sons loved ACDC. He would sing the songs in the bathtub while playing with his toys. Sometimes it’s hard to figure. He’s 15 now and still says he can’t believe I sold it.

1 week later
    #42 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Ultimately, small kids like simple games they can understand. A game like Target Alpha will be easier for them to understand than Mandalorian, though they may like the relatable theme, flashy lights and nice display more…they will never the learn the rules but can easily learn the rules of Target Alpha.
    Pinball machines are so complex today, they are a bit daunting for kids if the kids are not in to pinball. Shrek is pretty strait-forward, many of the SAM games are pretty approachable.

I actually do own el dorado, which is like the one player game for target alpha great game.

#43 1 year ago

I am maybe getting super mario bros in the next two weeks hopefully, i just know it will be a great pin for my daughter as she loves mario bros and her fav. color is blue. I dont think i can go wrong

Akso it has button launch which does help her to play from start to finish.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-are-great-pins-for-kids and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.