20240401_120541.jpg
20240401_120549.jpg
Screenshot_20240402_133139_Facebook.jpg
IMG_2065 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2066 (resized).jpeg
20240313_195826 (resized).jpg
IMG_0071 (resized).JPG
IMG_0075 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pahuffman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#653 8 years ago
Quoted from eb94114:

I'm in San Francisco and would have to ship, too. Not sure if it would be worth it. I welcome any thoughts. Thanks.

I would never purchase a large item like that from Craigslist and trust the seller with my money. You're too far away to do anything about it if he screws you over. You can never be too careful when dealing with people on the internet.

1 year later
#1592 7 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

I have a golden tee 2016. Buck hunter HD, NASCAR drivers with need for speed carbons in it. Just picked this NBA jam with WWE and 2 on 2 hockey boards. up over the weekend

I only have 2 things to say:

1) SWEEP BABY - GO PREDS!!!!!!!!!
2) Nice gameroom!

2 months later
#1627 6 years ago

You know, I had a MAME cabinet for a while, but there were so many games it was almost overwhelming. I feel like if I narrowed it down to 250 games or so the experience would have been better. The problem is that I didn't grow up while these games were in arcades, so I had no idea what to play aside from NBA Jam, Golden Tee, Galaga, and a hand full of others.

3 years later
#3039 3 years ago
Quoted from Gumby510:

Punchout I just restored

Beautiful!

1 month later
#3062 3 years ago
Quoted from mkk629:

Recently picked up a really nice Blitz (from fellow Pinsider rollinover) to go with my Open Ice (also previously obtained from rollinover).

Sweet setup!

9 months later
#3355 2 years ago
Quoted from Marshall_ry:

I don’t love the quality of the games I was most interested in.

What do you mean? Visually?

#3357 2 years ago
Quoted from Marshall_ry:

Visually some games are choppy, but more in terms of game selection. I was told “there’s 16,000 games included. Something for everyone”

I really wanted the arcade versions of Gauntlet Legends, NFL Blitz, NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat. The classic late 90’s arcade games. For some of those games the arcade version isn’t on my system or the gameplay is terrible. I find myself searching for the best console version of the game in the SNES or N64 menu.

I’ve put a handful of games in my favorites list and will keep weeding through and trying different games, but I was hoping to build a favorites list of 30ish good arcade games and be in heaven. Probably should’ve seen that was too good to be true.

I also don’t like the user interface, but from a software changing perspective I am lost. I wish I could pay someone to customize it into a simple interface with just the games I’m interested it.

I have a decent amount of experience setting up MAME cabs, and it can definitely one of those "too good to be true" promises for exactly the reasons you mentioned. The choppyness comes from trying to run games at their arcade frame rate (e.g. Mortal Kombat at rougly 54 fps) on a 60 fps monitor. You can get around this by using a variable refresh rate monitor and a graphics card, but that would be difficult with a screen that size. You can also force the games to run at 60 fps in the settings without skipping, but it will run faster or slower than it would in the arcade.

Any specific ROMs you want can be found online easily, but knowing how to set them up with artwork and bezels takes some learning.

If you're unhappy, I recommend selling the cab and spending the money on a not-garbage computer with a graphics card (I have a cheapo Dell Optiplex 710 with an i7-3770 and a GTX 1050 low profile and it runs MAME just fine at full speed). Get around 150 working perfectly at full speed with a variable refresh monitor, decide what features you want, and build it yourself. Find an old arcade cabinet as a base or commission a custom one online. There are tons of places that do this. In the meantime, you can pick up an X-Arcade Tankstick to play with until you get a cab built.

And I definitely understand the "death by decisions" when it comes to the games. I find that having only 150 or so games on the cab at any time keeps it from being overwhelming for you or guests. I also recommend a trackball because Golden Tee is a huge hit.

It's a fun project but it does require some research.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pahuffman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-arcade-games-do-you-own?tu=pahuffman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.