IMG_2065 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2066 (resized).jpeg
20240313_195826 (resized).jpg
IMG_0071 (resized).JPG
IMG_0075 (resized).JPG
IMG_0084 (resized).JPG
IMG_0090 (resized).JPG
IMG_0083 (resized).JPG
unico-usa-posts-updated-pictures-of-the-nova-blast-candy-v0-vkeee6q8fr5c1 (resized).jpg
IMG_1269.jpg
image000003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9255 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4283 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9951 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
satan's Hollow (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brainmegaphone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1711 6 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Anyone have a Battletoads?

I have the jamma PCB but not the dedicated game.

2 months later
#1772 6 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Picked up a '78 Atari Football game not too long ago. It plays! But tough!
... but will benefit from new trackball rollers-n-bearings as well as a cap kit for the monitor.
Game on!

I helped my uncle fix his. Replace the giant cap on the power supply too... that will cause monitor noise as well. There was either one or two giant caps on that supply I don’t remember.

#1793 6 years ago

The multi boards are CRAP. Let me say that again - CRAP. Total quantity no quality.

To do it right use a Raspberry PI or do a PC based mame machine.

If you plan to use it for 1 day a year the multi board is fine but if you want any real use out of it and want the games to play and sound reasonably accurate do not touch the multi boards.

#1800 6 years ago
Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

I have a 60 in 1 game, the games look, play and sound just like I remember when I was a kid. What’s crap about them? Or maybe you’re talking about something different from what I have. I ask because this is my first arcade machine and am not very knowledgeable yet. Mine is JAMMA if that matters. Is that better than MAME? I would like to get a machine that plays games in the horizontal orientation and was considering one that had a lot more than my 60 in 1, something like a Game Gate. Should I be looking at something different? I appreciate any education you can send my way. Thanks.

You have a multi board which is one of the “better” ones but that is relatively speaking. That board essentially knocks off emulated games. To put it another way, it is slightly worse than emulation but still technically emulation. If you compare the games to the actual hardware or a properly configured MAME system you will see some differences in the graphics and will hear many differences in the sound. The 60 in 1 is fine but it is a $40 board and you get what you pay for. The games will mostly seem right to you since you haven’t played the real hardware recently to compare. I also dislike the menu and the way it kicks you out after each game.

Instead of a 60 in 1 I use a raspberry pi. This allows me to customize the game list to ANYTHING I want, emulates far more accurately and also does other cool stuff like saving high scores. The cost of a plug and play jamma raspberry pi is about $200. The Pi itself is $30 but the jamma hardware that makes it plug and play costs more. You can also do it yourself much cheaper if you have the inclination.

I think for anyone who is really into arcade games (plays a few hours a week) you really do yourself a disservice with a multi board and should really use a PC for mame or raspberry pi. This is merely my opinion though. Many people don’t like to handle configuring games and stuff. It’s all personal preference.

#1801 6 years ago

I have a 60 in 1 game, the games look, play and sound just like I remember when I was a kid. What’s crap about them? Or maybe you’re talking about something different from what I have. I ask because this is my first arcade machine and am not very knowledgeable yet. Mine is JAMMA if that matters. Is that better than MAME? I would like to get a machine that plays games in the horizontal orientation and was considering one that had a lot more than my 60 in 1, something like a Game Gate. Should I be looking at something different? I appreciate any education you can send my way. Thanks.

To answer your other questions: JAMMA is the wiring standard for how your game is wired. So you can plug and play any JAMMA comparable arcade board in that machine.

Game Gate I have no opinion of. There are a lot of those out there. They all do the same thing - they provide you with a pre configured MAME setup and make you pay for their work. MAME is the better way to play the games so I don’t object to it. I personally don’t find value in paying someone to do it for me but that just because I enjoyed figuring it out for myself. Everyone is different.

You will find the same games on your 60 in 1 will play better on a MAME game gate or similar system.

MAME isn’t difficult and there is a ton of info and videos out there on it if you want to get your feet wet.

#1803 6 years ago

Thank you for the info, I guess I have some research to do.

If I can help in any way please send me a note. Always happy to help. If you like tinkering you’ll definitely want to go raspberry pi route.

#1806 6 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

I've got a dozen dedicated games - particularly my absolute favorite games that ALSO have unusual controls... but they take up a ton of space. I'm only willing to deal with the maintenance expense for a small select few titles.
One of the best things about emulation is the variety of different games. It's a TON of fun just quickly looking at the thousands of games made over the years. Finding a great game you've never seen before is a blast. With my Shield setup (linked above), it's really easy to 'explore'.

I’m basically in the same boat. I have 19 games (6 of them pins). When it comes to the arcade ones I have some great games but I still decided to use a mame setup for variety. It works well. I have many extra pcbs to swap in and out but I just can’t own that much hardware space wise never mind money wise.

#1852 6 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

I am torn on this. I agree it's really nice for certain games but putting it in a comfortable location didn't work with my control panel (so I rarely use it). I haven't tried the switchable controls but if those are nice, that would be ideal.

The mag stick works well. Allows you to switch easily from 4 way to 8 way.

#1867 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I have a quick question for you Arcade Guys. I'm 100% EM Pinball/Arcade but
have a Ms. Pacman where at start up, the screen has fuzzy white lines, and the
play meter just keeps counting. Actually this happens when it's first turned on.
Activating the coin switch doesn't do/change anything. Not sure, but a coin may
have gotten stuck leaving the coin switch closed. This is probably a problem in
the main board, right? (T)

First thing to establish is whether you get the same image on the monitor regardless of whether the game board is hooked up (you can remove video signal from the monitor to check this). Ideally you’d next test the PCB in another known working Pac-Man game... but if you can’t do that you should start at power (is the game getting 5v where appropriate).

When an arcade game is broken and it isn’t the monitor it is often tied to power issues somehow (bad supply or bad connection).

2 months later
#2017 5 years ago
Quoted from eb94114:

I've gotten away from pins a bit and am trying to track down the last couple arcade games I've been after. I know some of them are bigger fish, so I thought I would post here. Anyone happen to have a Forgotten Worlds, Food Fight, Williams Bubbles, or Ghosts 'n Goblins for sale? If so, please send me a PM. Thanks for your time.

That is a tough list there! Food Fight and GNG? You want some Unicorn meat too?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brainmegaphone.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-arcade-games-do-you-own?tu=brainmegaphone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.