(Topic ID: 323827)

What Arcade Monthly Subscriptions Are You Paying?

By SantaEatsCheese

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

#1 1 year ago

I just read and was astonished to learn that some of the Big Buck Hunter games require a monthly subscription. I'm curious, not counting yearly fees (Spooky Fang Club, Stern Insider Connected) what monthly fees for arcade stuff is out there, and what for?

#2 1 year ago

Im old i guess. None.

#3 1 year ago

None, but I do put funny captions in the payment field like “dildo of the month club subscription” when I PayPal a few of my friends funds for arcade and pinball parts.
Kind of an ongoing joke with a couple of my friends.

#4 1 year ago

As of now Golden Tee and Insider Connect. Yeah BBH is expensive.

#5 1 year ago

Add me to the "none" list.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

. Yeah BBH is expensive.

Just curious. What’s the cost of the subscription?

#7 1 year ago

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Just curious. What’s the cost of the subscription?

It is $40 a month. Gets you access to online stats/tournaments, as well as Reloaded content (Terminator, Zombies, etc. As well as several other “traditional” animal treks to hunt).

I was paying for it for about a year before deciding to turn it off. NEVER played the Reloaded content. And while it was nice to have stats and occasional online tourney, wasn’t worth close to what they’re charging. Consider me old-fashioned, but paying $6K for NIB arcade…I shouldn’t have to pay to play. If my kids and friends didn’t love it so much I’d have already sold it by now. Great build quality on cabinet and super fun game; just terrible business model from the consumer side of the barrel.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from wdbthree:

It is $40 a month. Gets you access to online stats/tournaments, as well as Reloaded content (Terminator, Zombies, etc. As well as several other “traditional” animal treks to hunt).
I was paying for it for about a year before deciding to turn it off. NEVER played the Reloaded content. And while it was nice to have stats and occasional online tourney, wasn’t worth close to what they’re charging. Consider me old-fashioned, but paying $6K for NIB arcade…I shouldn’t have to pay to play. If my kids and friends didn’t love it so much I’d have already sold it by now. Great build quality on cabinet and super fun game; just terrible business model from the consumer side of the barrel.

One last thought: would make sense to me if PlayMechanix/Stern/etc wanted to move to Pelaton’s new model: instead of paying $4k for hardware upfront you can “lease” and pay monthly content subscription fee. With some penalty for cancelation before some set duration. But charging full price for cabinet purchase + monthly vig to play just doesn’t feel right.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from wdbthree:

One last thought: would make sense to me if PlayMechanix/Stern/etc wanted to move to Pelaton’s new model: instead of paying $4k for hardware upfront you can “lease” and pay monthly content subscription fee. With some penalty for cancelation before some set duration. But charging full price for cabinet purchase + monthly vig to play just doesn’t feel right.

Every keystone Stern would see a bunch of cancellations and the same people “leading” the newest game.

Might as well offer upgrades at that point

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I just read and was astonished to learn that some of the Big Buck Hunter games require a monthly subscription. I'm curious, not counting yearly fees (Spooky Fang Club, Stern Insider Connected) what monthly fees for arcade stuff is out there, and what for?

BBH and IT/Golden Tee really invented the arcade subscription model and it goes back to the late 2000s early 2010s they’ve been at it a while.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-arcade-monthly-subscriptions-are-you-paying and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.