20240401_120541.jpg
20240401_120549.jpg
Screenshot_20240402_133139_Facebook.jpg
IMG_2065 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2066 (resized).jpeg
20240313_195826 (resized).jpg
IMG_0071 (resized).JPG
IMG_0075 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jhanley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2012 6 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Wish I knew this about you before I sold the cabinet to you. I have MANY original games. Its what I prefer. If I could find super nice original games id just buy them and be done. Shockingly, beautiful original 40 year old games are NOT available. Maybe if I started collecting in 1987 I would have found them all.
What IS available, are trashed, mouse turd ridden, water logged, smoked out, used condom filled, disingrating cabinets.
You may not mind having that in your game room, but I do.
If I find a game that has what I consider a salvageable cabinet, I RESTORE the wood using bondo, wood hardners, etc sand the crap out it, then touch it up.
If not, I replace the wood. Cutting a new cabinet by hand. No CNC - using the same, or as close as possible to the original material.
If the cabinet was painted or stenciled originally, then the cabinet is painted exactly how it was from the factory. Not an easy task.
After that I apply NOS artwork if I can find it. So far I’ve acquired and scanned, RESTORED, and archived 150+ pieces of NOS art. Art that is now safely preserved.
If I can’t find NOS, I look for the next best thing - screen printed reproduction art.
If I can’t find either, I scan the artwork directly off the game - which I might add is usually in really bad shape (scratches, tears, bubbling, shrinking, fading) then I RESTORE that artwork, do several color corrections, and print it. A very time consuming and meticulous task.
The machines are then broken down into dozens of pieces and sorted.
The glass is replaced, the electronics and wiring are cleaned up. Monitors are replaced or rebuilt. Pcbs are fixed, power supplies are bullet proofed. Bulbs replaced.
The plastics and t-molding are replaced or RESTORED.
The metal is RESTORED or in some cases fabricated when missing or too far gone. Rust is sand blasted away and replaced with powder coating. Or chrome, zinc, etc. Or a crap ton of polishing does the trick.
Controls are all dialed in and everything is tested and adjusted for optimal playability.
So enough of your re-creation BS. There’s a lot more to it than replacing wood.
A funny thing is, I’m betting you used Reproduction cpo and bezel artwork on that Reactor cabinet I sold you. Or even a new monitor, new buttons, leg leveled, bolts or smoked glass. If you did anything to this or any other game you own you’d be very hypocritical.

I have to say your restorations are nothing short of incredible.I wouldn't come close to having the patience to do what you do.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jhanley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-arcade-games-do-you-own?tu=jhanley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.